2008 CAG Election - Who's your choice?

DesertEagleXIX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
If today was election today, what candidate would get your vote?

I know some will say they can't make a decision without VP's being named, but let's conduct an informal affair here.

Barack came close to losing my vote to Hillary, but the whole gas tax issue swung me back the other way.

I look forward to seeing what happens in my state tomorrow.

If you asked me if I'd like my eye removed, be raped by a random quadraped, or have a sadist go crazy on my nuts with a staple gun, I'd have to respectfully say "Surprise me"

I honestly can't vote for any of the listed.

MAYBE Ron Paul, depending on the mood I was in, and if he was running as an independent.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Not even Wombat?[/QUOTE]

I don't know him well enough. Or his issues :).

And I'm not sure we need another President that actually CAN spend over 100 hours in Oblivion :)

[quote name='thrustbucket']And I'm not sure we need another President that actually CAN spend over 100 hours in Oblivion :)[/QUOTE]

I doubt our current commander in chief could wrap his head around Pac-Man, though...

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']^ He beat it after he bought the strategery guide.[/QUOTE]

Don't laugh there was a strategy guide for pac-man. It was a Reader's Digest-sized guide to the 'patterns'. I was too young to memorize it, however.

Not voting for any of those guys, although I went ahead and put Wombat to register my rejection of the entirely unacceptable three main-party candidates. Do yourself a favor and reject the Demlicans and Republicrats, people.

im really not looking forward to the election (seems like its been this way ever since i could first vote (gore v bush 2000)) but i think it will probably come down to their running mates because its more or less a coin flip for me.

You all need to get off your high fuckin horses: "Noooooo!! None of the candidates are good enough for MY vote!"

There is no such thing as a "perfect" candidate. If everybody refused to vote for anybody whose policies they didn't completely agree with, nobody would vote at all.

Further, NONE of these candidates are really that bad. Hillary is ambitious and would make a great political leader. Obama is charismatic and a great speaker and a fantastic figurehead for our government. I mean fuck, even McCain is pretty moderate and extremely diplomatic and reasonable compared to Bush.

Vote or don't vote, I don't care. It just gets my goat when people bitch and wine about how there is nobody to vote for so they're just gonna not vote, especially in a race with such a high calibre of candidates. Go watch the S. Park episode about a douchebag and a turd sandwhcih is you're not convinced. I know it isn't saying much, but they'll ALL be better.

JMO.

[quote name='pittpizza']
Vote or don't vote, I don't care. It just gets my goat when people bitch and wine about how there is nobody to vote for so they're just gonna not vote, especially in a race with such a high calibre of candidates. Go watch the S. Park episode about a douchebag and a turd sandwhcih is you're not convinced. I know it isn't saying much, but they'll ALL be better.

JMO.[/QUOTE]

Some people are disgusted by just how far left all of politics has gone. Some people feel that there is no such thing as a party or electable candidate that represents real conservative values, much to your delight. You are clearly happy that we have three candidates that are left of center, but millions are not.

I ask you this: if we had three candidates to choose from that were at least, if not more, neo-con as Bush, would you still vote?
I'll make it easier - between Pat Buchanan, Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity, who would you vote for?
Maybe now you understand....

[quote name='thrustbucket']Some people are disgusted by just how far left all of politics has gone.[/QUOTE]

thrust says he has been to Europe, particularly Sweden. If he thinks that any of the current crop of candidates are far left it should be taken as prima facie evidence of him lying.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Some people are disgusted by just how far left all of politics has gone. Some people feel that there is no such thing as a party or electable candidate that represents real conservative values, much to your delight. You are clearly happy that we have three candidates that are left of center, but millions are not.

I ask you this: if we had three candidates to choose from that were at least, if not more, neo-con as Bush, would you still vote?
I'll make it easier - between Pat Buchanan, Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity, who would you vote for?
Maybe now you understand....[/quote]

I see your point, but disagree that inaction is the best course.

As a citizen in a democracy, you're foregoing your only opportunity for meaningful input.

