$20 ESPN NFL 2k5 vs $50 Madden 2005: A CAG shopping poll

ESPN, just because I'm not a big fan of shelling out $50 EVERY year for Hockey, Baseball and Football and I might pick up a basketball game this year with those prices. For $19.99 Sega has made my dreams come true, although I will probably still purchase MVP over Baseball 2k5 next yeear, MVP really impressed me this year. I think EA has something with their MVP Baseball series now, and I'm going to find it hard for ESPN to win me over in their baseball department outside of the price tag.

But for football the obvious choice for me is NFL2k5.

My money go to ESPN NBA 2k5 & NHL 2k5 but not NFL 2k5 cuz i can't play football :(

Also, I'll pickup MVP whenever it goes under $15 ;)

I've always preferred the Sega NFL game over Madden, so this one is a no brainer for me. The last time I bought a football game was 2k3, and I was becoming frustrated because it seemed like the same game as 2k1 on Dreamcast to me. But this year's is such an improvement.

Not only did I buy NFL 2k5, but I'll be buying the NBA game for sure...and likely the NHL game as well.

I already have invested too much in Madden over the years, ESPN 2K5 being able to be released at $19.99 shows that they are able to lower the price and still turn a nice profit!

If madden wanted to blow away espn 2k5 they wouldn't have a collectors edition for $60. They are just money hungry and are really starting to divide their audience.....I've had every madden since the first one on genesis. This year I switched to 2k5. If Madden is 30 or less I will consider purchasing it, but it fires me up that they remove a few extras from their game and then put out a collectors edtion with these features for more money. I hope that idea flops badly. Matter of fact I don't think i will purchase madden this year. I don't want to suppor the idea of having a collectors edition. Plus when football season is over, game stores still will not accept the collectors edition, and if they do, don't plan on getting more than $5 credit for it. Let me ask a question to everyone.......you think this game will be worth more as the years go on? Collectors edition sports games...what an oxymoron.

No choice but Madden.

Its actually funny cause the last football game I bought was 2k3 for the Gamecube when it was on sale at TRU for $9.99, and I liked it much more than Madden 2002. I need a new football game though (2k3 didn't age very well, but then again most sports games don't) and Madden is the only Football game on the Gamecube.

If Sega would wise up and put their $20 sports titles on the Gamecube, I would buy them in a heartbeat because I have no real allegiance to any game/company (err lie I guess..), I just don't want to have to pay $50 for a sports game. I was going to do the target raincheck thing but our Target happens to have plenty of the games on sale so no luck that route and I got shot down trying to do the various trade in offers for Madden.

As much as I like ESPN 2k5, I bet when Madden comes out it won't be filled with bugs like friggin ESPN is.

i have the game since launch and have not had any bugs or any problems .what annoys me is that the worst systems and sometimes bad games sell well because we have the casual gamers that buy them and in return ruin the game market because its become what ever sells gets copied the most.best example grand theft auto . and true crime as for madden for me the last few yrs madden has been the same no major improvements and working for a gamestop as i do i have learned to hate ea because of there snottynezz i hope sega really does well with this and really hurts maddens sales and converts some madden people towards espn and help them see the light. and from the customers i have spoken to they will still buy madden over ea just because it has ea on it. maybe the customers should notice the curse the madden series carries with all its cover people before it happens to them as well lol .

I'm going Madden again this year. I have played both in the past, and just can't find myself buying Sega. Call me a fanboy or whatever, but I just prefer Madden.

I'm not a huge sports game fan, but I will probably be picking up all the Sega sports games this year, even NBA 2K5 even though I haven't played a basketball game since Lakers vs. Celtics, and haven't watched a live basketball game in about as long of a time.

I have always loved EA games, going back to the Genesis days. But because they refused to do the Live support on Xbox, I haven't bought a football game in a long time. This year I was finally going to get Madden, but the $19.95 price of NFL 2K5 got me to check out reviews and I decided to give the game a try, figuring I'd probably just buy them both.

Now that I am playing it, there's no way I'm going to buy Madden. Visually, 2K5 is a feast...not just the gameplay but the entire ESPN presentation is amazing and really adds to the entertainment value. I recorded a game demo and brought it in to work on DVD and everyone who saw it was just stunned. It's the best $19.95 game I've ever bought, and if the price goes up next year, I'd buy it again for $50.

If Madden had offered Live support before now, I'd probably still be loyal to EA. But NFL 2K5 has won me over completely, and I'll be buying every single 2K5 ESPN sports title this year. I'm really glad I had an open mind about 2K5, because now I'm hooked.

