0.00 items at target

chernozem

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
earlier, i had an item scan 0.00 and the lady asked me for a price, i kind of acted stupid and said i dunno, it was on the clearance rack, most of the games were 9.98, which was nearly 20$ under the red sticker price I peeled off.

how do you normally handle these?

Tell them $0.01 :p

Or, say there were on clearance, let me go check...a min later, say there like $4.98 or something. Worse they can do is tell you its $9.98. Of course, that's what I would do.

Say......'wow, that item is free? Awesome'. Then ask for a receipt and walk out with your free item?

Seriously though, I've never had any items ring up .00 for me(aside from the Prima guide sale guides @ Best Buy), but what I mentioned above, is what I'd do.

The register won't let them process a $0.00 item. The proper process is to have someone use an LRT scanner to look up the last selling price. Sometimes if you sound like you know what you are talking about you can tell them the price you want it for.

For example I knew PS1 stuff was 75% off and a memory card I bought scanned at $0.00 and he asked me what price I was willing to pay. I told him it should be 75% off so $3.74 and he entered it in and I got it for that price.

[quote name='aen']earlier, i had an item scan 0.00 and the lady asked me for a price, i kind of acted stupid and said i dunno, it was on the clearance rack, most of the games were 9.98, which was nearly 20$ under the red sticker price I peeled off.

how do you normally handle these?[/QUOTE]

I probably would have said $5 (I assume you're talking about the Command and Conquer you mentioned in the Target thread). $5 sounds plausible at least, if you say $2 for an Xbox 360 game it does sound a bit ridiculous. Anyway you did pretty well getting it for $10.

You can either ask them to use the handheld scanner to check the last price, or tell them what you think is a reasonable price.

[quote name='aen']earlier, i had an item scan 0.00 and the lady asked me for a price, i kind of acted stupid and said i dunno, it was on the clearance rack, most of the games were 9.98, which was nearly 20$ under the red sticker price I peeled off.

how do you normally handle these?[/QUOTE]

Wait... you peeled off the price tag? And then pretended to not know the price?

0.00 items at a Target store are items that are supposed to be salvaged out and not sold. Not everything is caught by the price change team.

I do want to know what your original plan was for peeling off the label though. WTF?

[quote name='valor19']Wait... you peeled off the price tag? And then pretended to not know the price?[/quote]

I was just about to comment on this....curious why the price tag got peeled off in store.....

There can be a good reason for peeling off the sticker. If the item is only stickered at 30% off, the cashier could be lazy and just enter in that price at the register rather than getting the last selling price.

Once I had an item that was 75% off and out of the system. One side of the box had a 30% off price sticker, the other side had the 75% off price sticker. He scanned it, it came up item not found and he entered in the 30% off price, I had to stop him and tell him to look on the other side to see the 75% off price (both DCPI's were the same so it wasn't mismarked or anything).

Had it only had a 30% off sticker on the box, he would have entered that price so peeling it off would have forced them to look up the last selling price.

[quote name='Unickuta']I think he's the employee here...[/quote]
no im not an employee

the sticker was labeled 29.98 for the game, but when i scanned it, it showed as 0.00. I took the sticker off to avoid the cashier from putting the red sticker price in when she rung it up since other CAGs reported that the game was marked lower than that.

I don't know what Targets you guys shop at, but there's no chance a cashier will bust out a PDA and check to see an item's last price (or even know how to work one, hell, I don't think half of the LODs knew how to look up prices at the Target I worked in). Unless you check out in electronics and the store is dead, it's usually always whatever the guest says (unless it's huge/expensive).

[quote name='aen']the sticker was labeled 29.98 for the game, but when i scanned it, it showed as 0.00. I took the sticker off to avoid the cashier from putting the red sticker price in when she rung it up since other CAGs reported that the game was marked lower than that.[/quote]

My only minor quibble [and it's just for me, it may not strike you at all] is that you took off the sticker. My local Targets rarely have any items at the "average" price most titles go for in the Target Clearance thread, with the average price on most clearanced titles being around two to three weeks behind what other people are finding.

I mean, it's great that your title rang up as $0.00 in-store, but what most clearance titles are going for in Target stores around the country may not hold true for your own. My local one finally put DOA:XBV2 on Clearance just this week, at least a few months after other Targets had already done so.

So I'm not thrilled with the sticker-peeling, but it was supposed to be sent out anyway. Two wrongs don't make a right but at least you paid $10 for it. Good find, regardless.

Back in like 2001 when I worked at Target as a cashier, they trained us that if a customer argues that a price is wrong, if it's under $20 we should just change it to whatever they say.
I don't know if that's still the policy.

By the way that was super secret and now I'll probably be hunted down and tortured.

