1UP.com Plagiarizing?

Really not too surprising. This stuff happens quite a bit with guides and FAQs. IGN actually plagiarized part of my DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball FAQ back when that game first came out. And after that happened, another user on IGN tried to pass off my FAQ as his own.

Ehh, nothing new there. A while back someone modified an art image of a Sega Saturn to fit the site's look.

Update
Holy hell what was that guy thinking? When I start playing a game I'm about to review I don't read, listen or watch anything about it. That way I have the freedom to say anything I want without having that "someone already made that joke, thought, pointed that out, etc" feeling.

If I ever did a guide I'd go about it the same way.

[quote name='shipwreck']Really not too surprising. This stuff happens quite a bit with guides and FAQs. IGN actually plagiarized part of my DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball FAQ back when that game first came out. And after that happened, another user on IGN tried to pass off my FAQ as his own.[/QUOTE]

My favorite FAQ moments would have to be...

1) When some random GameFAQs user took my ancient FF8 review off of my website many, many years ago and submitted it as his own under a different e-mail address. I don't know why they did it (or why they didn't take my reviews of FF1-7 and Tactics at the time as well) but...geez, you have to be desperate, I guess.

2) My friend wrote up an entire FAQ about how to beat The Legend of Zelda not only without ever picking up a sword but beating the game by doing so in the fastest time possible (last I saw he was down to around 51 minutes, 50 if he's lucky). GameFAQs dismissed his entire FAQ as a copy of one they already had, despite the fact that the FAQ that was used as a comparison on their site was completely and utterly different entirely. Go figure!

they already did this back when they have EGM 2. Not just EGM but other magazines had took the work of faq writer word for word. I think they cite the work of one faq writer and took his whole guide. The problem is they never ask for permission. Very unfair consider EGM is the one getting $ and the faq writers get nothing.

[quote name='shipwreck']Really not too surprising. This stuff happens quite a bit with guides and FAQs. IGN actually plagiarized part of my DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball FAQ back when that game first came out. And after that happened, another user on IGN tried to pass off my FAQ as his own.[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute, you wrote an FAQ for THAT game? Let me guess, it went something like this:

Turn game on

Watch jiggly boobies

Turn the TV off if anyone starts coming (in more ways than one).

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Wait a minute, you wrote an FAQ for THAT game? Let me guess, it went something like this:

Turn game on

Watch jiggly boobies

Turn the TV off if anyone starts coming (in more ways than one).[/QUOTE]

da da chhhh

as walter put it: "nothing but a bunch of fucking amateurs"

seriously, is game journalism the bottom of the barrel or what...along with that half-article about Jared saying the nes made him fat(and many others), it's quite obvious that these people have no clue how to write or report.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I'm not sure why gaming sites think they can get away with such blatant plagiarism.[/QUOTE]
Because the population that gaming sites aim at tend to be far younger, inexperienced, less educated and generally just not as bright as many other populations.

What makes me laugh is that, in the article about pulling the guide momentarily to check the validity of the claims of plaigarism, it was suggested that he more than likely left out his forum sources because of the inherent nature of that type of source.

Excuse me, maybe I'm just one of those silly little music major grad students and all, but I recall hearing for the past...oh, eight years of my education that when we cite anything, whether it is as substancial as a major medical journal down to a single sentence on a random Tripod website, we give the original credit where credit is due, whether we quote or simply paraphrase. I can't imagine that people whom I assume majored in journalism in some way, shape, or form would ever imagine that quoting message board posts isn't necessary since it may not necessarily be as valid a source as anything else.

Crazy...just plain crazy. Oh, and of course, the source!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3147338 [Second Paragraph In]

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Because the population that gaming sites aim at tend to be far younger, inexperienced, less educated and generally just not as bright as many other populations.[/QUOTE]

yes but that does not mean that is who goes to those sites. The average age of a person buying a video game is 29.

I Plagiarized a few times when their was a report I did not feel like doing. For example the yearly Martin Luther King JR. report every single year I had to do I would plagiarize.

[quote name='Graystone']yes but that does not mean that is who goes to those sites. The average age of a person buying a video game is 29.

I Plagiarized a few times when their was a report I did not feel like doing. For example the yearly Martin Luther King JR. report every single year I had to do I would plagiarize.[/QUOTE]
How coincidental. MLK Jr. Plagiarized too (on his Doctoral dissertation)!

43cbce63.jpg

hahahha i love you IGN

Why would Shoe get fired?
Also, I like how 1up just had to insert a rebuttal at the end of the Keith interview, even though it suggests that plagiarism did occur and demonstrates that the staff over at 1up don't know what plagiarism means.

[quote name='Stice']Why would Shoe get fired?
Also, I like how 1up just had to insert a rebuttal at the end of the Keith interview, even though it suggests that plagiarism did occur and demonstrates that the staff over at 1up don't know what plagiarism means.[/QUOTE]

WHy? Hsu is a senior editor.

bread's done
Back