1up rates first 14 VC titles

# It sports 480p output, meaning anyone with high-end TV is in luck. In fact, for HD set owners, Virtual Console is the only way to get these classic games to look good, since playing an actual NES on an HDTV is pretty painful to look at.

Is this true? That's reason enough to dump all of my old school games when I get a Wii.

Is this true for ALL the emulators, or just Nintendo's ones?

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Sonic is worth it? The Sonic Mega Collection is easy to find for $10 and has a hell of a lot more games![/QUOTE]

QFT

Seriously, you can get the Genesis Collection and Sonic Mega Collection (I'd go for the Xbox version cause of the save stating) for like $30.

Games played on widescreen TVs automatically stretch to fit, which looks pretty bad. Link was always a tubby little guy on NES, but this is ridiculous.
Most people have the ability to change the aspect ratio on their TVs right?

Too bad I can't even get access to the virtual console stuff. I was able to get in the first day, but now it seems the servers are just too busy. Sorta what it was like with DS Mario Kart at release.

Anyone else having a lot of trouble?

I've been debating Mario for it, considering I already have the DS and original N64 versions... but if it looks that much better... I might just do it.

The games they're recommending are also the ones I was thinking of. Ouch checkbook.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Sonic is worth it? The Sonic Mega Collection is easy to find for $10 and has a hell of a lot more games![/quote]
They're not talking about the price, just that the emulation's top notch.

[quote name='coldwine']Yeah that's what I was thinking.[/quote]

You just need to change the aspect ratio on the Wii to 4:3, you shouldn't have to do anything with your TV set. It will most likely display black bars on each side if you set the Wii to 4:3.

[quote name='Chrono72090']Too bad I can't even get access to the virtual console stuff. I was able to get in the first day, but now it seems the servers are just too busy. Sorta what it was like with DS Mario Kart at release.

Anyone else having a lot of trouble?[/quote]

Per Nintendo's recommendations, change your wireless channel to 1 or 11 to fix any Wii Shop problems you may be having. I have been posting this in multiple threads because it fixed my issues instantly. BTW, I have a Linksys WRT54G and chaged my channel to 11.

I can now connect to the Wii Shop in less than a minute where before I was timing out and locking up constantly.

Is Nintendo ever planning on adding online multi-player? I'd love to play some NES Ice Hockey online...

I'm annoyed by switching inputs everytime I change from one console to the next, mustless an aspect ratio, be it through my TV or Wii.

I, for one, sympathize with the widescreen issue.

Welcome to 2006, the technology exists!

"Eight bucks for Altered Beast? The Internet has a word for this, and that word is "LOL.""

That's pretty damned funny.

I bought 3000 Wii points, but I'm not ready to buy anything offered just yet. The selection is comprised of expected classics and awkward titles only released now because they wouldn't sell any other way.

[quote name='mykevermin']"Eight bucks for Altered Beast? The Internet has a word for this, and that word is "LOL.""

I bought 3000 Wii points, but I'm not ready to buy anything offered just yet. The selection is comprised of expected classics and awkward titles only released now because they wouldn't sell any other way.[/quote]

How about these potential VC releases that the ESRB has rated already?

As it stood, the following potential 2007 VC games we hit on were as follows:
  • Duck Hunt (E for Everyone)
  • Hogan's Alley (E for Everyone)
  • Kid Icarus (E for Everyone)
  • Kirby's Adventure (E for Everyone)
  • Pilot Wings (E for Everyone)
  • Pro Wrestling (E for Everyone)
  • Punch-Out (E for Everyone)
  • Wild Gunman (E for Everyone)
New to the list, however, is a slightly more diverse catalog of games:
  • Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
  • Kirby's Super Star (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
  • Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
  • Starfox 64 (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
  • Super Metroid (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
  • Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
  • Excitebike (NES; rated E for Everyone)
  • Ice Climber (NES; rated E for Everyone)
  • Dr. Mario (NES; rated E for Everyone)
  • Mario Brothers (NES; rated E for Everyone)
  • Ice Hockey (NES; rated E for Everyone)
  • Soccer (NES; rated E for Everyone)

Looks like a much more solid lineup than what's out right now. I'd think about getting a few, like the Kirby games at least.

