10% Off Amazon Gaming Purchases and Other Perks with ECA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
I graduated from college a couple years ago, and I read in here if you have an .edu email address you get a discount. Took a shot and requested an alumni email account. It got me the discount. :) Thanks CAG! Yay $5!

Cancelled my pre-orders for MURAMASA and FINAL FANTASY: DISSIDIA hoping to re-order them with the discount. Cleared out all my junk in "Recommended for you" and got 7 out of 8 games in my Gold Box today. Think it's about time I finally activate my PRIME trial! This is going to be an epic month...

[quote name='slidecage']new members only.. once you did one FREE thing for gamefly you will not be able to do another[/QUOTE]

i figured that would be the case. so much for the wishful thinking...

[quote name='Ndolger']Think it's about time I finally activate my PRIME trial! [/QUOTE]

Does Amazon allow you to cancel your Prime membership and then re-activate it at a later date?

Do you have to use the same email you signed up with, with Amazon? I plan on using my sisters edu email to get the discount then change email addresses.

[quote name='cheaphuck']Do you have to use the same email you signed up with, with Amazon?[/QUOTE]

No. I used a different address and it works fine.

[quote name='cheaphuck']Do you have to use the same email you signed up with, with Amazon? I plan on using my sisters edu email to get the discount then change email addresses.[/QUOTE]

I was able to switch email addresses after signing up with no problem. (I got the discount under my .edu address and then switched to my personal gmail account.) OddCosine is also correct that you don't need to use the same email address as your Amazon account to get the discounts, though some have speculated that that could change once ECA moves to permanent codes.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']You need to go to "Your Account" and then "Improve My Recommendations". Remove anything non-video game related in addition to anything else you don't want to use as a recommendation and you should see better recommendations the next day. You can also visit individual product pages and say, "I own this" to improve it even more.

I've been able to get 90% video game items in my Gold Box, although I'm still having some difficulty having more obscure titles like Little King's Story to show up.

I know you can get 10% off accessories, but when I went looking for a Nintendo Points card, it's listed as $22.99. What gives? It's still more expensive than buying it directly through the console even with the 10% discount. Is this a recent price hike?[/QUOTE]

I spent 2 hours on that a few days ago. Also took care of items saved in my shopping cart, wishlists, and browsing history which factor into quick picks. What appeared in mine today? A pair of headphones and 5 books, including the sequel to a book I marked as a gift, and marked not to use as recommendations. :( I want a wii dammit!

[quote name='DGenerateKane']I spent 2 hours on that a few days ago. Also took care of items saved in my shopping cart, wishlists, and browsing history which factor into quick picks. What appeared in mine today? A pair of headphones and 5 books, including the sequel to a book I marked as a gift, and marked not to use as recommendations. :( I want a wii dammit![/QUOTE]

Never had a console/handheld show up so I wouldnt hold your breath

[quote name='jacknicklson']Never had a console/handheld show up so I wouldnt hold your breath[/QUOTE]

I've had a couple 360's and PS3's show up before.

[quote name='DGenerateKane']I spent 2 hours on that a few days ago. Also took care of items saved in my shopping cart, wishlists, and browsing history which factor into quick picks. What appeared in mine today? A pair of headphones and 5 books, including the sequel to a book I marked as a gift, and marked not to use as recommendations. :( I want a wii dammit![/QUOTE]

Just a suggestion but I'd set everything to don't use for recommendations... then go in and say you own a wii controller and nunchuck and rate them 5 stars and give that 3-4 days. or whatever amazon lists as the frequently bought together with a wii if it's not those two things although knowing amazon it should be.

Motion+ showed up in my gold box.

Grabbed it for 16.99

shaved off $3 might as well get it, since you'll need more than just 1.

Looks like other folks are going to get in on this now. There was a write up about this discount in the USA Weekend section that is that special magazine section much like Parade that is in Saturday and Sunday papers.

I finally joined today. They wouldn't send the confirmation email to my main school email addy, but I'm taking a summer class at another school and the confirmation email there made it through. Yayyyy.

My school only gives .net e-mail addresses. Is there a way to still get a discount in this case? I e-mailed ECA support like two weeks ago asking and have never gotten a reply.

Been getting lucky with my Quick Picks the last week. Got Fight Night Round 4 and Mass Effect 2 in mine a few days ago. Next day, I got both Uncharted 2 and God of War III. I got 3 more video games, which I already had, and following that, I got Halo ODST. Now it's back to the normal Blu-rays. Weird.

oddest thing today... at least for me...

I go to check my goldbox and see Wii Sports Resort....

well I've had it preordered for like 2 months.

anyone have that happen before? I mean I guess I'll cancel and reorder but just seems odd....

I've had stuff reappear... it's very rare, but happened. (just this week, but I can't remember what it was, may have been WSR actually-- maybe a different SKU or something than when we initially pre-ordered?)

[quote name='Afflicted']oddest thing today... at least for me...

