2006 Super Bowl Champions Pittsburgh Steelers AKA Official NFL Discussion Thread #4

[quote name='Tyga24'] Seattle is a pretty young team winning its first playoff game in who knows how long this past weekend.[/QUOTE]

Twenty-one, almost twenty-two Years. December 22, 1984 AFC Wild Card hosting the Raiders in the Kingdome. Won by 13-7 defensively with 6 sacks and three turnovers.

We lost the following week in Miami 31-10, to a young Dan Marino. In his second year. (Seattle beat him the prior year-his rookie year in the 1983 playoffs.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention... Chuck Knox, considered Seattle's best pre-Holmgren coach (maybe absolute best) won coach of the year that year.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Didn't Jerry Rice get the MVP one time? Other than him I can't think of any other WR.[/quote]

Yes and No. He received it from the "Pro Football Writers of America" in 1987. The more commonly referred to Associated Press MVP award was given to John Elway that year. No wideout has ever been honored by the AP, and Rice was the only receiver selected by the former.

EDIT: I didn't realize you were talking about the Super Bowl MVP. Apologies.

[quote name='Quillion']Yes and No. He received it from the "Pro Football Writers of America" in 1987. The more commonly referred to Associated Press MVP award was given to John Elway that year. No wideout has ever been honored by the AP, and Rice was the only receiver selected by the former.

EDIT: I didn't realize you were talking about the Super Bowl MVP. Apologies.[/QUOTE]
PAD's the only one that mentioned Super Bowl MVP, everybody else is talking about the regular season MVP.

I agree that if a WR seems to be MVP-worthy, he pretty much always has an MVP-worthy QB behind him to take the honors.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Peyton Manning only solidified my opinion that he's one of the NFL's most unknown jackasses by wagging the finger at everyone else but himself for their loss. I think he's always been that way, even in college (wonder why he never won anything there...). For some reason hardly anyone ever sees it, especially not around here where I am. People always talk about how he's some amazing leader of his team, good leaders don't sell out their offensive line after a game and props to Bradshaw for calling him out on it in the postgame.[/QUOTE]

Sad to say this mr manning but if you didnt demand so much contract money, youd have an offensive line to block you. so stop your btiching you greedy jerk off.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Sad to say this mr manning but if you didnt demand so much contract money, youd have an offensive line to block you. so stop your btiching you greedy jerk off.[/QUOTE]

Peyton Manning is the Dan Marino of the current league. Except without the good attitude and the arm. (Best quarterback to never win a Super Bowl.) The biggest difference is, Marino's failings were because of the quality of the players around him. Peyton's failings are because he's not a clutch player.

I'm a firm believer that the name Manning should be next to the word "overrated" in the dictionary.

[quote name='Quillion']Peyton Manning is the Dan Marino of the current league. Except without the good attitude and the arm. (Best quarterback to never win a Super Bowl.) The biggest difference is, Marino's failings were because of the quality of the players around him. Peyton's failings are because he's not a clutch player.

I'm a firm believer that the name Manning should be next to the word "overrated" in the dictionary.[/QUOTE]

The Fact that everyone on espn and the sports radio world loves eli manning has me miffed. He had a ton of talent around his this year and was a .500 quarterback at best. hes a bust and no one wants to admit it. He really sucks. If he cant hit 60% of his passes with the talent he had this year he never will.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']The Fact that everyone on espn and the sports radio world loves eli manning has me miffed. He had a ton of talent around his this year and was a .500 quarterback at best. hes a bust and no one wants to admit it. He really sucks. If he cant hit 60% of his passes with the talent he had this year he never will.[/QUOTE]
He's nowhere near a bust after two seasons. It's called inexperience.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He's nowhere near a bust after two seasons. It's called inexperience.[/QUOTE]

Doesnt matter to me, he looked beyond terrible at times and i dont think hell ever be an elite quarterback from what ive seen. 53% just doesnt cut it.

[quote name='mmn']Manning was just frustrated. Tiki Barber did the same thing after his playoff loss. When you get sent home you're pissed and sometimes you say shit you don't mean to say.

Still, Manning was as much right as Barber was. If his o-line actually bothered to pick up a blitz or two maybe the game would've turned out differently.[/QUOTE]

Both are bad form really, but not really even the same, he blamed the coaching, Manning is essentially Indy's play caller anyhow. IMO blaming the coaches isn't the same as blaming teammates, calling out your teammates is worse because that isn't your place and most anyone who's played team sports will agree.

