$16M Awarded In Water Contest Death

pacifickarma

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
Kind of video game related. Definitely stupid related.

$16M Awarded In Water Contest Death
Local Station Found Negligent

POSTED: 11:26 am PDT October 29, 2009
UPDATED: 6:46 pm PDT October 29, 2009
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A jury has awarded more than $16 million in damages after finding that a local radio station was negligent in the case of a woman who died after drinking a large amount of water during a contest.

However, the station's parent company, Entercom Communications Corp. of Boston, was found not to be negligent in Jennifer Strange's death.

Strange was not negligent in her own death, the jury also determined.

The jury, which delivered the split verdict after nine days of deliberation, awarded a total of $16,577,118.

The family's attorney said Entercom will not appeal and that it will pay the full amount.

"Obviously, our hearts go out to the Strange family," Entercom's attorney, Colin Munro, said afterward.

Widower Billy Strange sued local radio station 107.9 The End and Entercom Communications Corp. in connection with the station's 2007 "Hold your wee for a Wii" contest.

His wife died of apparent water intoxication after drinking more than a dozen bottles of water over a three-hour period in an attempt to win a video game system.

"I'm very thankful and appreciative that the jurors took their time and that they held the appropriate people accountable," he said after hearing the verdict Thursday.

In a remarkable show of emotion, each juror hugged Jennifer Strange's husband and mother upon leaving the jury box.

"She seemed like she was a great woman," juror Lateshia Paggett said.

Billy Strange earlier testified about the devastating impact his wife's death has had on him emotionally.

Copyright 2009 by KCRA.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.kcra.com/news/21466354/detail.html

Just think - if she had been killed by some criminal, probably would never have recovered any money. But by being incredibly stupid she setup her kids for life. Is this social darwinism in reverse?

i remember this actually.

There is a bit more and most people dont realize you can drown in your own blood by drinking too much water. Its happened in other cases as well.

This was played live over the radio and people even commented about "cant you die from doing this" and the Dj's kept it going. She went home after this and didnt feel good. They let her go and she died at home like 3 hours later. She didnt have a lot of money and commented about how her kids will have such a great christmas getting the wii.

[quote name='Snake2715']There is a bit more and most people dont realize you can drown in your own blood by drinking too much water. Its happened in other cases as well.[/QUOTE]

It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out...

[quote name='Snake2715']i remember this actually.

There is a bit more and most people dont realize you can drown in your own blood by drinking too much water. Its happened in other cases as well.

This was played live over the radio and people even commented about "cant you die from doing this" and the Dj's kept it going. She went home after this and didnt feel good. They let her go and she died at home like 3 hours later. She didnt have a lot of money and commented about how her kids will have such a great christmas getting the wii.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the radio station should be in the clear, but both sides are fucking stupid. Neither should be profiting, both sides should be fined by the state IMO.

[quote name='tehweezner']Those damages seem a bit excessive.[/QUOTE]

They are. I can see some logic to awarding a amount by saying the radio station basically encouraged her to kill herself, but the number has to have some sort of logic to it. For instance, how much money could she be expected to make in her lifetime? Let's just say she could have made 30K for 40 years. That's 1.2 million. There is a huge problem with this country when certain people can strike it rich through these types of settlements. Should people be fired and reasonable damages be assessed? I don't know but I can see why that might happen. These settlements for tens of millions of dollars just because a jury feels sorry for someone (and has no qualms with giving them millions of someone else's money) are not good because everyone ends up paying the price. The amount should be somewhat in keeping with the individual. She's the one that killed herself. That's not the right way to win the lottery.

I hope they put a cap on damages and tie them to some sort of logic. The amount that is awarded can be all over the place and in one instance a person can be harmed through negligence and have permanent harm and have no sort of compensation and another might end up with millions. The system is quite flawed.

[quote name='KrAzY3']They are. I can see some logic to awarding a amount by saying the radio station basically encouraged her to kill herself, but the number has to have some sort of logic to it. For instance, how much money could she be expected to make in her lifetime? Let's just say she could have made 30K for 40 years. That's 1.2 million. There is a huge problem with this country when certain people can strike it rich through these types of settlements. Should people be fired and reasonable damages be assessed? I don't know but I can see why that might happen. These settlements for tens of millions of dollars just because a jury feels sorry for someone (and has no qualms with giving them millions of someone else's money) are not good because everyone ends up paying the price. The amount should be somewhat in keeping with the individual. She's the one that killed herself. That's not the right way to win the lottery.

