10 Facts about Gaming You probably Didn't Know

Assasin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
And if you did, then pretend you don't haha

1. The original concept of Sony’s giant slaying title Shadow of the Colossus featured a group of characters on horseback that would work together in taking down the Colossi, but unfortunately the PS2 hardware couldn’t cope with the demand of having additional players involved. Despite the its original concept, SotC arrived as a single player title, a ruddy good one at that…

2. Online gaming is not as revolutionary as you may think. In the 90s, a peripheral called the Satellaview was released for the Super Nintendo, which allowed gamers to download gaming news and retro classics.

3. Final Fantasy VII was originally intended for the Nintendo 64, but Squaresoft (as Square-Enix was once known) decided to utilise the capabilities of the PSOne’s CD media in favour of N64 cartridges. Had Squaresoft released FFVII on the N64 it would have filled 13 cartridges.

4. Sixty percent of all Americans age six and older, or about 145 million people, play computer and video games. The average age of a gamer is 28 years old.

5. It’s only humanly possible to press a button on a controller 16 times per second. This record was set by Toshuyuki Takahashi, a gamer from Japan. No surprises there then!

6. In World Of Warcraft, there’s a dungeon called Uldaman where you can find and recruit three ‘lost dwarves’, who look very similar to characters from The Lost Vikings on SNES.

7. In the first Fallout, if you create your own character with less than 4 intelligence you can’t converse with anyone; your only dialogue options are various grunts or other guttural noises. This makes the game insanely difficult to finish.

8. If you thought the Halo series was popular, think again. Wii Play has sold around twice as much as Halo 3, shifting some 16 million copies.

9. Rockstar removed a character called ‘Darkel‘ from Grand Theft Auto 3 following the events of September 11th. Darkel was a homeless guy who would let you rig buildings with explosives. It was probably a good decision that Rockstar decided to omit Darkel from the hit PS2 title.

10. The little sisters from Bioshock started out as a very different concept in early stages of production. Early concepts had them as Adam hungry mole creatures and 1950s style robots. Fortunately for everyone, neither of these early concepts were taken forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AzzidReign']

Wii Play has sold around twice as much as Halo 3, shifting some 16 million copies.

[/quote]

Shouldn't that be "shitting"?

[quote name='AzzidReign']4. Sixty percent of all Americans age six and older, or about 145 million people, play computer and video games. The average age of a gamer is 28 years old.

5. It’s only humanly possible to press a button on a controller 16 times per second. This record was set by Toshuyuki Takahashi, a gamer from Japan. No surprises there then!

7. In the first Fallout, if you create your own character with less than 4 intelligence you can’t converse with anyone; your only dialogue options are various grunts or other guttural noises. This makes the game insanely difficult to finish.

10. The little sisters from Bioshock started out as a very different concept in early stages of production. Early concepts had them as Adam hungry mole creatures and 1950s style robots. Fortunately for everyone, neither of these early concepts were taken forward.[/QUOTE]

4. Hmm, that probably includes all the old people playing Farmville. I would think that if you just count actual video games, the percentage and average age would be a lower.

5. I got up t0 4, maybe 5.

7. Lol, makes me want to start a new game with 0 intelligence.

10. Glad they stuck with the little sisters. If they were moles or robots, I would have harvested all of them instead of saving them.

1. Cutting it down to one player in game didnt have anything to do with PS2 hardware limitations. Fumito Ueda didn't want it seen as a sequel to ICO which is why the NICO name was dropped as well.

2. That's not online gaming

3. It was nothing but a tech demo which was never intended to be released on the N64 and the 13 cart number pure horseshit

9. GTA III released October 2001.

I always hate clicking on these "10 things you didn't know about gaming" topics.

Mostly because I've already read hundreds of them and now know what they think I don't know. Though, I don't usually remember what I learned, I do recall it after reading the list, so it's more like "10 things you should remember from that other 10 things you didn't know about gaming list".

/rant

6. In World Of Warcraft, there’s a dungeon called Uldaman where you can find and recruit three ‘lost dwarves’, who look very similar to characters from The Lost Vikings on SNES.

[/QUOTE]

Um look very similar my ass it is them. Erik the Swift, Baelog the Fierce, and Olaf the Stou. They also make more than once appearance in wow, and Erik the swift is also the name of a troll in wow as well. Also going back to Uldaman there is a quest to gather two parts of a staff if read back words spell lost vikings.