If you payed enough attention to it you'd realize he audibled into at least one (I saw two I think) of those sacks. If he on occasion audibled to something like a counter it'd be fine but he rarely does that. Hell Manning could've prepared them better too, they said all week they'd go after him. Barber said as a team they didn't play with enough intensity too, at least he said they failed largely as team. But Manning blamed everyone else but him then he took individual credit for drawing up some crock play for 2 pts. It's not the first time he's done this so your chalking it all up to simple frustration makes little sense anyhow. He's damn near 30 now, it's about he grew up and realized if you want to be leader you have to realize you need to shopulder some of the responibility when things don't go right as well and try and roll your guys under the bus.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Doesnt matter to me, he looked beyond terrible at times and i dont think hell ever be an elite quarterback from what ive seen. 53% just doesnt cut it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, leading the NFC in TDs and second in total yards your first full year playing really sucks. Oh yeah, he also lead the Giants to the NFC East Championship in the league's toughest division.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He's nowhere near a bust after two seasons. It's called inexperience.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you. He's not a bust yet. We'll see him when he hits 30. However, that doesn't change my view that he's overrated, just like his brother. For example, he got the most fan votes in the Pro Bowl ballotting. Of any player. He didn't deserve to go, I'm glad he's not.

I'm also glad that Jake Plummer gets to go (as an alternate for Carson Palmer) He deserves to much more than two of the NFC QBs.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I agree that was pretty shitty of him. Just imagine if someone like TO had said that or something similar to that.

on another note, looking at the stats from the past couple of games one really has to wonder how Steve Smith did not garner a single MVP vote.[/QUOTE]

That's a great point that you make about the comments. I think the media likes to jump on any story that create a big controversy. Watching those comments you could tell Peyton was ready to say something bad and the reporters wouldn't stop asking questions until they had something. I'm sure he's got some mending to do but once the season starts I'm sure they'll be fine.

Steve Smith should have definitely recieved some MVP votes. He's more than just a WR for Carolina, he returns punts and is used on a lot of reverses to change up Carolina's running game. I remember watching him in the game my Bucs destroyed the Panthers in, and they were able to keep Smith pretty well contained but he still made plays on a reverse and a punt return and that's when I realized this guy's no joke. He doesn't have the size but he has the speed and the toughness (that ball he ripped out of two Bears hands was something else) to match up with any wideout. I always think that some team will come up with a way to stop him, but they never really do.

I'm sure time will tell about Eli Manning but the guy has got the talent but he just needs some experience. But he does have some great talent with Barber, Shockey, & Burress so I'm sure Giants fans will get more restless if they dont see results soon.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Doesnt matter to me, he looked beyond terrible at times and i dont think hell ever be an elite quarterback from what ive seen. 53% just doesnt cut it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I know ALL QBs are graded on their completion percentage to determine whether they're busts or not and that there's a cutoff point to get into the hall of fame, as well.

[quote name='Quillion']I have to agree with you. He's not a bust yet. We'll see him when he hits 30. However, that doesn't change my view that he's overrated, just like his brother. For example, he got the most fan votes in the Pro Bowl ballotting. Of any player. He didn't deserve to go, I'm glad he's not.

I'm also glad that Jake Plummer gets to go (as an alternate for Carson Palmer) He deserves to much more than two of the NFC QBs.[/QUOTE]
He is a little overrated, but it's the team around him that makes helps him play a little above his current skill level.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He is a little overrated, but it's the team around him that makes helps him play a little above his current skill level.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, you just summed my entire point frisky.

If you think the team around him helped him play above his skill level, and he recended during the second half of the season and looked like crap, im worried about him. He can be good, but i dont think hes a pro bowler. If he was under Mike Holmgren id say in 4 or 5 years he could be a pro bowler, but rite now its time for that team to fire coughlin and bring in a qb coach if there seriously commited to manning.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Both are bad form really, but not really even the same, he blamed the coaching, Manning is essentially Indy's play caller anyhow. IMO blaming the coaches isn't the same as blaming teammates, calling out your teammates is worse because that isn't your place and most anyone who's played team sports will agree.

If you payed enough attention to it you'd realize he audibled into at least one (I saw two I think) of those sacks. If he on occasion audibled to something like a counter it'd be fine but he rarely does that. Hell Manning could've prepared them better too, they said all week they'd go after him. Barber said as a team they didn't play with enough intensity too, at least he said they failed largely as team. But Manning blamed everyone else but him then he took individual credit for drawing up some crock play for 2 pts. It's not the first time he's done this so your chalking it all up to simple frustration makes little sense anyhow. He's damn near 30 now, it's about he grew up and realized if you want to be leader you have to realize you need to shopulder some of the responibility when things don't go right as well and try and roll your guys under the bus.[/QUOTE]

He audbiled into one because the Steelers changed the side they blitzed from. Manning put his protection in the right spot - the Steelers just outsmarted him. It happens.

