Price drops on select X360 DLC

wolfhunt

CAGiversary!
Until the end of October the following price drops on DLC are in effect. Taken from Majornelson.com

xblmdiscountyv6.png

Title Content Original Price Promo Price
Mass Effect Bring Down The Sky 400 300
Lost Odyssey Triple Bonus Pack 200 120
Forza Motorsport 2 Motegi Track Pack 400 240
Forza Motorsport 2 September Car Pack 400 240
Forza Motorsport 2 December Car Pack 400 240
Forza Motorsport 2 FINAL March Car Pack 400 240
Oblivion The Elder Scrolls IV Shivering Isles 2400 1600
Guitar Hero 3 Def Leppard Pack 500 360
Guitar Hero 3 Foo Fighters Pack 500 360
Guitar Hero 3 Classic Rock Pack 500 360
Beautiful Katamari Accessory Set A 200 120
Beautiful Katamari Accessory Set B 200 120
Beautiful Katamari Accessory Set C 200 120
Beautiful Katamari Accessory Set D 200 120
Beautiful Katamari Special Accessory 250 120
Beautiful Katamari Just-size Stage 300 210
Beautiful Katamari Big-10 Stage 200 140
Beautiful Katamari Big-11 Stage 200 140

Sorry for the crappy format, my editing didn't work. The forum took out my spacing for some reason. If anyone can put this in a better format, go for it. It's Title, Content, Origianal Price, Sale Price.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's cool to finally see some price cuts on some older DLC; even if it is only temporary. I may finally pick up the Mass Effect and Oblivion DLC now.

Thanks for the heads up wolfhunt.

The Mass Effect one does... which I might go buy now. Also, I think you have to download all of that Katamari stuff to get more of the achievements.

Ehh, nothing spectacular but a small discount is better than no discount. The Lost Odyssey content seemed pretty shady from the beginning since they sounded like items that had been removed from the game solely to sell them on the marketplace, but at least now they're fairly cheap to get a hold of. Almost considering getting that now for anticipation of when I do buy the game.

Would've been nice if they could've bundled multiple pieces of content into one pack for an even larger discount. Throw all the Forza 2 content into one big pack for 600 points, or something like that.

Thanks for the post because its good to see discounted stuff. I personally haven't played Oblivion or Forza in over a year, and Mass Effect for 9 months. For me the discount is too late. I have 5 games on preorder that come out in the next 3 months, so spending money on old games is not a big priority right now.

you dont even need to buy the oblivion content, just go rent the goty edition and load the content onto your hdd, you dont need the disc again

[quote name='sixspeednissan']Thanks for the post because its good to see discounted stuff. I personally haven't played Oblivion or Forza in over a year, and Mass Effect for 9 months. For me the discount is too late. I have 5 games on preorder that come out in the next 3 months, so spending money on old games is not a big priority right now.[/QUOTE]

Good post. I feel the same about it. Too little, too late. The marketing people behind Xbox live need to pull their heads out and realize that the online marketplace ISN'T that much different from the brick 'n mortar stores. This is stale and like you, I've moved on.

Maybe if it was a permanent price reduction, I would come back to them eventually, but a 'sale' on old content just doesn't fly.

[quote name='danh920']does the lost odyssey or mass effect downloads add any achievements?[/quote]

The Lost Odyssey one doesn't. There's one called "Dungeon Pack" that adds 100 gamerscore.

I think I may grab one or two things from here. Just in hopes that they'll see a considerable sales bump with the lower prices and consider dropping more things, even if they are "temporary".

Maybe I'm wrong, but with the Forza 2 stuff, you might be better just buying the $20 PH version that comes with ALL the DLC if you haven't bought any yet. If the Mass Effect DLC was 200 points, I might consider it. I know that seems like such a small thing to complain about, but I have 1000 pts now, so that'd leave enough for an arcade game; just a logistics issue for me more or less.

you just made my day, I've been wanting to get bringing down the sky and currently have exactly 300 ms points in my account. gonna get that tonight when i get home from work

I'm glad some content is finally seeing a few decent price cuts, but I don't understand why the discounts are only temporary.

I think companies are trying to throw DLC pricing in the face of all economic reality.

