# 1 Must See Horror Flick for Halloween

[quote name='Vulgarism']Took out most of your post :lol:

But honestly, I think even 25 years later, Day of the Dead has some of the best practical effects that still hold up. Coincidentally enough, Day is also my favorite of the series. Night and Dawn both are great for their time, and still wonderful, but I do enjoy 80s films, and Day pretty much seeps with 80s awesomeness. Plus, Rhodes is completely badass.[/QUOTE]

lol its ok I tend to get long winded, especially when talking horror.

Day of the dead is very underappreciated. Romero had so many headaches to endure with this production, like having half his budget cut, it's astounding he was able to make it at all.

Rhodes still has one of the best zombie movie deaths ever.

[quote name='The Crotch']On The Thing: I didn't say it was bad or not worth watching. Just that it had aged the worst. The scene that was supposed to be the big "Oh shit!" in Mouth of Madness has the same problem.[/QUOTE]

..Well...I'm going to think that's because you know its coming, you've seen the movie enough times, you only get thrilled once with a movie, every other time you watch it, its nostalgia :)

Show someone the Thing for the first time and I guarantee they'll either be grossed out or scared shitless, depending on age.

I think it holds up very, very well.....there are only a few glimpses at the age of the movie, and one of them is the rebranded Apple II computer playing chess with MacReady. well that and the cassette recorder, I'll be kids look at that thing and go "WTF is that?" :D

[quote name='dkcecil']

Day of the dead is very underappreciated. Romero had so many headaches to endure with this production, like having half his budget cut, it's astounding he was able to make it at all.

Rhodes still has one of the best zombie movie deaths ever.[/QUOTE]

Day is an outstanding movie, and should not be knocked. You just need a strong stomach, its by far the grossest of all the DEAD films and was made at a time when hands-on, pre-cgi gore was at its peak.

[quote name='dkcecil']lol its ok I tend to get long winded, especially when talking horror.

Rhodes still has one of the best zombie movie deaths ever.[/QUOTE]

I've read the script for Romero's original version, and as much as I'd like to see what that would have culminated in, I still believe the version of Day we got was a superb 80s horror film. Plus, it's kinda funny seeing a young Nicotero in it.

For the budget
I can't believe how great Savini's effects work ended up. Rhodes getting torn apart, and the eyeball scene were spectacular.

Also, another pretty great (albeit, not scary) film I'm gonna be watching around Halloween is Dumplings. It's not a horror film in the practical sense, but the subject matter is pretty terrifying.

[quote name='PR Mega X']Trick 'r Treat is also a great one, along with any of the Nightmare On Elm Street movies (especially the first one).[/QUOTE]
Just saw Trick 'r Treat last night. It definitely is a great Halloween movie, totally fits the season. Not really scary though, but I guess that's not really the point of the movie.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Day is an outstanding movie, and should not be knocked. You just need a strong stomach, its by far the grossest of all the DEAD films and was made at a time when hands-on, pre-cgi gore was at its peak.[/QUOTE]

yeah of aall the 3 original fis the gore in day holds up the best. the stuff in dawn looks very dated im was watching it the ther day and i couldnt help but laugh at how bad it all looks now.

i still love the film for how it had me scared shitless as a kid but ive seen so many films now the vilence is comical. but the human greed is very strong i never noticed how they all started to change being in the mall.

Not too many movies for me, I don't care for slasher/zombie flicks. I watched Murder Party last year which was fun but not something I feel the need to watch a second time. A lot of the scary movies I like tend to be set around Christmas.

This year i'm going to watch:
Poultrygeist

Made-for-TV fav's I watch every year:
Mad Monster Party - The stop-motion classic, so groovy, so much fun
Garfield's Halloween Adventure
It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

I might pop in Count Duckula this year, I have the DVD set but never opened it. I've got a few TV shows from iTunes that have Halloween episodes as well. Also need to try and catch The Simpson's Treehouse of Horror, but it's always on a weird day other than Halloween.

Can anyone recommend me some movies similar to Trick 'r Treat? I love that movie, as well as Creepshow 1+2, Twilight Zone movie, Tales from the Darkside etc.

I particularly liked Trick 'r Treat because of the idea of Halloween and keeping the traditions alive and stuff. I absolutely love Halloween so movies centered around that would be a plus.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Not a movie per se, but there's a series on youtube entitled Marble Hornets. Here's the intro explaining the backstory. It's really well-made and genuinely freaked me out more than any other bullshit 1st-person horror flick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmhfn3mgWUI[/QUOTE]

So thats it huh? Kinda disappointed. Some of the stuff was very chiche and it kind ended badly too imo.

3 years and nothing and then his gf turns on a camera and that guys shows up again? Please.

I got through about 22 episodes of Marble Hornets last night before bed. Ended up having nightmares. The series is unabashedly cheesy, obviously due to budget, but if you let that slide and get into the atmosphere of what they're really trying to do it's pretty fantastic.

[quote name='nasum']I got through about 22 episodes of Marble Hornets last night before bed. Ended up having nightmares. The series is unabashedly cheesy, obviously due to budget, but if you let that slide and get into the atmosphere of what they're really trying to do it's pretty fantastic.[/QUOTE]

yeah it started cool but fell apart pretty quickly especially during their acting moments. the concept is cool though.

bread's done
Back