2006 Super Bowl Champions Pittsburgh Steelers AKA Official NFL Discussion Thread #4

[quote name='ph33r m3']Oh yeah, wtf is the big deal about Hasseleback's penalty? He already threw the fucking interception.[/QUOTE]

The big deal is that it was just another crap call piled in with the others. Even worse, it is an obvious bad call. Please tell me how hard it is to see that he was going for a tackle; he even made the tackle!

[quote name='CaseyRyback']the Steelers have not won a Super Bowl in almost 30 years, and it is not like they haven't been knocking on the door since Cowher took over. He has been to 7 AFC championship games (could be 6 but I am pretty sure it is 7) in 14 years so half of the time he has been the coach they have been right near the top.

You can pretty much look at every game and say that it was rigged. Seattle wouldn't have been in the game had it not been for home field and when they could not cause all the penalties that they get at home, they could not win.[/QUOTE]

Casey my feelings is that Seattle is a team that hasn't even been to the Super Bowl and Pittsburgh has been their five times before tonight. I just like to see different teams win the championship when they make it that's all.

But the way it was handed to the Steelers was just sad.

[quote name='cdeener']Casey my feelings is that Seattle is a team that hasn't even been to the Super Bowl and Pittsburgh has been their five times before tonight. I just like to see different teams win the championship when they make it that's all.

But the way it was handed to the Steelers was just sad.[/QUOTE]

It was handed to the Steelers? Then wtf happened to the whole Randle El gadget play, or the Interception.

What do the refs get? Imagine that the refs were sealed off from the world for fifty years, imagine that most people don't care about money or other collaterals, imagine that team allegiance is a figment of the mind, imagine that the NFL is coordinated by a flawless computer, and they have nothing to gain.

Then slap yourself back into reality.

Hasselbeck was attempting a traditional tackle to the legs, the most effective legal maneuver. Just the fact that some guy ran into him made it a "foul."

God damn it.....can we get through one championship game without...OMIGOSH ITS THE REFS FROM HELL! THEY HATE MY TEAM!

Shut the hell up with that. One team has to lose...dont make up stupid shit when it just so happens to be your team this time.

I dont like the steelers or the seahawks but the game was pretty damn fair. I belive the steelers had MORE flags then the seahawks so i dont get where you are getting this cheated stuff from anyway.

Did the refs..make their TE drop every pass thrown his way? NO. Did the refs make hassleback throw a int? No. Did the refs turn on a wind machine so that the seahawks missed 2 FG? No

The steelers are just the better team for this game. Good game.

[quote name='Blade']What do the refs get? Imagine that the refs were sealed off from the world for fifty years, imagine that most people don't care about money or other collaterals, imagine that team allegiance is a figment of the mind, imagine that the NFL is coordinated by a flawless computer, and they have nothing to gain.

Then slap yourself back into reality.

Hasselbeck was attempting a traditional tackle to the legs, the most effective legal maneuver. Just the fact that some guy ran into him made it a "foul."[/QUOTE]

And that was after the fact he threw the INT, no?

you people complain too much and expect 5 guys to be completely perfect. No matter how amazing the crew refereeing the game is there are always going to be calls that are questionable.

No one said that the refs handed Carolina the Chicago game after they blew the call that cost Chicago any chance at winning the game. This is just one example and I am sure others could cite hundreds of game changing calls that affect games.

and if this was handing a game to a team you guys need to watch more football. The colts/steelers game was a game where the refs were trying to hand the game to the other team, this was not even close to being something akin to that.

[quote name='ph33r m3']It was handed to the Steelers? Then wtf happened to the whole Randle El gadget play, or the Interception.[/QUOTE]

handed by the fact that they took away a seattle TD, took away position inside the 5, and a big ben td shouldnt have been there. SHould have been atleast 21-17 seattle, but thanx to the reffin it was 21-10 steelers.

Also.....i love how people keep talking about that god damn tackle like everyone else that doesnt have their head up their ass..it was AFTER THE INT. Anyany how many yards did they get for that? I think it was 5. So boo flipping hoo.

[quote name='ph33r m3']It was handed to the Steelers? Then wtf happened to the whole Randle El gadget play, or the Interception.[/QUOTE]

Come on now, don't even go there. The gadget play wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for that wack ass 15 yard penalty on Hasselback for clipping at the beginning of the drive.

Yes, we all know that the interception happened because of a bad pass but don't make it worst by calling that horrible penalty to help the Steelers with better field position.

