AAA Fatigue Has Set In, Recommend Some Indies? (PC)

Grey Swordsman

Don't Let Your Dreams Be Memes!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I like games with character customization, or deep customization in general quite a lot. I also love games that have/allow mods, Steam Workshop or otherwise. I'm looking for games that have a great single-player mode, multiplayer being optional. As for the genres, I do like strategy games like Civilization V, Action games like Dragon Ball XV2, (mainly due to the RNG and customization elements), and I don't shy away from the anime gaming genre, although I'm getting sort of fed up with Visual Novel sub-genre. Racing games are fun too, I just don't like customizing vehicles, which is an exception lol.

Here's a list of games already on my Wishlist:
  • Terraria
  • Stardew Valley
  • Divinity Orginal Sin 2
  • GreedFall - Owned it before, I enjoyed it.
  • Cult of the Lamb
  • Banishers Ghosts of New Eden
  • Kingmakers - This game looks absolutely amazing
  • Baldur's Gate 3

You guys got any ideas of where I should start? I'm also open to trying other PC platforms like GoG, which is why "PC" is in the title. Finally tired of the landscape of gaming, and would rather help out indie developers and publishers.

Brotato is cheap (and also on sale) and a great micro game that does an entire aRPGs worth of gearing and character customization in a hour long run. Death's Door doesn't have much customization but it plays phenomenally well and is also on sale cheap now. This will seem like a weird AAAish recommendation but Mortal Kombat 11 as a solo game has a ton of character customization and can basically be played as a clicker/gearing simulator which I found super addictive for a really long time and it can be picked up really cheap (Injustice 2 is also similar and cheap right now).

Honestly my biggest general recommendation though would be to buy one of the bundles that has stuff in it that seems interesting to you, the Killer Bundle on Fanatical is a great deal if you don't have any, also an indie RPG bundle there, there's a few available on Humble, etc. If you get 5-10 games and only 1 or 2 click for you then it's great value. Either that or just get a game pass sub and try some stuff out there.

Honestly my biggest general recommendation though would be to buy one of the bundles that has stuff in it that seems interesting to you, the Killer Bundle on Fanatical is a great deal if you don't have any, also an indie RPG bundle there, there's a few available on Humble, etc. If you get 5-10 games and only 1 or 2 click for you then it's great value. Either that or just get a game pass sub and try some stuff out there.
This sounds like a great idea to try, never really did buy gaming bundles that much but it sounds like a good way to test out a variety of indie titles. Thanks a lot for that suggestion. I'll honestly avoid MK11 and Injustice 2 though, I can't keep complaining about the gaming industry if I don't go help the smaller studios instead. Pretty sure I'll be shopping on GoG a lot more if the game I'm after is available over there too. Will check out Brotato, you made it sound interesting.

This sounds like a great idea to try, never really did buy gaming bundles that much but it sounds like a good way to test out a variety of indie titles. Thanks a lot for that suggestion. I'll honestly avoid MK11 and Injustice 2 though, I can't keep complaining about the gaming industry if I don't go help the smaller studios instead. Pretty sure I'll be shopping on GoG a lot more if the game I'm after is available over there too. Will check out Brotato, you made it sound interesting.
Hey, Jiseru let me know that you were having trouble getting in touch. I sent a message, but I'm not sure if it went through.

My go-to for indie recommendations is Cave Story. It's free, and it's a well-designed 2D action platformer.

I think Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night counts as indie. Great metroidvania. Hollow Knight's another good metroidvania.

Little Nightmares is semi-indie. It was developed by an indie studio, but I think Namco published it. I recall it being simple and straightforward. It's only three hours, so it may be better to wait for a discount.

That reminds me, Steam's Summer Sale will probably start around the end of June.

If I think of more, I'll update the post.

The Precinct is 100% on my radar now, I'm very interested in that one. I'll have to check out Bloodstained Ritual of the Night again because I didn't give it a fair shot when it came out, and I've only heard good things about Hollow Knight and Little Nightmares. There's a lot of good stuff out there, just isn't as easy to find it seems lol. Thanks everyone for the recommendations, and feel free to use this thread to keep em coming.

I like games with character customization, or deep customization in general quite a lot. I also love games that have/allow mods, Steam Workshop or otherwise. I'm looking for games that have a great single-player mode, multiplayer being optional. As for the genres, I do like strategy games like Civilization V, Action games like Dragon Ball XV2, (mainly due to the RNG and customization elements), and I don't shy away from the anime gaming genre, although I'm getting sort of fed up with Visual Novel sub-genre. Racing games are fun too, I just don't like customizing vehicles, which is an exception lol.

Here's a list of games already on my Wishlist:
  • Terraria
  • Stardew Valley
  • Divinity Orginal Sin 2
  • GreedFall - Owned it before, I enjoyed it.
  • Cult of the Lamb
  • Banishers Ghosts of New Eden
  • Kingmakers - This game looks absolutely amazing
  • Baldur's Gate 3

You guys got any ideas of where I should start? I'm also open to trying other PC platforms like GoG, which is why "PC" is in the title. Finally tired of the landscape of gaming, and would rather help out indie developers and publishers.
Divinity Original Sin 2 (DOS2) and Baldur's Gate 3 (BG3) are great choices for you based on your love of character building and single-player RPGs

Ended up picking Gloomhaven and Severed Steel, both look like great games. I also tried out Session Skate Sim, but I ended up not liking it at all lol. That's how it goes though, don't know if you'll enjoy a game until you try them.

The ones I'm still looking forward to the most haven't been released yet: Kingmakers. The Precinct, and Eternal Exodus.

bread's done
Back