Is it worth buying blu-ray movies w/o 1080p TV?

laserazer

CAGiversary!
I recently purchased a PS3 without the copy of Talladega Nights. I'm playing my PS3 on a 50in panasonic HDTV that isn't 1080p capable. I was wondering if blu-ray movies are worth getting if you don't own a 1080p TV? How is the picture quality?

I would say if there is a movie you'd like on Blu Ray, it's worth it. My 720p/1080i Samsung LCD plays Talladega Nights well. It's smooth, crisp, and very distinct. Wonderful picture quality, even without the higher res. Now my set is 32", but I think yours would look quite well too... and of course if you ever got a 1080p TV, you're that much ahead of the game with your purchases. :)

If 720p games look great on your PS3 and TV, I don't see why the Blu-Ray movies wouldn't be stellar too. Of course someone with a larger TV might want to correct me if I'm wrong...

Everyone will upgread their tv sometime in the future, and although 1080p is not going to be THE standard forever, it will still be around for a while, I cant think of any channels that broadcast yet in 1080p, my DTV HD will only be in 1080i

[quote name='zman73']Everyone will upgread their tv sometime in the future, and although 1080p is not going to be THE standard forever, it will still be around for a while, I cant think of any channels that broadcast yet in 1080p, my DTV HD will only be in 1080i[/QUOTE]

And there hopefully never will be. That's not part of the HDTV standard. If they add it, there's nothing stopping them from adding something else even higher later on.

At any rate HDTV uses MPEG2, and they tend to really skimp out on bit rate even for 720p and 480p for that matter.

[quote name='Wolfpup']And there hopefully never will be. That's not part of the HDTV standard. If they add it, there's nothing stopping them from adding something else even higher later on.

At any rate HDTV uses MPEG2, and they tend to really skimp out on bit rate even for 720p and 480p for that matter.[/quote]Yeah, 1080p just sucks up too much bandwidth for the time being. We're going to be sitting at 720p HDTV broadcast for quite a while I imagine.

[quote name='darkrage']actually, I was reading an article on engadgethd.com today argueing that 1080p isnt even all that noticable a difference over 1080i.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/11/13/still-no-discernable-difference-between-1080i-and-1080p/[/quote]

You need a TV that's at least 50" before you really see a difference between 1080i and 1080p. Maybe the mid 40s.

HD broadcasts are currently 1080i.

I'd get the BD movie over the same movie in DVD format.
Until you get a TV that displays higher resolutions (1080i/1080p) though, you won't get the full benefit.

But we'll all have HDTVs soon.

[quote name='dallow']You need a TV that's at least 50" before you really see a difference between 1080i and 1080p. Maybe the mid 40s.

HD broadcasts are currently 1080i.

I'd get the BD movie over the same movie in DVD format.
Until you get a TV that displays higher resolutions (1080i/1080p) though, you won't get the full benefit.

But we'll all have HDTVs soon.[/quote]

Yeh, hopefully the stores are explaining that to customers. 1080p might be "the best" but only if you've got a large TV.

I recently bought Black Hawk Down (great movie and supposedly one of the better looking BR movies). Loved it, and was definitely worth the price. I probably won't be buying too many movies, but I still think it was worth it.

Check your local blockbuster. I know some around me carry them.

It would have to be a really good movie and not a port.

The answer is no to Blu-ray and no the Hd-DVD.

Also Blu-ray files is like 20gigs. I mean why god does it have to be so big. That is nuts when you think about it.

I just picked up blackhawk down today and holy fuck, it's much more immersive @ 1080p on bluray and with the uncompressed 5.1 PCM track. Too bad I couldn't use the 5.1 PCM track though since I connect via optical.

1080p TV isn't necessary but it does help. Either way it's a substantial bump over DVD Quality.

My TV isn't 1080p compatible, but Blu-ray is still a significant improvement over DVD. However, it does depend on the movie to some degree. Some are better than others in terms of picture quality.