Manning ALWAYS takes the blame - I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Every year that he loses he says its all his fault. I love how NOBODY has any kind of memory in the NFL, especially the fans. This is the first time I've heard Manning call out a specific position on his team. And yes, it was due to frustration. I'm sure he's already apologized to his o-line for the comments.

If Manning was really one to start throwing teammates under the bus, he would've done so to Vanderjagt but didn't.

[quote name='javeryh']Yeah, leading the NFC in TDs and second in total yards your first full year playing really sucks. Oh yeah, he also lead the Giants to the NFC East Championship in the league's toughest division.[/QUOTE]

Quick! Name a good QB in the NFC! Someone who had the starting job all year and had to throw for touchdowns!

Seriously, he was only over 50% in completions because of the quality of the receiving corps.

Hasselbeck was much more consistent, much better rating. He didn't have as many TDs or yards simply because Shawn was sucking them all up. TWENTY-EIGHT! Only one receiving.

Second, it was not the league's toughest division. That distinction belongs to the west. The AFC West, that is.

[quote name='mmn']He audbiled into one because the Steelers changed the side they blitzed from. Manning put his protection in the right spot - the Steelers just outsmarted him. It happens.

Manning ALWAYS takes the blame - I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Every year that he loses he says its all his fault. I love how NOBODY has any kind of memory in the NFL, especially the fans. This is the first time I've heard Manning call out a specific position on his team. And yes, it was due to frustration. I'm sure he's already apologized to his o-line for the comments.

If Manning was really one to start throwing teammates under the bus, he would've done so to Vanderjagt but didn't.[/QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0202/1503003.html

[quote name='ESPN'] Peyton Manning called teammate Mike Vanderjagt an "idiot kicker" at the Pro Bowl on Sunday[/quote]

Almost a year ago.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Thank you, you just summed my entire point frisky.

If you think the team around him helped him play above his skill level, and he recended during the second half of the season and looked like crap, im worried about him. He can be good, but i dont think hes a pro bowler. If he was under Mike Holmgren id say in 4 or 5 years he could be a pro bowler, but rite now its time for that team to fire coughlin and bring in a qb coach if there seriously commited to manning.[/QUOTE]
Fire Coughlin for what? He's only been in New York for two years and he's turned them into a playoff contender. There's nothing that needs to be changed at the moment unless some of the coachless teams find someone that they like in NY. Eli just has to work on his game in the offseason and work on his consistency, nothing that requires the major changes you suggest.

[quote name='mmn']He audbiled into one because the Steelers changed the side they blitzed from. Manning put his protection in the right spot - the Steelers just outsmarted him. It happens.[/quote]

So he gets outsmarted then blames his teammates? Yeah that makes sense...

[quote name='mmn']
Manning ALWAYS takes the blame - I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Every year that he loses he says its all his fault. I love how NOBODY has any kind of memory in the NFL, especially the fans. This is the first time I've heard Manning call out a specific position on his team. And yes, it was due to frustration. I'm sure he's already apologized to his o-line for the comments. [/quote]

Look up and you think I have a bad memory? You need to check your hearing if it's the first you've heard. While he does take some blame, he's not always blamed his teammates either (sometimes it's unexplainable or it's the defense playing recievers too tight) and but I'm sure has little respect for them. I see Brady who could play any place for more money stay in NE, hell he asks his linemen to do his lameass commercials with him. When was the last time you saw Jeff Saturday in one of Manning's lameass commercials. If you look at his comments after a loss he says we alot more than I, but I can't totallly fault him for that. And if he has apoligized (which I doubt) he should do it publicly seeing as how that's how he offended them.

[quote name='mmn']
If Manning was really one to start throwing teammates under the bus, he would've done so to Vanderjagt but didn't.[/QUOTE]

Nah, he's done that already, plus you can't blmae the kicker when they had every chance in world to win (but apparently you can blame your line). You're one of the Peyton fans who can't stop raving about him, I guess I can get that, but even if this was the only incident you should acknowlage that it was a pretty crappy thing to do to your teammates.

maybe if peyton wasn't gunning for the end zone and was trying to play the game for field position, the kicker would not have had to kick a 46 yard field goal.

