Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I'm tempted to get the Monster Hunter bundle at Humble. $30 is a lot, but it looks like it's two games and a good sized expansion for each.

Are they both worth playing? Are the expansions worth getting? It seems like a lot of Monster Hunter and I've never played one before.

Anyone have any experience with the series?

I’ve been playing the series since 2009 with claw hand on the PSP, if that means anything.

MHW is probably the best entry point. It’s very streamlined compared to previous entries in the series, quite polished, and has had an amazing amount of work and effort put into the environments and monster behaviors to make the world feel alive. It’s also unfortunately the most content-lite entry in the series—it was the first game originally made for something more powerful than the Wii, so they had to remake all the assets essentially from scratch—, but you can still sink a ton of time into even the base game if it clicks with you, and the expansion adds a lot of content, too.

Rise is more of an experimental title—Monster Hunter has a tradition of having a side entry with every numbered one, and Rise is that for World (which is essentially MH5 in all but name). These side entries used to just be pretty standard MH, but for portable consoles, but once the home/portable split ended, they started going more experimental with the gameplay. Rise introduces a lot of combat and traversal innovations that make gameplay very fast paced, but in general the quality of the monster fights and environments sort of suffers due to that focus. It’s an interesting title, and it might be more appealing than the main series depending on what you want out of it, but it’s only loosely indicative of the sort of experience you’re likely to get with most games in the franchise (for the record, World is so streamlined it’s also not a great representation of the experience of playing the older titles, but it’s still much closer than Rise). From what I’ve heard from series veterans who play more than me, Sunbreak is a significant step up in quality compared to the base game, but I haven’t tried it yet.

MonHun expansions are always worth it. They add a ton of content, and recent examples add noteworthy gameplay changes. Back in the day before World when they finally made the expansions standalone, it was usually worth it to just wait till the expanded version got released. There’s only ever been one per game (before 4, there was only one per “generation”), so other than cosmetic DLC, you’re getting the full experience if you buy the base game + expansion combos here.

And gospelman’s right about the DRM. No personal experience running into issues yet, but I haven’t played much since it was added.

Fallout: New Vegas.

Recent update in Steam Beta Branch for NV:
-> https://steamdb.info/app/22380/history/

So, yeah - just in case....you might wanna back-up your NV files/folders/installers - if you got 'em, in case Bethesda and/or Obsidian break mods with updates. Especially if you got NV on Steam and/or Epic.
GOG owners - just back-up old-version installers; disable updates over on Galaxy on NV or globally to GOG, if you got mods and don't want updates.

Vid on this on Youtube:

Got the games on GOG, so I'll be good. We know this will be a mess on launch.

On a not as positive note as well I have a few Steam impressions including 2 actual wins in games! These are three from my Steam Library, but two are currently in bundles. They are for Cookie Cutter and both the Right and Down games (the original and with dice). No recommendations here.

Cookie Cutter is a Metroidvania more along the line of Guacamelee. This game looks really good and is mainly a brawler with an IMHO pretty poor brawling system. The quirk of it is that light attacks get energy for your stronger attacks. You can combo light and stronger attacks to take down foes generally in arenas. All this takes place in a run down future place where I believe robots have replaced people on Earth. Generally the story other than told by the just OK characters is told through system logs (not a good way to do things IMHO). I explored one area in around 58 minutes but was bored and tired of the loop already. I think the main thing is the exploration isn't that exciting. There are certain places you can't get to because of abilities/secret areas like most Metroidvanias, but they lead to the mundane (upgrade materials and gears I believe, which is money). There are too many of these fighting arenas that get old quickly with the arena trying to beat you with mass numbers. It doesn't help that your dodge isn't amazing and parrying was very hard for me. I get hit often if I stand still and still get hit often by projectiles (focus these enemies first). At the end of the area was a boss and I got a story item for the next big area. I was done and it really felt quite cookie cutter. It feels like most of the game development went to the very decent graphics and pretty aight music and voices. The gameplay itself is a chore and people complain about very tough boss fights later on It is playable and looks good, but feels like a waste of time. This looked a lot better than what I got in the end. I really don't recommend this one unless very cheap in a bundle. 6/10.

Right and Down is a pretty basic rogue lite where you play as a character with a class and can go right and down only in a dungeon facing monsters/traps/items/gold/potions and armor until you get to a door leading to the next floor. The goal I think is to make it to floor 50. Every five rooms I believe is a camp site where you can go right and down and get potions, armor and gold and you get to choose your next biome. The main thing about this game is if you go onto a monster it attacks you head on and your armor absorbs some damage until it's gone and then it hits your health. You can get artifacts which cost money which either have generic effects such as do a damage before battle to all enemies on board, or be biome specific like if you start the level blinded you get 2 max HP. This brings up the first criticism of the game which is possibly having a lot of artifacts/skills for a biome that only work in said biome. They are useless otherwise. I mentioned skills which do something when a certain input is put in like down and then right to give +2 to potions on board. Most are harder to pull off and can be quite powerful. This is super gimmicky, but decent enough. Like I mentioned before some skills are very situational, but strong in those situations such as killing a random creature if you're burning. It is important to fight monsters as XP is gained from killing them and every ten levels I believe at the campsite have skills to buy with XP.