[quote name='TheOneGod']It would have to be a really good movie and not a port.

Also Blu-ray files is like 20gigs. I mean why god does it have to be so big. That is nuts when you think about it.[/quote]

You're confused easily by technology aren't you?

[quote name='dallow']
HD broadcasts are currently 1080i.[/quote]

Both 720p and 1080i.

Another reason they won't ever do 1080p is because that would leave TONS of TV owners unable to receive the broadcast, and the networks aren't going to do that.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Both 720p and 1080i.

Another reason they won't ever do 1080p is because that would leave TONS of TV owners unable to receive the broadcast, and the networks aren't going to do that.[/quote]
That's right, I notice some of my digital channels showing up as 720p.
Are people with 480/1080 only out of luck?

Don't the TV's just scale down the picture?

They'll do 1080p (or something even higher) in the future, just probably not anytime soon.

To everyone, just get the best you can afford.

[quote name='dallow']That's right, I notice some of my digital channels showing up as 720p.
Are people with 480/1080 only out of luck?

Don't the TV's just scale down the picture?

They'll do 1080p (or something even higher) in the future, just probably not anytime soon.

To everyone, just get the best you can afford.[/QUOTE]

HDTVs scale the "other" resolution to whatever their native resolution is.

They can't do 1080p for TV though as it's not part of the standard, and they'd cut out...well to date I suppose there isn't single person on Earth with a TV that can receive it.

I would say buy it because you will probably get a 1080p tv eventually and so when that day comes you already have the highest standards.

[quote name='TheOneGod']It would have to be a really good movie and not a port.

Also Blu-ray files is like 20gigs. I mean why god does it have to be so big. That is nuts when you think about it.[/quote]

:rofl::rofl::rofl:Hey here is a test that you can see why its so big, Take a picture at 7megapixels and that one picture will bear near 25mb, every movie is based on frames. Now with compression you get smaller file size but if you want better quality the compression won't keep it at 9gb forever, plus sound is a huge file

[quote name='Wolfpup']Both 720p and 1080i.

Another reason they won't ever do 1080p is because that would leave TONS of TV owners unable to receive the broadcast, and the networks aren't going to do that.[/QUOTE]

Just wait. I bet a few Cable channels will do it if not networks through Cable, Satellite and possibly IPTV. In exchange the networks will get some money for the extra viewers the services receive.
As to the movies it depends. If it's on both I'd suggest HD-DVD since it's more likely to look better or you''ll have no worries in picture quality since the launch of HD-DVD almost all discs with the exception of "Chronos" have used MPEG4 video compression. Otherwise be selective with the discs, checking reviews on High Def Digest.

[quote name='laserazer']I recently purchased a PS3 without the copy of Talladega Nights. I'm playing my PS3 on a 50in panasonic HDTV that isn't 1080p capable. I was wondering if blu-ray movies are worth getting if you don't own a 1080p TV? How is the picture quality?[/quote]

I guess my answer would be, "maybe". Right now, the price of blu-ray discs is a good $10-20 more than a standard DVD, and not all movies are worth buying for content , let alone HD-quality. I'd look at the reviews at places like DVDtalk and also consider renting titles before actually buying them outright.

[quote name='Sarang01']Just wait. I bet a few Cable channels will do it if not networks through Cable, Satellite and possibly IPTV. In exchange the networks will get some money for the extra viewers the services receive.[/quote]

You'd have to use their equipment to receive it though, you wouldn't be able to use your TV (which means another box rental of some sort).

Okay, I need a little help here. I have my HDMI res output to 720p, I've played resistance at 720p, but when I go to play Kung Fu Hustle BD it gets downscaled to 480p with black bars on the side (4:3) o_O

How do I get it to playback at 720p?

