10/17 XBOX LIVE Down for Maintenance - "Cool Stuff" Revealed

[quote name='Scorch']"big releases" don't mean they get copies days in advance, only street dated titles come in days in advance. They may same day ship it so they'll have it Tuesday night, though.

Awesome about the 360 version being this week.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking. Same thing happened with Pandora Tomorrow IIRC, it came in that tuesday night.

I don't know if this is worth it's own thread but Lumines is up on ParnetNet along with a 600 point downloadable content package.

[quote name='Kakesu']
Downloading this.

PartnerNet is the developer network that games are tested on before they are released. It's basically a second copy of Xbox Live.

Turnaround on items that appear on PartnerNet vary widely. I've seen anywhere from a week to months (Texas Hold'Em was up on PartnerNet in January, then taken down, then put back up again).
[/quote]

Let's hope that means we'll get Lumines this Wednesday.

[quote name='Sporadic']I don't know if this is worth it's own thread but Lumines is up on ParnetNet along with a 600 point downloadable content package.

Let's hope that means we'll get Lumines this Wednesday.[/QUOTE]

UMK3 went up at the same time Lumines did on partnernet. So I'm not really sure it means shit, except that they are both very close to being done.

[quote name='Sporadic']I don't know if this is worth it's own thread but Lumines is up on ParnetNet along with a 600 point downloadable content package.

Let's hope that means we'll get Lumines this Wednesday.[/quote]

So I'm guessing PartnerNet is the XBLM for users with debug units right?

It has to be something major like a dash look update, something really cool with clan support, more servers, video conferencing, live anywhere integration is still my best guess. Why else would they shut xbox.com and xbl down. They may also be redesigning xbox.com and xbl...who knows this is fun they better not dissapoint

The only reason I can think of that they would need to bring live offline is to actually update the software live runs on. Probably stability enhancements, bug fixes mostly. But I expect a couple of features to be there to.

I think they should make achievements for some of the more popular xbox games like halo 2. Give me a reason to replay them.

I'd like an Auto-reconnect function :bomb:

fucking hate it when I set something to DL, go do something else for a few hours, then come back to see it disconnected at 25%.

I wonder if part of the "cool stuff" will be a massive BC update, or maybe that every XBOX game will be BC. Whatever it is I hope its something big.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I wonder if part of the "cool stuff" will be a massive BC update, or maybe that every XBOX game will be BC. Whatever it is I hope its something big.[/quote]

That would be nice, maybe they mentioned for us to bring out the old black xbox for one last time on the 17th because this maintenance will make all xbox games BC.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I wonder if part of the "cool stuff" will be a massive BC update, or maybe that every XBOX game will be BC. Whatever it is I hope its something big.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. That wouldn't require taking live off line to accomplish, just a patch. Whatever it is has to do with the live service itself.

I still think it has something to do with installing a bunch of dedicated servers. I've always wondered what I'm paying a monthly fee for if in many games users are hosting games. My monthly fee should insure me fast server hosting of every game released.

[quote name='Richlough']Maybe a massive Gears of War online "stress test" .

XBL is gonna get swamped on Emergence day .[/quote]
I'm sure they've had higher traffic days. On the original Xbox anyways.

[quote name='tayaf69']I think they should make achievements for some of the more popular xbox games like halo 2. Give me a reason to replay them.[/QUOTE]
Halo 2 for Vista will have achievements. This is the only way you'll get Halo 2 achievements on your Gamercard.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I wonder if part of the "cool stuff" will be a massive BC update, or maybe that every XBOX game will be BC. Whatever it is I hope its something big.[/QUOTE]
I wish it was BC, but I doubt it

i only ask for 3 games to become BC: MVP 2005, MVP 2006. and NFL 2K5. unfortunately i dont think that will ever happen due to the licensing nonsense

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']I'd probably use it to download some videos[/QUOTE]

In what format?

That's the real problem with console web browsers. The web browser is running on a non standard OS. So most likely, you won't be able to install codecs willy nilly to run the dozens of popular audio and video formats out there. So what about downloading files? Why would the browser let you download files you can never execute on the console? The console environment is far more closed.

These are all issues with console browsers. I wouldn't expect to be able to do much with them other than browse web pages of pictures and text, and that's about it.

[quote name='slickkill77']....bah on emergency day....remember cod 3 and rainbow 6 vegas come out in the same time frame[/quote]

Maybe a stress test for all 3 games at one time?

