1996 Toys R Us Holiday Ad

DuffHomer

CAG Newbie
back when funcolands, kbtoys were still in business, look at those deals!

TxQds.jpg

EXpvI.jpg

QKc68.jpg

ls1o0.jpg

zf92o.jpg

hQGu1.jpg

fRIxk.jpg

m5Ah0.jpg

oeBWb.jpg

The last page appears to be from 1997, not 1996. If it wasn't, who would buy a normal N64 for $199 when you could get one with a gold controller for $149?

God did I love tamagotchi. I almost forgotten how expensive n64 games used to be. I remember my mom paying $65 for pokemon stadium 2 when it first came out. Wonder why games under that generation cost $60 new, then with the ps2/xbox/gc era went down to $50, and now its back to $60. I pray it doesn't make ps4/720/wii U games $70-$80 new.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Royal High Knight']God did I love tamagotchi. I almost forgotten how expensive n64 games used to be. I remember my mom paying $65 for pokemon stadium 2 when it first came out. Wonder why games went that generation cost $60 new, then witht eh ps2/xbox/gc ear went down to $50, and now its back to $60. I pray it doesn't make ps4/720/wii U games $70-$80 new.[/QUOTE]

Cartridge games could potentially have different chips in them to make them do interesting things for a particular game. Also, there were different sizes of memory for cart games, so the larger games like RPGs or a technical powerhouse, in theory, cost more to physically produce.

Only $69.99 for Nba Hangtime for SNES/Genesis! Lol. I remember when games were that much or more, and people bitch about today's pricing. When N64 first came out the local Blockbuster was selling Mario 64 for $79.99!

My copy of NBA Hangtime cost me $30 on sale at the time, and i thought that was a steal! What good memories this OP brings back :)

I almost bought that Sega Saturn bundle with the 3 games over my PS1. Man, I'm so glad I didn't... the days I spent playing RPGs on my PS1 were glorious!

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Only $69.99 for Nba Hangtime for SNES/Genesis! Lol. I remember when games were that much or more, and people bitch about today's pricing. When N64 first came out the local Blockbuster was selling Mario 64 for $79.99![/QUOTE]

I still remember when my dad bought Goldeneye 007 for N64. It came from a toysrus. This is back before they had metal detectors or locked display cases. They advertised the game on a piece of paper and had tickets with bar codes. If you wanted the game you just took a ticket and scanned it as the register and a employee goes into the inventory room where all the games are stored together.

Having grown up heavy into older generations of gaming I was never one to complain about prices.

Back when my dad paid $59.99 for goldeneye gas was probably $1.25 a gallon compared to almost $4 now. Even though game prices stayed around the same everything else saw hyperinflation.

Crazy that Sonic 3D Blast is more on the Genesis than the Saturn. Must be because the Genesis version has the better soundtrack!

Seriously, though, yeah cartridges were expensive to make, and also, poor Saturn.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Only $69.99 for Nba Hangtime for SNES/Genesis! Lol. I remember when games were that much or more, and people bitch about today's pricing. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember wanting UMK3 for SNES for christmas and my parents telling it was too damn expensive if I wanted more than one gift that year. Kinda glad they didn't because I ended up getting Super Mario RPG that year instead(and for about $20 less).

That snes bundle was the first console I owned, which was later stolen from some shitty apartments we used to live in. Games where expensive, no wonder my parents never bought games, had to borrow from friends or find them cheap at thrift stores.

That gold tamagotchi looks so amazing, makes me want to go back in time to go buy it. LOL the image they have shows it with all the poop on the screen, hilarious.

lol... I forgot about tamagotchi and virtua pets, they were everywhere! I haven't forgotten how atrocious games prices were though, $80 for Street Fighter II, people were price gouging this game like crazy! I was lucky enough to buy it cheap at a local chain called Fedco for $50.

[quote name='skiizim']lol... I forgot about tamagotchi and virtua pets, they were everywhere! I haven't forgotten how atrocious games prices were though, $80 for Street Fighter II, people were price gouging this game like crazy! I was lucky enough to buy it cheap at a local chain called Fedco for $50.[/QUOTE]

There were ALOT of SNES games that were at the $80 price point. I remember buying Megaman X3 for $80 at Toysrus. Don't regret it whatsoever :)

That brings back memories of probably the most exciting Christmas of my childhood. Too bad the Nintendo 64 I think I like more from nostalgia than I did owning it as a kid, but from the age of 6 on RPGs were my favorite genre and sorely lacking on the N64. I had actually gotten an N64 because the SNES RPG library was so incredibly strong (I'd argue better than PS1, love FFVII and VIII but VI > VII and IV > VIII)

Toys R Us was notorious for price gouging, which they still do to some extent today, they charge $21.99 for a Wii Nunchuck for example when they can be found everywhere for 19.99, but they have to squeeze the extra $2 out of it.