"If we leave it up at this bloated price long enough, then people will eventually break down and buy it!"

is there anyway to call microsoft and tell them to refund some points? because i just bought the mass effect DLC like two three days ago

[quote name='shadylane']is there anyway to call microsoft and tell them to refund some points? because i just bought the mass effect DLC like two three days ago[/QUOTE]

Usually, they will tell you to go fuck yourself, but you might get lucky.

[quote name='opportunity777']I'm glad some content is finally seeing a few decent price cuts, I don't understand why the discounts are only temporary.

I think companies are trying to throw DLC pricing in the face of all economic reality.

"If we leave it up at this bloated price long enough, then people will eventually break down and buy it!"[/QUOTE]

Yeah, DLC is just a way to pad the bottom line, without having to worry about any of those little details like actually having people OWN anything.

Prices haven't gone down because of DLC, and you don't even really "own" it, if the DRM decides you're evil or goes away, you just have a lovely pile of unusable bits.

For that reason, this stuff is all still too high.

The DLC for many of these games when added up still cost more than the actual games at this point. Just because M$ is charging you less doesn't make it a good deal IMO.

OP, thanks for the post though. This might be valuable information to some.

Huh, might pick up the GH3 Def Leppard pack while it's discounted. I already have the rest of the DLC for those games I still own (ME, Oblivion, and GH3).

[quote name='danh920']does the lost odyssey or mass effect downloads add any achievements?[/quote]

Yes. 50G that I know for Mass Effect. So if you want 100% you have to get it. What I found stupid is that I have Tomb Raider Anniversary (Copy) plus the legend one, but no achievements for me. Eh

[quote name='uglyteradon']... I think you have to download all of that Katamari stuff to get more of the achievements.[/QUOTE]

WHAT?!? That's the worst thing I've ever heard!

I'm trying to decipher the Beautiful Katamari dlc listing from majornelson.com I've basically come to the point that I am looking for the prices that match, as all I'm interested in are additional levels. I cannot find the listings "Big-10 stage" or the "Big-11 stage". I've looked through the marketplace at the 40 items listed for Beautiful Katamari and I do not see any of the items listed for 140 pts. I've found the "just-size" listing, however it doesn't seem to be so much a stage as it is a cheat to get the perfect size katamari - the woman will have to learn to live without that one. If someone figures out what the Big-10/11 stages are please let me know.

Edit - perhaps it is the Mechanical and Dangerous Katamaris that are on "sale" - they show a price of 120 pts; perhaps major nelson's list is wrong listing the stages as 140 pts. I have no idea how much these stages cost prior to today, so who knows.

Edit 2 - found the following at xbox360achievements.org

Note: The seven levels you need to download to be able to finish this final achievement will cost 1500 points. They are:
  • Mechanical Katamari (200)
  • Dangerous Katamari (200)
  • Perfectly Sized Katamari (300)
  • Milky Way Constellations (200)
  • The Weaver Girl (200)
  • Shopping Spree (200)
  • High-Calorie Katamari (200)
I am shocked at how long it took to hunt this information down - still a rip-off but I'll do it to make the woman happy (thanks sons of anarchy - made paying for this much more bearable).

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I think I may grab one or two things from here. Just in hopes that they'll see a considerable sales bump with the lower prices and consider dropping more things, even if they are "temporary".[/QUOTE]

Same here. Just like how they decided to give a few XBLA games a temporary price drop and ended up coming out with the Arcade Hits lineup.

Before I borrowed my cousin's copy of Mass Effect and beat it twice, but I had to give it back so I didn't buy the DLC. However, I just got the ME LE from Goozex and have been debating getting the DLC for awhile so it looks like I'll pick it up now!

That Mass Effect download is pretty sweet for only 300 pts. There are 3 missions, which all count towards your allies achievements, plus you get an achievement for beating the world. I paid 400 or it, and thought it was worth every point

I'll definitely go ahead and snag the Foo Fighters and Classic packs for GH3. I've wanted them for a while, but I hate the GH3 all-or-nothing thing, and I really only wanted the packs for 1 song on each. 500 was a bit much, but 360 I can handle. Yay.

