20''+ tube tv, cheap...yeah, where do you look?

Vortextk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Flea markets? Craigslist? Dumpsters?:D

I've decided, I want to play ps1 games(and ps2 we'll see) on a tube tv. I've tried on my hdtv, I've fiddled with them on my computer with an emulator, but it's just not the same. I have a meh 16''er right now and after bringing it back out and testing a ps1 game on it, I liked it the best.(How ironic)

Small is good, 20-24, it has to fit around my speakers, other consoles and big hdtv. Plus I won't use it for much. I can just sit real close so it looks bigger lol. Any other ideas where to look?

Saw one of those clear plastic prison tv's at a salvation army for 20 bucks.

Yeah I forgot about some of these places. We have one or two in town I think, been forever since I was at one...maybe I can get one of those prison tvs and find a shaved down spoon inside =)

Yard sales, thrift stores, flea markets etc. I'm creeped out by Craigslist; sold a Wii on there and the dude e-mailed me the next day asking if I wanted to hang out sometime.

I still play my old gen games on an older TV as well. They look much better than on my hdtv.

Yea there are plenty of people that have really old TVs lying around and they are too lazy to drop it off at a disposal center. So they will post it up for free on craigslist as long as you come and take it off their hands. Hell you're doing them a favor.

So make sure to check the "for free" section in craigslist and not only the "for sale".

Craigslist.. or you could just stick to an LCD. You know some PS2 games and every Xbox game is in 480p right? Also, many are 16:9.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Craigslist.. or you could just stick to an LCD. You know some PS2 games and every Xbox game is in 480p right? Also, many are 16:9.[/QUOTE]

Xbox looks good, ps2 looks acceptable, ps1 looks like absolute garbage.

And thanks for the tips to check the free section of craig's list. Never used the site, didn't think there would be a completely different listing for that.

If you're in NorCal, I could hook you up with one for cheap!

Central florida on the coast, so no picking up your tv =)

You could look into ePSXe if you have a decent computer. AFAIK this is legal assuming you own a PS1 system. It makes the games look better than the original.

The bigger goodwill's generally have a decent selection of tube tv's. I imagine even more now with the move towards hd.

They don't have them at best buy anymore? I bought mine like 4-5 years ago and used it to play 360 on up until a year ago, I still use it for TV and SNES though. I bought it for $80 and it's nice. Try Best Buy? or local yard sales.

[quote name='Staind204']You could look into ePSXe if you have a decent computer. AFAIK this is legal assuming you own a PS1 system. It makes the games look better than the original.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. I found MGS looking better, cutscene slowdown bugs aside(and while not a crysis powerhouse, my computer stomps on epsxe). FF8 on the other hand has been hit and miss. The combination of 2d/3d and the fact that a lot of things like hair/faces have more detail than MGS, but at such a terrible original resolution, after messing with settings for an hour I enjoy the picture more on my tube tv than anything my computer can dish out.

But this is besides the point anyway, I just find that the best way to keep up the illusion of how good the graphics were 10 years ago(when they certainly aren't today), is to play them how they were intended, most of the time. Probably going to check a few cheap places this weekend after asking a few more family members. My Uncle always has tons of cheap 15-17 spare monitors, no tv's I think though.

If you want a new one, K-Mart, Walmart, and Sears tend to have CRTs (flat screens, not panel) lying around. My Target actually has 2 display models up on clearance also.

But if you want a real old school TV, with the curved screen and everything, yeah Craigslist and Goodwill.

bread's done
Back