But they were really bad for charging more for Pokemon games, I think they charged $70 for Pokemon Colloseum when it was $50 everywhere (I picked up my copy at GS for $50) but I do remember getting Pokemon Crystal for 24.99 which was cheap at the time on a sale. I think they charged more for... I think it was Zelda 4 swords for the Gamecube also.

Man I miss the days when every game used to go on sale at launch at retail, now it rarely happens. You could pretty much get any Pokemon game for like 24.99 or 21.99 back then. At least we have online ordering though and newegg preorder discounts!

I really wish I had that gold tamagotchi, that thing has to be incredibly expensive these days. I had a red and black tamagotchi that my mom bought me at TRU when they came out, I seem to recall them having plenty of them in my area at least. I kept it in a box all that time and resold it later on for much more than what we paid. Virtual pets are extremely expensive on ebay now, with the rare US version Tamagotchi ocean going for $300-500, I probably have $200-300 of virtual pets in my house right now and I don't even realize it.

The Giga pet was really weird, you had a cat that could grow to 100lbs, that would not happen in real life!

o_O I haven't seen TRU charge more than Best Buy or Walmart. Especially nowadays, when half their stuff is on sale every week.

Also, OP, do you work for Kotaku? Saw these exact same pics on there earlier today. Or is that whete you got the pics from?

Being a N64 owner at that time was tough with a whole 8 games released by the end of 1996. I remember just having Mario 64, Waverace 64 and Cruisn' USA.

It's hard to believe it has already been 16 years since that ad. It doesn't seem that long ago N64 and PSX were the main systems, I kind of miss those days compared to this generation of gaming. 2 1/2 years after that ad, Saturn would be reduced to $29.99 with all games in stock $6 to $9.

Aww such fond gaming memories~

I didn't know the Sega Netlink cost as much as a Saturn system at one point in time. I know I paid much less but can't remember how much. I was so thrilled about being able going on the internet without having to own a computer. It had some limitations but it served me well until I got my first computer.

Wow I remember games were more expensive then but actually seeing the ad puts it in a better perspective. Thanks OP now i have to thank my mother again for buying me UMK3 and Donkey Kong 3 for the SNES over 15 years ago. I will probably never receive another gift worth that much. Growing up sucks.

I k.ow how much I paid for my Saturn Netlink. $10. And its never been used. I don't even recall ever taking it out if the box. Just wanted to have one.

Ahh Memories.

[quote name='Squarehard']I like that Game Gear product description.[/QUOTE]

"Batteries sold seperately" Thats where they get you. I couldn't tell you how many damn AA batteries that thing would eat up. I think it used 6 AAs that would last a few hours.

[quote name='D1987']"Batteries sold seperately" Thats where they get you. I couldn't tell you how many damn AA batteries that thing would eat up. I think it used 6 AAs that would last a few hours.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was 6 AA's and you probably got like 3 - 4 hours out of it tops. I used to have the Battery Pack which would lock into the back so you didn't have to use AA's, but all of us who had it could tell you made the Game Gear probably the LEAST friendly portable system, as this thing became the size of a cinder block.

78277.jpg

I have one of those battery packs and the last time I checked it still works. There was also an AC adapter for the system but if you were away from an outlet you were screwed. I think you can also use the adapters from a certain genesis model as they are the same. There were also no good rechargable batteries at the time like there are now. Thank god I didn't have one of these as a kid. At least the GBA and GBC got like 10-18 hours on 2 AA alkalines.

The things that eat up batteries the most are Furby's (no joke here, just trust me) Wii Remotes and Xbox 360 controllers. The 360 controller isn't nearly as bad as the first 2. My uncle refuses to take my suggestion of rechargable eneloops and a lacrosse charger and thus probably spends at least $200 a year on alkalines so his kids can play the Wii. He could spend $50-60 and get a premium rechargables setup that would last years and years. Based on this the Wii is a money pit for those that don't have rechargables or refuse to use them especially if you have kids that play it constantly. I just gave him 20-25 of my alkalines that I am not using since I have tons of eneloop and he and his kids went through them in a month's time.

Two console gens co-existing with each other is a beautiful thing. There's also just something about the ways these used to look. It makes all the games looks awesome. Thanks for posting this; it was fun to look through.

bread's done
Back