$20 Monster Hunter Tri Bundle with Classic Controller at Walmart but YMMV

mistermeemee

CAG Veteran
I was in a Wal-mart in Alabama the other day and I found a copy of the Monster Hunter Tri bundle with the classic controller for only $20.00 brand new. It's definitely a YMMV. The website even acknowledges that prices may vary in stores. Still, it's worth looking into just in case. It was cheaper than the individual game was. Here's the Wal-mart link so you can search your nearest location that carries it if you are interested.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Monster-Hunter-Tri-Bundle-with-classic-controller-Wii-Wii/13934836

My friend bought a copy and he doesn't even own a Wii. But he figured it would be a great starter since he plans on getting one eventually.

i played the demo of it. the game looks bad and plays pretty bad. i dont know why it got a high score and sold tons of copies in japan.

[quote name='trunks982']i played the demo of it. the game looks bad and plays pretty bad. i dont know why it got a high score and sold tons of copies in japan.[/QUOTE]
It's not that it plays bad, it's more like the control scheme is set up to allow a ton of actions with as few buttons as possible. Moreover, it adds to the mastery of the game and it plays into strategies for slaying the vast variety of beasts. Think of it as a hardcore investment, a la MMO variety, that was intended to be difficult. It really is a fantastic series. I haven't played the Wii version yet, but I've invest some time into Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and I understand why the game is so fun and unique.

[quote name='trunks982']i played the demo of it. the game looks bad and plays pretty bad. i dont know why it got a high score and sold tons of copies in japan.[/QUOTE]

It has a tremendous learning curve and it's an OCD collect-fest, but it's a game where you can see your progress very clearly. When a monster that wiped you out earlier in the game goes down in a couple of minutes, it's tremendously satisfying.

[quote name='Chikyujin']It has a tremendous learning curve and it's an OCD collect-fest, but it's a game where you can see your progress very clearly. When a monster that wiped you out earlier in the game goes down in a couple of minutes, it's tremendously satisfying.[/QUOTE]
It not only has a learning curve with just the interaction, but each different type of weapon you find will require new timings.

And Chikyujin's right: when you come back with better gear (and better skills) and down that son of a ^%$#@ in just over a minute (as opposed to many agonizing, by the skin of my teeth minutes) it's neat sense of accomplishment.

I played a good 24h of this game until I went on vacation last year and forgot how to play whilst away. I should get back into it.

I actually asked to have the regular version and bundled price checked yesterday at my walmart, and they were regular priced.

If anyone finds this for $20, please post the store it was found at in this thread. Walmarts do price match. I checked at my own, and they said to tell them what store it was found at the low price and they would probably match it. I've been wanting this game and the controller, so this would be a great find!

Site shows stock at a couple stores in my area, but Chelmsford, MA rang up 39.96. I'll have to check some other locations during the week.

[quote name='zubalove']If anyone finds this for $20, please post the store it was found at in this thread. Walmarts do price match. I checked at my own, and they said to tell them what store it was found at the low price and they would probably match it. I've been wanting this game and the controller, so this would be a great find![/QUOTE]
You have a leniant store then. It's very dependent on the managers whether they will price match another Wal-Mart.
Official policy states: "It is not our policy to price match our own stores or our online service since we are not in competition with ourselves."
http://walmartstores.com/317.aspx#Price_Difference_Between_Stores

[quote name='zubalove']If anyone finds this for $20, please post the store it was found at in this thread. Walmarts do price match. I checked at my own, and they said to tell them what store it was found at the low price and they would probably match it. I've been wanting this game and the controller, so this would be a great find![/QUOTE]

Did you say you were going to pricematch another walmart or another store? I've heard about some lenient walmarts, but I live too close to their headquarters for any of that to work. They usually ask for a physical ad or send you up to the CS desk because they have all the ads from the sunday paper.

I always get my hopes up but my local walmart never has any good deals. Only time I find good deals at Walmart is when they are listed online and I do site to store.

bread's done
Back