2009 Pawn shop thread

kube00

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
Time to get with the times. Pawn shops the places where you can get money, and score cheap games!

So far this year its been
Uncharted for $16
Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Emerald for $8

Last edited by a moderator:
All $9.95:
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (Gamecube)
Aliens Vs. Predator: Extinction (Xbox)
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (Xbox)
Silent Hill 3 w/ Soundtrack (PS2)

$4.95:
Rock N' Roll Racing (SNES)

Picked these all up at Camp Lejune Pawn Shops on my way to the beach on Wednesday.

You guys are lucky you have decent pawn shops around you. All the ones around just sell a bunch of crappy PS2 and Xbox games for $10 each. One of them kept on trying to push a scratched up, ugly ass DS lite for $130 on me. I laughed in their face and left

yeah, my pawn shops around here are really hit and miss. sometimes i'll find a game worth buying, but it'll be marked at about 10 bucks more than i'm willing to pay.

silent hill 2 for ps2 for $25 was a perfect example. i would love to have that game, but not for $25 at a damn pawn shop.

Not a whole lot on the pawn shop front this week(one of my main pawns recently hired a hardcore gamer who cherry picks all the goodies/rarities), but I did get some great deals at my local game crazy for what it's worth... Ikaruga for $11? Okay, sure I'll take it!

I've been able to go to alot more pawn shops because of spring break. Found an awesome haul today:

Sega Genesis:
Sonic 3 (Complete)
Maximum Carnage (Complete)
Chiki Chiki Boys (w/ Box)

Cart only:
Galaxy Force II
Super Street Fighter II
Streets of Rage 3!!!!!

Game Gear (All cart only):
Sonic 2
X-men Mojo World
X-men
Incredible Hulk
Aladdin
Power Rangers

All were only 25 cents a piece!!! I spent like 3 dollars total. I was suprised because this was the rich peoples' pawn shop.

I'd try a pawn shop for selling and buying, but I don't think there are any around me. They are probably not that safe either...

[quote name='BearMan23']
All were only 25 cents a piece!!! I spent like 3 dollars total. I was suprised because this was the rich peoples' pawn shop.[/quote]

That's probably why, those people doesn't like to play with old stuff, and they're not in the business of reselling from pawnshop. They're probably ashame to walk into a pawnshop. :) Afraid that the neighbor might see them..

[quote name='VipFREAK']They are probably not that safe either...[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are all dangerous, and 9 out of 10 times you go into one you risk getting mugged, raped or shot.

:roll:

I Found Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy VIII and Resident Evil 3: Nemisis all for the PS1, all black label, and all mint condition at a pawn shop. The Final Fantasy VIII even came with a "mini-walkthrough." Interesting.

I paid $3 for each game. Good deal or no?

I also saw a Fatal Frame for the PS2 there, but I wasn't sure if that was a viable flip anymore. Can anyone enlighten me?

Fatal Frame is still selling for $35-$45 on Ebay & Amazon, so go get it.

...Oh and you got a pretty good deal on the PS1 games too.

I picked up a Fatal Frame three weeks ago at a Pawn Shop and sold it for $47.99 within minutes of posting it to eBay. Go get it now.

I picked up a pretty good haul on thursday from multiple pawn shops.
Resistance 2 (PS3) $20
Civiliaztion: Revolution (PS3) $15
NHL 2K9 (PS3) $15
Left 4 Dead (XBOX 360) $20
Mortal Kombat vs. DC (XBOX 360) $20
Playboy: The Mansion (PS2) $8
Dark Cloud 2 (PS2) $9
Zelda: Collector's Edition (GC) $11
ActRaiser 2 (SNES) $5
Pokemon Ruby (GBA) $9
U2 No Line on the Horizon Limited Edition Box Set (CD) $13
Life Season One (DVD) $5
House Season One (DVD) $9
Castlevania II, Double Dragon III, & Super Dodge Ball (NES) $10

I can't stress it enough, get a cell phone that allows you to access Amazon. I have my Blackberry set up with one of the shortcut keys on the side of the phone to pull up Amazon when I press it. Then it takes less than a minute to look up anything I need. I've made money just having this.

Had a great, mario-tastic haul after work today:

Xbox 360
-Final Fantasy XI: Van'Diel Collection $12
-Guitar Hero World Tour & Dynasty Warriors 5 $20 (part of a 2 for $20 sale, usually they pull all the newer/good games but GH must've slipped through the cracks)

PS3
-Battlefield Bad Company $8(this and FFXI weren't actually from a pawn, but it's a local small time shop so I think it still counts as such)

PSX (both complete - $1 each)
-Resident Evil(black label, pre-dual shock jewel case version)
-Twisted Metal (greatest hits)

GBA/GBC (all $10)
-Donkey Kong Country
-Mario Advance 4
-Mario & Luigi
-Super Mario Bros DX

N64/SNES
-Super Mario 64 $5
-Mario All Stars $4

Overall I'm very pleased... unfortunately I think this pawn's been getting more proactive in pricing games. I tried to knock all the gameboy games down in price since I was buying quite a few, but one of the other workers (with a rather displeased voice) shouted to the guy across the room "all mario games STAY at the sticker price" Haha oh well.

Saw a 360 Dead Space the other day for $20, too bad I already 1000/1000'd that game a long time ago or I would have bitten. Their selection is generally pretty bad.