I'm not a sports videogame fan but I am a football fan. It was the price drop and the good reviews that won me over. I've been playing it and now since I am sort of over the learning curve, I'm an really enjoying it.

I don't see myself buying madden though. i already have too many games that I haven't played yet (Thanks to the Circuit City $4.99 deal)

[quote name='DJSteel']why don't people wait till the game is released before voting....geez so much hating and Madden ain't even out yet[/quote]

According to every review I've read of Madden 2005, it's the same exact game as last year. So technically it's been out for a year now.

My vote for Madden is swayed because I'm a Gamecube owner. Although I am really, really thinking of getting a XBox or PS2 soon.

Wow! There are a lot of cheapasses here! :lol: I'm going to get both because I love football games and can't stand not getting the new ones when they come out each year. The only one I usally don't buy is Gameday and they aren't coming out with one this year anyway. I would've bought Fever if they would've continued it too.

nneace wrote:

i wonder how much sega is actually making per game sold? or are they simply breaking even?

they will make in the millions due to the amount sold in the US alone. But will also get there name out there for the long run. good strategy against madden :wink:

I'm getting both I traded 5 CC games so Madden costs me 25. I like ESPN alot this year but for single player I wouldn't spend 5 dollars on 2k5. The multiplayer in both games will be fun and have lots of users. What kills ESPN to me is the franchise mode it's just not entertaining I don't like taking 10 minutes to set up a totally menu based team work out schedule each week, I also being a fantasy draft player hate that the draft for the game has no ages listed for players(are they even anywhere in the game???). I think i will end up playing alot of both games with espn being my online pick and madden dominating the offline stuff. All in all that is fine by me after all i am getting 2 games for 45 bucks thank you CC and Sega. :twisted:

I've been playing Madden since way back in the Genesis days, and the only other football game I ever played since Madden came on the scene was NFL 2K because it was a Dreamcast launch title.

Having said that, I think I'm jumping to 2K5 this year. The price is too good to pass up, and everything I hear about 2K5 makes it that much sweeter. I don't even usually buy hockey or basketball games, but I'll probably pick up their NHL and NBA games at that price as well.

The Official Xbox Magazine gave Madden NFL 2005 a score of 9.1 out of 10. They gave Espn NFL 2K5 a 9.3 out of 10.

I'm in the minority of getting both games....Madden Collector's Edition version (helps that I capitilized on the EB deal)....I've got ESPN for both systems but haven't even opened them yet.

[quote name='ex0']I might get NFL 2k5 because of the price, however my sports game interest has been low this generation of consoles.[/quote]

Same here. I used to be big into console football, not so much nowadays. But $20 bucks? Jeez, even a non-fan can get some enjoyment for $20. I still have about 12 left over on a Eb Edge card. Now the only question is, do I buy NFL 2K5 or the Mega Man Anniversary Collection ???

I'm not getting either since I''ve zero interest in sports titles but I admire what Sega is doing. I hope they have the strength of conviction to not base everything on one year's results. Madden will still be the 800-pound gorilla this year but Sega has an excellent chance to pick up a huge amount of brand awareness and be positioned for a closer battle next year if they stick by the pricing strategy.

yes, sega should set out an espn college game. that is the only reason i used to go to easports is the NCAA seris, which i might add, was damn smooth in 2004. i can't say the same for 2005, which i heard really sucks. madden was nice back in around 2002 or so, but it's been getting more from the simulation to the... no better way to put this... 'gangster' type.... the music, having michael vick and ray lewis on the cover, they've really taken away the simualtion of the game that we had back in the day... NFL 2k5 has just about done everything right in my mind... 20 bucks, you really can't go wrong

[quote name='sbaitso']yes, sega should set out an espn college game. that is the only reason i used to go to easports is the NCAA seris, which i might add, was damn smooth in 2004. i can't say the same for 2005, which i heard really sucks. madden was nice back in around 2002 or so, but it's been getting more from the simulation to the... no better way to put this... 'gangster' type.... the music, having michael vick and ray lewis on the cover, they've really taken away the simualtion of the game that we had back in the day... NFL 2k5 has just about done everything right in my mind... 20 bucks, you really can't go wrong[/quote]

You Sir are a racist. Because Madden put the best player at the position they picked in there opinion on the box they are "gangsterizing" the game, last I checked Terrel Owens is a loud mouth who will flaunt his skills much like a Vick or Lewis unless your saying because they're black which is a topic i would rather avoid talking to you about. On top of that let me just tell you how "gangster" New Found Glory, Midtown, Franz Ferdinan, Earshot, Faith No More, Hoobastank, and Green day are(that is not all the rock in madden 05 either). All these gangsters going to their emo punk shows what is the world coming to? Climb out from under your rock and stop generalizing things.

