2 New DS Lites. Dead Pixels. Feel Discouraged

Gourd

CAGiversary!
Generally feeling discouraged as... 130 dollars is a lot of money for me. Just hoping I can get a little encouragement here.

... I have an overseas trip coming up, so I thought I would upgrade my trusty old Blue DS to a DS Lite.

Longer Battery life. Lighter. Brighter, more crisp screens! A perfect upgrade, and I have tons of fun with my small DS library.

So, on impulse, I bought an Onyx DS earlier today. BEFORE I paid for it at EB, I asked the manager if it would be a hassle to return it if it had dead pixels. I'm not generally the kind of person who ever has to return game systems, and I don't want to be that guy who annoys the game store employees. He assured me that returning it would be no problem.

I get home. Insert Meteos...

A vibrantly blue stuck pixel just to the right of the center of the touch screen. Very distracting.

I jump back into the car, and drive another twenty miles back to the store. I return it, chat with the employees nervously, trying to reassure them that I'm not a 'problem customer.'

... Get home, after the store has closed for the night.

Dead greyish white pixel, /closer/ to the center of the touch screen on this one. Even more distracting than the first DS. Noticed it on the screen that pops up during the initial configuration. Where you select English as your language?

I'm not generally a whiner but... dead pixels near the dead center kind of ruin the gaming experience for me. The screen is so small as is.

Not really up for a fight with the game staff tomorrow. I'm going to see if they will simply give me a full refund, as I don't want to have to return it a third time. If that doesn't work, I was wondering if I can be assured that Nintendo will send me a FULLY functional DS if I send this one in for repair?

Have any of you used their warranty service and got a DS back that /wasn't/ perfect?

Just keep returning it but check it in the store when you get a new one. The units should have juice in them or you can just plug it in there.

This is EBGames for chrissake. If they give you a problem take a shit right there in the store.

Nintendo will fix it for free if it has dead/stuck pixels. Fear not and enjoy the benefits of one of the few companies left with really good customer service.

However, I might suggest living with it through your trip as I'm not sure what the turn around time might be.

there was a thread earlier about it, but you can get dead pixels unstuck by flashing the screen different colors in rapid succession. but you need to be able to run homebrew to do it

Ebgamestop should really have a DS cart on hand that can do that flashing trick.

To the OP; try the next DS in the store as suggested.

Anyone know if airlines let you have portable electonic devices on planes any more? I haven't flown since they banned makeup and fruit drinks.....might be a consideration for an overseas trip.

[quote name='chakan']I haven't flown since they banned makeup and fruit drinks.....might be a consideration for an overseas trip.[/quote]Whoa, when did that happen?

yeah, dead pixels are annoying, but they happen and you just have to deal with them. you should be happy youre able to return it at the store becaue they dont have to take them back.

Whoa, when did that happen?

A few weeks ago, when the British foiled an attempted plane hijacking. They're wary of people sneaking bomb components (including explosive liquids).

To the OP, I'd try exchanging again, at a different GameStop if you have to. And I've heard nothing but good things about Nintendo's warranty service.

I'd test the next one in store as has been suggested. Just make sure you are happy before you leave to save yourself from running back and forth.

[quote name='chakan']
Anyone know if airlines let you have portable electonic devices on planes any more? I haven't flown since they banned makeup and fruit drinks.....might be a consideration for an overseas trip.[/QUOTE]

I flew a few days after all of that broke and electronics weren't a problem. Brought a DS lite, cell phone, iPod, few other things in my carry-on. The only place they were ever banned AFAIK is flights originating FROM the UK. But certainly double check if you have a flight.

Still only liquids and gels banned for most any other flight. If you are flying international I'd call the airline as the TSA site will only deal with flights originating from the US, unless I'm mistaken. But I think the UK is the only country that put up the really restrictive rules.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Nintendo sent me 3 DS Lites and everytime they came back worse than the last. They do not check for anything there, they just throw in another model. Complete garbage. Keep returning it until you get one. It is the only way.

Does anyone consider this a dead pixel issue:
White pixels on a black backround. I seem to see this on all DS no matter what.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Nintendo sent me 3 DS Lites and everytime they came back worse than the last. They do not check for anything there, they just throw in another model. Complete garbage. Keep returning it until you get one. It is the only way.

Does anyone consider this a dead pixel issue:
White pixels on a black backround. I seem to see this on all DS no matter what.[/quote]

That sucks. I just sent mine yesterday for a stuck green pixel on the top screen.

[quote name='chakan']
Anyone know if airlines let you have portable electonic devices on planes any more? I haven't flown since they banned makeup and fruit drinks.....might be a consideration for an overseas trip.[/QUOTE]

Well, I just returned on a cross country flight. No problems with using electronic devices. Liquids, as you mentioned, however, cannot be taken into the cabin with you in your carry on luggage or on your person. On one of my connecting flights, the TSA was doing random searches to make sure noone was sneaking that stuff on.

The Wife flew over to Ireland recently, and had no problems with taking her electronic stuff and using it on the plane.

... I'm due to fly to Germany in a couple of weeks, and I can't sleep on planes. Hoping to get this DS problem sorted out before then, as I like to pack light for my carry on luggage. Two books, and the DS would be ideal...

Edited to add:

Finally got one that is perfect! Well. Perfect for gaming. It has few minor scratches on the exterior of the game unit, but no dead pixels. The EB employees acted like I was being an unreasonable jerk (which is why, as time passes, I buy things in brick and mortar less and less often), but I insisted that either I get a refund, or I be allowed to /open/ one to make sure it works.

[quote name='Gourd']The EB employees acted like I was being an unreasonable jerk (which is why, as time passes, I buy things in brick and mortar less and less often), but I insisted that either I get a refund, or I be allowed to /open/ one to make sure it works.[/quote]well it'd be a whole lot more difficult to get a good DS if you didn't buy it b&m

my black ds lite had 2 dead pixels so i went back to frys to exchange it.

after half an hour (being sent area to area), finally got another one...but i ended up exchanging that one too, the bottom screen wouldn't turn on.

the 3rd one i got however, is perfect, and i'm happy once again...

Well I just got a black ds yesterday and I had dead pixels on each screen (thats what I get for bugging my wife for one, heh :) ). I called the store and they said just bring it back.

Also is the gamestop ds lite warranty worth it?

Got a new one from Nintendo today, and found two stuck pixels. One red and one blue. I think I'm getting the full spectrum of stuck pixels here!

I guess I'll call Nintendo again. Here's hoping third time's a charm! :pray:

Picked mine up today. Luckily no dead pixels. I asked the guy at the store if I could try it there and see if it had deap pixels and he said no and that they don't fix that. So I just took it home and hoped for the best. Time to dig that old thread for covers and screen protectors now, the Onyx one sure does attract fingerprints.

[quote name='ryosnk']Well I just got a black ds yesterday and I had dead pixels on each screen (thats what I get for bugging my wife for one, heh :) ). I called the store and they said just bring it back.

Also is the gamestop ds lite warranty worth it?[/quote]if you take care of your ds you won't need it for the warranty. but if you think you might want a different color ds, you're basically renting the ds for $20 for up to a year. it was definately worth it for the white ds, since i traded it in for a black/pink one this week.

bread's done
Back