It's an Aquos Sharp 32' Widescreen I believe. 720p is it's native and I'm curious as to why it does this :bomb:

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Okay, I need a little help here. I have my HDMI res output to 720p, I've played resistance at 720p, but when I go to play Kung Fu Hustle BD it gets downscaled to 480p with black bars on the side (4:3) o_O

It's an Aquos Sharp 32' Widescreen I believe. 720p is it's native and I'm curious as to why it does this :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Are all your settings correct in the PS3 menus? Not sure what else off hand

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Okay, I need a little help here. I have my HDMI res output to 720p, I've played resistance at 720p, but when I go to play Kung Fu Hustle BD it gets downscaled to 480p with black bars on the side (4:3) o_O

It's an Aquos Sharp 32' Widescreen I believe. 720p is it's native and I'm curious as to why it does this :bomb:[/quote]

BD movies will NOT play at 720p. Only 1080i/p.
Change your settings to include 1080.

[quote name='dallow']BD movies will NOT play at 720p. Only 1080i/p.
Change your settings to include 1080.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah...that is what many bitched about at the beginning. I guess I never paid attention, since I have both 1080i/720p on my 26" LCD the Ps3 is hooked up too. (Since my 55" is 1080i only, I would lose out on 720p gaming)

best buy has b1g1 free on select blu ray titles... I got Underworld Evolution, and House of flying Daggers... both looked very well at 1080i (highest res of my tv) there was some fuzziness.. but I think that's just the picture. I still want to take a look at the same movies at 1080p. b1g1 free was a good deal though... overall the quality is definitely better than dvd

[quote name='Thomas96']best buy has b1g1 free on select blu ray titles... I got Underworld Evolution, and House of flying Daggers... both looked very well at 1080i (highest res of my tv) there was some fuzziness.. but I think that's just the picture. I still want to take a look at the same movies at 1080p. b1g1 free was a good deal though... overall the quality is definitely better than dvd[/QUOTE]

And both of those movies have a horrible transfer. Go rent a few newer titles like Black Hawk Down or Kingdom of Heaven and it will really impress you.

Well the TV does do 1080i, but the picture starts shaking at the menu, looks unstable or somethin =/

I picked up Kung Fu Hustle and Black Hawk Down for the b1g1 deal =D

[quote name='rodeojones903']And both of those movies have a horrible transfer. Go rent a few newer titles like Black Hawk Down or Kingdom of Heaven and it will really impress you.[/QUOTE]

okay.... I think I'm going to take you up on that offer... gonna go and rent Kingdom of Heaven.

[quote name='doubledown']Oh yeah...that is what many bitched about at the beginning. I guess I never paid attention, since I have both 1080i/720p on my 26" LCD the Ps3 is hooked up too. (Since my 55" is 1080i only, I would lose out on 720p gaming)[/quote]

If you had a JPN PS3 with the original firmware, it plays BD movies at 720p if need be.
Don't know why it was gone from future firmware.... probably because if you have both resolutions, why pick the lower one?

Why did you have your 1080 setting off? If a game is native 720, it'll still play at 720.

[quote name='dallow']If you had a JPN PS3 with the original firmware, it plays BD movies at 720p if need be.
Don't know why it was gone from future firmware.... probably because if you have both resolutions, why pick the lower one?

Why did you have your 1080 setting off? If a game is native 720, it'll still play at 720.[/quote]

The TV is only capable of 1080i but it concerned me that the picture would start shaking on that res, so I kept it at 720p. They should just make 720p an option for people who dont have 1080 capabilities. Besides, it would've been nice if they downscaled it to 720p instead of 480p then. =/

[quote name='Inf^Shini']The TV is only capable of 1080i but it concerned me that the picture would start shaking on that res, so I kept it at 720p. They should just make 720p an option for people who dont have 1080 capabilities. Besides, it would've been nice if they downscaled it to 720p instead of 480p then. =/[/quote]

I was asking doubledown, but that's ok.

I think the tiny jitters might be since it's 1080 interlaced.
You won't have a problem with games and movies, except maybe static menus. But is the jittery-ness that big a problem?

