11.6 million defective 360's

[quote name='whoknows']And it did with 11.6 million consoles.

That's no small number[/QUOTE]

:roll: Every console hasn't broken.

You could say that it's just a matter of time but hey there's alot of people (me included - knock on wood) that have had no issues.

[quote name='whoknows']And it did with 11.6 million consoles.

That's no small number[/quote]No, could. My system isn't broken and is one of the total 11.6 million out there.

I can't imagine even microsoft would foot the bill for a total replacement of every system out there, but yikes, that's nuts.

Theres no way they've sold anywhere near 12 million units.
They shouldnt be significantly higher than 10, with lots on shelves.

Neogaf's estimation is 9.6, 8.6, 3.7

spoilered for huge chart:
worldwidenextgensalesiv6.jpg

http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143621&page=11

this link was posted earlier in the 3 year warranty thread. Either way MS has a choice to make in the near future:

Global Recall or Class Action Lawsuit.

I think by this time it's not whether your console works or not, but rather it's principle. MS manufactured the consoles on cheap components and every single one is defective. I think that warrants enough to make a recall.

and it's already happening in Australia

http://kotaku.com/gaming/two-weeks/eb-games-australia-issues-total-360-recall-278562.php

My day one launch system is still ticking... We should start a thread/pool with all the day one owners who have never replaced their's to see who goes the longest. Two of my friends that I regularly play with both had theirs go the same night last week... fucking crappy hardware. I kinda with their games would suck so I could want a PS3, but their lineup is so damn good that I really want my system to keep going strong.

Sigh. This is nothing more than a troll posting (no offense meant). The title of the article says ALL 360's are defective, but what it should say is that they suffer from a POTENTIAL defect. So there's an issue with thermal management. I don't think that really comes as a surprise to most people given the amount of 360's reported dead since launch.

I also like how the article says 11.6 million boxes are "effected", haha, nice journalism there.

[quote name='daroga']No, could. My system isn't broken and is one of the total 11.6 million out there.

I can't imagine even microsoft would foot the bill for a total replacement of every system out there, but yikes, that's nuts.[/QUOTE]
You're right, I misread the OP :p

[quote name='musicnoteless']http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143621&page=11

this link was posted earlier in the 3 year warranty thread. Either way MS has a choice to make in the near future:

Global Recall or Class Action Lawsuit.

I think by this time it's not whether your console works or not, but rather it's principle. MS manufactured the consoles on cheap components and every single one is defective. I think that warrants enough to make a recall.

and it's already happening in Australia

http://kotaku.com/gaming/two-weeks/eb-games-australia-issues-total-360-recall-278562.php[/quote]

The best thing they can do is fix the problem (65nm?), and from that point on off to replace (for free) any console with a red ring error made prior to the fixed date.

I just hope I don't have to send mine in until next year. It'd suck if it broke in September or October.

[quote name='jwg']I just hope I don't have to send mine in until next year. It'd suck if it broke in September or October.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Too much essential gaming for it to die on me now!

[quote name='keithp']Sigh. This is nothing more than a troll posting (no offense meant). The title of the article says ALL 360's are defective, but what it should say is that they suffer from a POTENTIAL defect.[/quote]

Well, technically they are all defective because they all suffer from the same problem... but some of them still work. This sucks but at least they are slowly starting to own up to it. I just hope that after I send my second console in for replacement/repairs that they know what they are doing.

I don't know why, but even though I got my 360 only a couple months after launch I'm really not worried about it breaking any time soon, despite all the negative reporting. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Show me an official press release from Microsoft, not some 3rd hand information from a resource that hardly shows up on radar.

~HotShotX

My Launch Day 360 works great.

Sony fans, get off the soapbox. Your too soon to forget how many defective PS2s there were and all the lawsuits associated with that. You forget the 'Disc Read Error' and 'Is that a Blue or Silver disc? My PS2 won't play a certain color disc'.

I think they SHOULD do a recall, and not some bullshit send it in crap, but soem ON SPOT, get a new 65 nm chip replacement. Wont happen though, and ill ahve to wait till mine breaks to get a 65 nm one shipped to me I guess.

[quote name='help1']I think they SHOULD do a recall, and not some bullshit send it in crap, but soem ON SPOT, get a new 65 nm chip replacement. Wont happen though, and ill ahve to wait till mine breaks to get a 65 nm one shipped to me I guess.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and so should have Sony in that case.

[quote name='HotShotX']Show me an official press release from Microsoft, not some 3rd hand information from a resource that hardly shows up on radar.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

If you read the article it gives a link to the microsoft conference call that confirms this.

Since I just got mine a few weeks ago, I'm ok with keeping it around and not having to deal with the hassle of a potential recall in the future. In exchange, I'd like Microsoft to issue a policy change on the way they handle XBLA games, where if you have to get a botched system repaired / replaced that they move the games you purchased on the broken system to the new one, free of charge, or at the very least allow you to download them again, such that they are playable offline and online. The current policy locks XBLA games to the system, not just the hard drive, and is the main reason why I'm avoiding any XBLA purchases.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']The two front USB ports in my 360 fried. I'm using the one in the back to power my HD DVD player.

