100MS Ping ACCEPTABLE Says IW, No Console For PC In Modern Warfare 2

Jodou

Infamous
Feedback
12 (100%)
It just keeps getting better and better:
[quote name='Incompetent Ward']What kinds of pings did you get during your IWNet testing and what do you say is an acceptable ping?
Mackey-IW: I've been playing mainly with around 100ms ping and it was great.[/quote]
[quote name='Infinitely Worthless']Is there a console in the PC version of the game, so we can change our field of view from the xbox's default 65 FOV to 80 also can we tweaks the weapon damage for each gun, removes perks, graphical debris, breathing sway, also thru console like we where able to before or is this all gone?
Vince-IW: We would like you to play the game the way we designed and balanced it.[/quote]

Yeah, I read this and laughed. 100ms ping? Great? Are you serious? Cut that number in half and you have a decent ping. A great ping is somewhere between 15-30. As for no console, that'd be absolutely ridiculous. They do realize that those tweaks, along with configs, enable a bunch of players to run at 125, 250, and 333 FPS right? Or do they not even know the advantage of running at those frames on their own engine?

[quote name='xycury']Is MW2 going to fail?

Seems like there really isn't a positive with all this mess.[/QUOTE]
The PC version has been set for failure since they first announced no CE versions. It's all been downhill ever since with dropped support, horrible PR (nice video the other day IW, very classy), and little bombshells like this left & right. Thank god for pirates, because this game will be reverse engineered to the point of playability again by them.

Well that no console thing sucks ... I could take the 9 v 9 and other stuff but now it's just getting stupid.

100 ping isn't bad ... it's not spectacular but it isn't bad at least

[quote name='Jodou']The PC version has been set for failure since they first announced no CE versions. It's all been downhill ever since with dropped support, horrible PR (nice video the other day IW, very classy), and little bombshells like this left & right. Thank god for pirates, because this game will be reverse engineered to the point of playability again by them.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I think you've got it. Starting from the $60 price, this game is being set up to fail on the pc. I guess Activision/IW don't want to cater to the pc market anymore and are looking for an excuse to get out. That's the only explantion I can think of.

[quote name='mogamer']Sadly, I think you've got it. Starting from the $60 price, this game is being set up to fail on the pc. I guess Activision/IW don't want to cater to the pc market anymore and are looking for an excuse to get out. That's the only explantion I can think of.[/QUOTE]

When a good chunk of the vocal community is saying "LULZ MW2 PIRATE THIS GAME" I wouldn't want to cater to the PC market either.

[quote name='kilm']When a good chunk of the vocal community is saying "LULZ MW2 PIRATE THIS GAME" I wouldn't want to cater to the PC market either.[/QUOTE]

And why are they like that? It's because of shit like 100ms ping, $60 price tag, no dedicated servers, no console, capped matches, etc... Had Infinity Ward just made the new game with all the feature that every previous COD has had on PC, there wouldn't be all the people saying they'd pirate the game.

Oh, and I'd also like to point out the fact that the 360 version of the game has been online for about two weeks now. No PC version in sight. So, don't act like there aren't also a ton of people who play pirated versions on the console as well.

[quote name='kilm']When a good chunk of the vocal community is saying "LULZ MW2 PIRATE THIS GAME" I wouldn't want to cater to the PC market either.[/QUOTE]

That's a reaction... not the cause of it....

I really don't think they are doing that to piss off any previous pirates...why even bother making it then.

[quote name='SEH']And why are they like that? It's because of shit like 100ms ping, $60 price tag, no dedicated servers, no console, capped matches, etc... Had Infinity Ward just made the new game with all the feature that every previous COD has had on PC, there wouldn't be all the people saying they'd pirate the game.

Oh, and I'd also like to point out the fact that the 360 version of the game has been online for about two weeks now. No PC version in sight. So, don't act like there aren't also a ton of people who play pirated versions on the console as well.[/QUOTE]

Since we're in the PC forum, I don't know why you'd want to say anything about the 360 version... If you wanted to talk about the 360 version or piracy on the 360 version

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219110

nbfl-tower.jpg

65 degree FOV? Seriously? Sweet Jesus that's small. The smallest I've heard of recently was TF2s default 75 and on wide screen monitor you usually want over 100.