[quote name='Thomas96']best buy has b1g1 free on select blu ray titles... I got Underworld Evolution, and House of flying Daggers... both looked very well at 1080i (highest res of my tv) there was some fuzziness.. but I think that's just the picture. I still want to take a look at the same movies at 1080p. b1g1 free was a good deal though... overall the quality is definitely better than dvd[/QUOTE]
Is best buy still doing that?

[quote name='dallow']I was asking doubledown, but that's ok.

I think the tiny jitters might be since it's 1080 interlaced.
You won't have a problem with games and movies, except maybe static menus. But is the jittery-ness that big a problem?[/quote]
No, I was just concerned about it, a little paranoid that it might be affecting the TV in some way. I played the movie on 1080i and it was fine.

Best Buy is still doing the deal. That deal came on the week of 1/14, so you still have a couple days to grab em. If you can't find them, you can always put whichever movies you wanted on raincheck. I had to do that with Black hawk Down.

[quote name='icruise']Is best buy still doing that?[/quote]
Last day is Saturday, it's only select titles though. I'll add which ones. check back.

Best Buy Blu-ray 1-for-1 Offer for Jan 14 onwards
From this post.

Buy 1, Get 1 Free This Week - Offer Good only on these 7 Titles:

$24.99 Each:
House of Flying Daggers
Kung Fu Hustle
Black Hawk Down

$29.99 Each:
Monster House
Click
Talladega Nights: Ballad Of Ricky Bobby
Underworld: Evolution

[quote name='dallow']If you had a JPN PS3 with the original firmware, it plays BD movies at 720p if need be.
Don't know why it was gone from future firmware.... probably because if you have both resolutions, why pick the lower one?[/QUOTE]

They had that option and REMOVED it?!? That's bizarre. All HDTVs handle 1080i it of course, but depending on your scaler, having the PS3 output at 720p might look better (the catch being that apparently Blu Ray films are all 1080p native).

Why did you have your 1080 setting off? If a game is native 720, it'll still play at 720.[/QUOTE]

I don't have my 1080i setting off.

I have my PS3 on a 26" LCD that does both 720p and 1080i, so I just choose Auto to let it select.

HOWEVER, my 55" Mits has my 360 hooked up to it. It's an older HDTV with 1080i only. It's fine, since I like my consoles in different rooms incase the wife wants a TV when I want to game.

If I DID hook the PS3 up to my 55", then Resistance would be in 480p, since its native resolution is 720p and there is no scaler (from what I've read at least)

[quote name='doubledown']I don't have my 1080i setting off.

I have my PS3 on a 26" LCD that does both 720p and 1080i, so I just choose Auto to let it select.

HOWEVER, my 55" Mits has my 360 hooked up to it. It's an older HDTV with 1080i only. It's fine, since I like my consoles in different rooms incase the wife wants a TV when I want to game.

If I DID hook the PS3 up to my 55", then Resistance would be in 480p, since its native resolution is 720p and there is no scaler (from what I've read at least)[/quote]

I'm sorry, I was mistaken, my question wasn't for you, I got confused by the various quote blocks.
Don't worry, I know all about the res settings for PS3. I try to help people sort these things out.

Hmm, Click, Talladega Nights and Underworld: Evolution qualify for the $10 rebate that comes with the PS3, too (unfortunately they're all on the same rebate slip so you can only get one rebate). Still, that brings them down to $10 apiece.

[quote name='rodeojones903']And both of those movies have a horrible transfer. Go rent a few newer titles like Black Hawk Down or Kingdom of Heaven and it will really impress you.[/QUOTE]

Rented Kingdom of Heaven... watching at 1080i... on a Westinghouse 32 inch tv.. and omg... the picture is absoultely beautiful.... you definitely will be okay without 1080p tv... but like you said, it depends on the transfer and if it's successful...

Once you go HD... you never go back!

bread's done
Back