2 months in, has the Wii met all of your expectations?

Who's The Twitch Now?

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
We're about 8 weeks into the launch window now. With all of the hype, buildup, and nerve-shattering anticipation, was it truly everything you hoped for and more?

My answer: Absolutely.

The Wii is a technological marvel; anyone who doesn't recognize that had better have a damn convincing argument to explain otherwise. Beyond that, though, it's exactly what was promised us; aside from nitpicking and errors (which Nintendo have jumped on lickity-split), we've gotten what we came for. A selection of excellent, if not "fully" technology-utilizing software, with Nintendo's own masterpiece leading the way, as well as several features we weren't even aware of before launch, convince me that the wait was worth it.

How 'bout you?

Yes and no. Wii Sports is fun....for awhile, and Zelda is great. But alas, we're in the Wii drought of games already...and it's only been 2 months.

Honestly, who didn't see the drought coming with the Wii? Every Nintendo system suffers from it, from the N64 on up. The diference this time, hopefully, is that the Wii is selling well enough that third parties might actually decide to develop for it. SSX is a good sign.

No, and the controller has been less fun than I was expecting.

So far the most exciting thing aside from Zelda (which is a GC game), is that someone sent me Mii versions of my favorite band, The Smiths.

Mii Morrissey is the best.

Yea, the Wiimote works much better than I thought it would. I was kinda disappointed when I heard Red Steel sucked. Zelda made it all worth it though, and I get a good workout with Wii Boxing.

Yes, the system has been a lot of fun and the few VC games I've dl'd have kept me busy when I'm not playing one of the new Wii games. Drought? Jeezus, most people still can't even find a Wii so settle down and play a few GC games while you're waiting for Warioware or Mario Galaxy for God's sake. No one pumps out a ton of new games for a new console a month or two after launch (esp with a whole new controller system), just look at the PS3 or 360....

For the most part: yes. I have a few minor gripes, but nothing that won’t be remedied with time.

On an unrelated note, I must have a Mii version of The Smiths! :D

Not entirely--as others have said, Wii Sports is fun and Zelda is amazing. I can't help but feel, though, as if there aren't enough great games out for it yet. Part of it is my fault, as the only other game I've played is Super Monkey Ball which I have been highly disappointed with (I own Trauma Center, but haven't played it yet). I want to buy Excite Truck, but I'm hearing it's a good buy for no more than 20-30 bucks.

That being said, the system was launched less than two months ago. Should I be expecting more than 1 "must have" game?

[quote name='6669']Yea, the Wiimote works much better than I thought it would. I was kinda disappointed when I heard Red Steel sucked. Zelda made it all worth it though, and I get a good workout with Wii Boxing.[/quote]

Yesterday, I rented Red Steel from Hollywood video to see if it was as bad as people said it was... and it is! It just had a ton of hype. Aside from that, the Wii has been very entertaining, so far Elebits is my favorite. :applause:

if you guys have played through zelda by now, in 2 months, you need to get a fucking life. it took me 6 months to beat the ocraina of time. maybe like 2-3 hours a week, max.

[quote name='stnkygrngo']if you guys have played through zelda by now, in 2 months, you need to get a fucking life. it took me 6 months to beat the ocraina of time. maybe like 2-3 hours a week, max.[/QUOTE]
wow, some people arent busy ALL the time, so they need to get a life? I played through the main quest in 20 hours, so it took me 2 weeks.

I dont why people are going on about a drought. Remember the 360? Nothing big (besides DoA4) 'till march. This kind of thing happens a lot.

And actually, I dont see too much of a drought when Wario Ware and Sonic are coming out soon. Also, I hope Metroid gets a solid release date.

[quote name='stnkygrngo']if you guys have played through zelda by now, in 2 months, you need to get a fucking life. it took me 6 months to beat the ocraina of time. maybe like 2-3 hours a week, max.[/QUOTE]

I would lose interest if I tried beating it over the course of several months. Took me a month, 38 hours, to beat Twilight Princess.

Someone on a videogames message board telling others to get a life...hmmm...

There is a drought in games and Nintendo isn't stepping up to the plate and releasing VC games that can fill in the gap. Instead they will release lame ass games that no one wants and no one is willing to pay $5 for.

[quote name='seanr1221']Someone on a videogames message board telling others to get a life...hmmm...[/QUOTE]

If someone beat Zelda in like 3 days I would say get a life, but two months is a long time to play a game and it should be beat by then.

[quote name='David85']There is a drought in games and Nintendo isn't stepping up to the plate and releasing VC games that can fill in the gap. Instead they will release lame ass games that no one wants and no one is willing to pay $5 for.
[/quote]

How can anybody complain about the drought in games. First off, look at the PS3 and the 360 when it launched.