[quote name='mykevermin']"Eight bucks for Altered Beast? The Internet has a word for this, and that word is "LOL.""

I bought 3000 Wii points, but I'm not ready to buy anything offered just yet. The selection is comprised of expected classics and awkward titles only released now because they wouldn't sell any other way.[/quote]

I just downloaded Super Mario 64 since I never owned a Nintendo 64 and playing the DS version is painful.

I'll also most likely get Bonk at some point. I came really close to getting it tonight.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How about these potential VC releases that the ESRB has rated already?

Looks like a much more solid lineup than what's out right now. I'd think about getting a few, like the Kirby games at least.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I could see myself going through quite a few points cards next year. THe only two launch titles I'm interested in are Mario 64 and the NES Zelda.

I hadn't played through SM64, so I admit it's tempting. But 10 fucking dollars?

Mario RPG and Kid Icarus will be purchases by me. That's a good list, and doesn't have any Genesis/TG-16 titles on it.

MM, Kirby DL3 and Super Metroid will be mine, now I might have a reason to get a CC, if not so that I dont have to use the GCNs d-pad.

Originally posted by 1UP
If Mario 64 is any indication, N64 software is going to look way better than on an actual N64. Textures look cleaner, sprite objects are sharper, and all that blurry anti-aliasing has been toned down. The result? Crisp, attractive graphics. And finally playing N64 games on a better controller makes the package even better.
That alone justifies $10 per N64 game to me. I don't plan on owning more than 10 N64 games so $100 for 10 classics that look and play better on VC is awesome.

So, no one answered or maybe no one knows, but all the emulators are capable of running at 480p? This alone would justfiy any games I bought on there since they are going to look a hell of alot better on an HDTV. That, plus the list Frisky just posted, really pushes me in the direction of a Wii alot faster.

[quote name='mykevermin']I hadn't played through SM64, so I admit it's tempting. But 10 fucking dollars?

Mario RPG and Kid Icarus will be purchases by me. That's a good list, and doesn't have any Genesis/TG-16 titles on it.[/quote]

What are the other options for SM64 though? I'm not buying an N64 and tracking down the game just to play it. I'm not going to sit at my PC with some janky N64 emulator to play it.

For $10 I got SM64 downloaded to my Wii where I can play it from the comfort of my living room with my Wavebird. It works for me.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Sonic is worth it? The Sonic Mega Collection is easy to find for $10 and has a hell of a lot more games![/QUOTE]

No, just grab Mega collection (or plus, if you got a PS2 / XB / XB 360)

10 dollars for N64 games seems fair to me...

its the Genises (and to a lesser extent) S/NES games that are a tad overpriced....

Meh nothing too interesting yet. Mario RPG for snes is a for sure though...that game is brilliant! I might also give Kid Icarus a shot since he is a new smash bros char if it gets good ratings that is. Maybe Starfox 64 if its any good. Meh...and some day I might download Zelda classic for the heck of it...but not for awhile. 30 dollars per year is basically the max I'll be spending on VC games...if that.

[quote name='evilmax17']Jeff Gerstman just needs to stop reviewing games. I don't know how you can give the original Zelda a 7.3, regardless of any factor.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/legendofzeldanes/review.html?sid=6162256

If you give one of the best games on the NES a 7.3, where do you go from there?[/QUOTE]

I didn't even see anything in that review that even alluded to a 7.3. The review was positive except for the fact he said you can get the game elsewhere and probably already have.

I mean, yea, I can see how the overworld is frustrating for some people who maybe haven't played the game, but 7.3? The score dosen't make sense given the review.

I defended the man's Twilight Princess review but this one, it's way out of wack... namely just the score.

[quote name='evilmax17']Jeff Gerstman just needs to stop reviewing games. I don't know how you can give the original Zelda a 7.3, regardless of any factor.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/legendofzeldanes/review.html?sid=6162256

If you give one of the best games on the NES a 7.3, where do you go from there?[/QUOTE]

The fact that it was one of the best games on the NES is irrelevant. It has been far surpassed so I say a 7.3 20 years after it's release is extremely generous.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']The fact that it was one of the best games on the NES is irrelevant. It has been far surpassed so I say a 7.3 20 years after it's release is extremely generous.[/quote]Then what are they rating it against? Zelda: TP? If they aren't basing it in the context of the release, shouldn't every game prior to last gen get a 3 due to graphics and lack of an analog stick?

