1 Month of Xbox Live Gold $1 via XBL Dashboard

nateeasy29

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
On the 360 dashboard there is an ad to add one month of Gold to your account for $1.00 plus tax. It is unclear how many months you can buy. I suspect just one.

You may have to call to cancel auto renewal which will charge you $7 a month

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time Microsoft did this promotion, it was a limit of one.

NOTE: WHEN PURCHASING A MONTH OF XBOX LIVE FOR $1.00, YOUR RENEWAL DEFAULT WILL CHANGE TO 'ACTIVE.' DOING SO, MEANS YOU WILL BE CHARGED $7 OR SO EVERY MONTH UNLESS YOU CALL TO TAKE RENEWAL OFF!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']There's an option to turn off auto-renewal on XBOX.com.[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly- the last time this offer happened, the web site could not be used to turn off auto-renewal. A phone call had to be made.

hmmm i turned on my xbox to take advantage but decided against it...

i hate autorenewals where you can't turn it off via web... ahem ECA..

[quote name='confoosious']hmmm i turned on my xbox to take advantage but decided against it...

i hate autorenewals where you can't turn it off via web... ahem ECA..[/QUOTE]

I hear you on that one. I'm glad I put a prepaid card on ECA.

If you have a CC linked to your XBL account, it's a major PITA to get it removed from your XBL account if your account is still active. When they did this for me a couple of weeks ago, they had to "cancel" my Gold account and then send me XBL subscription codes to give me back the "missing" time from the cancellation.

Pass on something like this and just pick up subscription cards when they go on-sale on the cheap.

I did this $1 last week, but did not see the auto-renewal bit (so thanks, CAGers).

You can turn it off in xboxlive.com, but it is not easy. Under My Account and Membership Level. It takes sitting through quite a few screens of them telling you why you should not turn it off before you get the option too.

Also, my 3 month card had not expired (and thus my $1 month had not started), and it looks like turning off Auto-Renewal took the $1 month away. :/

[quote name='shrike4242']If you have a CC linked to your XBL account, it's a major PITA to get it removed from your XBL account if your account is still active. When they did this for me a couple of weeks ago, they had to "cancel" my Gold account and then send me XBL subscription codes to give me back the "missing" time from the cancellation.

Pass on something like this and just pick up subscription cards when they go on-sale on the cheap.[/QUOTE]

Before I started using XBLA prepaid cards exclusively, i had my cc tied to my xbox account. You can't remove it but you can change the expiration date. Just put it in the past. (This may or may not still work.)

Btw - I have an old gamertag that i can't recover the password to because i don't have access to that email. does anyone know a way to recover?

[quote name='confoosious']Before I started using XBLA prepaid cards exclusively, i had my cc tied to my xbox account. You can't remove it but you can change the expiration date. Just put it in the past. (This may or may not still work.)

Btw - I have an old gamertag that i can't recover the password to because i don't have access to that email. does anyone know a way to recover?[/QUOTE]Just because the expiration date isn't right doesn't mean it won't go through with a different expiration date. Some vendors do try to run CC's with different expiration dates than the one on-file, though it doesn't mean Microsoft would try something like that.

I decided that since my card on file with MS wasn't valid any longer due to the number being compromised, I wanted to remove it and leave no CC on file with them. Which turned into the saga I had with the deletion of my XBL Gold account and the emailing of the subscription codes to backfill my subscription again.

If you want to get back an old GT, I think if you have the CC # on file with them for the account and the billing address information, you can get it back.

[quote name='confoosious']Before I started using XBLA prepaid cards exclusively, i had my cc tied to my xbox account. You can't remove it but you can change the expiration date. Just put it in the past. (This may or may not still work.)

Btw - I have an old gamertag that i can't recover the password to because i don't have access to that email. does anyone know a way to recover?[/QUOTE]

You can remove a credit card from your account through the manage payment options link on the marketplace section of www.xbox.com.

At least you can when you've used that CC for just buying points. As I've added and removed credit cards numerous times that way. I don't know if that changes when you use it to buy subscription time.

You cannot turn off auto-renewal through the website. You have to call and spend 15 minutes spelling out your gamertag character by character to someone who has tremendous difficulty distinguishing Bs from Zs and Ms from Ns.

[quote name='Survivalism']You cannot turn off auto-renewal through the website. You have to call and spend 15 minutes spelling out your gamertag character by character to someone who has tremendous difficulty distinguishing Bs from Zs and Ms from Ns.[/QUOTE]

That's your fault for including any letters in your gamertag that sound like other letters.

[quote name='Survivalism']You cannot turn off auto-renewal through the website. You have to call and spend 15 minutes spelling out your gamertag character by character to someone who has tremendous difficulty distinguishing Bs from Zs and Ms from Ns.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can, I just did it. Click on the "ON" link on the Membership Level page.