It was like a home game for the Steelers anyway so I figured it wasn't going to go to well for Seattle.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']handed by the fact that they took away a seattle TD, took away position inside the 5, and a big ben td shouldnt have been there. SHould have been atleast 21-17 seattle, but thanx to the reffin it was 21-10 steelers.[/QUOTE]

That big ben play could go either way, and if I remember Mr.Conspiracy Theory you need indisputable evidence.

Im not a fan of either team, but the refs once again in the 2005/06 playoffs made TERRIBLE calls. i am not taking anything away from the Steelers because they had an amazing run but the refs hurt the Seahawks badly in this one. Even at the end of the game when Big Ben called the timeout the play clock was clearly on zero. They cant even get that call right. Just a poor performance by the refs. But that is part of the game. Congrats to the Steelers and hopefully next year the refs wont be the main topic of every game in the playoffs.

One more thing about handing the game to the steelers......you must not have watched the game. If anything......the refs gave the seahawks 3 HUGES breaks in this game.

I watched the seahawks fumble 3 times during this game. Each one was called a incomplete pass when it clear it was a fumble. If you catch it...then turn...then try to juke its not a incomplete pass.

Oh and one last thing about the refs and how bad they are, that blcok below the waste call was the worst call I have ever seen. He was making a tackle, that call just made me wonder what the hell was going on in the refs heads.

[quote name='Soodmeg']One more thing about handing the game to the steelers......you must not have watched the game. If anything......the refs gave the seahawks 3 HUGES breaks in this game.

I watched the seahawks fumble 3 times during this game. Each one was called a incomplete pass when it clear it was a fumble. If you catch it...then turn...then try to juke its not a incomplete pass.[/QUOTE]
One time there was a fumble called incomplete that was a bad call. I didnt see 3.

[quote name='hopesfall']I'll go ahead and break it down for you one time, and then you can go ahead and quit posting because you are just going to make yourself look worse and worse. 1st quarter - Jackson makes a catch in the endzone, gets called for a push off. Hmm, looking at the replay, it is (if anything) very light. In fact, as the commentators stated, the officials weren't going to make the call right away, and then the Steelers whine, and oh look, a penalty. Momentum gone. 2nd half, a catch should have brought the Seahawks down to the Steelers 1. Oh look, penalty. Phantom hold. Interesting. Momentum shifted there, don't you think? Oh, and next play, what's this? Oh yes, a tackle from behind. No call. Ok, so then on the interception return, blocking below the waist? Really? Interesting, because to me it looked like a tackle. I guess I get those two terms confused. These are HUGE moments in the game, and yeah Seattle made some errors. But go back and WATCH this game. Seriously, just WATCH IT. I'm begging you. There is probably a reason why people are posting in here (who aren't even pulling for the Seahawks, keep in mind) talking about how horrible the officials were today. It isn't just Seahawks fans; it is anybody who actually paid attention. If you want to respond to this, go for it, but I'm done going back and forth with you. I recorded the game, I'll upload it and send it to you if you'd like to sit down and watch it.[/QUOTE]
1. Jackson did push off in the endzone. It wasn't the worst pushoff I've seen, but it was right in front of the ref.
2. There was obvious holding away from the play on the punt return that would have put Seattle in Pittsburgh territory. Stupid, undisciplined penalty, completely Seattle's fault.
3. The offensive holding call, holding calls are often marginal, and the call didn't go their way. Shit happens. Champions overcome adversity like that, losers cry about it. They chose to cry about it.
4. The low block was a bad call, a horrendous call. But, it meant very little, 15 yards on top of the interception really didn't matter all that much, the horse was already out of the barn, so to speak, he already threw the pick.

Do you want to go over the bad calls in the Denver-Pats game?

1. Asante Samuel called for pass interference, when it should have been offensive pass interference on the Denver receiver. The ref 2 feet from the play makes no call, the ref across the end zone throws the flag.
2. The Troy Brown muff on the punt return should have been fair catch interference, he hadn't dropped the ball yet before being hit, he was bobbling, but you can't touch a player on a fair catch until they drop it.
3. The pick Brady threw in the end zone that was returned to the 1 should have been a touchback, he fumbled through the end zone. It is physically impossible to fumble from his right hand, from the 1, in the direction he fumbled it, and not go through the end zone.

I just gave you 3 bad calls off the top of my head that directly led to 21 points. Still, I blame the Patriots for not executing and making bad plays for losing that game. Seattle had a couple of marginal calls, and 1 bad call, not go their way. They also had several calls go their way, at least 1 fumble by Seattle was called an incomplete pass. The refs did not cost Seattle the game. Seattle cost Seattle the game.

