2.5" Hard Drive upgrade for PS3 - 200GB Hitachi 7500 RPM $129 - 10% + Tax at BB

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ripped from slickdeals because i'm lazy

[quote name='MelchiorZ']This is kind of an old deal but I haven't seen it posted around here, (found from NBR & FW).

This drive OEMs at Newegg for about $205 + shipping.
BestBuy has it as an external for $142.99:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...2200u&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1177112455216

You just have to make sure to check the S/N# on the bottom and make sure it starts with DTG, as this indicates its a 7200 rpm drive and not a 5400 one. It's very interesting if you look at the box itself that nowhere it mentions the drive speed, so this looks like it was meant by Hitachi to sell more drives.

See my pic: http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7443/dscf1342ue1.jpg

Very simple to pop open (2 screws and slide the cover off).

Btw, did I mention this is *THE* absolute fastest HD (besides small capacity SSDs) that you can buy for laptops using 2.5" SATA. The only caveat is that this external drive only has 1 year warranty as opposed to Hitachi's 3 year on it's OEM.

Edit: According to Vaphoron, this is alive again from Sun - Wed for 129.99 before Thanksgiving[/QUOTE]

Picked one of these up yesterday with the 12% off coupon, but that's expired. There is this 10% off coupon still though. Very easy to take out of the external shell (only 2 screws) and very easy to install on the ps3. And voila instant 200GB ps3.

https://moversguide.usps.com/img/coupon/bestbuy/200711_clientarea.gif

not a bad deal i was looking at a 160GB (5400RPM) for 90 bucks but this is a better deal if you can score a 7200RPM one. Thanks OP

It's segate or bust for me, I'll never buy another brand hard drive again. I've RMA'd more drives than the average person will own most of their life. :(

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Plus you can stick the old PS3 HDD into the enclosure and you now have an external 20, 40, 60, or 80GB HDD for use with anything.[/QUOTE]

I actually tried that with my old ps3 HD but it didnt seem to work for some reason.

But yeah I also have to add that this HD has a 1 year warranty instead of the 3 year you'd get with an OEM drive. But that's mainly because drives in external enclosures tend to live a short life. If you take it out, problem solved.

Good deal, but hasn't it been said that if you do upgrade to a bigger hdd, that you should stick to a 5400 rpm? I remember reading or hearing that the 7200 ones cause some malfuntions as it overheats the PS3 or something.

nice, but anyone know how to copy everything from the current PS3's hdd to this new hdd? if it's easy to do, i probably gonna bite on this....

Same question here... is it easy to copy what is on my harddrive now to the new drive?

Maybe with a backup CD burn application?

or do i have to do some serious comp drive swapping dumping etc?

[quote name='Serpentor']nice, but anyone know how to copy everything from the current PS3's hdd to this new hdd? if it's easy to do, i probably gonna bite on this....[/QUOTE]

you back it up either to a flash or external drive. It's a command in the system options.
Also 7500 RPM hds aren't as hot as some people think.

And why the hell did they move this to other deals. it's game related.......... Some mods just don't know how to read.

[quote name='reicaden']Same question here... is it easy to copy what is on my harddrive now to the new drive?

Maybe with a backup CD burn application?

or do i have to do some serious comp drive swapping dumping etc?[/QUOTE]

You don't need any seperate applications to backup your drive. The PS3 will do it for you if you just plug in a USB external drive or flash drive (with enough space) and copy your data over through the PS3 interface.

If you google "upgrade ps3 hard drive guide" you'll find several walkthroughs on how to do it with pictures and more info.

Most do seem to recommend a 5400RPM drive replacement though.

It's also recommended to keep your original drive around for backup or if you need to send the console in for repairs.

Assuming i dont want the 7200 rpm though... and would rather stick to 5400 since its what most guides recommend.... would these other 2 choices below be better? :

SimpleTech 250 GB 2.5" Portable Hard Drive - $129.99

Western Digital 160 GB 2.5 Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive - $69.99

Just wondering, cause I may want to sacrifice the speed, for the capacity. (or the capacity for the price, in the second option).

Thanks in advance if anyone knows if these two listed drives would work too :) If not, i'll get the OP's one delivered instead. I always like to save a bit though, wherever I can.

bread's done
Back