Plus, it'll give me an excuse to actually *play* GH3 again.

Is Shivering Isles available on DVD by itself? I heard it was but then it got recalled or something? (Not talking about the GOTY Edition).

[quote name='J7.']Is Shivering Isles available on DVD by itself? I heard it was but then it got recalled or something? (Not talking about the GOTY Edition).[/quote]

Yes, it is. I've seen 2 copies at Circuit City and some at KMart as well. I don't recall hearing that the disc was recalled, I wonder why it would have been?

[quote name='autche']

Note: The seven levels you need to download to be able to finish this final achievement will cost 1500 points. They are:
  • Mechanical Katamari (200)
  • Dangerous Katamari (200)
  • Perfectly Sized Katamari (300)
  • Milky Way Constellations (200)
  • The Weaver Girl (200)
  • Shopping Spree (200)
  • High-Calorie Katamari (200)
[/quote]

That's more than I paid for the game!

[quote name='007']I'll definitely go ahead and snag the Foo Fighters and Classic packs for GH3. I've wanted them for a while, but I hate the GH3 all-or-nothing thing, and I really only wanted the packs for 1 song on each. 500 was a bit much, but 360 I can handle. Yay.

Plus, it'll give me an excuse to actually *play* GH3 again.[/QUOTE]

I bought the Classic Rock pack at full price and it was worth every penny. 360 is an excellent price for it! Although I refuse to buy anymore GH3 packs now that I have RB.

^ Also glad I waited. Was going to buy it the other day.

[quote name='shieryda']What's in the Classic Rock pack for GH3? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Foreigner - "Juke Box Hero"
Journey - "Any Way You Want It"
Boston - "Peace of Mind"

Such an awesome pack!

[quote name='autche']Yes, it is. I've seen 2 copies at Circuit City and some at KMart as well. I don't recall hearing that the disc was recalled, I wonder why it would have been?[/quote]
If I can get it on disc theres no way I'm paying for it as DLC. Wikipedia says what happened with the disc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shivering_isles
An expansion disk version was announced on September 6, 2007, with a previously disallowed hard drive requirement.[12] Intended to provide both the Shivering Isles and Knights Of The Nine content to customers unable to download them from Xbox Live, the disc contained a patch to allow Oblivion to recognise and use the expansions. Ubisoft discontinued the disc after customer feedback revealed the patch included was not the required 1.2.1 rendering both expansions useless without Live access.

[quote name='autche']Yes, it is. I've seen 2 copies at Circuit City and some at KMart as well. I don't recall hearing that the disc was recalled, I wonder why it would have been?[/quote]

I just rented the GOTY edition that comes with the downloadable content, installed it on the drive and returned the discs. Achievements = complete.

Damn it. Figures itd be dlc I already bought. I already have all the Oblivion, GH3, Lost Odyssey, and Mass Effect dlc. Dont own the other games.

Ah well, good savings for those that dont have it yet.

[quote name='52club']The DLC for many of these games when added up still cost more than the actual games at this point. Just because M$ is charging you less doesn't make it a good deal IMO.

OP, thanks for the post though. This might be valuable information to some.[/quote]

Just remember you can also factor in chances to get cheaper than retail points making these better deals than it seems at face value. For example, I've got points in my account now from both the 1600 points for $15 from Target and the freebies from Sons of Anarchy. So any decrease is welcome.

I'm thinking the same thing and go after the Forza 2 PE that has everything on it for 19.99. Maybe I can find one used or something.

The mass effect DLC was great. It is essentially a side mission that is the same quality as the main storyline.

The lost odessey DLC is not really worth it for your average player. A dungeon with 25 of the same floor and a ridiculous boss at the end. If you could save at floor 25 and play the boss over and over, it would be a different story. But to play through 25 floors and get stomped is just dumb.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Whats with all this Sons of Anarchy talk?
I feel as though I missed something good.

Still deciding on the BK stuff...[/quote]

The 'Sons of Anarchy' talk is regarding a recent XBL points giveaway sponsored by the show named, appropriately, 'Sons of Anarchy.' I think the promo lasted roughly 5 hours before all of the points were accounted for.

bread's done
Back