2nd of all, we have Wii Sports, Trauma Center, Zelda, Rayman, Elebits, Metal Slug Anthology, SUper Swing Golf, Excite Truck, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Madden 07, Warioware on the 16th, some good VC games. Drought in games? Maybe it's just me but I don't really see it. Pardon me for asking but what the hell else do you guys expect? Those are all very good games and has anyone seriously played all of them?

So to answer your question, yes it has met my expectation. It met those just with Wii Baseball. I can play that for hours at a time.

[quote name='1modernboy']For the most part: yes. I have a few minor gripes, but nothing that won’t be remedied with time.

On an unrelated note, I must have a Mii version of The Smiths! :D[/quote]

They're yours if you want them.
Add my Wii number thingy.

smiths-Mii.jpg

Pretty much, yes. Haven't been able to play as much as I would have liked, but it's worth the money I paid. Some of the launch games were expectedly less awesome than I would have hoped (namely Rayman and Red Steel), but one can't be greedy. Zelda, Trauma Center, Madden, and Wii Sports have been very positive experiences, while Elebits, Excite Truck, and Metal Slug will be quality future purchases.

I'm not at all impressed, but then, I haven't played one yet.

I don't have a DS either. I guess I'm just jaded after my experiences with the GC.

It's exceeded mine, by far. I thought it would be good, goofy fun, but it's way more than that - the first system in years I absolutely cannot wait to get home and play. Excite Truck, Zelda, Wii Sports...all great titles. Virtual Console is awesome, if stupidly overpriced.

My lone disappointment is the total lack of online play. C'mon, Nintendo, get this going! Especially on the VC stuff - me wants online Pro Wrestling!

RD

it has met mine so far...haven't gotten to play it much (partly due to getting the system to connect to the internet and partly gears of war), but the little I have played I have enjoyed....

I enjoy the Wii, but my family absolutely love it. It has met my expectation as a great 2nd console, with 360 or PS3 being your main console.

Pretty much. Zelda was awesome (2 weeks, 38 hours--by far the fastest I've ever played a game ;) ). Elebits is a lot of fun. Red Steel was fun just didn't full me in real well. Excite Truck was great.

Most of my hopes for the Wii are in the long term at this point, seeing what Nintendo and others can do with the thing. My fear is that we've seen close to everything, my dream is that things will come that we never saw coming (like a lot of DS games were for me).

Once Star Fox 64 hits the VC, I'll be happier. ;)

I am very happy with the Wii so far. Almost all the launch-window games I've bought or been given have been extremely fun and played as I expected them and I wanted them to (Wii Sports, LoZ:TP, Excite Truck, CoD3, MUA, Metal Slug Anth., and the single player in SMB: BB).

More so, it's won over non-gamers in my life who understand my hobby more. My future in-laws (both 57 years old) love Wii Sports and are considering buying a Wii because they had so much fun. My fiancee asks me to bring the Wii over to her house when I come over so we can box, bowl, and play mini-games on monkey ball (the ones that work), and a up-till-now, life-long PC-only gamer played the Wii on 11/19, when I had a game day at my house, and decided to brave the cold overnight to get a Wii in December.

I can't complain about a drought in games, as I haven't completed any of the games I listed above and have GunStar Heroes in the VC that I haven't beaten either. I truly do love playing games on the Wii and try to spend time doing so when I have the free time.

My constructive criticisms for Nintendo, though, are:

1) I agree with RD's comment - Nintendo hasn't released too much about their online gaming plans and Spring is just around the corner - when Battalion Wars II and Super Mario Strikers 2 were rumored to hit. Not everyone wants online gaming, but it has become a standard in today's consoles and I'd like the Big N to launch more games with online play or additional online content soon and hope for a further reaching implementation than the DS so that those that want it (and the 3rd parties who want to use it) can have it.

2) An earlier poster's comment, I think, stated that they hoped the 3rd parties got on the Big N band wagon soon. I would hope after the Wii's quick jump out of the launch gate and the larger, at least perceived, main stream acceptance of the Wii, that all the 3rd parties would jump in on the Wii fever and get away from the sloppy PS2 to Wii ports. Original games or better implementation of controls with ports (Ubi/Splinter Cell Double Agent, I'm looking at you) need to be thought of first and foremost before too much shovelware sets in (where's the Nintendo seal of quality/approval when you need it!)

I've been a little disappointed with the hardware quality, since it seems a bit below Nintendo's generally excellent standards. My Wii has had quite a few issues with freezing up in standby, Wii-motes unsynching, and some minor sluggishness when loading or exiting the Wii Channels. Also, anything that tries to access the Wi-Fi seems to be a total crapshoot, even after changing my router to channel 1. The issues aren't too major, but they're somewhat of a letdown after owning an N64 and GameCube that were as close to perfect as you can get, stability-wise. I get the impression that this hardware/firmware was a little rushed.