I have a feeling it will be something dumb...

You know what Id like to see? A "Your download has X amount of time left" for marketplace content.

it could run Opera..like the DS..but i doubt it is that.. i co-sign the stress test.. possibly some little behind the scenes additions nothing mind blowing...

[quote name='Trakan']I'm sure they've had higher traffic days. On the original Xbox anyways.[/QUOTE]

With less subscribers ? There's way more people on LIVE now .

Don't expect a browser.

With Rainbow Six: Vegas, Gears of War, COD3 and Double Agent all coming out within the next month, there's no doubt it's going offline for a stress test.

As far as the "cool stuff".. BC update containing all of the good XBox games. Please?

[quote name='Scorch']Don't expect a browser.

With Rainbow Six: Vegas, Gears of War, COD3 and Double Agent all coming out within the next month, there's no doubt it's going offline for a stress test.

As far as the "cool stuff".. BC update containing all of the good XBox games. Please?[/QUOTE]

With you on wanting a BC update. Just some fighting games and some SEGA games would make me really happy.

This might be a good place to drop my long time newb question that's been burning in the back of my mind.

What exactly do we pay for with our gold memberships? Before I bought an xbox 360, I assumed it was similar to an mmo, where part of what you are paying for is dedicated fast servers for every game. I was a little let down when I join some games and realize that players are hosts with 0 ping.

So am I missing something here? It seems as if all live gold is, is player matching but no hosting? Can someone iron this out for me?

[quote name='thrustbucket']This might be a good place to drop my long time newb question that's been burning in the back of my mind.

What exactly do we pay for with our gold memberships? Before I bought an xbox 360, I assumed it was similar to an mmo, where part of what you are paying for is dedicated fast servers for every game. I was a little let down when I join some games and realize that players are hosts with 0 ping.

So am I missing something here? It seems as if all live gold is, is player matching but no hosting? Can someone iron this out for me?[/quote]
silver doesn't give you access to play people... just to the marketplace...

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/memberships/?WT.svl=nav

[quote name='Scorch']As far as the "cool stuff".. BC update containing all of the good XBox games. Please?[/QUOTE]

Yes, please.

I want to play Def Jam: FFNY

[quote name='thamaster24']Get your gaming in now.... NO gaming for a while until 10/18 soon, HURRY while supplies last!![/QUOTE]

you do know theres single player for a reason

[quote name='thamaster24']What is single player?[/quote]
masturbation

[quote name='Sporadic']Yes, please.

I want to play Def Jam: FFNY[/quote]

That game is freakin' awesome

[quote name='rly723']well, this sucks...jsut when i get saints row/have table tennis/fifa world cup on the way tomorrow. live is down for a day[/quote]

Saints row is best played offline.

Does Def Jam use No Mercy's engine?

Great!! GREAT!!! What am I going to do now? No FREAKIN HALO 2 for one day. I AM ABOUT TO EXPLODE HERE!!! It's almost 7 in the morning and I have to wait till 12 FREAKIN MIDNIGHT to get some freakin CAPTURE THE FREAKING FLAG... That's it, I am going to stab someone with a rusted SPOON!!!

[quote name='xtchuh']Great!! GREAT!!! What am I going to do now? No FREAKIN HALO 2 for one day. I AM ABOUT TO EXPLODE HERE!!! It's almost 7 in the morning and I have to wait till 12 FREAKIN MIDNIGHT to get some freakin CAPTURE THE FREAKING FLAG... That's it, I am going to stab someone with a rusted SPOON!!!

[/QUOTE]

I'm going to go bludgeon someone to death with the 360s power brick.

[quote name='Wez455']I'm going to go bludgeon someone to death with the 360s power brick.[/quote]

I'll put mine to good use...

sadlertrap1.jpg

The xbox.com website has this msg:

Xbox.com and the Xbox Live® service are currently down for maintenance.
We’ll be back soon with amazing new My Xbox® features!

Maybe by "cool stuff" they meant cool stuff on their website?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The xbox.com website has this msg:

Maybe by "cool stuff" they meant cool stuff on their website?[/QUOTE]

That would actually make the most sense. I bet they integrated a lot more features in MyXbox.

Maybe they're going to make the entire Xbox library backwards compatible... finally.

I know, long shot, but I can hope. I don't like to think I kept Psychonauts and Stranger's Wrath for nothing.

bread's done
Back