I also like:
Ignoring IW.net, is the PC version a direct port of the console version?
Mackey-IW: No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.
Great news. We don't have to use a controller, chat through voice communication only and run it at 640x480.

EDIT:
Found this image comparing MW1 to MW2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, I'd say 100ms ping is acceptable, thats usually the cutoff point for me in most games. I wouldn't say its great though. Good ping for me is 60ms. Only time I've ever seen faster than that is LAN at 1-5ms.

[quote name='SEH']And why are they like that? It's because of shit like 100ms ping, $60 price tag, no dedicated servers, no console, capped matches, etc... Had Infinity Ward just made the new game with all the feature that every previous COD has had on PC, there wouldn't be all the people saying they'd pirate the game.[/QUOTE]

Don't buy that logic. If the game didn't have all those problems , less people pirating it would be believable , but the fact is a hell of a lot of people are going to pirate the game , problems or not.

Besides if the PC version of MW2 is going to be that bad why the hell would anyone want to pirate it , other than to flip Activions/IW the bird , or to try and reverse engineer the game to make it better.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Don't buy that logic. If the game didn't have all those problems , less people pirating it would be believable , but the fact is a hell of a lot of people are going to pirate the game , problems or not.

Besides if the PC version of MW2 is going to be that bad why the hell would anyone want to pirate it , other than to flip Activions/IW the bird , or to try and reverse engineer the game to make it better.[/QUOTE]

I think they're saying since multiplayer will be bad, there's no reason to buy it. So they pirate it just for the single player

[quote name='fmarxnge']I think they're saying since multiplayer will be bad, there's no reason to buy it. So they pirate it just for the single player[/QUOTE]
Yeah for me it's between this or just ignoring it. StarKnightX I'm definitely one of those people who would have bought it if it had the same features of MW1 (which I did purchase).

[quote name='SEH']The game DOES have a console. Someone posted a scan of the PC booklet, and it shows that the "~" key is for console.

http://www.shrani.si/f/1f/10S/JL12MpL/cod6.jpg[/QUOTE]
It's entirely possible that the manual was not corrected and this was a last minute change. Even if you can still bring up the console, they're pretty clear that it will not be supported with commands players are used to. Still, I know hackers will go to work and unlock everything IW is being a baby about. I suspect private dedicated servers will be quite the rage.

[quote name='Jodou']It's entirely possible that the manual was not corrected and this was a last minute change. Even if you can still bring up the console, they're pretty clear that it will not be supported with commands players are used to. Still, I know hackers will go to work and unlock everything IW is being a baby about. I suspect private dedicated servers will be quite the rage.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I'm sure console will be in, but I have a feeling we wont be able to do stuff like /cg_fov, /cg_drawdecals, or /com_maxfps, well, at least in the console. If that's the case, I'll just go into my config and edit it there.

[quote name='fmarxnge']I think they're saying since multiplayer will be bad, there's no reason to buy it. So they pirate it just for the single player[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DrFoo']Yeah for me it's between this or just ignoring it. StarKnightX I'm definitely one of those people who would have bought it if it had the same features of MW1 (which I did purchase).[/QUOTE]

Well I wouldn't have interpreted it that way , but I guess that makes some sense.

I'm not too worried about 100ms ping as I frequently played with that in CoD4 and dominated, but the laziness of IW blows

got some more good news. It requires Steam meaning it ties to an account [you bought a cd key for a virtual item, yay!] so make a new one if you ever want to sell the game and hope ebay doesnt remove your auction.

Singleplayer campaign is also ~5 hours long for an average play through. Clearly they were too bussy butchering the PC versions multiplayer to be bothered to make the game a decent length for everyones, not $50, but $60.

This is just fail.

I think i'll just flip my copy before i register it and pocket the profit then wait until a few thousand copies fall off the back of a truck and get stuck on the bay for $18 for an emailed key which, thanks to actidouchbags, i'll register to my steam account and DL the entire game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: What happens when you are at a LAN event, did they kill this too? Seems like the P2P matching could stop you from playing against a person sitting right next to you. Was trying to find a definite answer before I open my copy and can't. Thoughts or anyone that installed it care to shed light?

bread's done
Back