On the software front, things have been great, although the reality of a drought is starting to set in. I beat Zelda, but I'm not seeing anything else in the launch lineup that I really want to pay $50 for. (The DS has spoiled me with its cheap games.) The launch lineup could have really benefited from something like Smash Bros., which had tons of replay value to keep people occupied through the first couple months of the GC's game drought. Either that or some good multiplayer VC releases (like Mario Kart 64 in the West).

It exceeded my expectations for garnering interest from non-gamers, namely gf and family. Everyone has a blast and is eager to pick up the wiimote.

It met my expectations for keeping my own interest. Wii Sports, Zelda, Red Steel, SMB:BB, and Elebits are all great fun.

The main disappointment is channel support. Too much they can/could do, but won't/didn't.

All in all, very satisfied with the Wii. Thanks Nintendo, just don't get too cocky again.

[quote name='David85']There is a drought in games and Nintendo isn't stepping up to the plate and releasing VC games that can fill in the gap. Instead they will release lame ass games that no one wants and no one is willing to pay $5 for.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly, sure Warioware is coming out soon and the Wii lineup is cool, thats great, but main reason I bought the Wii was for the virtual console and well the games out now I either have no intrest in or do have some but it isn't enough to put down a solid amound of points for them.

Pretty confident yes.

Tho Zelda TP a great adventure, I honestly do sort of agree with critics that consider it half-part cube game. But the Wii succeeds in my mind entirely on the merit of Wii Sports, which is utterly refreshing and revolutionary.

I come back again and again for Wii Sports, even tho nearly all of them rely heavily on "timing," the interface gives these games incredible replayability.

My worry is also with Wii's online future... I hope Nintendo really steps up to the competition one way or another, but I wonder if the wiimote's high sensitivity makes it harder to implement in an online environment?

[quote name='Shion']My worry is also with Wii's online future... I hope Nintendo really steps up to the competition one way or another, but I wonder if the wiimote's high sensitivity makes it harder to implement in an online environment?[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't matter in VC titles...this, I think, would be the perfect way for them to test the waters with their online work. Still, I can't believe that consoles have had online since the Dreamcast (and before, if you want to get really technical), and Wii doesn't have it ready to roll, head to head, out of the box. That's a real shame. I can only imagine the fun in a Wii Bowling League...8)

RD

The Wii has generally exceeded all my expectstions for it. I love the wiimote, I love Wiisports and Zelda, and Im excited for the future. And ALL consoles experience a lack of quality games right after launch.

I cant wait for full fledged sports games that take advantage of wiimote controls. And I NEVER play sports games. But just the thought of a wiimote controlled Fight Night game, and a MLB licensed baseball game have me excited.

I think that many people who are dissapointed maybe expect too much from Nintendo. Anyone who expected online multiplayer with every game at launch, and 150 VC games available at launch with added features clearly doesnt know Nintendo.

Nintendo: They rarely give you everything you want, but you still love what they do give you.

I would say I'm very happy with it. I think it's still got a lot of untapped potential -- there are a lot more that can be done with the Mii Channel, and we're still waiting on a lot of the killer titles. Also, I have yet to see a whole lot of great third-party titles, except for maybe Rayman. There are a lot of good games, but not so many great yet. I guess I'm just hoping there will be a lot more quantity of games to choose from once third parties see the rate at which these things are selling, but I'm not worried.

I can find a healthy dose of replay value in TP alone. It's better than shelling out $640 w/ tax for a Rolex (PS3) and living on :spam: just to recoup expenses.

I like the system but for some reason I was expecting more. Its only 2 months so I know that my complaints will fade as developers get more time with the controller. As of now my favorite system is PS3 follow really close by the Wii.

I had been clamoring for a Wii for months and failed to get one before Christmas. I did manage to find one at a TRU on the Thursday after.

I suffered a bit from buyer's remorse until I set it up and started making Mii's with my kids. That alone was a total hoot! Then we started with Wii Sports. At my brother-in-law's house we played Wii Sports with four generations of the family. It was a blast then, but just as much fun when I had my own.

After Wii Sports me and my kids got into the games we bought: Dragonball Z, Rayman and Zelda. I can't drag anyone off the Wii with their respective games. All great fun and I can't wait for the next round of games we get. I will be getting Madden, Trauma Center and Elebits for sure. I might wait for price drops before I do. I will even get Red Steel when it hits bargain bin status.

The only game I'm dying to try is Metroid Prime 3. If Retro can pull off Wii controls for games as great as MP1 and MP2, MP3 will be incredible.

[quote name='Puffa469']The Wii has generally exceeded all my expectstions for it. I love the wiimote, I love Wiisports and Zelda, and Im excited for the future. And ALL consoles experience a lack of quality games right after launch.