Your analogy with the neocons is well taken; I understand what you're getting at. But as an active citizen, I would find out and take into consideration everything I normally would, then vote for the one that was closest to my positions; and I would do it happily, with the understanding that this is simply how our government works. It's a democracy: the rule of all. If NONE of the candidates are agreeable to me, it's indicative that my positions vary from the will of the all. The only way to change that is to (1) move, or (2) vote for the one nearest me. Abstaining does nothing.

Regardless of how far away they are, by voting for the one that is nearest, you are ensuring that the elected office moves more towards your direction, even if it is still far away from it.

Ann Couter hates how moderate McCain is, yet she is still in a better position if he gets elected as compared to Obama.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

[quote name='pittpizza']

Do you see what I'm getting at?[/QUOTE]

Yes. You make good points, and it's not that I don't intend to vote.

My personal dilemma right now is do I write in a name of someone I really like, knowing it's a waste, out of principle? Or should to pick one of the two that will be on the ballot, even though it disgusts me?

Choices choices...

My opinion: Don't waste your vote. Pick the one closest to your views, it's how the system is supposed to work and it would work a lot better (government would more precisely reflect the will of the people) if everybody voted that way instead of just not voting or writing in someone.

BTW thrust, you've made my morning FLY by, lol.

Today is the Indiana primary and I chose to abstain from voting. The presidential nomination has been the only thing the local media has been covering so I don't feel comfortable voting. Maybe by the time November rolls around I will have an idea but as of right now the ballot may as well say "John Doe" or "Jane Doe" (or in Northwest Indiana's case "John Doe, Jr.") over and over again.

[quote name='peteloaf']Today is the Indiana primary and I chose to abstain from voting. The presidential nomination has been the only thing the local media has been covering so I don't feel comfortable voting. Maybe by the time November rolls around I will have an idea but as of right now the ballot may as well say "John Doe" or "Jane Doe" (or in Northwest Indiana's case "John Doe, Jr.") over and over again.[/QUOTE]

wow, one of the few times your state can play a big role in selecting the nominee and you abstain? because you "dont feel comfortable"? cmon!

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']wow, one of the few times your state can play a big role in selecting the nominee and you abstain? because you "dont feel comfortable"? cmon![/quote]

You're right, as an uninformed voter I should do my part in putting people into power. Should I vote for the coolest last names or eenie meenie minie moe it?

RAMSTORIA is right. With all of the coverage they have been getting you really didn't have any reason to not be informed of their positions.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']RAMSTORIA is right. With all of the coverage they have been getting you really didn't have any reason to not be informed of their positions.[/quote]

Not their positions, local candidates positions. The candidates that affect my day to day lives. The candidates who raise county taxes, the candidates who ignore the local heroin epidemic, the candidates who put forward major (and needless) street renovations. I won't be part of giving them a job if I feel I am uniformed on their positions.

I don't know maybe that's not as important as voting as voting for a presidential election that I actually have no say in, as this will be decided in one giant legal pissing match. Neither can win without MAJOR voter disenfranchisement. Yea, I want to be part of that.

[quote name='pittpizza']You all need to get off your high fuckin horses: "Noooooo!! None of the candidates are good enough for MY vote!"

There is no such thing as a "perfect" candidate. If everybody refused to vote for anybody whose policies they didn't completely agree with, nobody would vote at all.[/quote]

I do not ask for a perfect candidate, because as you rightly observe there are none. However, perfect is way, way too far away from the two major parties for me to consider them.

[quote name='pittpizza']Further, NONE of these candidates are really that bad. Hillary is ambitious and would make a great political leader. Obama is charismatic and a great speaker and a fantastic figurehead for our government. I mean fuck, even McCain is pretty moderate and extremely diplomatic and reasonable compared to Bush.[/quote]

I disagree. They all support dumbass policies that will at best continue the status quo and at worst make things much, much worse.

[quote name='pittpizza']Vote or don't vote, I don't care. It just gets my goat when people bitch and wine about how there is nobody to vote for so they're just gonna not vote, especially in a race with such a high calibre of candidates. Go watch the S. Park episode about a douchebag and a turd sandwhcih is you're not convinced. I know it isn't saying much, but they'll ALL be better.

JMO.[/QUOTE]

Of course I'm going to vote, but not for a continuation of the situation we've gotten ourselves into with our foolish acceptance of the bad candidate vs even worse candidate dichotomy.

