2008-09 NHL Thread - Stanley Cup Finals begin May 30!!!

Yes at the end they did. I don't think they were booing cause the cup left. Come on you know its funny about HOSSA. He gets what he deserves.

Nope I play ice. Pretty much the only person in the 90's that actually played ice hockey in north ga.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Yes at the end they did. I don't think they were booing cause the cup left. Come on you know its funny about HOSSA. He gets what he deserves.

Nope I play ice. Pretty much the only person in the 90's that actually played ice hockey in north ga.[/QUOTE]

Ignore list +1.

BTW the majority of the Wings fans can eat a dick.

At work I grew tired of all the Wings fans telling me how they were the best team ever and no one could beat them.

Their arrogance is almost on the level of Yankee fans, and that's pretty bad.

So yeah, cry me a river and hopefully the Capitals will win it one of these years.

Well the Pens got it done when they needed to. Played solid and limited the Wings chances the last two games. That coach did a great job.

My boys just didn't have it tonight. They looked out of sync most of the game. Tough losing in game seven but it was a hell of a job defending the Cup. Despite what some people think the future is quite bright and the Wings will be contenders for years to come. That is all I can ask for.

See you next season.

Regular season starts on Saturday.
signature_deepthakur.jpg

That was an AWESOME game 7... shocked the Pens came away with it...

two killer saves to end the game.

great game all around. Detroit was so physical and still couldn't take it.

stellar game.

I won a lot of money on this game. Yay me!

I missed the game, but it's cool.

Congrats Pens fans! I'm not sorry for Wings fans because the team won last year, and they are going to be pretty good next year too.

I DID think it was ironic or funny.. the whole Hossa thing... Can't beat 'em join 'em.. Can't beat 'em... JOIN 'EM?.. I guess... not?

Well that's it. I'm upset but we were not getting enough pucks to the net and the powerplays were not good. Worst of all Hossa ironically lost to his old team. Overall we had a stellar season and went to the Cup finals twice in a row which is nothing to scoff at. Congrats Pens.

EDIT: Pens fans also booed at us last year. I was at game 6. Everybody just hates Crosby and Malkin if they are not on your team so that's the main reason they booed. Wouldn't worry too much about the class of the fans. If anything I think we complain too much about reffing because we think there is a conspiracy against us.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']Well that's it. I'm upset but we were not getting enough pucks to the net and the powerplays were not good. Worst of all Hossa ironically lost to his old team. Overall we had a stellar season and went to the Cup finals twice in a row which is nothing to scoff at. Congrats Pens.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, Hossa can have his own 'theory', just like, the Ewing Theory.

We'll be back next year. Hossa might be signed to a 7 year deal. He's still a great winger. He just had a bad series.

The lack of an icing call on Talbot's goal really upsets me though, as that's not a penalty that is really up to the discretion of the refs...but I feel like it was the deciding factor in tonights game. Whatever though. Congrats to the Pens. Enjoy it, ya'll will be eliminated in the first round next year. :)

I missed the game because of work. If it weren't for DTV change I would have been able to watch it since our shitty TV in the kitchen doesn't have a converter box. Being a wings fan I'm pretty upset but it was a great finish to a good series. Like redshadow said Pens will go down in the first round next year (I hope).

[quote name='evanft']Ignore list +1.[/QUOTE]

Oh...... TEAR!

Most be a little sissy cry baby.........kinda like hossa :)

The refs for these playoffs should be fired. They did a shitty job. Both teams got away with a lot of bs then they would call non penalities. If your going to let them play...let them play, don't start calling stuff in games 3 4 5 then nothing in 6 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchb3rry']
EDIT: Yes, it was great to see Lemeiux lift the cup. These were my two favorite teams, Mario and Steve Yzerman my favorite players.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the same for me. Lemieux and Yzerman are my favorite (former) players. I will always support their teams, but I do not like Crosby. I think Malkin is more like Mario, than Sid. I am glad malkin got the MVP, so he starts getting some recognition not only in the NHL, but in the card market.

