2 Halo 2 Maps coming out April 17th for..

xtchuh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
It's true! here's the digest version: Two new maps, both available on April 17th through the Halo 2 downloader in the game itself, and it's just $4 for the pair.The maps ar Tombstone and Desolation - remakes of Hang 'Em High and Derelict, respectively.

Go look at 'em right now: New Halo 2 Map Shots!
http://www.bungie.net/Projects/Halo2/default.aspx

It's an original Xbox download, so there's no way to use MS points - and you WILL need an Xbox Live Gold account to download and play, since the original Xbox (even in BC mode) can't tell the difference between gold and silver. But you CAN use these on 360, just so we're clear. You just need to use a credit card for the purchase, instead of marketplace points. We'll have LOTS more info in the update later today, and in the meantime, here's the full text of the press release:

HALO 2 MULTIPLAYER MAPS REVEALED

Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie Studios today confirmed the upcoming release of two new, eagerly awaited downloadable maps for “Halo® 2.” The maps will be available as premium downloadable content for Xbox® and Xbox 360™ on April 17.

Fans of the original “Halo” have long requested the addition of some of their favorite maps to the critically acclaimed multiplayer experience of “Halo 2.” These re-creations, developed by Bungie and Certain Affinity Inc., are a perfect way to thank fans for their support as they surpass 800 million hours of “Halo 2” gaming on Xbox LIVE®.

The two maps will bring new life to ancient battlefields and legendary skirmishes, as both are new, improved and redesigned remakes of fan favorites from the original “Halo: Combat Evolved.” For the price of $4 for the pair, these maps bring a fresh burst of action to the seminal “Halo 2” online multiplayer experience. Both of the maps will be available through the “Halo 2” in-game content downloader for both Xbox and Xbox 360.*

The king of “Halo” maps has returned at last. Hang ’Em High, arguably the most popular multiplayer map for the original title, has been reimagined for “Halo 2” as Tombstone, with all-new graphics, features and a few hidden surprises. Now fans will enjoy the dangerous catwalks and trenches that made this the most requested “Halo” multiplayer map ever, with a modernized “Halo 2” flavor.

The second map, Desolation, is a symmetrical, Deathmatch-oriented map and a beautiful remake of the original Derelict. With new graphics and effects and a massive gameplay overhaul, the old favorite is now faster-paced and more balanced than ever — perfect for intense “Halo 2” combat.

I bet it's so they can get people back to playing Halo, therefore when Halo 3 comes out, they will want to move onto the 'Better, newer' version of the game.

[quote name='jer7583']I like that hang em high map, i'll buy them.[/QUOTE]
Personally, I think the hang 'em high map is worth the $4 on its own but that's just me.

[quote name='xtchuh']I bet it's so they can get people back to playing Halo, therefore when Halo 3 comes out, they will want to move onto the 'Better, newer' version of the game.[/quote]

if that were the case, the maps would be free.

Glad they made these available for original Xbox owners as well. The plan was that these maps were only going to be available to 360 owners.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Personally, I think the hang 'em high map is worth the $4 on its own but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how fun it is though without pistols and long range grenade tosses?

Seriously though, should have just saved these for Halo 3.

Awesome but not as awesome as it could be. Why remake Derelict? That would be last on my list as it was the worst map, IMO. (Though HEH was my fav)

And hopefully the new versions don't suck compared to the old. Like the Longest/Wizard remakes.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Glad they made these available for original Xbox owners as well. The plan was that these maps were only going to be available to 360 owners.[/quote]

The bad side to that is that I have 2000 points to spend but I have to spend cash on the maps.

fuck yes, I can play on my original Xbox.

To the people saying $4 is a lot, it really isn't, especially for Halo, and especially after what we get charged for worse shit on the marketplace.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Personally, I think the hang 'em high map is worth the $4 on its own but that's just me.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Hang 'em High, with rockets...and grenades..

or with snipers...

or...

point is, Hang 'em High kicks ass. Better than Blood Gulch, IMO.

I've gotten so many Halo 2 hours in already, that Bungie well deserves another $4 from me. I'm a little disappointed though cause I was expecting like 4 - 6 maps for 360 only. I was hoping that'd narrow the field of pricks that are still playing this game to only pricks who upgraded...

