2.5" SATA 640gb hard drive for PS3 - $89.99 FS @ newegg.

I guess it's a good deal. I've still got plenty of space on my 120 GB slim though. And aren't these laptop drives real easy to install and cheap?

[quote name='cooljammer00']I guess it's a good deal. I've still got plenty of space on my 120 GB slim though. And aren't these laptop drives real easy to install and cheap?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. You just pop off the cover, slide out, remove the screw, replace the drive and reverse what you just did.

Backing up the hard drive takes a while, though. I used my iPod.

So, will the PS3 recognize any drives over 500gb? I heard that even if you were to purchase a TB drive, the system only recognizes 500 gigs of it. Might be misinformation, though.

[quote name='Lord Darkstorn']So, will the PS3 recognize any drives over 500gb? I heard that even if you were to purchase a TB drive, the system only recognizes 500 gigs of it. Might be misinformation, though.[/QUOTE]

from various sources, it should work fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822136459
Other Thoughts: From the PS3 perspective, I have high hopes for this drive. I don't forsee the spindle speed as being particularly bothersome, as the stock PS3 hard drive was a 5,400rpm drive as well. I held out on buying a 500gb drive in hopes of a 750gb or 1tb drive coming soon, but my little 60gb drive filled up faster than those two could reach the common 9.5mm height. Actual formatted capacity under the PS3 OS is 596gb, with 529gb available following a bone-stock format under firmware 3.01.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...e?board.id=ps3media&message.id=112390#M112390
Currently the largest 2.5 inch SATA drives are 320GB, which work fine, people have used extension cables to plug 1TB 3.5 inch drives into the PS3 (although of course, these would be ugly hanging out of the PS3) and they worked as well, so the limit is likely past 1TB.

Wish I could've gotten in on this. I'm filling my PS3 up fast and while I still have 80 gigs free right now I know it'll be filled completely by February.

Edit: OKay, now I reallllly wish I'd gotten in on this. I only have 25 gigs left. :( It filled up super fast from September to now.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be the STUPIDEST thing ever to ask...
But as a new PS3 owner...

I will hardly utilize my PS3's hard drive space, however, I am planning on dumping all my music from my external hard drive there...

I am not a big fan of plugging in my external in to my macbook, because I am always traveling with it...so my music library is always gone...

Is there a way to stream music from the PS3 TO the macbook? Even if it is in like a 10 feet vicinity?

If so, perhaps I may invest in a bigger hard drive...
Thanks for answering this question.

[quote name='gomikeoh']I will hardly utilize my PS3's hard drive space[/QUOTE]

Haha, you think that now. But with most games requiring an install of anywhere from 2 to 5 gigabytes, you'll be amazed at how quickly that hard drive fills up . . .

[quote name='gomikeoh']Is there a way to stream music from the PS3 TO the macbook?[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm aware, no. The only outward streaming that the PS3 can do is to the PSP.

[quote name='JaroldL']this wouldve been great if it were a hard drive for the computer.[/QUOTE]

Huh? $89.99 wouldn't be a very good price for an 640GB internal 3.5" drive at all. You can get 1TB drives for less than that. It is a good deal for a 2.5" laptop drive (which this was), though.

Hey, thanks a lot for posting this. I was able to get it for $89 using my Palm Pre at work. Can't wait to replace my 120! :D

Honestly, all I want is like a 250...

But I want a killer deal... Kinda strapped for cash... I thought BF and CM would have some.

ARGH!

Why couldn't I have found this thread YESTERDAY!
I was looking for a bigger HDD for my PS3 and this would have been perfect! :(

[quote name='Gameboy415']Found a good deal on Amazon!

Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 2.5 Inch, 8 MB Cache, 5400 RPM SATA II WD5000BEVT for $69.99 w/$10 Mail-in-rebate:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1259675109&sr=1-1

A few of the user-reviews mention it working great in PS3's so I'm pretty sure I'll grab one for myself. :D[/QUOTE]Scorpio Blue drives work great in PS3's. I have a 120GB in my PS3 and it works like a champ, plus I have two Scorpio Blacks in a SFF PC, and they also work great.