I'm guessing there are things wrong or incomplete with the other nine but I'm not checking. Fail list.

2. Online gaming is not as revolutionary as you may think. In the 90s, a peripheral called the Satellaview was released for the Super Nintendo, which allowed gamers to download gaming news and retro classics.

Anyone remember Sega Channel? Talk about being ahead of your time.

I don't care how many copies Wii Play has sold, who cares. It sells because it's the easiest way to get a second controller, not because people play and enjoy and obsess over it like Halo or Call of Duty or Madden or any other big name franchise.

2) Satellview was primarily a distribution system. This was more of an early example of DLC than online gaming, which had been happening on computers since the 1970s.

3) This is a rather nebulous distinction. A CD is a known quantity in terms of storage while a cartridge is moving target dependent on the cost/density of available mask ROM at the time the product is meant to ship. Cartridges on the N64 varied from 32 Mb (4 MB) up to 512 Mb (64 MB) for Resident Evil II.

It should also be noted that much of the space consumed on each FFVII disc was repeated on each disc. The actual unique data volume is considerably less than the combined capacity of those discs. Likewise, FFVII used Red Book audio, which is to say standard CD audio playing off the disc. Using the N64's MIDI functionality would have sacrificed a good deal of audio quality in exchange for a massive reduction in storage requirements but it would still have sounded far better than any of the preceding games on the SNES.

But FFVII was never going to be an N64 game once the final specs for the console were decided. The earliest work for what became FFVII happened on the SNES-CD, the add-on canceled by Nintendo only after Square had completed one game for it. This was Secret of Mana, which originally was endowed with several FMV sequences. The removal of these lead to the somewhat disjointed parts of the game where no new expository material was created to replace the FMV content.

If one looks at the current state of the art for DS cartridge games, topping out at 256 MB currently, it becomes apparent inexpensive storage is a major factor in exploiting the capabilities of a hardware platform.

8) Wii Play was primarily given away as a bundle item with secondary controllers for the platform. This hardly makes for a fair comparison. You might as well claim that the puzzle game pre-loaded on the hard drive of the first generation Xbox 360 was the platform's best selling game in its first year. After all, it had an attach rate of 100% for the Pro model! It's seems more than a little unlikely anyone laid down 400 bucks just to play that game, as some people may have done when titles like Super Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog were bundled with the base hardware.

There you go Sony, an idea that needs to be used again/revisited in Shadow of the Colossus 2 or DLC for a multiplayer portion of a re-release for Shadow of the Colossus in HD!

Online support for players to cooperatively take down Colossi. It will be epic given the power of the PS3 when compared to the PS2.

Fact 2).....

i thought there was a modem-like addon for the megadrive aswell in japan during early 90s ???

...infact theres one on ebay now :p Item number: 320522289336

4. Hmm, that probably includes all the old people playing Farmville. I would think that if you just count actual video games, the percentage and average age would be a lower.

5. I got up t0 4, maybe 5.

7. Lol, makes me want to start a new game with 0 intelligence

cool.........

[quote name='epobirs']It should also be noted that much of the space consumed on each FFVII disc was repeated on each disc. The actual unique data volume is considerably less than the combined capacity of those discs. Likewise, FFVII used Red Book audio, which is to say standard CD audio playing off the disc. Using the N64's MIDI functionality would have sacrificed a good deal of audio quality in exchange for a massive reduction in storage requirements but it would still have sounded far better than any of the preceding games on the SNES.[/QUOTE]
To clarify, since I'm not sure if this is what you meant: all of the game files were exactly the same from disk to disk except the FMVs; some of them (like the Gold Saucer entrance and exit) were repeated between disks, but "event" scenes (like Aeris' death) were not. All of the unique files for the game, including FMVs, add up to about 1.2 GB.

Also, Redbook? Really? There are well over eighty pieces of sound in the game, and since all of these files (including at least one that was never actually used) are the same from disk to disk, uncompressed audio would've been impossible. "One Winged Angel" and certain sound effects are probably the only Redbook audio pieces in the PSX version, if any were to exist... and even then, they might not be Redbook, but a different, compressed format.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='madbst']4. Hmm, that probably includes all the old people playing Farmville. I would think that if you just count actual video games, the percentage and average age would be a lower.

[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure I heard of that stat way before the Farmville craze. Which now makes me wonder how relevant it is now if its still being quoted today.

Also, I swear I read all of these "facts you didn't know about gaming" lists. Almost nothing is new to me now.

bread's done
Back