Believe it or not they covered this on CNBC. The analyst opinion (I think Morgan Stanley or Prudential) is that

1-The $20 price point may actually hurt the game sales as people may see it as an inferior game

2-Madden is so deeply entrenched (it is in Canton) that if anything people may spend an extra $20 to get the ESPN title.

Also ESPN is very fortunate that NFL Blitz decided to put out games only every few years as gameplay remains pretty constant, and Sony took the year off to vastly improve thier game. It may be much harder even with a $20 price point next year if Blitz, Gameday, Espn, and whatever else come out.

That is the analyst opinion--please don't kill the messenger. As for my opinion on a site called cheap ass gamer the poll is pretty useless....of course we are all gonna vote ESPN. I got mine with two trade-ins...was ready to actually pay $20 for it--was gonna wait for madden to hit $7 in like 6mos--two days later I preordered Madden. Have bought it every year for every system--too used to the gameplay and the buttons....hell every time I wanted to run Mcnabb I kept hitting the triangle (throws to Y receiver). My opinion--Madden is going to demolish ESPN. ESPN is a good game but it is going to take a few years to compete with madden.

Last note--ESPN is worth having just for the first person football--pretty cool

Both. I also enjoyed Madden over the years. I also enjoyed the 2K series when it came out on Dreamcast. So Ipicked up ESPN for Xbox and Madden Collectors Edition for PS2. Both games have there good points and there bad. But both titles are still excellent football games

any true hardcore football fan (not videogame player) who knows how real football is played and plays real football will pick up madden, ive played both but madden is just better

I picked neither. I picked up ESPN 2k5 and thought it was fun, but I got bored of it real quick. Same thing happend to me for Madden last year. I probably won't be picking up a football game next year. I use to just play football games all the time but these last 2 years, I've been burned out of them real quick. They seem too easy, and yes even on the most difficult level. I wish I had Live, but I can't get it out here.

I just played the old school Madden from the Collectors Edition. Madden '93 I think. Boy was that nostalgia there. Haven't played the regular game yet. Too bad they don't have the old versions online that would've been cool. Anyone else get their copy yet?

[quote name='"TheUnsane1"']
You Sir are a racist. [/quote] hey, first of all, why is it people always put the rascism tag on shit like this... well, i can figure out one reason, liberals, but that is another topic... there are pleny of white gangsters out there... and when i say gangster look at what ray lewis does before football games... he sits there and dances for like 2 minutes... it's so stupid, that's what is wrong with the game, as in the real game... i don't have any problem with michael vick or ray lewis being black, hell i loved barry sanders, i think michael vick is an extrodinary athlete... i think jamal lewis is one of the best running backs in the league, but i also have the right to say that quincy carter sucks, not becuse he's black, but because he sucks... hell, if they'd put brian urlacher, the white of white on the cover, i'd be bitching because he sucks... get your head out of your a$$ and we'll talk.. or not.

I own ESPN 2k5. All I can say is wow. When i get tired of playing football I head back to my Crib and relax with a game of darts with my girlfriend.

Played my first game of Madden 05 today....threw for 8 TD and over 600 Yards. Played as Colts, against Eagles. I scored 61 pts. Couldnt kick darn EXtra Points to save my life.

Way to easy. Ill take ESPN for $20 any day. Looks better, runs smoother, plays faster. Not to mentions tackles look better, and more animations. Far superior game.

BTW difficulty was set to the standard setting.

The fact of the matter is that for the hardcore football fan Madden is really the only option. All those casual gamers that float to Madden like lemmings are people I end up playing. So if I want to interact with them and be able to compete I have to get Madden.

That said I got both, Both have their good points, but Madden just feels right. Probably just because of too many years playing it.

i have played extensively espn 2k5... and the biggest gripe is their buttons are not as nicely placed as maddens.. i know they are almost identical, but somehow they screw it up a bit... plus, the crib is a waste of time... VIP is nice, but not too usefull... passing the ball is waaaay too easy even on top diff. level... if you have played madden in the past, stick with it... espn is not taking over YET... but very soon it will be better... madden is just too clean to not be top dog.. announcers suck in ESPN 2k5 also, they say the same stuff... especailly on punts... "it's like tearing a page out of war and peace"... plus, who are these no-names?

At the very least, if you at all interested in football video games you should pick up the ESPN 2k5 version. To send a message to the videogame companies that a budget title with high production values will sell very well. Had ESPN been complete crap then I could see boycotting it completely. But I have to admit it rocks. Who knows maybe next year EA will drop the price of Madden drastically, to get closer to Sega's price.

bread's done
Back