Oh, and I'm so broken up about somebody ignoring me. I really, genuinely care what people think of me on the internet. I think you just need a hug. We could hold hands, and maybe later, we could spoon.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I think it was 5. So boo flipping hoo.[/QUOTE]

5 is no big deal but it was 15, so that is a huge deal especially when they score off of it.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']you people complain too much and expect 5 guys to be completely perfect. No matter how amazing the crew refereeing the game is there are always going to be calls that are questionable.

No one said that the refs handed Carolina the Chicago game after they blew the call that cost Chicago any chance at winning the game. This is just one example and I am sure others could cite hundreds of game changing calls that affect games.

and if this was handing a game to a team you guys need to watch more football. The colts/steelers game was a game where the refs were trying to hand the game to the other team, this was not even close to being something akin to that.[/QUOTE]

I don't expect them to be perfect that is one thing that most humans can't be becasue we all make mistakes but that is just how sports are run nowadays. The favorites get the good and some of the bad calls to go their way.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']5 is no big deal but it was 15, so that is a huge deal especially when they score off of it.[/QUOTE]

I will give you that....it was 15....but that was one call... one series.

How about this PLAY BETTER GOD DAMN DEFENSE!

He threw a pick..and then their defense allowed the steelers to score...the ref had nothing to do with that.

Also......again...look at the 3 fumbles the seahawks had that were not called. All 3 of them would have been recorved by the steelers.

[quote name='dafoomie']1. Jackson did push off in the endzone. It wasn't the worst pushoff I've seen, but it was right in front of the ref.
2. There was obvious holding away from the play on the punt return that would have put Seattle in Pittsburgh territory. Stupid, undisciplined penalty, completely Seattle's fault.
3. The offensive holding call, holding calls are often marginal, and the call didn't go their way. Shit happens. Champions overcome adversity like that, losers cry about it. They chose to cry about it.
4. The low block was a bad call, a horrendous call. But, it meant very little, 15 yards on top of the interception really didn't matter all that much, the horse was already out of the barn, so to speak, he already threw the pick.

Do you want to go over the bad calls in the Denver-Pats game?

1. Asante Samuel called for pass interference, when it should have been offensive pass interference on the Denver receiver. The ref 2 feet from the play makes no call, the ref across the end zone throws the flag.
2. The Troy Brown muff on the punt return should have been fair catch interference, he hadn't dropped the ball yet before being hit, he was bobbling, but you can't touch a player on a fair catch until they drop it.
3. The pick Brady threw in the end zone that was returned to the 1 should have been a touchback, he fumbled through the end zone. It is physically impossible to fumble from his right hand, from the 1, in the direction he fumbled it, and not go through the end zone.

I just gave you 3 bad calls off the top of my head that directly led to 21 points. Still, I blame the Patriots for not executing and making bad plays for losing that game. Seattle had a couple of marginal calls, and 1 bad call, not go their way. They also had several calls go their way, at least 1 fumble by Seattle was called an incomplete pass. The refs did not cost Seattle the game. Seattle cost Seattle the game.

Oh, and I'm so broken up about somebody ignoring me. I really, genuinely care what people think of me on the internet. I think you just need a hug. We could hold hands, and maybe later, we could spoon.[/QUOTE]

stick to baseball agruements......your half wrong on these.

[quote name='lowgear26']stick to baseball agruements......your half wrong on these.[/QUOTE]
I'm really more of a hockey guy.

Which half was wrong? I saw the pushoff and I saw the holding on the punt return. The other two I conceded the point on, but 1 holding call and 1 bad 15 yard penalty on top of a pick that you threw either way, do not make or break a game.

firstbenpicture.jpg

[quote name='ph33r m3']And that was after the fact he threw the INT, no?[/QUOTE]

Moron. If they hadn't called a pointless foul on the previous play AFTER it was completed, he wouldn't have thrown it.

Anyone notice how the ref threw the flag AFTER the first TD and AFTER the pass was made, the one that they called holding on? If you see a guy holding behind the line of scrimmage, throw the flag regardless. Don't wait to see if they get picked off and then say, "Oh well I won't call it." The fact that he wasn't picked was the reason the ref said, "Oh hey I'm going to call that holding."

PS: I'm only complaining about this game because it was the only football game I watched all season. The Superbowl should be the least error-filled game in terms of bad calls.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm really more of a hockey guy.

