$2000 to make a room help!

cdietschrun

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
My mother and stepfather decided to buy a new HDTV, surround sound system, and DVD player system. They want to spend about $2000 after its all said and done.

We have about 43" inches available of space for the new TV
I was looking at this for the TV:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/attachment.do?OID=188805&json=on

And I need advice on what to do: I was thinking about getting a Blu-ray player for the TV. What would be best for that?

Also, what about 5.1 stereo system?

And lastly, what kind of cables will be the best that I can get to connect everything?

Costco has that TV for $950 on sale Link The sale ends today though.

As for a good bluray player? 40gb PS3. You can even play games on it! ;)

Heres a Decent Sony 5.1 Setup for $150

For cables, monoprice.com. You'll need HDMI cables for the PS3 and a digital optical cable for the surround sound. (15 bucks or so together)

Thats about $1500 before taxes.

I'd definately say Blu-Ray over DVD player, go for the cheap 40GB PS3 since that's probably the cheapest you'll find a Blu-Ray.

If you have extra money, maybe they'll even buy you a game or two.

I never said the game room was for me, or that I would even be playing games there. Its just I am in control of the $2000 they are spending on their entertainment room and I need to figure out they best way to spend it. Thanks all though.

[quote name='cdietschrun']I never said the game room was for me, or that I would even be playing games there. Its just I am in control of the $2000 they are spending on their entertainment room and I need to figure out they best way to spend it. Thanks all though.[/quote]

And they all answered you with good info.
Here is a summary:

-Vizio Tv: The one you want is on sale at costco. Even cheaper.
-Bluray player- Its one of the best priced and supported- The ps3. With remote you cant tell the difference between that and a standalone.
-Cables: Monoprice.com Cheap, work perfectly.
-5.1 sound: A link was given to you for $150 from Circuit City: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...74935/catOid/-13325/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

SO yo got all that great info. Now go buy it.

Great info? wtf, this is terrible info. If you have $2000 dedicated solely to this room, you should spend it without skimping on stuff like sound.

[quote name='Chacrana']Great info? wtf, this is terrible info. If you have $2000 dedicated solely to this room, you should spend it without skimping on stuff like sound.[/quote]

Most people wont notice the difference in sound. It for his parents, Not AVS freaks of nature. It will be sufficient.

Got a 46" Samsung 1080p HDTV
Sony Bravio 5.1 surround system
and HDMI cables from monoprice

Thanks all for the input! Should be a kickass setup!

[quote name='Lice']Most people wont notice the difference in sound. It for his parents, Not AVS freaks of nature. It will be sufficient.[/QUOTE]

exactly... personally i spent just as much on my 5.1 setup as i did my tv, but for most people, audio is secondary to visual when it comes to this kind of stuff. That being said, i wouldn't necessarily recommend the cheapest htib you can find...

[quote name='mang9432']exactly... personally i spent just as much on my 5.1 setup as i did my tv, but for most people, audio is secondary to visual when it comes to this kind of stuff. That being said, i wouldn't necessarily recommend the cheapest htib you can find...[/quote]
I got a YHT-280 HTIB for sale for $200 (MSRP from Yamaha is $330!) and am loving it. :D

bread's done
Back