I think that many people who are dissapointed maybe expect too much from Nintendo. Anyone who expected online multiplayer with every game at launch, and 150 VC games available at launch with added features clearly doesnt know Nintendo.

Nintendo: They rarely give you everything you want, but you still love what they do give you.[/QUOTE]

Well, as you allude, that's more an issue with the expectations rather than the company. Xbox LIVE took a year to get off the ground -- I see no reason to think Nintendo would pull off something comparable right out of the box. XBLA has about 50 arcade games (admittedly, with online play in most cases -- achievements barely count, for the amout of programming they entail) after a year. After two months, VC has ... 30ish? What giant piles of AAA games were people playing for the first six months of the 360, exactly? Over in PS3-ville?

It'd be one thing to hold everyone to these standards, but people are absolutely bitching just to bitch (or be bitches, more accurately). It's asinine, frankly.

I will say that the wii-mote speaker is quite a bit worse than I expected. I wasn't looking for Dolby Digital in my hand ... just a speaker that doesn't make everything sound garbled and tinny. I can only hope that's addressed in some kind of "wii-bird" down the road.

Also, off-topic, but I've been meaning to say this forever: Santo y Blue Demon contra Dracula y the Wolfman rocks socks.

WrestleCrap'sRD;2539336]My lone disappointment is the total lack of online play. C'mon said:
The lack of online is a *severe* disappointment, IMO. On the plus side, they have implemented the "one friend code per console," rather than per title. That saves a lot of unnecessary frustration.

Also, you frequently mention wanting to see VC games go onine; I'm not yet sure that we'll ever see VC titles updated beyond what they were at launch (a la XBLA). I don't recall them promising or stating that the VC would do anything but play the games as they originally played. It would be a major addition, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Besides, you don't want to see the damage I can do to you with King Slender.

I think the Wii has a lot of promise. I also think it's too early to declare that I'm satisfied or dissatisfied with it. I can see why people really like it, and I can also see where people see room for improvement, and I can see where people can express disappointment with developers like Ubisoft, who (Red Steel aside) see the Wii, at the moment, as a place to dump lackluster ports of titles with updated control schemes (e.g., Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia).

They have exceeded my expectations with the VC for certain. Sure, I don't much care for the prices. However, consistently updating the offerings every Monday (even a crappy one like this week) shows us the commitment they have to delivering content. I don't get people's argument about the game selection, because half of the fun is the anticipation (what's coming out next week???); if Nintendo "blew their wad" early on, that would be killed. Nintendo wants to keep our eyes (and, more importantly, our wallets) directed at the VC for *years* to come, and I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see some major titles strategically witheld to spurn interest in the Wii in the coming years when sales slumps occur. They're keeping the systems pretty spread out in terms of content (save for the lonely N64 game, but be patient).

It's a great system thus far; let's see how we feel about it in a year's time.

One thing I really resent is the praise lumped on Zelda. It's surely a great game (I'm going to start it soon enough), but I don't look at it as a "Wii" game. It is a GameCube title updated to play on the Wii, with the only difference being the control scheme. If we (some, anyway) can grouse about Ubisoft giving us Prince of Persia with Wii controls, why the Zelda love, when it is essentially doing the same thing? Nintendo is by no means the first company to rerelease exact titles on new systems (I'm lookin' at you fuckers, Capcom, and your tens of millions of Resident Evils). I find the treatment of Zelda as a "Wii launch title" as the same thing if, say, Square-Enix put Final Fantasy Xii on a PS3 disc and called it a launch title. Both are surely fantastic games. But I don't think it is exemplary of what the Wii can and will do.

It's meeting my expectations, but they weren't that high to begin with.

Wii Sports is quality fun with friends, and Zelda is entertaining when I'm by my lonesome. That being said, there are zero games on the immediate horizon that really appeal to me for more than $15. No online, no HD graphics, no way this will ever be my primary console.

Can' t call it yet, I don't have one, and I don't even want to play one until I can do so in my own home.

Maybe in another 2 months I'll be able to tell you.

On a side note I've already got an extra controller and nunchuck and Zelda. C'mon Best Buy, stock up already!

as a party machine and as gateway to nongamers it's destroyed the high expectations I already had.
As others have said, the VC is disappointing, it needs online play or at least high score tables (I remember sending in high scores to Nintendo Power, especially for those games that didn't have points and was just finished)
I would like to be able to record and share videos, speed runs
and when mario kart 64 comes down the pipes, I needs to race other wii owners
seeing as how most launches have few games to tide things over those first few months, my expectations are met, where companies go with the controls and where nintendo goes with the vc, will make the difference between this system being truly phenomenal or not.

bread's done
Back