Which half was wrong? I saw the pushoff and I saw the holding on the punt return. The other two I conceded the point on, but 1 holding call and 1 bad 15 yard penalty on top of a pick that you threw either way, do not make or break a game.[/QUOTE]

the push-off looked worse than it was......he never really pushed the defender enough to warrant that call.......you see that same type of push if not worse on half the plays

the holding call........that wasnt even marginal........you have to be allowed to get into a guy

The New England game.......there was no way that that INT was a touchback.......that call was totally correct........those camera angles each showed the same thing

It wasn't a football game, it wasn't a sports competition, it was a popularity contest. That's obvious. The league wanted the Steelers to win.

[quote name='Koggit']It wasn't a football game, it wasn't a sports competition, it was a popularity contest. That's obvious. The league wanted the Steelers to win.[/QUOTE]

Well said. :applause:

[quote name='lowgear26']the push-off looked worse than it was......he never really pushed the defender enough to warrant that call.......you see that same type of push if not worse on half the plays

the holding call........that wasnt even marginal........you have to be allowed to get into a guy

The New England game.......there was no way that that INT was a touchback.......that call was totally correct........those camera angles each showed the same thing[/QUOTE]
You're right about the pushoff, but he still did it, and right in front of the ref. That kind of pushoff doesn't always get called, but a pushoff looking the way it did, and right in front of the ref, will get called, no matter what jersey the receiver is wearing, especially in the end zone. But yeah, the call was made because it looked bad. They don't get the benefit of replay on that call.

Holding calls get argued every time they happen. So its 1 questionable call. Theres at least 1 or 2 questionable calls in every NFL game.

And I'm fairly certain that was a touchback, if you draw a line from where he fumbled to where it lands, it goes through the end zone. But, its not terribly important for me to argue, since I blame the Patriots for losing that game anyway, and not the refs.

All, I'll say is this....

Regardless of how people feel, there is no reason to sling personal insults at each other. There are always a handful of calls in evey football game that can be studied and debated on. Few are 100% obvious like the Palamalou play in the Colts-Steelers game.

I find it odd that the league would "want the Colts to win" as Porter said, then "want the Steelers to win" when you know the league couldn't stand the fact that Porter accused them of shenanigans in the first place.

Tell me, which of these two groups of events affects the outcome of a game more?

1. Missing 2 FG's
2. Taking your sweet ass time getting to the line of scrimmage in the last 30 seconds of both halves.
3. Poor playcalling at the end of both halves.
4. Making a bad throw that results in an INT, on what was probably a bad playcall.
5. Taking stupid, undisciplined penalties, one being on a punt return that would have put you on their 46.
6. Your WR's failing to either stay inbounds or make the catch on several potential TD catches, and had other drops throughout the course of the game.

Or

1. A bad holding call.
2. A bad low block call, after you threw a pick.
3. Some possible poor officiating working both for and against your team.

There was no "tuck" play in this game, no Polamalu interception overturn, no Asante Samuel phantom pass interference call, nothing of either the magnitude nor the egregiousness of any of those (except the tuck call, that was the correct call, but extremely contentious).

Seattle lost because Seattle simply did not execute when they had to. The NFL did not screw them. The Mafia did not bribe anyone. There was no Presidential conspiracy. Maybe it could have been a different game, had some breaks gone their way. But, several breaks did go their way. They had at least 1, probably 2 fumbles get called as dropped passes.

I hate the Steelers, I wanted to see them lose this game. But, they won, and I won't take anything away from them by blaming the officiating. Pittsburgh played well, and won the game.

That was the 2nd most fun I've ever had watching a Super Bowl (after 31, for obvious reasons). It was a good game, but there have been better in recent years. The reason it was one of the best?

I got to watch it in a movie theater. For free. :)

[quote name='dafoomie']Tell me, which of these two groups of events affects the outcome of a game more?

1. Missing 2 FG's
2. Taking your sweet ass time getting to the line of scrimmage in the last 30 seconds of both halves.
3. Poor playcalling at the end of both halves.
4. Making a bad throw that results in an INT, on what was probably a bad playcall.
5. Taking stupid, undisciplined penalties, one being on a punt return that would have put you on their 46.
6. Your WR's failing to either stay inbounds or make the catch on several potential TD catches, and had other drops throughout the course of the game.

Or

1. A bad holding call.
2. A bad low block call, after you threw a pick.
3. Some possible poor officiating working both for and against your team.

There was no "tuck" play in this game, no Polamalu interception overturn, no Asante Samuel phantom pass interference call, nothing of either the magnitude nor the egregiousness of any of those (except the tuck call, that was the correct call, but extremely contentious).

Seattle lost because Seattle simply did not execute when they had to. The NFL did not screw them. The Mafia did not bribe anyone. There was no Presidential conspiracy. Maybe it could have been a different game, had some breaks gone their way. But, several breaks did go their way. They had at least 1, probably 2 fumbles get called as dropped passes.