[quote name='Matt Young']What a great Game 7. That was easily the most excited I have been for any hockey game not involving the Kings or Ontario Reign. Sweaty palms, heart racing... I was loving it the whole way through. Detroit losing and Marian Hossa being beaten by his old team made it even better.[/QUOTE]

This is the worst day of the season - no more hockey for a number of months.

This game 7 is only beat, in my memories, by the Canucks/Rangers finals from 15 years ago.

And Hossa's missing another Cup is 100% the best part of it all. Hockey players and fans are crazy superstitious. Time to come to the realization that Hossa is Stanley Cup kryptonite.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']The refs for these playoffs should be fired. They did a shitty job. Both teams got away with a lot of bs then they would call non penalities. If your going to let them play...let them play, don't start calling stuff in games 3 4 5 then nothing in 6 7.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of anyone's allegiances in this thread, I think this is something that we can all agree on.

The Chicago-Calgary series, as much as I enjoyed it, was out of control from an officiating standpoint. Johan Franzen interferes with someone on every shift. Hal Gill holds someone every shift. Alex Semin might as well be Dr. Hook. Pronger was the slew-foot master. And they just let this shit go...

The no calls on interference across the board in the entire playoff were so frustrating that it's ridiculous. I personally blame McCreery.

[quote name='redshadow']Whatever though. Congrats to the Pens. Enjoy it, ya'll will be eliminated in the first round next year. :)[/QUOTE]

I think with this team they will make at least the conference finals next year. I think they need to re-sign Rob Scuderi and cut ties with Hal Gill he is way too slow. And if the price is right Fedotanko and Guerin should be back that would make their top three lines pretty solid and the same as they were rolling in the playoffs.

Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
Talbot-Malkin-Fedotanko
Cooke-Stall-Kennedy

[quote name='DestroVega']So when does Hossa sign a one-year deal with Pittsburgh?[/QUOTE]

No thanks we will pass this time

Remember: This thread started with a bunch of predictions. How did we do?

[quote name='siderealshift']I'm a Stars fan, but I'm betting on Detroit. They're always so damn good.[/QUOTE]

It was a safe bet, and it almost paid off.

[quote name='neworlbush25']Pittsburgh Penguins vs Detroit Red Wings,again. I would like the penguins cuz their my team, but the Wings are just too good[/QUOTE]

Oh, almost nailed it!

[quote name='dmes65']I would look for the Thrashers to be a contender this year, young talent mixed with some vets. Also the best goalie in the league.[/QUOTE]

...Thanks for playing. :applause:

(Also, I think we needed more images of Hossa crying after the game last night. At least NBC appreciated the irony -- right after the Penguins started celebrating, they cut to Hossa. :lol:)

[quote name='DestroVega']hey... what actually happened to Crosby... what type of injury was it?[/QUOTE]

His knee got tweaked between Frazen and the boards.

I thought it was his ribs.

Gill is pretty good on d....I think satan has GOT to go. Man he sucks! It hought he would fit in well in pitt. I am ashamed they let him play over sykora. What happened to boucher as well. I don't think I seen him all playoffs.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I thought it was his ribs.

Gill is pretty good on d....I think satan has GOT to go. Man he sucks![/QUOTE]

No it was a knee injury, they said upperbody on the bench but later Crosby said it was his knee. And Gill is good as long as he does not have to move, he is like a pylon out there. And Satan pretty much blocked a slapshot last night that was going into a half open net.

[quote name='redshadow']The lack of an icing call on Talbot's goal really upsets me though, as that's not a penalty that is really up to the discretion of the refs...but I feel like it was the deciding factor in tonights game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was a bad call, but what you gonna do. Pens came back being down 0-2 and 2-3. They earned it.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']The refs for these playoffs should be fired. They did a shitty job. Both teams got away with a lot of bs then they would call non penalities. If your going to let them play...let them play, don't start calling stuff in games 3 4 5 then nothing in 6 7.[/QUOTE]

It seemed to me the deeper we got in the playoffs the farther away from the regular season standard things got. The Wings and Pens both by the end were simply doing anything they could get away with.