In other news, the projected outlook of the 2006 draft goes as follows:

1) Bush to Texans
2) Leinart to Saints
3) Young to Titans
4) Ferguson to Jets
5) Hawk to Packers
6) Williams to Raiders
7) Davis to 49ers
8) Ngata to Bills
9) Justice to Lions
10) D.Williams to Cardinals

[quote name='CaseyRyback']maybe if peyton wasn't gunning for the end zone and was trying to play the game for field position, the kicker would not have had to kick a 46 yard field goal.[/QUOTE]

Something he's suppose to be pretty good at.

[quote name='DT778']where did you get the list from and who is davis?[/QUOTE]
From ESPN's draft site, I'd have to say it's Vernon Davis, TE from Maryland.

The problem with ph33r is that it's too vague with just the last name listed.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']From ESPN's draft site, I'd have to say it's Vernon Davis, TE from Maryland.

The problem with ph33r is that it's too vague with just the last name listed.[/QUOTE]
yeah it looks like that is him.

Don't give me the "experience" excuse on Eli Manning. So he's only been in the league two years.

So what.

So has Ben Roethlisberger. He's playing in his second AFC Championship game. No second year quarterback has ever lead a team to two consecutive conference championships. Not Bradshaw, Elway, Marino, Fouts, Kelly, Tarkenton.... nobody. Before anyone says the Steelers were a great team before he was drafted? They were 6-10 the previous year and 10 players were picked before Big Ben including Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers.

The Mannings as a pair are the most egotistical, self-centered quarterbacks I've seen in a generation. They both remind me of Martel from "The Replacements" oh, with one big exception, supposedly Martel won something. I see this pair following in old man Archie's mold, never winning shit.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Don't give me the "experience" excuse on Eli Manning. So he's only been in the league two years.

So what.

So has Ben Roethlisberger. He's playing in his second AFC Championship game. No second year quarterback has ever lead a team to two consecutive conference championships. Not Bradshaw, Elway, Marino, Fouts, Kelly, Tarkenton.... nobody. Before anyone says the Steelers were a great team before he was drafted? They were 6-10 the previous year and 10 players were picked before Big Ben including Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers.

The Mannings as a pair are the most egotistical, self-centered quarterbacks I've seen in a generation. They both remind me of Martel from "The Replacements" oh, with one big exception, supposedly Martel won something. I see this pair following in old man Archie's mold, never winning shit.[/QUOTE]

Ben had a horrible playoffs last year the only reason they got to the conference championship was that the Jets shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. Ben is good but there isn't a big load on his shoulders. He doesn't attempt nearly the amount of passes an average qb does

What do passing attempts have to do with the measure of a QB?

There's only one statistic that matters. The "W".

Everything else is just window dressing.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']What do passing attempts have to do with the measure of a QB?

Everything else is just window dressing.[/QUOTE]

Just because a team wins games does not mean the QB is good. The Bears are proof of that.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Don't give me the "experience" excuse on Eli Manning. So he's only been in the league two years.

So what.

The Mannings as a pair are the most egotistical, self-centered quarterbacks I've seen in a generation. They both remind me of Martel from "The Replacements" oh, with one big exception, supposedly Martel won something. I see this pair following in old man Archie's mold, never winning shit.[/QUOTE]
So because Ben Roethlisberger did extraordinarily well in his first season starting at QB all future QB have no excuse for not doing well right out of the gate? That makes no sense. Ben's an anomaly in the world of rookie QBs, not the norm. Pittsburgh had a good team around them when he came in last year, one that didn't need him to put up Peyton Manning numbers as the running game carried the offense, for the most part.

Last year's Giants team was not that good, and the offense was pretty bad at times. To expect anywhere near the level of Ben's play out of Eli in that situation is naive. The offense was much better this year, with Tiki having the second best season for a RB this year, which could arguably be tied for first, and the receiving game being more solid than last year's core.

i think the Giants problem was all coaching... they looked like they just weren't ready out there...that and Burress never shows up for the playoffs...

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']So he gets outsmarted then blames his teammates? Yeah that makes sense... [/quote]

If you watch any shows where they show the coaches tape you can clearly see his linemen were confused. On one play in particular, two guys had Polamalu and nobody picked up Joey Porter. Manning had nothing to do with that - it was bad coaching and bad playing. But like I said, it happens. Some of it was his fault, some of it his offensive line's fault.

Look up and you think I have a bad memory?