You currently have

Xbox LIVE Prepaid 12 Month Gold Membership Card

End date: 9/1/2010
Automatic renewal: ON

[quote name='flameofdoom666']If I remember correctly- the last time this offer happened, the web site could not be used to turn off auto-renewal. A phone call had to be made.[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks.

[quote name='shrike4242']If you have a CC linked to your XBL account, it's a major PITA to get it removed from your XBL account if your account is still active. When they did this for me a couple of weeks ago, they had to "cancel" my Gold account and then send me XBL subscription codes to give me back the "missing" time from the cancellation.

Pass on something like this and just pick up subscription cards when they go on-sale on the cheap.[/QUOTE]

Eeeesh! Not worth it.

If your CC company does virtual account numbers, you can use that to buy subscriptions and/or points. The "cards" typically expire after 6-8 weeks so if a company tries to auto renew, it would come back as declined.

[quote name='Eldredpe']You can remove a credit card from your account through the manage payment options link on the marketplace section of www.xbox.com.

At least you can when you've used that CC for just buying points. As I've added and removed credit cards numerous times that way. I don't know if that changes when you use it to buy subscription time.[/QUOTE]

^ this is worth emphasizing. I believe it's a fairly new function on the website, but yeah. I was able to *finally* remove my expired credit card from the list with this.

I am gold, and I don't expire until November and this offer showed up for me. I bought it, just wish I bought more than 1.

Yes you can, I turned it off today through the website.

[quote name='confoosious']hmmm i turned on my xbox to take advantage but decided against it...

i hate autorenewals where you can't turn it off via web... ahem ECA..[/QUOTE]

you scared me when you said that so i went and tried to shut off auto renewal on the eca and it worked it let me shut off auto renewal and cancel my membership on the website, it may have changed

[quote name='po00op']I heard that this $1 promotion comes with that MW2 riot shield. Can anyone confirm it?[/QUOTE]

I got no shield.

There have been several people saying this and that, and I'm not sure what to believe. May somebody that has truly explored the options--rather than someone who's speculating--answer my questions?

Questions:
1) Can you really turn off auto-renew via online? Do you go to "Membership Level" at xbox.com?
2) Can you take your credit card off via online, thus invalidating Shrike's arguments on the previous page? Do you go to https://billing.microsoft.com/home.aspx or what?
3) Can gold members really view this offer? If so, does it show up on the "Spotlight" tab?
4) Does this come with the MW2 riot shield that po00op mentioned? spydey says no, but can another person confirm?

Thanks in advance.

Answers:

1) Goatbuster says yes, but make sure you turn it off auto-renew AFTER any prepaid card redemptions because prepaid cards turn it on as well.
2)
3)
4) spydey says no. po00op says the riot shield might've come from a different promo.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spydey']I got no shield.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...I guess it might've been a different promotion because I had a friend who said he bought 1 month via Dashboard and it gave him a riot shield and it happened really recently too.

[quote name='dieresis']
Questions:
1) Can you really turn off auto-renew via online? Do you go to "Membership Level" at xbox.com?[/QUOTE]
I just did it the other day. However, I turned it off, then redeemed a prepaid card and it turned autorenewal back on. So just make sure you turn it off AFTER any prepaid card redemptions.

[quote name='shrike4242']Just because the expiration date isn't right doesn't mean it won't go through with a different expiration date. Some vendors do try to run CC's with different expiration dates than the one on-file, though it doesn't mean Microsoft would try something like that.

I decided that since my card on file with MS wasn't valid any longer due to the number being compromised, I wanted to remove it and leave no CC on file with them. Which turned into the saga I had with the deletion of my XBL Gold account and the emailing of the subscription codes to backfill my subscription again.

If you want to get back an old GT, I think if you have the CC # on file with them for the account and the billing address information, you can get it back.[/QUOTE]

To build off this, some providers - MOST actually - will provide your NEW CC # to a renewal service WITHOUT your authorization... When I found that out I was livid with my bank - but that's how it is. I'm not even talking about your expiration date - they can/will provide an entirely new CC# even if you get it changed.

EDIT: Obviously ways have been shown to remove your card entirely, but this is something everyone should know in regards to ANY renewal service.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']If I remember correctly- the last time this offer happened, the web site could not be used to turn off auto-renewal. A phone call had to be made.[/QUOTE]

Both are incorrect. It *used* to be that you had to call in & it was a major pain to get it done. Now you can just shut it off via the web.

i think the promo ended

it was something about silver members buying or getting a gold subscription to receive the shield.

Oh fuck, off topic, but I never read fully into the whole ECA.com debacle, how would I cancel my membership there before auto-renewal?

APRIL FOOLS on Microsoft.... looking on the dash board I found 1 month of live gold membership for only $1... Today only? Gold member exclusive? dunno... but a month of live for a buck is a steal.... enjoy

[quote name='Fatsteveo22']I'm not seeing it on here can someone tell me what's it under?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I found it on the dashboard under the Spotlight tab

My account is up in 3 days maybe that has something to do with it not showing up?

I looked and got nothing just t-mobile crap.

bread's done
Back