$100 Nintendo DS at Target B&M w/ DEC Catalog (YMMV)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
Sweetness! The upcoming TARGET stores monthly catalog "GATHER AROUND" December issue reveals a $99.99 price-tag for the Nintendo DS system. You can observe the caption thru this link (scroll to pg.56 and click on the child with the blue DS) :

http://catalog.target.com/december/.../kidscatalog/flash/toycatalog/&versionnum=1.4

UPDATE: Appears to be an ad misprint, but Target stores WILL HONOR $99.99 DS price (provided that you have the December catalog on-hand or want to attempt an online print-out). For more details, look here:
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000563069679

I was able to verify this deal using the original catalog with no hassles, but YMMV if you decide to use a print-out. Good luck and the promotion ends Dec.12.

UPDATE #2: I guess they already corrected the price for the DS on their website's online catalog, but you can still utilize the Target Guest Relations hotline number to authenticate the mis-price. It seems the promotion now ends Dec.5. Good luck.

[quote name='David85']It looks like I'll be waiting for Nintendo to lower the price to $100.[/QUOTE]

hahhah i bet an actual retail price drop wont be for a while. especially going straight to the 100 dollar mark.

the nintendogs bundle just came out for 150 and the mario bundle isn't even out yet.
nintendo has no reason to keep the 100 dollar price drop permanent.

Just did this today. Showed them the catalog at Target and walked out with an Electric Blue DS for $99.99. Now I have a Nintendogs Bundle Teal DS ($129.99 at Meijer), a Titanium DS (from launch), and today's Electric Blue DS.

I'm in socal, but did not try a socal target. As I mentioned in my earlier post, in case there are dead pixels, which are a big deal to me, I wanted to make sure I had gotten my system from a store which pretty much only deals with video games and where the clerks are equally anal about such things. Hence the Gamestop PM. I would try your local gamestops fellas (call first though, and ask if they follow the pricematching policy, since I was told it was store-to-store, and at some gamestops, apparently only the manager can choose to PM for a customer or not, and they dont work all the time obviously so...)

Now I just need to choose what my second game will be: Sonic Rush, Castlevania DS, or Mario and Luigi (on the 28th)...decisions, decisions, decisions...

BTW, Mario Kart is frickin mindblowing. Great great 60fps graphics and the best gameplay in the series. A couple awesome new maps too...like a clock one with movin gears and stuff.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']
Now I just need to choose what my second game will be: Sonic Rush, Castlevania DS, or Mario and Luigi (on the 28th)...decisions, decisions, decisions...
[/QUOTE]

How about all three? I'm in the same boat as far as which one to pick, but I would get Castlevania first (because the GBA ones became rare fast) and Sonic Rush second. Since Mario & Luigi is Nintendo's, it should be around longer.

[quote name='Archgarth']How about all three? I'm in the same boat as far as which one to pick, but I would get Castlevania first (because the GBA ones became rare fast) and Sonic Rush second. Since Mario & Luigi is Nintendo's, it should be around longer.[/QUOTE]
I've got Castlevania on my Christmas list, I will be picking up Sonic Rush and Mario & Luigi with the BB coupon if I can this month. I think you'll be happy with any and all of them, as Sonic and Castlevania are given ratings in the 90s.

[quote name='botticus']I've got Castlevania on my Christmas list, I will be picking up Sonic Rush and Mario & Luigi with the BB coupon if I can this month. I think you'll be happy with any and all of them, as Sonic and Castlevania are given ratings in the 90s.[/QUOTE]

I think the decision will be made easier when Mario and Luigi reviews start to surface tomorrow...

[quote name='bmarquardt']Just did this today. Showed them the catalog at Target and walked out with an Electric Blue DS for $99.99. Now I have a Nintendogs Bundle Teal DS ($129.99 at Meijer), a Titanium DS (from launch), and today's Electric Blue DS.[/QUOTE]

Why the fuck do you need three? I can't even get one.

