1up show rumor: New PS3 controller, modular/transformable, with pointer

Vanigan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Well, add this to the interesting pile of rumors around the PS3. Not only is the DS3 out now. But on the 1up show they connected the dots about an old PS3 patent and some new info about a new controller Sony is supposedly working on.

The controller is said to be transformable/modular, and have aspects of the wiimote with some kind of pointer. Word is that Call of Duty 5 and Resistance 2 should use it in some way.

Well all they really mention is that it's transformable, somehow involves some LEDs for pointing/positioning, and is meant to give the PS3 something comparable to the wiimote.

It's the transformable thing that interests me.

The current PS3 controller design just doesn't work well for motion controlled casual games like wii sports. For those, you really do need a kind of stick-like device that can be gripped in many ways. On the opposite spectrum, those stick devices aren't that good for more involved games with complex control schemes.

So something that can transform between the two would be interesting. Especially if that transforming also involved some kind of modular system where people could tailor the grips and maybe even the left dpad and analog stick placement to suit their desires.

But actually, the main interest I have is just in a new controller design that takes advantage of new advances in ergonomics, better functionality like replaceable battery packs, plugging headsets into the controller instead of the console, better positioning and look of the PS button and the LEDs that indicate which controller number you are.

One problem is that they'd have to push for acceptance of this new controller, and it's yet another controller revision after the rumble debacle. But what would help it's acceptance if the transformable aspect works, and it can be used comfortably as a normal controller until time came to use it like a wiimote.

I would imagine it would be a stick like thing, and than you would snap on a few pieces and it would sort of resemble a six axis. Although the picture I have of it in my head seems a bit uncomfortable...

.... I'm gonna be buying another controller by year end now? I guess that's ok. My sixaxis should be pretty worn by then.

Between plethora of things the Wii has, the Sixaxis, the DS3, and now the 'rumored' motion-control iterations of the PS3 and 360 controllers, I'm getting a bit sick of controllers in this generation.

Seriously, I want to stop buying them now guys. Please?

Sony should focus on improving their online department rather than stupid controllers.

[quote name='Blackout542']Sony should focus on improving their online department rather than stupid controllers.[/quote]

/agreed... or focus on games, maybe? ...food for thought

The games are fine, just getting the XMB issues and online sorted out should be priorities numbers 1-10. A modular/transformable controller equals expensive, flimsily, and unreliable in my book.

A freakin' Transformers PS3 controller? That'd be awesome. It goes from a controller to a gun to a steering wheel and back again!

This seems like a bad idea. The way Wii uses motion controls is what sets it apart, tacking them on like this is going to suck. Wii games by third parties generally suck anyway with a few golden exceptions, and all the ports of Wii titles sucked (eg, Rayman) because of the lack of motion controls. The best case scenario is that these third party games can be ported over to the PS3 -- but who gives a shit, because since the Wii's hardware is far less powerful than the PS3 or 360, the graphics of a ported Wii game will look like garbage compared to what a PS3 owner is used to if they only play PS3 and do not own a Wii, and if they do own a Wii, why not just get the Wii version? Plus, they are neglecting the fact that the audiences for the Wii and PS3 in and of themselves are vastly different, and one of the most appealing things about the Wii is its price tag.

Seriously, though, Sony needs to stop this and get some fun games out that aren't multiplatform so I can use my PS3 for more than folding and blu-ray. If I want to play with waggle stuff, I'll play on the Wii - which doesn't even have it in every game! Its really sad that Time Crisis 4 was so lackluster, and the Wii is getting far more quality rail shooters -- I'd love to see those in glorios HD compared to 480P.

I'm waiting to get Ratchet & Clank: Future and I'm still debating what console to get GTAIV for, but it looks like the 360 may be it because of the achievements, supposedly exclusive DLC, and my fear of needing an installation for the PS3 version. I'd like to get Folklore if I can find it cheap like everyone else has, but right now my backlog is so big that I can't justify a $60 game -- if there was anything even worth buying at the moment. I wouldn't mind playing Resistance, but I've got enough shooters on the 360 (mostly crossplatform, but I got my 360 before my PS3) that I really don't need anymore. Every game is an FPS nowadays, but that's a rant for another day.

This certainly turned into a little essay that got derailed. In conclusion, having all three consoles makes me feel nonpartisan, even though I am frustrated with the PS3 -- Blu-Ray is beautiful, though. =)

[quote name='Slim Gatsby'] I'm still debating what console to get GTAIV for, ... supposedly exclusive DLC, and my fear of needing an installation for the PS3 version. [/QUOTE]

Sorry to go off topic, but I haven't heard anything about installation(on GTA4), but I am pretty sure the many millions of dollars that microsoft paid for the DLC episodic missions will ensure that it is exclusive. There may be other multi-console DLC that isn't exclusive, but the extra missions will be.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']This seems like a bad idea. The way Wii uses motion controls is what sets it apart, tacking them on like this is going to suck. Wii games by third parties generally suck anyway with a few golden exceptions, and all the ports of Wii titles sucked (eg, Rayman) because of the lack of motion controls. The best case scenario is that these third party games can be ported over to the PS3 -- but who gives a shit, because since the Wii's hardware is far less powerful than the PS3 or 360, the graphics of a ported Wii game will look like garbage compared to what a PS3 owner is used to if they only play PS3 and do not own a Wii, and if they do own a Wii, why not just get the Wii version? Plus, they are neglecting the fact that the audiences for the Wii and PS3 in and of themselves are vastly different, and one of the most appealing things about the Wii is its price tag.