Another major criticism is the loop becomes repetitive very quickly. You try to get artifacts to do strong things to survive better and hopefully be strong enough to win. Different characters are more adapt for certain biomes like the Witch Doctor liking being poisoned which happens in the jungle. There is a lot of RNG and sometimes you get horrible luck. I had one win in 2 hours and 30 minutes. I played for about an hour more afterwards, but never got close to winning. The graphics and sound are just average, with the game using the generic art for rogue lite skills that quite a few games have used. I believe the monster and character graphics are original though. Overall I feel this is a slightly below average game. There is too much RNG and the loop feels the same no matter what honestly. 5.5/10

Right and Down and Dice is the next game in this series and uses the same can only move right and down, but uses dice instead. You still have classes, but they do feel different enough to play. The graphics and sound are very similar to Right and Down, which isn't amazing. In this game your class usually uses 2 dice of a certain type and a third of something else. In the map if you see a monster it shows one of them and has skulls representing the number of monsters. In it you fight the monsters and beat them by placing dice on their cards. Lots of times this requires certain numbers, matching numbers, and certain color dice. Monsters mainly have an attack which is done at the end of your turn usually. They mostly all have a certain special skill that makes them stronger such as getting rid of 5s in the pool if you place a die on the monster. The game encourages you to chuck a lot of dice to get the monsters defeated. You have skills as well which use dice and does something with them. Some requires specific dice or numbers to work, such as a dark die being sacrificed for 2 random die. The key is to manipulate your rolls and throw the most dice to not get hurt. There is a lot of RNG involved here.

On the map is also merchants (sells artifacts which give passives, but more strongly can offer more dice if things happen), shrines with blessings (may have a very expensive permanent dice of the color of the shrine or temp dice which are strong of the color and have a few uses, or other blessings which are items that have a certain amount of uses). If a monster spot has more monsters than other spots it will give +1 coin for fighting it. Usually you get 1 coin per enemy defeated, so it's generally easy to guess how much money you'll have after an encounter. The bottom right corner of a map always has the exit, and every few you get a campsite where you can heal (most likely), get armor (also likely), or get gold (not often). This game doesn't have a similar criticism for artifacts only working on certain biomes, but a biome I believe will only have shrines/artifacts of its type. It's a lot more predictable at least. The loop is a lot less repetitive, but it is as well. Just remember in this game that great passives + lots of dice usually equals wins. I got my first win at 2 hours and 54 minutes. This one is the better game of the two, but still isn't amazing. It's a decent enough bundle game though. 6/10

Last edited:
It's a month away, but

394Qm3p.gif

E7ppToA.png

Another Steam Fest this one being Open World Survival Craft. As usual there are free things to get (avatar, frame, sticker).

Steam
I play a buttload of demos, but I give up on open world survival craft demos. I never know if the jenk in them is part of the charm or just bad gameplay. Plus, they're tedious and time consuming to learn.

Better to let the million monkeys of the market hammer away at them and then pick up the most popular at discount or when friends want to play them.

I gave up on the FPS fest too. I'm okay at those games but not great and it got old pretty quickly trying out demos. I did like the rogue fest though. I just prefer the Steam Fest for trying out lots of different genres of demos even if I do prefer some of them over others.

Nice, God of War Ragnarok Sept 19th. Now to wait for discounts. Hope the new Astro Bot comes eventually as well, although part of the charm of the original was amazing VR experience.

Nice, God of War Ragnarok Sept 19th. Now to wait for discounts. Hope the new Astro Bot comes eventually as well, although part of the charm of the original was amazing VR experience.
Hopefully steam keys for Ragnarok fall off of a truck the same way other Sony keys have lately. Managed to get Ghost of Tsushima ($22), Horizon Forbidden West ($20), Helldivers 2 ($19), and God of War ($10). This year has been good for previously exclusive PlayStation titles

Hopefully steam keys for Ragnarok fall off of a truck the same way other Sony keys have lately. Managed to get Ghost of Tsushima ($22), Horizon Forbidden West ($20), Helldivers 2 ($19), and God of War ($10). This year has been good for previously exclusive PlayStation titles
Those are some great deals. Gonna have to do some hunting.

Is this real?? Ragnarok requires a PSN account.

like what is the angle here? what are they trying to accomplish? Do you want sell games on PC or not? I don't get it.

