20% off Half Price Books Thursday - Monday (2/15)

I think it actually works out to 60%, since percentages applied in order are not themselves additive. :p

[quote name='amphigorey']I think it actually works out to 60%, since percentages applied in order are not themselves additive. :p[/QUOTE]

Touche. :applause: I was considering that myself, but I didn't want to have to explain it.

[quote name='Optical']how do you get the 50% off?[/QUOTE]

I think they were making a joke about it being "Half Price Books" aka 50% off books, plus 20% off coupon.

[quote name='josh62488']i was unaware of this...where are the games usually located?[/QUOTE]

Video games are typically in the "software" section of the store, although it varies a little bit. They also sell DVDs, CDs, Vinyl, and of course books. With this coupons you can get a lot of books in their clearance section for like $0.80.

Just got this in my e-mail a bit ago and was about to post it. Thanks however BudzMcGee for getting this posted here on CAG. Gonna pick up some nice vinyl records during this sale. :drool:

[quote name='Freeisgood']can you buy used pc games? Can the key be used again?[/QUOTE]

They do sell used PC games, and this is a general coupon (not person exclusive). So there shouldn't be a problem using it every day of the promotion at every HPB store in your area. The coupons is off your entire purchase though, so it's not like you'd have to use one coupon for one item, pay, use a 2nd for a 2nd item and so on.

Here is the photo from the e-mail:
hpb945-021110_r2_c1.gif

PC Games used are hit or miss. For the most part they are cool, but with the digital age and the registering of keys for online play it gets trickier.

I bought red orchestra used the other day and had to return it cause the scammer had registered his key on steam and then sold it back.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']PC Games used are hit or miss. For the most part they are cool, but with the digital age and the registering of keys for online play it gets trickier.

I bought red orchestra used the other day and had to return it cause the scammer had registered his key on steam and then sold it back.[/QUOTE]

Arent there some cases when you can use the same key more than once. We bought sims3 and installed it on two computers and it worked. SO are you saying some can only be used once?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']PC Games used are hit or miss. For the most part they are cool, but with the digital age and the registering of keys for online play it gets trickier.

I bought red orchestra used the other day and had to return it cause the scammer had registered his key on steam and then sold it back.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that sucks. Damn DRM. It's weird the shit DRM is making people leaving PC gaming, or at least pirate PC games, but the awesomeness of steam is making people stay with PC gaming, or at least pay for it.

No one is leaving PC gaming. PC gaming isn't dead. Stop buying into all that propaganda bullshit.

25 million active accounts on Steam with 2 million active users at any time. This of course doesn't include MMORPGs, other digital distributers such as Stardock Impulse and EA Download Manager, and people who only buy physical copies.

Honestly this piracy propaganda has been around since 1995:
http://www.astonisher.com/archives/bugnet/analysis/feb_95_column.html

It's never been an issue and this is never going to change.

[quote name='Tancred']No one is leaving PC gaming. PC gaming isn't dead. Stop buying into all that propaganda bullshit.

25 million active accounts on Steam with 2 million active users at any time. This of course doesn't include MMORPGs, other digital distributers such as Stardock Impulse and EA Download Manager, and people who only buy physical copies.

Honestly this piracy propaganda has been around since 1995:
http://www.astonisher.com/archives/bugnet/analysis/feb_95_column.html

It's never been an issue and this is never going to change.[/QUOTE]

Woah there cowboy. I never said PC gaming was dying, I just said DRM is driving away customers since its treating the customers like thiefs. While the awesomeness of steam, and that super huge deal it had during the christmas season, was keeping them there(being PC gaming).

[quote name='Freeisgood']Arent there some cases when you can use the same key more than once. We bought sims3 and installed it on two computers and it worked. SO are you saying some can only be used once?[/QUOTE]

It is not all games. If you have a game that is not online then you should be fine even used because all you need is a CD key.

The problem is so many games nowadays have an online component. In the case of Red Orchestra I could play the single player, but I would not be able to use the multiplayer at all because of the key already registered which really sucked. I would not be allowed multiplayer or be able to register through steam so I could get the mods for Red Orchestra, which is a reason I wanted it.

So for things like COunter Strike, or anything Valve related I would not buy online. I had an issue with another game before too, it installed fine but my key was already in use in the multiplayer so I could not play it.

For those interested, HFBs usually has a ton of the stuff you could see on sale at GoGamer or online for cheap and brand new. Things I have seen:

Crystasis (8 bucks)
Men of War (8 bucks)
Mercenaries 2 (6 bucks)
World of Goo (6 bucks)
1701 AD (8 bucks)
Two Worlds (8 bucks)

etc. etc.