[quote name='Kapwanil']My only minor quibble [and it's just for me, it may not strike you at all] is that you took off the sticker. My local Targets rarely have any items at the "average" price most titles go for in the Target Clearance thread, with the average price on most clearanced titles being around two to three weeks behind what other people are finding.

I mean, it's great that your title rang up as $0.00 in-store, but what most clearance titles are going for in Target stores around the country may not hold true for your own. My local one finally put DOA:XBV2 on Clearance just this week, at least a few months after other Targets had already done so.

So I'm not thrilled with the sticker-peeling, but it was supposed to be sent out anyway. Two wrongs don't make a right but at least you paid $10 for it. Good find, regardless.[/quote]

Yeah, sticker peeling/swapping is actually a crime, not a far cry from actually stealing the item. My brother got busted by security years ago for doing this.

kind of wish I knew alot of this earlier, others have mentioned about the faulty stickers that do not reflect the scan price. I feel bad now actually :( when the cashier asked, I felt obliged to mention the price that others have been posting. I had no intentions on "ripping off" the store.

I'd deck the cashier and run.

Maybe pause at the door to turn and make a witty one-liner before escaping into the shadows.

I agree with the CheapestGamer .... go up there, say "Oh wow that games free? Sweet I'll deffinitly take that!" When they tell you free isn't an option just simply say, "Well I'll pay a penny I don't mind"

Walk out with your $0.01 item.

[quote name='aen']no im not an employee

the sticker was labeled 29.98 for the game, but when i scanned it, it showed as 0.00. I took the sticker off to avoid the cashier from putting the red sticker price in when she rung it up since other CAGs reported that the game was marked lower than that.[/QUOTE]

so the game was 29.98, not 0.00. target clearance prices are very YMMV.

They will use the portable scanners here to check the last item price if it rings up 0.00 and there is no price.

Sometimes if they put a certain thing into the register (I don't know what that is), it will pull up the item's last price or the closest UPC to it. I would imagine this would only happen if you got a really smart cashier. If the item looks vaguely correct to the cashier then they will enter that price, which means you could get something for very very cheap. Also check new products that you have not seen in the store before, sometimes they will have 0.00 prices.

I see VERY few price checks and overrides being done at both target and walmart, their systems are very good, and most cashiers will give you the right price without blinking if the difference is small, no waiting for 10 min for a manager's approval or for a price check like at kmart.

They will use the portable scanners here to check the last item price if it rings up 0.00 and there is no price.

Sometimes if they put a certain thing into the register (I don't know what that is), it will pull up the item's last price or the closest UPC to it. I would imagine this would only happen if you got a really smart cashier. If the item looks vaguely correct to the cashier then they will enter that price, which means you could get something for very very cheap. Also check new products that you have not seen in the store before, sometimes they will have 0.00 prices.

I see VERY few price checks and overrides being done at both target and walmart, their systems are very good, and most cashiers will give you the right price without blinking if the difference is small, no waiting for 10 min for a manager's approval or for a price check like at kmart.

[quote name='aen']kind of wish I knew alot of this earlier, others have mentioned about the faulty stickers that do not reflect the scan price. I feel bad now actually :( when the cashier asked, I felt obliged to mention the price that others have been posting. I had no intentions on "ripping off" the store.[/quote]

You didn't know better, and we've all been in those sort of "oh god, they have CLEARANCE STUFF?!" positions before. Just be a bit careful in the future. If your store has them, see what most of the clearance titles ring up as on the in-store scanners. My local one never gets down to 75% unless it starts there (ie: C&C3 a few weeks ago, DOA:XBV2 this week) but there are times where they are so busy they don't have time to change the price labels on the clearance items until a few days later. That's when you can probably luck out like you did.

Nice score regardless. Just don't fool with the price stickers in the future and you should be good. Most cashiers will probably go with anything that sounds like a reasonable price on a $0.00 item anyway, at least during the holiday season when it seems like more seasonal personel may be on the registers.

[quote name='bone_matrix']0.00 items at a Target store are items that are supposed to be salvaged out and not sold. Not everything is caught by the price change team.
[/QUOTE]

This is true. They aren't supposed to sell it to you for anything, but they might if you offer a price.

[quote name='techstar25']Back in like 2001 when I worked at Target as a cashier, they trained us that if a customer argues that a price is wrong, if it's under $20 we should just change it to whatever they say.
I don't know if that's still the policy.

By the way that was super secret and now I'll probably be hunted down and tortured.[/quote]
I remember being told that I would be fired if I let on to a customer that this policy existed.

It's probably still gospel at Target. I had some clearance (with no price tags) that wasn't ringing up properly a couple weeks ago. I wouldn't say I really "argued" as much as requested to get the advertised price. He punched in the price without flagging down a manager.

bread's done
Back