2004 NBA Finals Thread

Santorum X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Personally, I like the Pistons in this series. I think with the aquisition of Rasheed Wallace the Pistons seem to be more of a complete team.

[quote name='Santorum X']Personally, I like the Pistons in this series. I think with the aquisition of Rasheed Wallace the Pistons seem to be more of a complete team.[/quote]

I would love to see the pistons win, however I did'nt smoke what you did and can't see them beating LA more than twice. :D

this is going to be a very good series. Lakers will win it in 6 or 7 games. It will be interesting to see if the Pistons will run on the Lakers knowing the Pistons just like the lakers are a halfcourt team.

Alright. A b-ball thread!

I'm not too fond of the Lakers myself, but they have too much fire power - it isn't fair that they get four future Hall of famers on one team, though two are over the hill, but that's reality. In addition, the Lakers have a brilliant strategist in Jackson. So I think Lakers are gonna take it in 5 games.

It'll be interesting to see how the Wallaces handle Shaq. Detroit has great defense, but the Lakers have great offfense. It'll be a fun series to watch, IMHO.

I'd rather the Pistons win simply because I hate the Lakers, but that ain't gonna happen. Bottom line, the Pistons can't score and the Lakers have too many offensive weapons. You can only double team Kobe and Shaq but so much. That leaves Malone, Payton, Fisher, George, Rush, and/or Medvedenko in man coverage or wide open.

Oh well. At least I can take comfort in knowing that Payton and Malone finally got one. They deserve it.

Pistons in 7.....Ben and Rashed will put up a great matchup against Shaq....There D is there but they need to find a way to put the ball in the hoop.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Pistons in 7.....Ben and Rashed will put up a great matchup against Shaq....There D is there but they need to find a way to put the ball in the hoop.[/quote]

They need to find the hoop 4 times. Scoring less than 90 points against the lakers isn't going to cut it. There is no way this series goes seven games. LA in 5.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Well I was born in Detroit, so I'm kinda bias, Pistons in 6[/quote]

if pistons DO win, it will most likely be in 7 games...lakers wont go home early...if they lose, they will lose at the end, no time sooner...

i don't like the lakers its just that they are that good (they beat my t-wolves :()

Pistons should win, but Lakers will sadly, probably win in 6.

I agree about Malone and Payton. It's about time, but Malone should have gotten it with Hornacek and Stockton...they deseved it as well.

You know, we should have some sort of CAG pool. If not actual $$, we can put some games on the table. :wink:

[quote name='sm04as']
You know, we should have some sort of CAG pool. If not actual $$, we can put some games on the table. :wink:[/quote]

I'm sure BigNick will be all over that!

I say Lakers unfortnately. Probably in 6. I REALLY hope I am wrong though. I think defensively the Pistons will be OK, but I am worried that they won't be able to score enough to win. They will have to break 90 at least 3 times to have a chance IMHO and even that won't guarantee (sp?) anything.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Pistons in 7.....Ben and Rashed will put up a great matchup against Shaq....There D is there but they need to find a way to put the ball in the hoop.[/quote]

I think Hamilton can get the ball in the hoop. He seems to have no trouble doing it as of late.

[quote name='daphatty']I'd rather the Pistons win simply because I hate the Lakers, but that ain't gonna happen. Bottom line, the Pistons can't score and the Lakers have too many offensive weapons. You can only double team Kobe and Shaq but so much. That leaves Malone, Payton, Fisher, George, Rush, and/or Medvedenko in man coverage or wide open.

Oh well. At least I can take comfort in knowing that Payton and Malone finally got one. They deserve it.[/quote]

They could always put Darko on Shaq instead of double teaming him.

Ok seriously though, I think Tayshaun can lock down on Kobe pretty well. Shaq will be the X-factor, depending on how he hits his free throws. The trouble is probably going to be in the perimeter D, as seen against Nets and their wide-open 3s. The offensive load's going to be on Rip again, but the others have to get into it as well.

Pistons are not going to score more than 90 if they can help it. If they can keep the Lakers below that mark, they're going to win. I'm interested to see what the different coaches plans are though. This is a pretty exciting series, I can't wait 'til Sunday.

Lakers in 5.

Pistons have no answer for Shaq. They only have two 7-footers in seldom used Campbell and Milicic. Big Ben is just 6-9, he'll be eaten up. And you can't rely on the Wallaces doubling because you'll leave one of many great shooters open. Then there's Kobe, and he's shown time and time again that nobody can guard him, whether it's Ruben Patterson, Bruce Bowen, etc. Tay's long arms will help, but Kobe's quickness will win out.