Calling Vandy an idiot kicker after he spouted off at the mouth has nothing to do with blaming him for a loss. I don't understand how you can see those as the same thing.

You need to check your hearing if it's the first you've heard. While he does take some blame, he's not always blamed his teammates either (sometimes it's unexplainable or it's the defense playing recievers too tight) and but I'm sure has little respect for them.

Oh you mean the obvious holding by the Patriots in the 03 playoffs? The holding that got so bad even the normally calm Dick Vermeil was complaining to NFL officials about it after the season was over because he knew his guys were getting held too? Yeah, damn that Peyton Manning for forcing the Pats to cheat.

I see Brady who could play any place for more money stay in NE, hell he asks his linemen to do his lameass commercials with him. When was the last time you saw Jeff Saturday in one of Manning's lameass commercials. If you look at his comments after a loss he says we alot more than I, but I can't totallly fault him for that. And if he has apoligized (which I doubt) he should do it publicly seeing as how that's how he offended them.

You're bringing up the MONEY issue? C'mon man. That has nothing to do with him throwing his teammates under the bus.

You're one of the Peyton fans who can't stop raving about him, I guess I can get that, but even if this was the only incident you should acknowlage that it was a pretty crappy thing to do to your teammates.

Whoa there sparky, how about you calm down and realize I'm just trying to have a conversation with you. I'm a fan of Peyton, yes, and I think the shit he gets is very undeserved, but I can admit his faults as much as I can celebrate his successes.

I never said it wasn't a crappy thing to do, I said he was speaking out of frustration and probably apologized for it. When you get smoked in the playoffs for the, what, 6th year in a row, you're going to be pissed and not going to think rationally about what you're saying 15 minutes after the game is over. If in 6 months Peyton was blaming others for the loss, yeah, that's shitty, but you have to cut the guy some slack in this case.

The Mannings as a pair are the most egotistical, self-centered quarterbacks I've seen in a generation.

Perhaps, but at least they're not as bad as Terry Bradshaw.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']What do passing attempts have to do with the measure of a QB?

Everything else is just window dressing.[/QUOTE]

I think it's pretty obvious it is easier for a qb to win if he has a top 5 rushing game over one who doesn't. With a good rushing attack you can go play action all day and the D has to react to it. I agree with the W statment but keep in mind trent dilfer won a ring. I still rank Carson Palmer ahead of ben as far as young qbs go

[quote name='greendj27']Just because a team wins games does not mean the QB is good. The Bears are proof of that.[/QUOTE]

Look at some of the QB's that have started SB's that are definitely not HOF's or distinguished in the annals of greatness for their positions; Daryle Lamonica, Craig Morton, Bill Kilmer, Vince Ferragamo, David Woodley, Tony Eason, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Stan Humphries, Chris Chandler, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson. Did any of them carry their teams on the basis of fantastic, overwhelming career or season statistics?

It's not a one person game and having one of the top 5 QB's in the league is not a pre-requisite to success in reaching the big game.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Look at some of the QB's that have started SB's that are definitely not HOF's or distinguished in the annals of greatness for their positions; Daryle Lamonica, Craig Morton, Bill Kilmer, Vince Ferragamo, David Woodley, Tony Eason, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Stan Humphries, Chris Chandler, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson. Did any of them carry their teams on the basis of fantastic, overwhelming career or season statistics?

It's not a one person game and having one of the top 5 QB's in the league is not a pre-requisite to success in reaching the big game.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused, you just proved my point for me?

Hopefully Norv Turner as our OC will help our offense. I trust Mike Nolan to make smart decisions and that's hopefully what he does. I'd like Norv to open up the offense for us, yes, we do have a young qb but he's a shotgun passer that should just for the hell of it throw it deep to arguably one of the best acrobatic cathers in the NFL Lloyd.

I believe if we draft Mario Williams (DE) or Vernon Davis (TE) it'll be a good draft. We need a pass rusher besides BY and need someone we can throw to on the offense. Vernon Davis is a big guy who can also protect Smith, but what got me was Davis runs a 40 in 4.45 I believe.

[quote name='mmn']If you watch any shows where they show the coaches tape you can clearly see his linemen were confused. On one play in particular, two guys had Polamalu and nobody picked up Joey Porter. Manning had nothing to do with that - it was bad coaching and bad playing. But like I said, it happens. Some of it was his fault, some of it his offensive line's fault. [/quote]

Nothing to do with it? He calls the plays, yells out audibles telling his line where to block and he has nothing to do with it... What they needed was called a backup plan, The Colts just in general didn't have one, Manning is the team's leader and he obviously didn't have one either. Some of it was his fault, but he didn't seem to think so.