You can find decent new games for under 10 bucks and even sweeter with the coupon. Sometimes they have random 1 games on clearance. I recently picked up Infernal for $1.00 - the game sucks by all accounts, but it was worth a gamble for 1 buck brand new.

My local half-price books is really out of the way and I never go there, but I'm going over the weekend to see if I can get World of Goo. :bouncy:

HPB does tend to have a relatively large amount of PC games, and usually at a good price (I don't game at all on PC but I have noticed this), at least the ones in the Milwaukee area do. As for consoles it varies, and usually it is a lot of last gen stuff. They take anything though, so it's not out of the question to find Sega genesis, Super Nintendo, N64 etc. there too. And yes, check clearance sections for games, HPB seems to base their clearance on stock more than on what sells so you never know what you'll find for under $3.

Also, just a reminder, this coupon is only for Thursday-Monday.

Also, HBP prices depend on managers. Some places will be jerks and price their stuff according to amazon prices. I saw a boxed Dracula: Bloodlines priced at 49.99 the other day. Others will be a bit less jerkish and sometimes you will find a good deal. I do find that portable carts and games are not very common there for some reason.

Also, if you find something collectible priced crazy high, they do 50% off one item coupons a few times a year so you might wait til then and get it for halfway decent.

^ Yeah. One store routinely puts "compared to the eBay price of..." on their games, CDs, or DVD sets locked in a glass cabinet. Some of their prices are insane.

[quote name='riddler']Anyone find anything worthwhile? They don't have any locations near me.[/QUOTE]

Hit or miss really, but a few days ago I found a mint Tales of Vesperia guide for $5. Picked up a sealed World of Goo also for like $7. My best find though was a Nocturne guide for $10. It was so mint that I thought it was a reprint.

As for games, I've seen everything from the current consoles to the Magnavox Odyssey (they had over 30 cartridges) at the HPBs here.

Thanks for the bump, BudzMcGee. This is a pretty good coupon as it's 20% off your total rather than their usual coupons of 30-50% off of one item.

I used to love half price books when I was a kid. I finally moved to another area with them in them and wow, disappointing. Everything is so overpriced even with the %20 off.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Just got this in my e-mail a bit ago and was about to post it. Thanks however BudzMcGee for getting this posted here on CAG. Gonna pick up some nice vinyl records during this sale. :drool:[/QUOTE]

This.

There needs to be HBP out in MA. I'm from Wisconsin (duh) and I used to go there all the time; now with vinyl "making a comeback" and being readily available again, I miss it.

I can usually find a lot to buy when they have the 40-50% off coupons if I go early. At 20% off...meh you have to be lucky to find worthwhile stuff unless you're looking for old books.

The Concord, CA store always has great deals on games. I've even found Super Nintendo games, and Dreamcast games there for really cheap. And, as far as I know, they don't sell any used PC games. But, most of the PC games (especially MMO's), and console games have their discs behind the counter near the registers, to keep people from stealing. So, I guess that's what makes people think that the PC games are used. I've also tried to sell PC games to them before, but they'll only buy new copies.

A couple of months ago at HPB, I picked up what was supposed to be a copy of the Gran Turismo 2 Soundtrack for a $1. Inside was the GT2 PS1 Bonus disc and a mint copy of The Raiden Project! Definitely take your time to look around at HPB, also check out the CD section as well.

i found:
Super mario kart (SNES) complete in box - $15-20%= $12
Super Mario 64 Complete in box - $10-20%= $8
RE2 guide (Prima)- $4
Golden Age the lost age official guide - $3.20
Dino Crisis official Guide - $6
King of Hell manga 1-10 - $10
Bleach manga 1 & 2 - 80 cents each

my question is, it Mario Kart and Mario 64 worth it?I ask because I already own them but no box or manual. Should I take em back or keep them?

I bought Xenogears Strategy Guide (Bradygames) for $7 out the door with this 20% off coupon. It is in good condition considering its age. I didn't see any older console games=(

I go to Half Price Books about once every 2 weeks, even more often during holidays.

Make sure to check out the clearance books section. There's usually a shelf tucked away in there filled with clearance PC\Mac\Video Games priced $1-$3. Also, usually overlooked in many stores is the games in the locked showcase. These tend to be a hit or miss most of the time, but almost every store I have been to has them. Look for a section near the counter that has a rack of Antique books. Usually there's books that are priced much higher and in a padlocked case. In that case will often be a box filled with cartridge only games. Some stores get carried away though. One location near me has Virtual Boy games for $40 each. Commons too, nothing really valuable.

If your going for PC games, look for a jewelcase only shelf. In some cases a game will be $10-$20 in a box, but priced at the flat $2.99 if a jewelcase only version is being sold.

bread's done
Back