Trying to boost PSN user-count #'s. Gotta make PSN look like it's doing killer numbers and appease their shareholders.

Wouldn't surprise me if they later plan to sell PSN subs to PC gamers just to play multiplayer portions on there too, like they do on consoles - like Microsoft tried to do years ago with G4WL.

like what is the angle here? what are they trying to accomplish? Do you want sell games on PC or not? I don't get it.

Not just Ragnarok. Basically every Sony game from now on will need it. Until Dawn is also gonna require it:

Odd that they backtrack on Helldivers 2, but still decide to make it required for singleplayer games lol

They (Sony) had to for HD2 more or less, since the game literally launched without PSN-required and was being played in 170+ countries PSN wasn't already supported in, before they even decided to finally want to flip the switch to PSN-required - and then everybody flipped-out rightfully so over it b/c they didn't want the change.

Adding requirements extra client-app after launch is just stupid & wrong; the problem was they changed the terms afterwards - even if that was the plan from the jump to support PSN (it was listed as required on the page before launch), it just didn't work out that way (they had issues at launch w/ PSN working, so it was disabled at launch). Plus, Arrowhead and their CEO was also pushing against it hard too.

At least now, Sony's consistent: they just flat-out requiring it on everything from the jump before & at launch. Still dumb of them to do for sure b/c it's still cutting out 170 other countries before launch, as it's literally going to help them lose $ and sales. I dunno - maybe Sony don't expect lots of sales in those 170 countries? [shrug] Or maybe Sony don't care about harvesting data & telemetry-ing users from those countries? Who knows. [shrug]

They really should just make it optional, for those that want Trophies. [shrug]

I'm still waiting for them to start their own PSN PC App, like Microsoft has with Xbox PC App. I'd rather just grab their games there, if they gonna have PSN as a requirement on Steam, Epic, etc. I don't want double-DRM/double-client app whammy b/c they want to require PSN everywhere on PC.

I can hope they'll later want to put their own games still DRM-FREE on GOG (like they did w/ Uncharted 4/TLL: Legacy of Thieves Remastered Collection, Days Gone, God of War 2018), etc. so I can try to avoid PSN PC app if possible - but, who knows now, w/ them wanting to stick PSN PC App on everything.

Last edited:

Herman Hulst hasn't even taken over yet and went on record the angle is to entice PC players over to PS5 for sequels to their franchises. PSN is the Trojan horse to break down the barrier. People forget Sony is an electronics company; not PlayStation. Easy to forget however when their entire company is held up by PS.

I doubt most PC gamers will go buy a PS5. They'll just wait for the game to hit PC in 6 months to 2-3 years; whenever Sony feels like "We need to make more $ and reignite this SKU, PC port it!"

I doubt most PC gamers will go buy a PS5. They'll just wait for the game to hit PC in 6 months to 2-3 years; whenever Sony feels like "We need to make more $ and reignite this SKU, PC port it!"
Well yeah, their plan is paper thin lol. I don't think anyone with a PC is suddenly going to need a PS5 after playing a port. We all agree we can wait.

MS is well aware consoles are just glorified PC's without productivity at this point. That's why they're slowly exiting the hardware business by down-scaling.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking where did you find those Tsushima and Helldivers prices? That's sick, I'm guessing you used a coupon somewhere?

If you don't mind me asking where did you find those Tsushima and Helldivers prices? That's sick, I'm guessing you used a coupon somewhere?
Helldivers was the only one I used a coupon on I think (and it was less than $2 off). They're from GameFlip, but you can't get those prices anymore for most of the games I listed. Occasionally some of the sellers list cheap games, and many of them tend to be Sony published. I'm not sure what their source is but it's below typical grey market prices.

Helldivers was one of the more commonly sold ones. A bunch of sellers had it for $24ish and some occasionally still have it for around that price but they sell out fast.

Keep in mind you're always taking a risk with GameFlip. I've had dupe keys before but haven't had any issues getting refunds so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240531-171955.png
    Screenshot_20240531-171955.png
    665.6 KB · Views: 12
Helldivers was the only one I used a coupon on I think (and it was less than $2 off). They're from GameFlip, but you can't get those prices anymore for most of the games I listed. Occasionally some of the sellers list cheap games, and many of them tend to be Sony published. I'm not sure what their source is but it's below typical grey market prices.

Helldivers was one of the more commonly sold ones. A bunch of sellers had it for $24ish and some occasionally still have it for around that price but they sell out fast.

Keep in mind you're always taking a risk with GameFlip. I've had dupe keys before but haven't had any issues getting refunds so far.
Cdkeys has also had stuff from Sony cheap. I got both horizon and dad of war from them for like 2$ each.

bread's done
Back