[quote name='mmn']
Calling Vandy an idiot kicker after he spouted off at the mouth has nothing to do with blaming him for a loss. I don't understand how you can see those as the same thing. [/quote]

Good point, but calling a guy who's helped you win numerous games a drunk, an idiot and implying you didn't care if he was on the team or not, 2 days AFTER he had alreadyapoligzed publicly for his comments (which weren't even as bad), is still insulting your teammates. Doesn't exactly gel with the qualities in leadership, which was my original point (that and he's a jackass).

[quote name='mmn']
Oh you mean the obvious holding by the Patriots in the 03 playoffs? The holding that got so bad even the normally calm Dick Vermeil was complaining to NFL officials about it after the season was over because he knew his guys were getting held too? Yeah, damn that Peyton Manning for forcing the Pats to cheat.[/quote]

Vermeil's a good coach but he complains about the officiating more than just about any other coach, at one point he developed some strange study claiming his oppenents were least penelized against him than anyone else IIRC. I'm not saying it's perfect football, but everybody played tight then and lots of games have been played before the rules changes and crackdowns (to be honest I htink they all get called too closely now). The main problem with the colts in general is they can't play physical, so they started complaining about something where they think they can garner sympathy (worked too apparently).

[quote name='mmn']
You're bringing up the MONEY issue? C'mon man. That has nothing to do with him throwing his teammates under the bus. [/quote]

Tell that to James and possibly Reggie Wayne (and others) this offseason... Manning's salary chews easily into that cap. They may not get new contracts, but to be honest I think they'll get more credit and recognition with another team anyhow, or at least Wayne will.

[quote name='mmn']
Whoa there sparky, how about you calm down and realize I'm just trying to have a conversation with you. I'm a fan of Peyton, yes, and I think the shit he gets is very undeserved, but I can admit his faults as much as I can celebrate his successes.

I never said it wasn't a crappy thing to do, I said he was speaking out of frustration and probably apologized for it. When you get smoked in the playoffs for the, what, 6th year in a row, you're going to be pissed and not going to think rationally about what you're saying 15 minutes after the game is over. If in 6 months Peyton was blaming others for the loss, yeah, that's shitty, but you have to cut the guy some slack in this case.[/quote]

I'm actually pretty calm, you were the guy who basically called me a football fool earlier. And you keep telling me to cut him some slack cuz he's frustrated. Why should I? He's lost games before just like you said, that's no excuse for being a poor leader and crappy teammate. Lots of other players lose games too, the ones that aren't jerks don't try to toss their teammates into the lion's den that is sports media and public opinion. In the end I've said my piece though and I'll leave it at that.

So, we've got two new coaches in New Orleans and New York (Jets) and they're the two youngest coaches in the league right now. How do you think Sean Payton, former Ass. HC and QB coach in Dallas, and Eric Mangini, former Pats Def. Coord, will do in their new head coaching positions?

Anyone have an SI account number I can borrow? I want to read an "extra" article on the website, and I need a subscriber account number.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So, we've got two new coaches in New Orleans and New York (Jets) and they're the two youngest coaches in the league right now. How do you think Sean Payton, former Ass. HC and QB coach in Dallas, and Eric Mangini, former Pats Def. Coord, will do in their new head coaching positions?[/QUOTE]
Mangini was a stretch for the jets

mangini was a good signing just because there isn't much out there in terms of good head coaching...it was either him or Kirk Ference or some other assistant with no experience...I don't know about Sean Payton...

Sundays the day. Whos rootin for who? I am eternal with the Steelers camp. Steelers vs Broncos 3pm ESt Going to be a hell of a game. GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems like the flavor of the year for the coach hirings is to hire assistants, coordinators, and coaches that don't have any head coaching experience at all. The Lions hired Rod Marinelli, defensive line coach at TB, and the Rams hired Scott Linehan, OC at Miami last year and Minnesota the three years before that. Linehan seems like a good choice, but I don't think Marinelli was the best choice.

Good news for the Redskins fans, Al Saunders, OC Guru at KC, will be joining your team to boost that offense to where it needs to be for you to succeed.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Good news for the Redskins fans, Al Saunders, OC Guru at KC, will be joining your team to boost that offense to where it needs to be for you to succeed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I heard about that on the radio. Guile is pleased. :)

bread's done
Back