[quote name='botticus']Then what are they rating it against? Zelda: TP? If they aren't basing it in the context of the release, shouldn't every game prior to last gen get a 3 due to graphics and lack of an analog stick?[/quote]
"Doesn't look nearly as good as Gears of War. Only uses 2 buttons, WTF is that? Sound effects sound unrealistic, no voice acting. Load times between each screen are unacceptable in this day and age. No save feature is the last nail in the coffin."

[quote name='PenguinMaster']The fact that it was one of the best games on the NES is irrelevant. It has been far surpassed so I say a 7.3 20 years after it's release is extremely generous.[/quote]
Exactly. It was a great game then, now it's a good game. It's even gotten a better score than the GBA rerelease.

[quote name='evilmax17']"Doesn't look nearly as good as Gears of War. Only uses 2 buttons, WTF is that? Sound effects sound unrealistic, no voice acting. Load times between each screen are unacceptable in this day and age. No save feature is the last nail in the coffin."[/quote]:rofl:

That shot of SM64 looks rather impressive, better than the real N64 shot. Maybe I will be purchasing a few games after all.:)

What is the point structure for these classic games? I'm debating to get a Wii. How much to point cards cost? How many points are on them?

[quote name='doubledown']What is the point structure for these classic games? I'm debating to get a Wii. How much to point cards cost? How many points are on them?[/quote]$20.00 a card which is 2000 points so one cent equals one point.

Here is how they cost...
NES- 500
Turbographics 16- 600
Snes and Genesis- 800
Nintendo 64- 1000

I'm still hoping Nintendo does some promotional stuff where they give away points/games. These things are overpriced and is probably 99% profit for Nintendo.

I just bought Super Mario 64. THe buying process was painless. I am very happy with the purchase. The game is still as fun and addicting as always. Between this and Zelda:TP, I"m gonna be busy for quite some time. I really like the VIrutal COnsole. Its not too expensive, and it will be great for replaying classics and trying obscure games.

Like someone else said.. I think $8 is much for SNES/Genesis games. They have to be like A+ games for me to buy them. (Like Mario World or Yoshi's Island, Mario RPG, Kirby Superstar). I just hope they end up with the RIGHT SNES/Gen games :)

Don't want my $8 options to be garbage.

"The original Zelda feels like it should be played on a system released 20 years ago. The graphics look dated. The controls feel tacked on. They should be on a clonky old controller with only 2 buttons and a D-pad, not a classic controller or Gamecube Controller."

[quote name='lilboo']Like someone else said.. I think $8 is much for SNES/Genesis games. They have to be like A+ games for me to buy them. (Like Mario World or Yoshi's Island, Mario RPG, Kirby Superstar). I just hope they end up with the RIGHT SNES/Gen games :)

Don't want my $8 options to be garbage.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. They totally killed potential "impule" purchases with the pricing structure. Who's going to take a gamble on a 15 year old game for $8?

That being said, I remember liking Solomon's Key so that may get a purchase from me, as well as Kid Icarus. Mario 64 might be fun to go through again, but I'm unsure about the price.

Has anyone tried Bomberman yet? It is 5 player! I might snag that one tomorrow as I have friends coming over.

I've only downloaded Bonk and Bomberman so far. Bonk looks like shit without component cables. He's bright red :(

[quote name='furyk']I've only downloaded Bonk and Bomberman so far. Bonk looks like shit without component cables. He's bright red :([/QUOTE]

LOL Right ?!?!

Hey, in Bomberman can you do 5 player vs with both players AND CPUs?

I wanna do 5 players, but only have 1 person to play with. So can it be set to 2 players, 3 CPUs?

I think it's funny that Nintendo is charging like $5 for that shitty Pinball game when everyone with a computer has a pinball game that's better. Plus the pinball game is in Animal Crossing. It's cheaper to just buy Animal Crossing and get several games.

haha ya thats true, plus animal crossing you get that mario vs dk one as well. Bomberman I've always liked though...maybe if thats done EXTREMELY well

bread's done
Back