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Agreed. Hang 'em High, with rockets...and grenades..

or with snipers...

or...

point is, Hang 'em High kicks ass. Better than Blood Gulch, IMO.[/QUOTE]

HELL YES dude! I never enjoyed Blood Gulch. EVER. It was always Hang em High, Derelict, Chill Out, or Damnation. Those are good times. Wow. This seriously made me super excited for April 17th.

EDIT:

Holy ballz. I didn't even read the rest of your post. DERELICT too?!?! Seriously. Just. I wish I could download them now.

I'll save my 4 bucks and put that towards Guitar Hero 2. I mean seriously the beta is coming out in a matter of months and the money whores are trying to squeeze another $4 out of us, come on.

Hang em High is one of the best maps for sure, Derelict bites though. How about a Blood Gulch remake instead xD

[quote name='LiquidNight']Since you can't use points, do you have to link a CC to your account?[/QUOTE]
You can use points on the 360. I wonder if you can download for both systems once they are bought?

[quote name='zewone']You can use points on the 360. I wonder if you can download for both systems once they are bought?[/quote]

Link?

Also, Bungie said a year ago taht hang em high would never be released on Halo 2 because it didn't fit well with it.... whats this?

[quote name='help1']Link?

Also, Bungie said a year ago taht hang em high would never be released on Halo 2 because it didn't fit well with it.... whats this?[/QUOTE]
Link to what? They are going to be on the marketplace, that's already been stated in an older Bungie update when these maps were only coming to the 360.

[quote name='zewone']Link to what? They are going to be on the marketplace, that's already been stated in an older Bungie update when these maps were only coming to the 360.[/QUOTE]

Blah. Quote from Frankie from the Bungie Weekly update...seems to be up early this week

"Because of that, we can’t use Xbox Live Marketplace – it obviously doesn’t exist on the old Xbox. So this will be one of the last times you use a credit card proper to buy a map. In the Halo 2 game interface, you simply select the download option from the main interface, and it will show the new content there. This likely won’t ever be available on a disc, like the last maps, so this is your only method for the moment. These maps could in theory be made free eventually, like last time, but the truth is that we’ll have moved on to Halo 3 by then and it won’t be a priority. So don’t hold your breath. If you don't have a credit card, simply buy a $4 Visa gift card at a supermarket. Bam!"

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Blah. Quote from Frankie from the Bungie Weekly update...seems to be up early this week

"Because of that, we can’t use Xbox Live Marketplace – it obviously doesn’t exist on the old Xbox. So this will be one of the last times you use a credit card proper to buy a map. In the Halo 2 game interface, you simply select the download option from the main interface, and it will show the new content there. This likely won’t ever be available on a disc, like the last maps, so this is your only method for the moment. These maps could in theory be made free eventually, like last time, but the truth is that we’ll have moved on to Halo 3 by then and it won’t be a priority. So don’t hold your breath. If you don't have a credit card, simply buy a $4 Visa gift card at a supermarket. Bam!"[/QUOTE]
They changed it today. It was suppose to be on the marketplace, but I guess they changed it because they wanted to be available for Xbox users. It was already up on PartnerNet.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Halo 3 is 8 months away, and Bungie is still working on Halo 2 maps? Why?[/QUOTE]

To give what the fans want and at the same time make some cash. win-win.

[quote name='zewone']They changed it today. It was suppose to be on the marketplace, but I guess they changed it because they wanted to be available for Xbox users. It was already up on PartnerNet.[/quote]

Thats why I asked for a link.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']maps come out today!! what time can i get em? i hope some CAGs still play halo 2[/QUOTE]
2AM PST.

i cant find my damn halo 2 game, last time i played it was a couple yrs ago...this sucks lol. i need a cheap halo 2 for $10 or less, where can i find one?

Took me like 2 minutes to download them. I like the changes they made to Hang em High, they've added some extra jump points and exits (you'll see what I mean) to help reduce choke points.

I'm not too sure about the new Derelict and the ramps....the grav lifts are ok...but IDK about the ramps. They seem out of place.

bread's done
Back