$10 TRU GC / expiration date?

rygar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I don't know if any of you guys remember that $10 GC with purchase of $75 or more coupon from TRU earlier this year, but I got one....and it has an expiration date of 12/31/2007. My problem is, I don't want anything from TRU right now (unless anyone knows of any deals coming in the next 5 days). Isn't there a law in CA saying that coupons/GCs cannot have expiration dates? Or does anyone think that they'll still honor the GC next year?

Or, maybe I can buy something, then return it and receive a new, unmarked GC?

The law that you refer to is a new law to CA, it states that merchants must redeem unused or partially used gift cards or certificates for cash after their expiration. However, the limit is $10. As this law takes effect on the first of January and your GC is only $10, you should not have a problem.

Technically, it wasn't a 'purchased' giftcard, but a free with purchase bonus. I may be wrong, but I think this law would cover something you paid money for, but not a freebie. Besides, I'm pretty sure the $10 freebies are treated as coupons, not actual gift cards. Are there restrictions on the back of it? (Not valid on Videogame Hardware, Formula and Diapers) If so, it's not a true gift card.

[quote name='sp00ge']Technically, it wasn't a 'purchased' giftcard, but a free with purchase bonus. I may be wrong, but I think this law would cover something you paid money for, but not a freebie. Besides, I'm pretty sure the $10 freebies are treated as coupons, not actual gift cards. Are there restrictions on the back of it? (Not valid on Videogame Hardware, Formula and Diapers) If so, it's not a true gift card.[/quote]
Ah, that's right. Giftcards that are given as promotional items do not apply to the law I referenced in my previous post (I forgot! I'm sorry!). I hit up Yahoo for some details, and found an informative news story here:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=5847904

As the GC you have is indeed considered a "promotional gift," TRU is not obligated to reimburse you with any cash amount remaining after the expiration date.

EDIT: TRU is having a 50% off sale on clearance games $10 or less. Go for it if you can't think of anything else to use your GC on.

Ah, I had forgotten about the new gift card reimbursement law...though I thought there was another law specifically regarding expiration dates for GCs (and coupons). Probably doesn't matter in this situation, since the GC was part of a promotion.

Nice tip on the 50% off cheapy clearance games....I'm definitely more inclined to use it now.

bread's done
Back