[quote name='mykevermin']This is the worst day of the season - no more hockey for a number of months.[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth! Comon 09-10 season!

[quote name='shieryda']Wings need to trade Brad Stuart.[/QUOTE]

Brad Stuart was probably the teams best d-man in the Hawks and Ducks series. I don't want him going anywhere. Jonathan Ericsson will get a ton of time next regular season and will help spread out the minutes. Something that was missing the entire post season with Lilja being out the last 3 months.

I was sad to see stuff that during the regular season would have been called a million times over then the refs just going blind in the finials. I know they didn't want to make a "bad" call and cost someone a game or hell the trophy, but with what was going on the ice people could have been seriouly injured. The hitting, slashing, hooking, and interference was getting out of hand. I loved it... but it was a complete melt down.

All most every play behind the action someone was either giving or recieving something that should have been called.

Things could have went alot different if things had been called like they had in the reg season. Not that I want to change how it ended. =) I kinda think it was rigged in a way. I think the NHL WANTS the games to go to 7. Means more tv time which they can sell commericials, and more ticket sales. I think the refs had a helping had in that. Its easy to tell the refs to call more or les on one team in the hopes of making a team win to extend the series.

I admit there are times where I take hockey for granted about being able to watch it, but I'm having some serious withdrawl issues now. All that's on til fall is inferior sports...

Hossa got served, being a Penguins fan in Michigan is going to be weird now for me... i mean i been rooting for them since 1995... but man i wonder if people will hate me now when they see me in my coat. lol

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I thought it was his ribs.

Gill is pretty good on d....I think satan has GOT to go. Man he sucks! It hought he would fit in well in pitt. I am ashamed they let him play over sykora. What happened to boucher as well. I don't think I seen him all playoffs.[/QUOTE]
Sykora disappeared in Mid-March. Seriously...they should have put him on a Milk Carton.

I guess the only reason Zednik did not win the Masterton award was because he was on his way out of the NHL?

Otherwise, it's absolutely ridiculous that he didn't.

[quote name='mykevermin']I guess the only reason Zednik did not win the Masterton award was because he was on his way out of the NHL?

Otherwise, it's absolutely ridiculous that he didn't.[/QUOTE]

Nah I don't think so. All those votes are in right at the end of the season. Don't get me wrong most years he would have won easily. Sullivan is a good story coming back after almost two full years to play so well.

I think Andy Murray kind of got robbed though. Yes Julian did a great job in Boston, but Murray dealt with so many injuries and rookies.

I was happy to see Chara win if it wasn't going to be Lidstrom though. Green is a good offensive D. Chara on the other hand plays great at both ends and has gotten better every year.

Also it was good to see Pavel Datsyuk win both Bing & Selke. I was kinda doubting the Bing since he took that one game suspension for missing the All Star Game. I never thought he had a chance at the others though.

I say right around draft day we get the 09/10 season thread going.

Yeah. I don't know who said to trade Stuart, but aside from his bone-head plays that were few, yet they just came at terrible times, the guy was really one of our best D-men.

Chelios says he's got one more season in him and Holland tells him it's not with the Wings. I wish him the best and hope he finds success elsewhere cause really we just didn't have room for him anymore with the talent we have on the blue line.

last day before free agency begins. should see some signings and maybe even a trade or two.

rob blake resigned for 1 year with the sharks, took a 1.5 million paycut too. i like it. guerin resigned with the pens, 2.5 million paycut, great deal for the pens. the canes resigned jokinen also. will we see bouwmeester sign with the flames? will heatley get dealt?

The Kings announced their schedule for the upcoming season. They open at Staples Center for the first time since 2002-03, playing their first 3 games at home.

bread's done
Back