1 year old DS lite died. What are my options?

ChernobylCow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
Dropped my girlfriend's metallic rose DS yesterday and killed it. I think I bought it about a year ago from Target but definitely do not have the receipt. Could I call the number on the back of the device and talk to Nintendo about a warranty or something?

The device won't power on. When plugged in its charge glows "orange".

Surely you guys know more about what my options are here than I do.

(Luckily she can use my blue DS for Puzzle Quest 2. Otherwise I would be one dead kobold :shock:.)

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Dropped my girlfriend's metallic rose DS yesterday and killed it. I think I bought it about a year ago from Target but definitely do not have the receipt. Could I call the number on the back of the device and talk to Nintendo about a warranty or something?

The device won't power on. When plugged in its charge glows "orange".

Surely you guys know more about what my options are here than I do.

(Luckily she can use my blue DS for Puzzle Quest 2. Otherwise I would be one dead kobold :shock:.)[/QUOTE]

I would call Nintendo to fix it or at least find out how much it cost or if it's still under warranty. I know they have a base price of some sort. The good part is when they do fix it it comes another 1 year warranty.

I would call Nintendo first to figure out the repair cost and if there is any extended warranty. And also try to look around places for USED DS lite to see if the repair cost is justified.

I don't think buying a DSi or DSi XL at this time is the right move, as the more news of the 3DS will be coming out soon.

Repair costs for DS Lites in general are ridiculous ($75+). It comes down to basically replacing the original parts that are now broken with new parts, and the amount of time needed to do so. There're guides out there on how to do it, but save yourself the trouble if you're not very good with tools, and tiny objects.

Best suggestion: Look or wait for a good deal, and replace the unit.

Update: I called Nintendo and the DS was 10 days out of warranty but the woman offered (with zero pestering on my part) to give me the "in-warranty" repair price of $60. Considering I bought the DS for $99 at Target a year ago I think we're going to pass. She can always play on my blue one.

Thanks for the help.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Update: I called Nintendo and the DS was 10 days out of warranty but the woman offered (with zero pestering on my part) to give me the "in-warranty" repair price of $60. Considering I bought the DS for $99 at Target a year ago I think we're going to pass. She can always play on my blue one.

Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

You should ask them if they are willing to offer you a trade up if you were willing to pay a little more to just trade up to either a new DS Lite, or maybe a DSi if you wanted one. Manufacturer's normally offer these trade ups to customers since they can always sell the older unit as refurbished once they fix it and they set you up with a new system, so I would just ask, even if you are out of warranty. But I'd say you should just stalk warehousedeals for a new DS of some sort since they're pretty cheap.

[quote name='Squarehard']You should ask them if they are willing to offer you a trade up if you were willing to pay a little more to just trade up to either a new DS Lite, or maybe a DSi if you wanted one. Manufacturer's normally offer these trade ups to customers since they can always sell the older unit as refurbished once they fix it and they set you up with a new system, so I would just ask, even if you are out of warranty. But I'd say you should just stalk warehousedeals for a new DS of some sort since they're pretty cheap.[/QUOTE]

Never thought about that, and that may work. To the original poster, do either of you play GBA games on the DS?

[quote name='eldergamer']I've had my DS original Phat now for over 5 years. Still works.[/QUOTE]

Nearing 6 years with mine. Only issue is the battery life is slowly winding down.

I think the Manufacturer or Warehouse deals ideas are good to look into. One of these days I will upgrade to a Lite, possibly through those routes

[quote name='craven_fiend']
I think the Manufacturer or Warehouse deals ideas are good to look into. One of these days I will upgrade to a Lite, possibly through those routes[/QUOTE]Just a heads up if you're used to the size of the phat you're going to have a bit of hand cramp when using the lite, at least I did after using the phat for 3 years.

Damn brah what'd you drop it on? Must've been serious because even though a DS Phat is a tank compared to the Lite, the Lite is a tank of it's own in my experience and mine still looks mint.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Update: I called Nintendo and the DS was 10 days out of warranty but the woman offered (with zero pestering on my part) to give me the "in-warranty" repair price of $60. Considering I bought the DS for $99 at Target a year ago I think we're going to pass. She can always play on my blue one.

Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

could ask to talk to their boss...i was able to get a Ds Lite fixxed out of warrenty free of charge and a 1 year new warrenty on it... BUT in my account i had around 7 to 10 nintendo systems that never had to be fixxed so they said they would make a one time deal and fix the system for free.

the worker first said they would fix the system for free then came back 10mins later and told me it would cost 75 bucks... I was like you told me 10 mins ago it was free... I then asked to talk to the higherups

the higher up agreed to fix the system for free so maybe call back and asked to talk to one of the higher ups ... then again its a DROP so i dont even know that would even be covered under the 1 year thing

i had a fat Ds for 3 years before i sold it off never had a problem

had the first gen Ds lite had a massive battery problem (wouldnt hold a charge aroun
d 19 months in returned for a new system thanks to best buy return plan

got a 2nd ds lite in 2009 and the hinge broke july 2010 and got it replaced by the 2 year best buy free plan ..

got a DSI XL now and lets see how long this last

Just a heads up, some credit cards double manuf warranties if you bought it with them but you need all paperwork/receipts. so if the DS was in warranty and bought with X card that has double warranty, you pay out of pocket for repair and then submit forms and they reimburse you.

[quote name='eldergamer']I've had my DS original Phat now for over 5 years. Still works.[/QUOTE]

Me too. And yet with my husband's DSlite that I bought him, the hinge broke within months of purchase. The DSlite, at least (dunno about DSi or XL), is a huge downgrade in manufacturing quality than the phatty.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Me too. And yet with my husband's DSlite that I bought him, the hinge broke within months of purchase. The DSlite, at least (dunno about DSi or XL), is a huge downgrade in manufacturing quality than the phatty.[/QUOTE]
Huh; I've had sort of the opposite experience. I've now had my Lite longer than I had my Phat. Got rid of the latter after it developed touchscreen calibration problems, and it wasn't worth it by that point to attempt repairing it myself.

I have a Japanese Lite, though I don't know if that makes much of a difference. My husband's Lite is a North American model which is older than mine and has had a weird (but not critical) issue with one of the screens, but he doesn't play DS games as frequently as I do.

bread's done
Back