I hope they put a cap on damages and tie them to some sort of logic. The amount that is awarded can be all over the place and in one instance a person can be harmed through negligence and have permanent harm and have no sort of compensation and another might end up with millions. The system is quite flawed.[/QUOTE]

Ok and to replace her? How much is a quality person that will raise the kids as well as a mother would potentially?

What about the emotional damages to the children, counceling, etc.?

Then the husband taking time off work, to grieve?

I dont think its only 1.2 million that should be awarded..

How many people have done this same thing for hazings. Its not a really well known thing that you can die by drinking water. Its really not.

It's going to be a randomass number. I don't know if it should be 16 million, but she would obviously be worth more than what she may have possibly earned in her lifetime. What if she was a housewife? Should her family get nothing since she didn't earn money?

It's not like she killed herself to get a jury settlement for her family. It was kind of stupid, but honestly, I'm with Snake on this one, people wouldn't generally think that drinking water can be deadly. Everybody is encouraged to drink shitloads of water everyday and this contest was all about it. Apparently the station didn't know it could kill somebody when they started (and if snake is right about callers telling them and them ignoring it, that just makes it that much worse) and the woman probably assumed that a radio station couldn't have a contest that would kill you.

[quote name='Snake2715']i remember this actually.

This was played live over the radio and people even commented about "cant you die from doing this" and the Dj's kept it going. She went home after this and didnt feel good. They let her go and she died at home like 3 hours later. She didnt have a lot of money and commented about how her kids will have such a great christmas getting the wii.[/QUOTE]

I remember this as well and always wondered what became of it. She wasn't feeling good by the end of it , then you have the listeners calling in saying what they were doing was dangerous but they kept right on going. Personally I don't see the damages as excessive, maybe if no one had called in telling them to stop it could be claimed they were ignorant of the dangers but they were warned and no one felt like spending two minutes to google it to make sure if it was BS or not.

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah, but did they get the Wii!??![/QUOTE]

16 Million will buy enough Wii consoles for every room in the house, bathroom included.

I think she is at fault also on this. She had to start feeling bad with all that water at some point. She should have quit at it then however she did not and she has free will so no one forced her to do this. So her death was her own fault she never had to listen to the people that were telling her to keep going. Where the radio station is at fault is they should have checked just to make sure this couldn't kill someone. If they didn't do it before the contest then when they had people calling in telling them that it can they should have called a hospital and made sure. For not doing the research is where they are at fault. Hell they should have had medical teams there incase something happend or someone started to feel bad. On second thought the station isn't at fault for that their loyers are at fault for all of and not taking proper actions to keep a lawsuit from the station. Where the station is at fault is they should have checked with their loyers and have all the research done first.

As for the amount I think it is a little high however I'm no loyer so I don't know about what theis wrongfull death settlements go for. What pisses me of from what the article says is that "each juror hugged Jennifer Strange's husband and mother upon leaving the jury box." Now I have never been on a jury so this might be normal but I find it a little odd. I could see the station fighting this ruling if they can and if it doesn't cost them more than to just give the money based just on this. I know if I was the station manager and saw this I would be pissed and look right at the loyers for the station and say something about this.

Should have been just a Wii, maybe the new Mario game too

Bad enough with radio companies having to pay royalty fees and stuff for the music they broadcast (right?)

I think this is fucking bullshit to be quite honest... if someone holds a contest to jump off a cliff and the person who jumps from the highest part wins a wii, so I sign up and I die doing it, it's my own fault... right?

This lady knew the rules of the contest, did the contest, and died. Tough shit.

You were that desperate to win a wii... and if she had to piss so bad, lose the contest dumb ass.

Someone will probably die on Survivor at some point, and it's play at your own risk IMO.

They still make that show? If someone dies on Survivor lawsuits will start and people will try to get the show off the air. However chances are the raitings will go up.