I hate the Steelers, I wanted to see them lose this game. But, they won, and I won't take anything away from them by blaming the officiating. Pittsburgh played well, and won the game.[/QUOTE]

Realize that a lot of their bad plays wouldn't have happened if there wasn't bad officiating. Realize that.

Yay, the Steelers won. I placed bets against all of my Seattle friends (after growing up there and living there for 16 years, I have quite a few) and so I won a lot of money. Yay, I have enough money to pay next month's rent!

[quote name='Blade']Realize that a lot of their bad plays wouldn't have happened if there wasn't bad officiating. Realize that.[/QUOTE]
Really? Did the Seattle WR's make about 1000 drops because of bad officiating? Did Seattle have poor clock management and playcalling because of bad officiating? Did Seattle fall for every trick play, and leave Hines Ward wide open on the Randel El pass, because of the officials? Pittsburgh ran that exact same play to Ward in week 8, its on film, falling for it is bad preparation.

Seattle was the benefit of bad officiating at times, they had fumbles called as incomplete passes. If Seattle won, we'd hear from Pittsburgh fans to no end about that. Seattle had a huge break when Hasselbeck almost fumbled, but it was down by contact since a Pittsburgh player brushed him with his hand. That is a minimum of 3 huge breaks that would have all resulted in turnovers.

Oh wow the people who were for the seahawks are saying they lost cause of bad officiating. Never have heard this before. I'm not a fan of football remember this. I know the rules and watched the game. You have to realize football freaks, this is what I call you. Your team lost its okay their is next year. Be a man take the loss and move on to the pro bowl.

[quote name='Graystone']Oh wow the people who were for the seahawks are saying they lost cause of bad officiating. Never have heard this before. I'm not a fan of football remember this. I know the rules and watched the game. You have to realize football freaks, this is what I call you. Your team lost its okay their is next year. Be a man take the loss and move on to the pro bowl.[/QUOTE]

I wish people could be more like that..I dont like either teams either...infact being a Bills fan i had to endure 4 horrid losses...There were too many mistakes for the Seahawks to say that officiating was bad....infact they benefitted from a call where the Hasselbeck looked like he fumbled but he didnt. The seahawks looked like the Eagles last year in the last minute thirty...Horrible clock management and the fact that a first round bust could not get out of bounds...I also think it was from the push off by Jackson was a correct call becuase all he had to do was touch the defender to induce the penalty...the seahawks more screwed themselves than the officiating did to them....also that Shaun Alexander was shut down didnt help their cuase either...

I'm glad the Steelers won but the horrible calls left a bad taste in my mouth. Had the officials actually done their jobs the game would have been a lot closer and more enjoyable to watch.

Do you guys realize that the Steelers only got called for 3 penalties the whole game!!!

Two of those penalties were on the 1st drive via false starts within the 1st 2 minutes of the game!!!!!!

That means that for roughly 58 minutes of a 60 minute game they only had 1 penalty called!!!!!!!

This could've been a great game but now i look on it as an ok superbowl.

[quote name='Yusuke-Urameshi-']Maybe the Steelers just know how to play the game and know the rules?[/QUOTE]
QFT.

did mike holgram go shake cowers hand?

[quote name='Yusuke-Urameshi-']Maybe the Steelers just know how to play the game and know the rules?[/QUOTE]

yep. You know this is only being brought up because they won and got a few calls. No one is going to point out that they had LESS calls aganist them in the Indy game and aside from the Denver game, they had 4 or less penalties in every game in the playoffs.

Congratulations to the Steelers and their fans. Most boring Super Bowl I've ever watched and the officiating was bad, but it's not the first time that's ever happened. Well, now we have the draft to look forward to in another couple of motnhs and before you know it training camp will be here.

[quote name='Ma12kez']I think the Steelers have a good chance, besides I think the BUS deserves a championship:applause:[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

the commercials and the half time show sucked balls. The stones almost put me to sleep, I had to get up and get some soda.

[quote name='DT778']the commercials and the half time show sucked balls. The stones almost put me to sleep, I had to get up and get some soda.[/QUOTE]

Most accurate statement I've heard all night. Where were the trailers for X-Men 3 and Super Man Returns? I thought they'd bring out new trailers for both of those for the Super Bowl.

[quote name='DT778']QFT.

did mike holgram go shake cowers hand?[/QUOTE]

No he did not you could read Bill's lips @ the end of the game asking "where is Mike?"
I made a post about about it a page or 2 back. It is BS and it shows how much of a man Mike is :whistle2:#

bread's done
Back