The Teal DS is the one I really want too...

my uncle went to target today to buy a DS, he called me to ask me about something with it and I told him about the whol $99 price mistake thing and gave him the number so he could try it. He went up and luckily was able to do it with just the phone number and no print out or anything. I had him pick me up one too. Also he signed up for a target card today so all his purchases were 10% off and they even let him use on the two DS's. So we got two of them for 90 bucks each before tax, not a bad deal at all.

here is a clip with the 800 number taken from Joystiq

"Here is the original letter:

Thanks for your e-mail about The Nintenedo Dual Screen in the 2005 Holiday Catalog. The ad is a misprint, as the price in the system should be $129.99. However, Target is honoring the ad price of $99.99 if you are able to bring in a copy of the catalog. If you have any trouble at the store, have them call us at (800) 440-0680 and we will be able to assist you then. Keep in mind the catalog price expires on December 12th, 2005.

We always welcome your questions, so if we can assist you in the future, please contact our Target Guest Relations team at (800) 440-0680. You can also speak with a team member at the Guest Services Desk at your local Target store, or visit us on Target.com. Either way, we’re here to help!

Thanks for shopping with us. I hope we’ll see you again soon at Target. "

I just went to the Target in Huntersville, NC and even though I was the first one who had mentioned it to them, after looking at the screen shot and the joystiq post, they honored it with no questions. Very cool. I also signed up for the Target card and saved another 10%. So I ended up getting two electric blue DS's and two different copies of Nintendogs for 233.97 before tax. Out-the-door was 251.51. One of the best deals I've ever come across.

-wg

Bangor, ME Target would not honor the ad. This was after I waited for 20 mintues at 'Guest Services' and showed the manager the ad right on the computers they had at the 'Guest Services' center.

It was bad enough they thought I was trying to scam them, then even after I show it to them on their own in store computer they still wouldn't honor it. I gave them the 800 number, they called but corporate was currently closed.

The whole debacle ended with them saying "THIS IS FOR THE DECEMBER CATALOG, COME BACK IN DECEMBER." Even with all the information, they were pricks about it. They had to call over 3 different 'Guest Services' employees, two managers, two electronics associates and a make a big scene about it too. I'll probably be calling the corporate office to file a complaint anyway, just because they were so rude about it.

It worked for me. I showed the manager the print-out of the online catalog and he said that he had to ask around. He came back and said that they have to call the guest services 1-800 number. I waited about a half hour for them to come back and tell me that they were going to give me the DS for $99.99.

Sweet!

This is awesome, I'll be picking up mine this week along with Mario Kart. Then when my PSP sells on eBay, I'll pick up Animal Crossing: Wild World and Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time!

This is going to be awesome!

ya, i read a couple people had the december catalog and brought it, but then some people say the catalog is online only, so i don't know what is up. If there is a hard copy catalog i would prefer waiting to get it and then go it to get the DS for 99.99 it would be better insurance.

[quote name='mkg12']ya, i read a couple people had the december catalog and brought it, but then some people say the catalog is online only, so i don't know what is up. If there is a hard copy catalog i would prefer waiting to get it and then go it to get the DS for 99.99 it would be better insurance.[/QUOTE]
There is a catalog but its got pretty limited distribution. There's no reason anyone should get denied on this. If they don't want to honor it, make them call the 800 number, or call it yourself (cell phone makes this easy) and have them inform the store that the price should be honored.

Got mine at the Springfield, OR Target. They only had blue left, but the clerk just looked at my printed screen grab and was fine with that. Then I took the receipt over to Circuit City and got them to price match on a platinum unit (I returned the blue once I was done at Circuit City). I kinda wish I had gone over to EB and bought it there so that I could have gotten the free carrying case too, but I thought that might be pushing my luck.

Just got denied at the Mira Mesa Target in San Diego. Brang a copy of the ad and the Joystiq article and was told to call Guest Relations. Turns out they were closed and I was unable to get a DS. The employees were very nice and such, but wouldn't change the price unless they had an actual confirmation with Guest Relations.