My pawn has not gotten mush gaming related in lately, but I did manage to grab several copies of FFVII this January, the only thing worth mentioning lately was a copy of Soul nomad, and Valkyrie profile 2 for $5 apiece, I probably could have gotten them cheaper, but I buy alot of stuff there and like to make them happy. I think they turned down a huge lot of colorvision NES games on saturday though...the lot is no on sale at the local game store.

I also got a nice Anime lot there to resell afew weeks ago.

Got LoZ:MM for $5, cart only.

Anyone know anything definitive on the hologram vs. non-hologram versions? Is the latter actually rarer?

scored pretty big today, a new pawn shop just opened near my house. Picked up Suikoden 1 and Parasite Eve black label in mint condish for 5 bucks each. Pretty psyched to say the least. I owned both games already, so if anyone wants to trade for them check my list.

[quote name='aniousjoe']Got LoZ:MM for $5, cart only.

Anyone know anything definitive on the hologram vs. non-hologram versions? Is the latter actually rarer?[/quote]

The hologram one was the equivalent of the collector's edition of OoT. My brother preordered MM and got the Hologram cart, so I'd say it is more rare. The thing about MM, though is that it is the red-headed step child of the 3D Zelda games. It doesn't have the biggest following amongst Zelda fans to say the least.

um. well i'm kinda new to the forum, but first of all, just a quick question: what are black labeled games? and also, is there an easier way to finding pawn shops around your particular area? I mean i've been looking around, but mostly there are only retail game stores and such.

[quote name='sk1p2my1u']um. well i'm kinda new to the forum, but first of all, just a quick question: what are black labeled games? and also, is there an easier way to finding pawn shops around your particular area? I mean i've been looking around, but mostly there are only retail game stores and such.[/QUOTE]

http://images.google.com/images?hl=...y+8+greatest+hits&btnG=Search+Images&aq=f&oq=

Take a look at the two different types of covers there are. Whats the difference?

[quote name='sk1p2my1u']and also, is there an easier way to finding pawn shops around your particular area? I mean i've been looking around, but mostly there are only retail game stores and such.[/quote]

Have you tried google maps, yellow pages, that kind of thing? I can't find any pawn shops either, and the few I did find are just "jewelry traders" or whatever.

Got the Halo 3 Collector's Edition (no slip cover), GodoW2 Guide, & Champions: Return to Arms Guide for $20 total. Traded the Halo 3 disc for $11 cuz I really only wanted the bonus stuff.

I have spent the past couple of months packing & moving, so I have not been able to go pawn shopping in a while. Today I went to one of my favorite shops and got...

:ps2:
Odin Sphere--$4.99
Ys: The Ark Of Napishtim--$4.99

:gc:
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes--$4.99

All were complete, and in very good shape.

I visited one of my local pawn shops and didn't see crap.. but I overheard some...

There was a PS3 in the case with a $275 tag on it. Not sure which model, but a customer (friend of the owner) asked how much he gave for it. Owner said, $100. I left.

They didn't have anything good anyway. Knew there was a reason I hadn't been there in about 4 years.

[quote name='commandercody83']I visited one of my local pawn shops and didn't see crap.. but I overheard some...

There was a PS3 in the case with a $275 tag on it. Not sure which model, but a customer (friend of the owner) asked how much he gave for it. Owner said, $100. I left.

They didn't have anything good anyway. Knew there was a reason I hadn't been there in about 4 years.[/QUOTE]

You aparently dont know how pawn shops work, They give people that need money cash for their items, usualy less that %50 of what they will sell it for. If you were a regular customer there they probably would have given you at least $50-75 off of that price. always try to state your price at a pawn!!

My deal of the week: Wii with Wireless sensor bar - $100(sold to game store next door for $150 5 min later) paid for my copy of Fable 2!!! lol.

shining in the darkness for $5
the one i go to has a flat rate of 5 bucks for any cart. some times they have some stuff that makes it worthwhile. sometimes not.

My pawn shop use to have really good deals now its garbage. Games on ps3/360 use to be 15-25. Now they price more popular ones/better selling ones at 30-40 bucks. Seems like someone got smart that works there, and prices it the same as ebay or around. The even stranger part is they sale... Its a pawn shop not ebay =/

a couple of weeks ago i picked up the following:

PS1: Resident evil 1 (complete and flawless with jewel case)
PS1: Resident Evil 1 DC DS (complete and flawless with jewel case)
PS1: PGA Tour 96 (complete and flawless with slighty damaged long box)
Ps1: NFL Gameday (complete and Flawless with long box)

all for $13. funny thing about it was that when i asked him for the price of both RE games and PGA tour he said $15 for all. then i asked him to include the gameday and he said "how bout $13 for the lot?" WTF?!?! didnt argue with him and gave him the money and went on my way.

Stopped by the pawn I go to very rarely, and noticed they had one of the burger king games marked $11.99. (There's a reason I don't go there very often.) Didn't buy anything.

went to three locally-owned pawn shops here today for the first time, hoping that with school just getting out and people needing money to travel home there might be some good stuff. unfortunately there wasn't. it was pretty much sports game-fest 2k9. the first place i went to had a big sign right when i walked in that said "all genesis and snes games $2" so i was pretty pumped, but i dont need nba live 95 or madden 96.

the second place i went to was the only one that had next-gen games, and it was basically all sports games again.

i did get the complete godfather dvd collection from the last place i went to for $7, so i was pretty happy with that. the discs are flawless and the box is in nice shape too.

bread's done
Back