I guess I should send it in.[/quote]

This is the beginning of the end. It happened to me before it died and I found that unplugging the power supply for 30 seconds got them working again... until the red rings of death.

All 360s at this point are destined to die. That's just how it is. Anyone who says otherwise is just clinging on to something that just isn't there. It comes from cheap hardware used to make the box. That and design flaws. There have been many temporary fixes to this, but they all still end up with 3RL. Maybe next time they should take it slow and actually test the console before putting it out.

Ok, you know what, just for the sake of it, lets see how many launch systems the whole thing. That's from the first day the 360 launched to the time of the next console they launch.

Sounds about right. Out of the 10 or so people I know that have 360s about half of them have broken for no apparent reason.

[quote name='GizmoGC']My Launch Day 360 works great.

Sony fans, get off the soapbox. Your too soon to forget how many defective PS2s there were and all the lawsuits associated with that. You forget the 'Disc Read Error' and 'Is that a Blue or Silver disc? My PS2 won't play a certain color disc'.[/QUOTE]

To paraphrase you...

my launch PS2 never had any problems... :)

In fact, I still use it. I would be willing to bet that the difference between "disc read errors" on blue disks and total system failure because of defective parts/design are not equivalent in terms of severity. *shrug*

...but that's just me. Does that make me a Sony fan now? :D

[quote name='Apossum']woah. wow.

they should've just kept their mouths shut.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I disagree. It sucks, but it's nothing we didn't already know. MS just pretending that it was isolated or whatever made me dislike them more than admitting it.

Recall the fucking product, Microsoft.

This "three-year warrantee" bullshit is not the fucking right thing to do. Someone needs to file a lawsuit. You give us a fucking recall and fix your fucking product, MS.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Nah, I disagree. It sucks, but it's nothing we didn't already know. MS just pretending that it was isolated or whatever made me dislike them more than admitting it.[/QUOTE]

You knew there was a fundamental design flaw that could potentially kill every 360? :)

I thought it was bad before, but didn't mind as much when they gave out the 3 year warranty. But to hear that every system they have sold all year could have this problem, it's pretty fucking bad and I think this makes them the dirtiest company this time around, easily. No way a corporation like MS would completely miss that until now.

but you know what? Now everyone will want to buy the fixed version. nice one MS...completely underhanded, but it works. probably all part of the plan to crowbar the game industry. /conspiracy

[quote name='daroga']I can't imagine even microsoft would foot the bill for a total replacement of every system out there, but yikes, that's nuts.[/quote]

They already have. Sundance from MLGPRO dropped this knowledge on me at E3.

Microsoft has taken a billion dollar charge to extend warranties (read: fix 360s)
Let's just guess that it costs Microsoft $100 to fix each broken 360. I think that is a fair estimate since it would include shipping (both ways), parts, and labor.

Keeping the math simple:
10 Million Xbox 360s x $100 Repair = 1 Billion Dollars

Microsoft must anticipating that every 360 has a red-ring inducing defect.

[quote name='CheapyD']They already have. Sundance from MLGPRO dropped this knowledge on me at E3.

Microsoft has taken a billion dollar charge to extend warranties (read: fix 360s)
Let's just guess that it costs Microsoft $100 to fix each broken 360. I think that is a fair estimate since it would include shipping (both ways), parts, and labor.

Keeping the math simple:

Microsoft must anticipating that every 360 has a red-ring inducing defect.[/QUOTE]
So those whose consoles happen to magically last the extra couple months after-warranty are SOL?

That's bullshit.

Recall your fucking product, MS.

[quote name='PyroGamer']So those whose consoles happen to magically last the extra couple months after-warranty are SOL?

That's bullshit.

Recall your fucking product, MS.[/QUOTE]

Let's see recall every console which would cost them $300+ each on the chance they could break or just write off the repair cost for every console sold.

My first system died after 10 months. I had just started it up and it made it around 40 seconds into Splinter Cell: DA demo. Froze and red ringed.

I really want a 360, but will not buy one until they build them more reliable. Plus I don't have a HDTV so it is kinda pointless to buy one, but There are so many games I want. I like my Wii but love sports games and want to play with a traditional controller.

[quote name='jbuck138']I really want a 360, but will not buy one until they build them more reliable. Plus I don't have a HDTV so it is kinda pointless to buy one, but There are so many games I want. I like my Wii but love sports games and want to play with a traditional controller.[/quote]

Weird thing is, they actually play on SDTVs. Crazy, I know. Mine has for about a year now.

[quote name='Sporadic']:roll: Every console hasn't broken.

You could say that it's just a matter of time but hey there's alot of people (me included - knock on wood) that have had no issues.[/quote]

That is what I thought too when mine died. I have had emost consoles since the Odysey (sp?) and it is the only one that crapped out.

I laugh when fanboys say "could, doesn't mean it will." If Microsoft gave a 3 year warranty and is anticipating 1 billion in losses, I can't help but think they just capped the life on each system at 3 years tops.

[quote name='Kendal']Weird thing is, they actually play on SDTVs. Crazy, I know. Mine has for about a year now.[/QUOTE]My PS3 worked fine on a standard TV too. We must be the lucky ones.