On my way to the exit, one of the managers spotted me and asked me if he could see the article. I told him that the Guest Relations phone lines were closed and apologized for the hold up (I stood there blankly for about 5 minutes telling them about the article/screenshot and waited for someone to help the people at Electronics). He asked if he could have a copy of the article/screenshot and he would give a call to Guest Relations ASAP tomorrow morning at 8am to ask about the price. I left him my name and number and he said he would call me and honor the price once he had confirmation from Guest Relations.

I just got it to work at the Burlington, Washington target. The stupid thing is that the 'manager' on hand, though she was really nice, was typically clueless, she had to call her mom to see if it was actually in the Catalog and I wasn't just bsing the article and the printout.

Anyone else trying to get it there has to bring in the actual catalog she told me as I was leaving however.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I know Walmart, BB, and CC price matches, anyplace else that I should try tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

Sears. Not only did they pricematch for me BUT they have some sort of match +10% policy :D

[quote name='mkg12']here is a clip with the 800 number taken from Joystiq

"Here is the original letter:

Thanks for your e-mail about The Nintenedo Dual Screen in the 2005 Holiday Catalog. The ad is a misprint, as the price in the system should be $129.99. However, Target is honoring the ad price of $99.99 if you are able to bring in a copy of the catalog. If you have any trouble at the store, have them call us at (800) 440-0680 and we will be able to assist you then. Keep in mind the catalog price expires on December 12th, 2005.

We always welcome your questions, so if we can assist you in the future, please contact our Target Guest Relations team at (800) 440-0680. You can also speak with a team member at the Guest Services Desk at your local Target store, or visit us on Target.com. Either way, we’re here to help!

Thanks for shopping with us. I hope we’ll see you again soon at Target. "[/QUOTE]

I have the catalog right here in front of me and it says the prices in the catalog are good through Dec. 5th, 2005, not Dec. 12th.

This is a big "meh" deal for me though. I already got a second DS for the kids to play AC with by buying the Nintendogs bundle at EB using trade credit (which is about double what I spent in cash) and selling the Nintendogs Best Friends game on ebay for $80+. Thus the cost of bundle is about $75 - and after selling the Nintendogs game I came out with free a DS and a few extra $$. That is a MUCH better deal :D. This was a week or two ago - not sure what the Nintendogs Best Friends game sells for now, but if people are willing to shell out that kind of cash for it, who am I to deny them :D.

[quote name='KnightofHearts']Can anyone get me a scan of the picture so I can print it out, need to PM at Walmart.[/QUOTE]

check one of the first couple pages

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I know Walmart, BB, and CC price matches, anyplace else that I should try tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

Check and see if your Gamestop pricematches. Of all the major chain retailers, Gamestop will give you the least crap when you try to exchange the system in the event of a dead pixel.

My suggestion would be to PM at CC tho, since they now offer a free game worth 19.99 that you could pawn off or trade in at EB and make even more profit to sweeten the deal.

The free travel kit I got from Gamestop was a limited time thing which is now over, so really no more incentive to get it there than from anywhere else. Still, its nice to get free stuff! :D

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Check and see if your Gamestop pricematches. Of all the major chain retailers, Gamestop will give you the least crap when you try to exchange the system in the event of a dead pixel.

My suggestion would be to PM at CC tho, since they now offer a free game worth 19.99 that you could pawn off or trade in at EB and make even more profit to sweeten the deal.

The free travel kit I got from Gamestop was a limited time thing which is now over, so really no more incentive to get it there than from anywhere else. Still, its nice to get free stuff! :D[/QUOTE]

My target is out, so we shall see, I guess I will hit up a couple stores after work today

Target in San Diego (Mira Mesa) had a bunch of the platinum/silver ones, but the electric blue ones were completely cleared out, looks like SD CAGs are cleaning them up.

Any word on specifically who gets the actual catalogs? Is it target card holders? If so, then my mom should be getting one. For people who have gotten it already, when did you get it?

Any MD CAGs get in on this deal yet?

I guess I'd be impressed by these deals if hadn't already bought a used DS a coiple weeks ago for the same price... but whatever.