Seriously, though, Sony needs to stop this and get some fun games out that aren't multiplatform so I can use my PS3 for more than folding and blu-ray. If I want to play with waggle stuff, I'll play on the Wii - which doesn't even have it in every game! Its really sad that Time Crisis 4 was so lackluster, and the Wii is getting far more quality rail shooters -- I'd love to see those in glorios HD compared to 480P.

I'm waiting to get Ratchet & Clank: Future and I'm still debating what console to get GTAIV for, but it looks like the 360 may be it because of the achievements, supposedly exclusive DLC, and my fear of needing an installation for the PS3 version. I'd like to get Folklore if I can find it cheap like everyone else has, but right now my backlog is so big that I can't justify a $60 game -- if there was anything even worth buying at the moment. I wouldn't mind playing Resistance, but I've got enough shooters on the 360 (mostly crossplatform, but I got my 360 before my PS3) that I really don't need anymore. Every game is an FPS nowadays, but that's a rant for another day.

This certainly turned into a little essay that got derailed. In conclusion, having all three consoles makes me feel nonpartisan, even though I am frustrated with the PS3 -- Blu-Ray is beautiful, though. =)[/QUOTE]

Oh thank heavens for those quality Wii rail shooters..

[quote name='Thomas96']Oh thank heavens for those quality Wii rail shooters..[/quote]

Yep, that's sure relevant. I'm glad that you actually got something out of my post and were able to contribute to the conversation in a proactive and constructive fashion.

Are there any rail shooters this gen besides Umbrella Chronicles, Ghost Squad, house of the Dead 2&3 and Time Crisis 4? Not really. And only one of them is generally considered worthless.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']This seems like a bad idea. The way Wii uses motion controls is what sets it apart, tacking them on like this is going to suck. Wii games by third parties generally suck anyway with a few golden exceptions, and all the ports of Wii titles sucked (eg, Rayman) because of the lack of motion controls. The best case scenario is that these third party games can be ported over to the PS3 -- but who gives a shit, because since the Wii's hardware is far less powerful than the PS3 or 360, the graphics of a ported Wii game will look like garbage compared to what a PS3 owner is used to if they only play PS3 and do not own a Wii, and if they do own a Wii, why not just get the Wii version? Plus, they are neglecting the fact that the audiences for the Wii and PS3 in and of themselves are vastly different, and one of the most appealing things about the Wii is its price tag.

This certainly turned into a little essay that got derailed. In conclusion, having all three consoles makes me feel nonpartisan, even though I am frustrated with the PS3 -- Blu-Ray is beautiful, though. =)[/quote]

Do you even HAVE any games for PS3?

I don't know why MS and Sony are scrambling to get WiiMote ripoffs. No one gives a shit. Anyone I know that has a Wii would never bother to get a "hardcore" system; they're happy playing Wii Sports.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Yep, that's sure relevant. I'm glad that you actually got something out of my post and were able to contribute to the conversation in a proactive and constructive fashion.

Are there any rail shooters this gen besides Umbrella Chronicles, Ghost Squad, house of the Dead 2&3 and Time Crisis 4? Not really. And only one of them is generally considered worthless.[/QUOTE]

I agreed with most of your previous post. I didn't think man people liked he rail shooters that much any more. Good to see that you enjoy them.

In regards to your previous post, its not that I think this 'idea' of Sony is bad. I just don't think that we need a new periphreal. But you have to remember, when Sony makes plans (Nintendo and MS as well), they're not making plans based on the market as it is right now. Right now this type of periphreal doesn't feel warranted, but hopefull when it does come out it'll be at the right time and have the right support to make it succesful.

[quote name='orko60']Do you even HAVE any games for PS3?

I don't know why MS and Sony are scrambling to get WiiMote ripoffs. No one gives a shit. Anyone I know that has a Wii would never bother to get a "hardcore" system; they're happy playing Wii Sports.[/quote]

Yes! I'm tired of everyone trying to copy the Wii. If I wanted to play with all that gimmicky shit, I would have bought a Wii. The PS3 motion control has completely sucked (minus Heavenly Sword, but even that was somewhat frusterating). PS3 needs exclusive single player games and a better online system. When they get those locked down then start looking into more options if they feel they need to (which they don't).

[quote name='orko60']Do you even HAVE any games for PS3?

I don't know why MS and Sony are scrambling to get WiiMote ripoffs. No one gives a shit. Anyone I know that has a Wii would never bother to get a "hardcore" system; they're happy playing Wii Sports.[/quote]

I have all three, and I've had fun on all three.

Apart from that, I agree with you that the inclusion of remotes is somewhat unnecessary. On the other hand, I doubt that they are really throwing that much effort into it - probably just experimenting on the side as they might with any other peripheral.

[quote name='Blackout542']Yes! I'm tired of everyone trying to copy the Wii.[/quote]

In some cases they actually made gameplay annoying. Like the balancing moments from Drake's Fortune.

Half-assing motion controls is far worse than excluding them entirely, but I'm guessing Sony is pushing developers to tag on those features.

You ought to get over the Wii being a gimmick. There have been games that have improved their experience using the controls. If a given developer can't find their way to making effective use of the controls, then its a big shame for them and their audience.

I thought I read Sony canceled the wiimock controller. I think they should focus more on doing things with the PSEye instead. They've already shown some pretty cool ways to interact with games without actually holding something.

Transformable controllers are something I've always wanted. Not adding different mods, but being able to stretch and adjust the layout to fit my hands perfectly would be great. Press something to make it fold into itself to make it smaller for the kids, and then pull it back out to lay gracefully in an adult's hands.

[quote name='Vanigan']Something like Saitek's PC joysitcks? Those the higher end joysticks from Saitek had parts you could adjust via screwdriver.[/quote]

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Sort of the same idea yes.

bread's done
Back