I go to check my goldbox and see Wii Sports Resort....

well I've had it preordered for like 2 months.

anyone have that happen before? I mean I guess I'll cancel and reorder but just seems odd....[/QUOTE]

Exactly that. I had pre-ordered Wii Sports Resort before I was an ECA member. I had decided not to cancel and re-order with the discount, but then it showed up in my Quick Picks. Since they were offering to renegotiate, I bit. With the ECA + Quick Pick price it went from $47 to just under $40. Woo-hoo!

I'm pretty sure I once got a Quick Pick deal for something I'd bought through the Marketplace.

I couldn't get the email to verify/pay for my membership to show up in my .mil email inbox, and customer service wasn't much help, then stopped replying to my emails altogether (or perhaps were getting sucked into the same void that my verification emails were). Luckily, my wife had a .edu email address from her college that she's never used. I managed to use that one, and got my membership for $14.99

...With that said, I bought the Turtle Beach X4 Wireless Headsets on sale at Amazon.com right now for $159.99 (reg $199.99).

Total was about $144 shipped (after 10% discount). The ECA membership more than paid for itself in just my first purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Crono51']I couldn't get the email to verify/pay for my membership to show up in my .mil email inbox, and customer service wasn't much help, then stopped replying to my emails altogether (or perhaps were getting sucked into the same void that my verification emails were). Luckily, my wife had a .edu email address from her college that she's never used. I managed to use that one, and got my membership for $14.99

...With that said, I bought the Turtle Beach X4 Wireless Headsets on sale at Amazon.com right now for $159.99 (reg $199.99).

Total was about $133.99 shipped (after 10% discount). The ECA membership more than paid for itself in just my first purchase.[/QUOTE]

I know if probably shouldn't... but if anyone can test the ECA against the 50% off accessories and games from the trade in promo, please report back.

OK, I have yet to join this ECA in order to get Amazons 10% discounts. My question is, are you having to download a coupon or something in order to buy each individual game? That seems rediculous since you have a "card type" number for being ECA members

[quote name='jjhearn']OK, I have yet to join this ECA in order to get Amazons 10% discounts. My question is, are you having to download a coupon or something in order to buy each individual game? That seems rediculous since you have a "card type" number for being ECA members[/QUOTE]

If by "download" you mean, log-in, click a link, and copy the coupon code, then yes you do.

So, is the ECA membership account still generating codes for use? How often are these things running out? It stills says on the ECA site that the membership is for multiple use(in so many words).

(The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

Straight from the site^

The codes ran out once since this started a few months back and they were out for a few days. Most of us have stocked up(hopefully within reason) to prevent any downtime with the codes in the future.

Love this ECA membership. Used it on a couple of games from the gold box and already have reserved Uncharted 2 and Mass Effect 2 for $48 each. Definitely worth it, as I've already used it about 8 times, and its not even holiday season.

[quote name='wayno187']I couldn't log into my account either.[/QUOTE]

Yesterday, it would lead to an error when I tried to login using IE, but Firefox worked.

Okay, I've read back a few pages and it seems I'm not the only one, but I cannot get this site to work. I used the link in post #1. Signed up, answered the survey and got the email. Clicked the link and it confirms that I'm signed up for the Newsletter.

I never submitted payment info, nor was asked for it so I cannot access the member area (obviously). What am I doing wrong?

[quote name='Corvin']Okay, I've read back a few pages and it seems I'm not the only one, but I cannot get this site to work. I used the link in post #1. Signed up, answered the survey and got the email. Clicked the link and it confirms that I'm signed up for the Newsletter.

I never submitted payment info, nor was asked for it so I cannot access the member area (obviously). What am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

nothing wrong, there will be another email with a link that takes you to the payment page
it usually arrives within 24 hours of signing up

[quote name='Corvin']Thanks vherub. I've been scouring the site for about 15 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Or if you don't want to wait just click on the "Re-send Validation E-Mail"... It will send the 2nd email instantly and allow you to purchase the membership...

[quote name='HockeyDOg3133']None of my codes seem to be working right now. Are any of you having problems as well?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I just tried to pre-order Other M and Galaxy 2 as they are in my Quick Picks and I tried 2 different codes and they both said the promotion had expired. Or more specifically:

Important Messages
This offer has expired. Please refer to the details in your promotional offer for further information.

I just posted this on the ECA forums because I didn't see it posted yet. I successfully used a code yesterday, so maybe the codes expired at the end of June. We'll see.

This time is a little different. Unique codes are being generated, but they are not working. It is July 1 today so I wonder if Amazon put an expiration date of June 30 on the ECA discount codes.

Yeah. I'm sure that there are people who are generating tons of codes that getting wasted. I was jotting them down even though I got the error message.

Ugh. Used some codes successfully yesterday too and was going to pick up the new Boom Blox today since it's $30. I hope Amazon is not doing something shady here.

Codes not working for me today, either. I went through 4 different codes (tried on different games to make sure it wasn't just an issue with one particular game) and it appears to be a recurring problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back