P.S.- Has anybody checked out the new sonic game [for DS] yet? Is it any good :?:

:cool:

[quote name='MadEdSkillz']I guess I'd be impressed by these deals if hadn't already bought a used DS a coiple weeks ago for the same price... but whatever.

P.S.- Has anybody checked out the new sonic game [for DS] yet? Is it any good :?:

:cool:[/QUOTE]

I havent personally but reviews seem to suggest its really good and rather old school in terms of gameplay...

Still, unless you hate RPGS, I think the next game to get is Mario and Luigi...first party games are usually so teh pwnz0rs.

[quote name='PapiChullo']Any word on specifically who gets the actual catalogs? Is it target card holders? If so, then my mom should be getting one. For people who have gotten it already, when did you get it?

Any MD CAGs get in on this deal yet?[/QUOTE]

We are not Target card holders and we got it Friday I think... Have NO idea why we got it - as far as we're aware we've never signed up for anything at Target. Sure, we spend alot of money there, but just using normal credit cards. Maybe they check spending habits of people who use cards (since they get a name that way) and then find their addresses? Who knows... Actually, I'd like to know...

I was able to get the deal at the Target in Germantown, MD. It was definitely necessary to have both the printout of the catalog AND the joystiq article, as the cashier (directly in the electronics dept) looked closely at both, but he was ok with it after scanning it for a minute and said he didn't need to call. The bad news for anyone else: as of Sunday afternoon 11/27 is was their last DS. Didn't ask when they might get more. But I think I was the first person to do this there, as none of the three other clerks standing around had heard of this.

Awesome deal ... thanks everyone.

[quote name='AzN_BaLLeR']Anyone try any of the SoCal Targets?[/QUOTE]

The Eagle Rock Target in Los Angeles would not honor it.....

When I went down to Orange County yesterday to hang out with a friend, I stopped by the Costa Mesa Target and they honored the price.... so now I have my very own DS.

David

Well I tried it and they said no. I showed it to electronics and three people at Geust services and they are all idiots who would not call the number. They said it was because that was the online price even though it said in stores only, but the man in the toy department read it and said that they would accept it?! I need that catalog, if I can find it I can make them price match it or at least go to walmart and do it there.

[quote name='IngersollTCF']Sears. Not only did they pricematch for me BUT they have some sort of match +10% policy :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much!
Went to the Sears here in Bangor, ME. Whole thing took about two minutes, got the extra 10percent over Target's price as well. The manager didn't even look at the ad to approve it , I guess the employee's word was good enough..... hejust swiped his card and the transaction was complete.

This was much more easier than the hassle and ordeal I went through at target. :applause:

[quote name='fullhavok']I really need a catalog. how can i get one?? any ideas?? HELP!! plz[/QUOTE]

If you didn't get one, you ain't getting one.

I might have to try to get this for $100. I was thinking about buying a DS for my wife (she'd love Trauma Center). I still have that catalogue so this should be no problem.

I just scored one from the Menlo Park Target in Edison, NJ, but it was very, vey difficult. If I had read the previous accounts from people here having problems, I probably wouldn't have stuck with it, but I think it was that persistance and belief the deal was absolute that got me it.

The first two employees tried to tell me it was for a different game bundle and that it was out of stock. The first manager I talked to said she was new so I was passed onto another, who didn't seem to know what to make of the situation, so they called in the person in charge of the pricing for the store. It took a lot of convincing for him to even call the Customer Service number, but when he did he said the representative there hadn't even heard of the mixup. I didn't have a copy of the Joystiq article on me, only the catalog screenshot, but I had mentioned it and was told I could use that to further my case. -- 45 minutes later I was back in the store with the article, and the guy in charge of pricing very very dejectedly rang me up (for only one DS, though; I had wanted two).

So all of this is probably not worth the trouble. The store doesn't know anything about the deal, and there was no letter from corporate telling stores to honor it. With the amount of ball-breaking necessary, I personally don't think it's worth the karma. :)

bread's done
Back