[quote name='KrAzY3']They are. I can see some logic to awarding a amount by saying the radio station basically encouraged her to kill herself, but the number has to have some sort of logic to it. For instance, how much money could she be expected to make in her lifetime? Let's just say she could have made 30K for 40 years. That's 1.2 million. There is a huge problem with this country when certain people can strike it rich through these types of settlements. Should people be fired and reasonable damages be assessed? I don't know but I can see why that might happen. These settlements for tens of millions of dollars just because a jury feels sorry for someone (and has no qualms with giving them millions of someone else's money) are not good because everyone ends up paying the price. The amount should be somewhat in keeping with the individual. She's the one that killed herself. That's not the right way to win the lottery.

I hope they put a cap on damages and tie them to some sort of logic. The amount that is awarded can be all over the place and in one instance a person can be harmed through negligence and have permanent harm and have no sort of compensation and another might end up with millions. The system is quite flawed.[/QUOTE]

Punitive damages are meant to punish the company.

[quote name='wiki']Punitive damages are damages intended to reform or deter the defendant and others from engaging in conduct similar to that which formed the basis of the lawsuit. Although the purpose of punitive damages is not to compensate the plaintiff, the plaintiff will in fact receive all or some portion of the punitive damage award.[/QUOTE]

For example, the lady who spilled (180 degree) coffee on herself while trying to remove the lid and received third-degree burns. The woman was only seeking first $20k to cover her medical expenses (McDonalds refused), than $90k (again they refused) and a mediator suggested $225k (which they refused). When the jury awarded her judgment, they did the total revenue McDonald's made in two days selling coffee which is $2.7 million.

While it may sound like an insane number to us, it's nothing more than a drop in the bucket to these massive companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DestroVega']I think this is fucking bullshit to be quite honest... if someone holds a contest to jump off a cliff and the person who jumps from the highest part wins a wii, so I sign up and I die doing it, it's my own fault... right?

This lady knew the rules of the contest, did the contest, and died. Tough shit.

You were that desperate to win a wii... and if she had to piss so bad, lose the contest dumb ass.

Someone will probably die on Survivor at some point, and it's play at your own risk IMO.[/QUOTE]

Well, the problem is that all risks need to be stated and made clear to contestants when they sign up, and have them sign a waiver saying they understand the risks.

Apparently it didn't happen in this case. Apparently the radio station didn't know you could die from drinking too much water--hell this story when it happened was the first I learned of that.

Thus the risks weren't made clear to the contestants, hence why the station lost the lawsuit.

^that is a true point... I dunno, lawsuits in this country are just wild. I know the lady died, and it's terrible. but still. She willingly participated, and that should count for something.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well, the problem is that all risks need to be stated and made clear to contestants when they sign up, and have them sign a waiver saying they understand the risks.

Apparently it didn't happen in this case. Apparently the radio station didn't know you could die from drinking too much water--hell this story when it happened was the first I learned of that.

Thus the risks weren't made clear to the contestants, hence why the station lost the lawsuit.[/QUOTE]

Understandable, but isn't $16 million+ excessive? I won't go as far as to say that there shouldn't have been a higher amount than a "lifetime earnings" since there are plenty of X-factors that should be included, but to even break $10 million in something like this seems ridiculous IMO. You still know if you are feeling bad or not and she had no one forcing her to do this. Just because she wanted a luxury item such as a video game system for her kids does not justify her being ignorant enough to ignore feeling bad and continuing to do something like this. I still think that the radio company deserved to pay out some money for her death due to not having that warning and ignoring callers warnings, I just don't think it is a fair amount simply because people feel bad for the family.

Yeah, the amount is definitely too high, as is the norm with law suits unfortunately.

The lawsuit, and winning I don't have a problem with for the reasons I noted, and you state.

[quote name='Snake2715']Ok and to replace her? How much is a quality person that will raise the kids as well as a mother would potentially?

What about the emotional damages to the children, counceling, etc.?

Then the husband taking time off work, to grieve?

I dont think its only 1.2 million that should be awarded.. [/QUOTE]

Nanny + time off work + counseling != $14,800,000

Ever see a counseling bill? 16mill is about right to cover that plus taxi rides there and back.
smile

bread's done
Back