$125 for opening a new chase banking account

petersa1d

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
So Chase is having this promotion till 9/18/10 if you open a bank account with them, you will receive 125 dollars. You have to deposit at least 100 dollars into the bank account. If you want to open an account online, the coupon code is 3703923263487870. Call your local Chase bank for more info, I just got this promotion in the mail, so yeah.

Hmm nice, maybe it's time to finally open up a bank account. I am 20 years old after all hahaha. How does this work, they deposit it immediately or do you have to wait a certain amount of time? This will come in handy in buying my textbooks. Thanks for the info!

The last time I looked into this deal it said you had to enroll in direct deposit. I already have direct deposit at credit union, so the 125 dollar benefit didnt really seem beneficial.

seems good if you don't have a bank account yet or at least not with Chase. unfortunately I already have a Chase account and, from what I've seen with family, setting up and managing multiple separate accounts within the same Bank is a real pain.

I had to set up a seperate checking account with Bank Of America versus my normal bank due to Best Buy's checks(from game trade program) being drawn on BOA but the bank wanting to charge me $6 each(x 8 checks instead of ONE big check from BB:roll:)just to cash them.:bomb:

Of course, I withdrew every last cent from the account the day after making the account to save myself the nearly $50 in fees.

Since then I deposited a money order that someone from CAG sent me that was of the wrong type versus the one I usually prefer and withdrew that money the day after as well.;)

There was no benefit from making the new account with BOA, but I just didn't wanna take the chance that DealTree's checks would bounce higher than the Empire State Building and that money would be taken from my personal account. The same goes for the money order, you never know, since even the places that sell the damned things won't cash them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I had to set up a seperate checking account with Bank Of America versus my normal bank due to Best Buy's checks(from game trade program) being drawn on BOA but the bank wanting to charge me $6 each(x 8 checks instead of ONE big check from BB:roll:)just to cash them.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

What the hell kind of account did you have? I have/had bank accounts with 4 different banks/credit unions and never once was I charged a fee to cash a check. That's the main reason to have a bank account over going to a currency exchange / check cashing place.

[quote name='hostyl1']What the hell kind of account did you have? I have/had bank accounts with 4 different banks/credit unions and never once was I charged a fee to cash a check. That's the main reason to have a bank account over going to a currency exchange / check cashing place.[/QUOTE]

Many banks have begun charging non-customers a fee to cash one of their own checks, or refuse to cash checks for non-customers all together. It's a BS practice as the bank is able to verify signature and funds, but it's a BS practice they choose.

My bank's policy is that you have to have the funds available to back the check you are cashing, in case it bounces. Any check written off of my bank can be cash at my bank for no fee and regardless of whether you are a customer or non-customer.

BOA's motivation probably entails the size of the bank, number of businesses and people who use it, and the inability to know where those checks will be cashed. Banks need to use data to set up money shipment schedules and amounts. Too many non-customers cashing checks one week and they will not have the funds available for their customers. The cost of shipment is high, so having to increase weekly shipments for non-customers results in lost money for banks. It's all about the dollars.

On the other hand, my bank is much smaller ($500 million in assets), so we are able to better meet the non-customer's needs as well as our customers.

PS - My Chase credit card qualifies me to receive 8-12 of these promotional flyers every month apparently. Seriously though, if you miss this one, they run this promotion every other week. Wouldn't be bad if they didn't require direct deposit, but they do. You usually have to keep the DD going for like 6 months or something and you get the money at the end of that period. There are no convenient Chase Banks around me, so I never even considered it. It would require 6 months of inconvenience, not worth the $125.

KeyBank runs a lot of promotions including digital cameras and iPods and such also. If you hit it right when you finish the promo period of one, you can switch to the other, and then switch back to your bank of choice since both of those banks suck anyway.

[quote name='hostyl1']What the hell kind of account did you have? I have/had bank accounts with 4 different banks/credit unions and never once was I charged a fee to cash a check. That's the main reason to have a bank account over going to a currency exchange / check cashing place.[/QUOTE]
It's one that was on clearance at Sears;)

Please, for the love of God, don't do this. I know you're just trying to help OP, but Chase is a terrible bank. In fact, many places consider it the worst bank in America. I wouldn't even walk into a Chase bank unless my wallet was in a fireproof safe across town. You'll get $125 now, but you'll get ass raped later. If you don't believe me, Google it. Any logical person will tell you the same.

bread's done
Back