Hamilton's play of late has been awesome. But where will the rest of Detroit's points come from? The Lakers will win the first 3. Then because of Detroit's desperation to avoid a sweep, they'll take game 4. Finally, the Lakers will win game 5 in front of the Detroit crowd.

I'd love to see my boy Tashaun Prince (or any of my UK boys at that) grab a ring this early in his career, but how can you stop Shaq and Kobe (da date-rapa) Bryant....I mean, I hate Kobe, but he is unbelievable. Not to mention those other 2 hall of famers to be...

I too don't see this going past 5, maybe 6 if the Pistons play out of their minds...

[quote name='MadChedar0']Detroit with the sweep. Remember who told you first.[/quote]

I would love for that to happen, but I can't see it being the case.

[quote name='MadChedar0']Detroit with the sweep. Remember who told you first.[/quote]

I'd give my left nut to see that happen.

[quote name='daphatty']

I think Tayshaun can lock down on Kobe pretty well. [/quote]

Really? Is Prince that good of a defender? I haven't seen him play enough, but Bowen and Hassell, both damn good defenders had trouble. Prince doesn't strike me as having quick enough feet to stay with him. He is long though which will help when Kobe shoots off the dribble.

[quote name='chickenhawk']
Really? Is Prince that good of a defender? I haven't seen him play enough, but Bowen and Hassell, both damn good defenders had trouble. Prince doesn't strike me as having quick enough feet to stay with him. He is long though which will help when Kobe shoots off the dribble.[/quote]

I think he's underrated as a defender (especially with having both Wallaces on your team). I don't think anyone but Kobe himself is going to shut down Kobe completely, but if you can limit his touches and make it a bit harder for him to see daylight on his shots his points will drop. It's the difference between 40 points and 20. If the other Lakers' shooters can be likewise controlled, then that's the difference between a Lakers 90 point victory or 70 point loss. That's a big if though.

Oh yeah and I'm pretty sure that was my post that you were quoting. :)

So many Laker haters. Lakers in 5 they'll get bored after a couple games and give up one in detroit.

The Pistons will the first team in the playoffs to win atleast 1 at LA. Heres what they did against the Lakers.
NOV
14 Fri @ L.A. Lakers L 94-89
18 Tue L.A. Lakers W 106-96

That proves that the Pistons can score. I want to see the Pistons win, but unless they can take atleast 2 at LA, they lose in 6.

[quote name='daphatty']There is no way this series goes seven games. LA in 5.[/quote]

Don't Forget this Is the Lakers. they should of swept TWOLVES with no cassell. the lakers will somehow find themselves not playing hard in several games so dont be suprised if it goes 7.

[quote name='rjblazed']So many Laker haters.[/quote]

Can you blame us? Just about everyone on the team needs an attitude adjustment and their cockiness is off the charts.

But if there was ever a reason for cockiness isn't it having the 2 best players in the league and 3 titles in 4 years soon to be 4 in 5.

[quote name='Lstorm34'][quote name='daphatty']There is no way this series goes seven games. LA in 5.[/quote]

Don't Forget this Is the Lakers. they should of swept TWOLVES with no cassell. the lakers will somehow find themselves not playing hard in several games so dont be suprised if it goes 7.[/quote]

They should've swept the Wolves without Cassell? Even without Cassell, the Wolves are a very good team. Is it impossible for anyone not living in MN to give them their due credit. I think they get the least credit of all teams to ever have had a #1 seed in the West and go to the conference finals.

Why can't the Lakers ever lose because they just got beat? It's always because they were bored or some other BS. Anyway, getting off subject...

[quote name='rjblazed']But if there was ever a reason for cockiness isn't it having the 2 best players in the league and 3 titles in 4 years soon to be 4 in 5.[/quote]

2 best? Not true IMO. 2nd best (Kobe) and most physically dominant (Shaq). The Lakers are SMUG. I have no problem with confidence, but the smugness is what bothers me. That is what separates these Lakers from the Bulls of the 90's. They were confident...maybe at times a little cocky (really only Jordan), but they weren't smug about it. They had much more respect for the game and their opponents than the current Lakers team.

[quote name='chickenhawk'][quote name='rjblazed']But if there was ever a reason for cockiness isn't it having the 2 best players in the league and 3 titles in 4 years soon to be 4 in 5.[/quote]

2 best? Not true IMO. 2nd best (Kobe) and most physically dominant (Shaq). The Lakers are SMUG. I have no problem with confidence, but the smugness is what bothers me. That is what separates these Lakers from the Bulls of the 90's. They were confident...maybe at times a little cocky (really only Jordan), but they weren't smug about it. They had much more respect for the game and their opponents than the current Lakers team.[/quote]

Who is a better all around player than Kobe?