These days, I'd lean more towards WD than Seagate for internal drives, since it seems like they're better drives from specs and reliability.

for those still interested. I picked up the exact same HDD on ebay for $100+bing(NEW).
Although for my laptop(80GB SDD is a bit lacking). Still havent filled up my 40GB on the PS3 ;).

I have a 500GB Scorpio Blue in my PS3. I still would like a bigger HDD since I have only 100GB left. I thought that 500GB was the largest HDD you could put into a PS3, no?

The RPM difference showed very little increase in load time, the most notable load time increase was on initial boot only (0.6 seconds or something). There is a large school of thought that 5400 rpm is better due to the heat produced from 7200s - if it were me, I'd just stick with the 5400 to be safe. I believe Kotaku or IGN did the comparison.

The thread title confuses me. "PS3 640GB hard drive." There's no special hard drive for the PS3, is there? Any 2.5" SATA hard drive should work? (except I hear the 1 TB drives are a different height and may not fit)

Does the 8mb cache matter? I heard some people had problems playing games because their cache size was too small. Isn't is better to get one with 16mb or 32mb of cache?

[quote name='gantt']The thread title confuses me. "PS3 640GB hard drive." There's no special hard drive for the PS3, is there? Any 2.5" SATA hard drive should work? (except I hear the 1 TB drives are a different height and may not fit)[/QUOTE]

Yup, pretty much. Don't know about the size for the 1TB drives.

[quote name='BlindNoir']Does the 8mb cache matter? I heard some people had problems playing games because their cache size was too small. Isn't is better to get one with 16mb or 32mb of cache?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it would make that big of a difference.

[quote name='shadowkast']I never thought I'd fill up my 320 gig....I have[/QUOTE]

I still have like 200GB's left on mine, but if these mandatory installs don't ever go away, I'll be out of space before the end of the PS3's life. Although I guess I can just delete the installs for the games I don't play.

I swapped in a spare 7200 rpm drive from my laptop and I see some increases in loadtimes. It's not huge, but enough to make a difference if you play on your ps3 everyday. Just remember it will affect only hard drive related processes like boot up, level loading, map changing, etc. The games that you download from PSN or have data you can install on the HD will show the largest improvements.

Then again, I had almost nothing to lose swapping in a spare drive :p

[quote name='gantt']The thread title confuses me. "PS3 640GB hard drive." There's no special hard drive for the PS3, is there? Any 2.5" SATA hard drive should work? (except I hear the 1 TB drives are a different height and may not fit)[/QUOTE]I fixed the thread title to be more appropriate.

And I believe you're right about the 750GB and 1TB drives not working in the PS3, as they're 12.5mm high drives and the PS3 drive bay only works with 9.5mm drives.

640GB? That's f'n huge...I need one lol. 60GB just ain't cuttin' it anymore ever since I been watchin' a lot of movies on it. I don't like havin' to delete game installs either. And then there's Linux that I'm now interested in...

I'm going to pick one of these up too for my baby 60gb! Freaking trying to get that MAG to install created 8gb worth of data off of only 2gb worth of info (download hung twice for me before beta went all hours, started a 3rd time the other night) was shocked when I got a message for needing more HDD space!

My only question is about the backup...i don't want to mess w/ partitions on an external so its only 32gb in FAT32..any suggestions?? I don't have a thumb-drive large enough, I don't think...or I could just go after gamesaves and re-get everything else..

[quote name='token2k6']I'm going to pick one of these up too for my baby 60gb! Freaking trying to get that MAG to install created 8gb worth of data off of only 2gb worth of info (download hung twice for me before beta went all hours, started a 3rd time the other night) was shocked when I got a message for needing more HDD space!

My only question is about the backup...i don't want to mess w/ partitions on an external so its only 32gb in FAT32..any suggestions?? I don't have a thumb-drive large enough, I don't think...or I could just go after gamesaves and re-get everything else..[/QUOTE]

The 32 GB limitation is only the max size FAT32 partition that WinXP will create, you can create partitions larger than that:

http://www.allensmith.net/Storage/HDDlimit/FAT32.htm

gparted or fat32format should be able to do the trick as well.

bread's done
Back