[quote name='pittpizza']My opinion: Don't waste your vote. Pick the one closest to your views, it's how the system is supposed to work and it would work a lot better (government would more precisely reflect the will of the people) if everybody voted that way instead of just not voting or writing in someone.[/QUOTE]

As I've observed many a time on this forum before, refusing to pick one evil over another is hardly "wasting" your vote. Think about it: If you always vote Democrat or Republican, do you think there will ever be another choice that can realistically win? The answer is no. By not voting for one of the two major parties, you're voting against them being the only choice. If, say, 15 or 20 percent of people started doing this, you don't think an alternative to the douche v turd races we get all the time right now would emerge?

Bottom line, don't vote for someone you don't like, even if that someone is a little better than the other guy.

[quote name='elprincipe']As I've observed many a time on this forum before, refusing to pick one evil over another is hardly "wasting" your vote. Think about it: If you always vote Democrat or Republican, do you think there will ever be another choice that can realistically win? The answer is no. By not voting for one of the two major parties, you're voting against them being the only choice. If, say, 15 or 20 percent of people started doing this, you don't think an alternative to the douche v turd races we get all the time right now would emerge?

Bottom line, don't vote for someone you don't like, even if that someone is a little better than the other guy.[/quote]

Since our 2 party system is so deeply ingrained... it's really hard to convince the masses of your logic.

Most people vote on the basis of:
OMG, he's so handsome, so I'll vote for him.
OMG, I always vote Republican so I'll vote for that guy.
OMG, I always vote Democrat so I'll vote for this guy.
OMG, she's a woman, I'm also a woman, so I'll vote for her because she's a woman.
OMG, she's a woman, women are not fit to be president, so I won't vote for her.
OMG, he's black and I'm black, so I'll vote for him.
OMG, he's black and I'm not black, so I'll never vote for him.
OMG, he's black and I'm white; I'll vote for him so that he'll be my virtual black friend that I never had, and besides, my guilt will be assuaged.
And of course then there's me: OMG, he's going to lower my taxes, score! I'll vote for that guy.
(before anyone complains, this list is not complete; feel free to substitute other racial, party, or ideological combinations).

Basically, my argument is that people either vote in a rather strict 2 party system based on whims or based on what they perceive a candidate can do for them.

[quote name='pittpizza']My turn: :wall:[/quote]

Most states are not close. What is wrong with a vote of no confidence based on the candidates available?

If your options are bullshit and horseshit for dinner, can't you state shit is unacceptable for dinner?

A "none of the above" choice would be nice, and might embarass the gov't into actually doing something.

Someone here said it alread, but I ultimately agree with them wholeheartedly.

After viewing the "goals" and especially records of the three candidates, it is my conclusion that at best we will get more of the same, and at worst we will get much worse.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Someone here said it alread, but I ultimately agree with them wholeheartedly.

After viewing the "goals" and especially records of the three candidates, it is my conclusion that at best we will get more of the same, and at worst we will get much worse.[/quote]

Real power is in the Congress. Will there be a giant shift one way or the other? The President is the head of the government. The Congress is the neck.

[quote name='BigT']Since our 2 party system is so deeply ingrained... it's really hard to convince the masses of your logic.

Most people vote on the basis of:
OMG, he's so handsome, so I'll vote for him.
OMG, I always vote Republican so I'll vote for that guy.
OMG, I always vote Democrat so I'll vote for this guy.
OMG, she's a woman, I'm also a woman, so I'll vote for her because she's a woman.
OMG, she's a woman, women are not fit to be president, so I won't vote for her.
OMG, he's black and I'm black, so I'll vote for him.
OMG, he's black and I'm not black, so I'll never vote for him.
OMG, he's black and I'm white; I'll vote for him so that he'll be my virtual black friend that I never had, and besides, my guilt will be assuaged.
And of course then there's me: OMG, he's going to lower my taxes, score! I'll vote for that guy.
(before anyone complains, this list is not complete; feel free to substitute other racial, party, or ideological combinations).

Basically, my argument is that people either vote in a rather strict 2 party system based on whims or based on what they perceive a candidate can do for them.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know this is the case, and that is why it needs to change. But you're right, it certainly won't be easy.

bread's done
Back