[quote name='chickenhawk'][quote name='Lstorm34'][quote name='daphatty']There is no way this series goes seven games. LA in 5.[/quote]

Don't Forget this Is the Lakers. they should of swept TWOLVES with no cassell. the lakers will somehow find themselves not playing hard in several games so dont be suprised if it goes 7.[/quote]

They should've swept the Wolves without Cassell? Even without Cassell, the Wolves are a very good team. Is it impossible for anyone not living in MN to give them their due credit. I think they get the least credit of all teams to ever have had a #1 seed in the West and go to the conference finals.

Why can't the Lakers ever lose because they just got beat? It's always because they were bored or some other BS. Anyway, getting off subject...[/quote]
not trying to disrespect the wolves. hey they are a very good team. but if you have cassell and hudson not playing, the lakers IF they did not play half assed on several games should of put them away earlier. if the wolves had cassell and hudson at full strength they would have had a VERY good chance of going to the Finals. Wolves keep the same team next year and somehow find some sucker to take olowokandi no doubt the wolves will be championship contender.

[quote name='rjblazed'][quote name='chickenhawk'][quote name='rjblazed']But if there was ever a reason for cockiness isn't it having the 2 best players in the league and 3 titles in 4 years soon to be 4 in 5.[/quote]

2 best? Not true IMO. 2nd best (Kobe) and most physically dominant (Shaq). The Lakers are SMUG. I have no problem with confidence, but the smugness is what bothers me. That is what separates these Lakers from the Bulls of the 90's. They were confident...maybe at times a little cocky (really only Jordan), but they weren't smug about it. They had much more respect for the game and their opponents than the current Lakers team.[/quote]

Who is a better all around player than Kobe?[/quote]

Do you even have to ask? Look at my location and it should become immediately evident.

Kevin Garnett!!!

I'm glad you said "all around" in your post, because with that, it's not even close.

Lstorm...

Too long to quote.

I don't agree. The Wolves earned those victories by playing good defense, getting to the FT line and not turning the ball over. I think that Cassell only puts the Wolves in the Finals, but I guess we'll never know. I just don't like that Lakers opponents never get credit for their victory. I suppose the 20-something games they lost were all because they played half-assed?

I'm a Laker hater, but I want them to win this year, so Malone and Payton will retire (having gotten their rings). Then in the off season, some other team will fork out the $$$ to pick up Kobe. Phil Jackson, having won a ring for every finger he has, will either leave or not get his contract renewed. The dismantling complete, that leaves the door open for some great Spurs/T-wolves series in the next few years.

A guy can deam, right?

Kevin Garnett is a great player and deserved the MVP this year for sure. Kobe is still a better defender, has more range on a consistant basis, can post up his man as good as anyone else at his position, and is willing to be the clutch player for his team. Garnett has the edge in rebounding and blocked shots not too much more. Plus Garnett still doesn't take over games the way Kobe does he still passes too much when he should be the one creating a shot and taking it instead of fred hoeiberg or one of the other guys.

[quote name='chickenhawk'][quote name='rjblazed'][quote name='chickenhawk'][quote name='rjblazed']But if there was ever a reason for cockiness isn't it having the 2 best players in the league and 3 titles in 4 years soon to be 4 in 5.[/quote]

Who is a better all around player than Kobe?[/quote]

Do you even have to ask? Look at my location and it should become immediately evident.

Kevin Garnett!!!

I'm glad you said "all around" in your post, because with that, it's not even close.[/quote]

Damn right. KG is definately more an "all around" player than Kobe is. KG is a team player and makes effort to get his teammates involved. Kobe is a showboating prick who tries to be like Mike, but doesn't have the leadership as his airness. Lakers didn't win because of Kobe; they won because of the Diesel. Kobe will always play Pippen to Shaq's MJ as long as he stays with the Lakers.

KG is good. So is Kobe. But McGrady is better. No 1 IMO. And lets not forget Shorty McShoot-a-lot a.k.a. Allen Iverson.

[quote name='daphatty']KG is good. So is Kobe. But McGrady is better. No 1 IMO. [/quote]

McGrady=great scorer, but can't guard worth for s#it.

[quote name='Santorum X'][quote name='daphatty']KG is good. So is Kobe. But McGrady is better. No 1 IMO. [/quote]

McGrady=great scorer, but can't guard worth for s#it.[/quote]

Yea have to agree great scorer but no defense and can't lead a team.

Kobe can't lead worth a shit either. Who does he inspire? How does he lead?

KG can lead but he's a big man and therefore needs to stay down low and let the ball come to him.

McG needs a good point. Get Payton in there (and a semi-decent center) and watch Orlando shine.

bread's done
Back