[quote name='TimPV3']I laugh when fanboys say "could, doesn't mean it will." If Microsoft gave a 3 year warranty and is anticipating 1 billion in losses, I can't help but think they just capped the life on each system at 3 years tops.

[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about, MS is your friend. The Live attach rates are great. they didn't just put out a dysfunctional console for the sake of jumping on to the market early--they were taking a bullet....for quality....and honor. They love you. We shall now all rise for the 360 pledge of allegiance...

[quote name='Kendal']Weird thing is, they actually play on SDTVs. Crazy, I know. Mine has for about a year now.[/QUOTE]

No problems here either , and I'm using day one launch hardware .

I think [know] we are not running our 360's to their potential as far as Megapixel output .

Running it at 480i is definitely easier on the hardware .

I'll bet the failure rate is way higher on 360's that are ran at Hi-Def 1080i or 720p [Component or VGA] .

And P.S. my launch PS2 quit playing CD [blue disc] games too .

[quote name='CheapyD']They already have. Sundance from MLGPRO dropped this knowledge on me at E3.

Keeping the math simple:

Microsoft must anticipating that every 360 has a red-ring inducing defect.[/quote]True enough, but (at least in my mind) there's a pretty big difference, finacially, between recalling them and just offering warranty service. There's probably not, other than the immediacy of the cost.

I do wonder, if in a year, even if you don't have any problems with your system, would they even check if you tried to get warranty work done on it. I would 1/2 think about faking it to get a stable system down the road should I not have any issues with mine (typing this sentene ensures mine will die tomorrow).

[quote name='Apossum']What are you talking about, MS is your friend. The Live attach rates are great. they didn't just put out a dysfunctional console for the sake of jumping on to the market early--they were taking a bullet....for quality....and honor. They love you. We shall now all rise for the 360 pledge of allegiance...[/quote]Now come on, this isn't the Nintendo or Sony boards here. ;)

[quote name='TimPV3']I laugh when fanboys say "could, doesn't mean it will." If Microsoft gave a 3 year warranty and is anticipating 1 billion in losses, I can't help but think they just capped the life on each system at 3 years tops..[/QUOTE]

Sorry let me fix that.

fuck M$$$$$ THEY ALWAYS TRYING TO TAKE MY MONIES WITH THERE SHI***Y HALFBALKED CONSULE I HAD 51 OF THEM BRAKE ON ME CUZ THEY ARE POOPOO BUY A REL SYISTEM LIEK PS3/WII!!!!!!!!

In response to Cheapy saying that it probably cost about 100.00 to fix each 360: Newsweek stated that same amount in their article about this.

Replace them for me fast and free and I've got no beef with you. My first system was fixed free within two weeks, my second one hasn't had problems yet.

Keeping the math simple:

Microsoft must anticipating that every 360 has a red-ring inducing defect.[/QUOTE]

That's all premised on the idea that repairing/replacing each and every 360 will cost $100. That is, frankly, rather silly - particularly because we're not sure what the inherent flaw of the system is. It could involve replacing the motherboard, it could involve adding heatsinks; many of us seem to think that the 65nm chip will be some sort of wonderful panacea for this console's woes (even though that's complete speculation).

Who knows if it would cost them $1 or $400 per system to fix the flaw? That's what interests me.

EDIT: [quote name='seanr1221']In response to Cheapy saying that it probably cost about 100.00 to fix each 360: Newsweek stated that same amount in their article about this.[/QUOTE]

:oops: well, then.

Now, of course, those poor folks who have 360 problems outside their warranty (fried USB ports, discs scratched to hell) are out of luck - MS still won't acknowledge any problems with the DVD drive.

I'm no advocate of cheating the system, but frankly, if my 360 (#2, FWIW) dies on me, I don't care if it's on fire or shitting blood. I'm calling MS and telling them I've got RROD. They're going to have to replace it. I figure that, if I cheat them a little to fix the system they sold me (by circumventing any payment I would have to make on the repairs) is merely my move in this game of chess they started when they knowingly shipped so many defective systems. Quid pro quo, as far as I'm concerned. It'll be like the end of the movie "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels," but with less Michael Caine.

Hell, as soon as there is ample evidence that the 360's rolling off the factory lines have a new internal design and are far more reliable, I might take my healthy ol' 360 and call MS, telling them it's got the Red Rings. If I have a system that has such a high probability of dying on me, and a suitable alternative exists, you bet your ass I'm going to get the more reliable one, considering that it is free, even if a little chicanery is needed on my part. As many a wise toddler has said, "they started it!"

[quote name='Apossum']You knew there was a fundamental design flaw that could potentially kill every 360? :) [/QUOTE]
I just disagree that they should have kept their mouth shut.

I think it's pretty obvious that there was something wrong. I don't think they need to lock me up for claiming that we knew something was off with it.

For what it's worth, when my launch PS2 crapped out four months into things, Sony pretty much laughed at me when I tried to get them to fix it. I, too, enjoyed the lovely racist system that would only play certain colored discs.

bread's done
Back