2010 Blu-ray $14.99

[quote name='Squall835']Has anyone seen this movie? I love 2001, but I've heard bad things about this one.[/QUOTE]
Even though it's a sequel it's made in a completely different style, which is why it gets a lot of hate. I enjoyed it because I went into it knowing this but I can understand why so many people don't like it.

For those with XBL and netflix, it's available to stream. Some sites are reporting it is just the movie with no new features.... shame that Roy Scheider died last year as a commentary with the cast and director would have been a nice feature.

I just can't see this being good based on it being a 2001 sequel... a movie I have grown to love intensely.

I'm really tempted. That is a good price. I picked up the HD-DVD version of 2001 since I hadn't seen the Blu-ray under $20. It's nice to see a Blu-ray come out at around the usual retail price of DVDs.

[quote name='ITDEFX']For those with XBL and netflix, it's available to stream. Some sites are reporting it is just the movie with no new features.... shame that Roy Scheider died last year as a commentary with the cast and director would have been a nice feature.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up!

Good movie, but not the style of the original. Completely different feel. It is based upon the Arthur Clarke book and follow it very closely. Clarke also co-wrote 2001 with Kubrick.

Great movie guys, if you haven't seen it, I recommend it.
iy.gif

iy.gif

FYI most of Warner's catalog titles due in April appear to be this price. American History X, Final Destination, Collateral Damages and a few others are at the same price point.

[quote name='DestroVega']I just can't see this being good based on it being a 2001 sequel... a movie I have grown to love intensely.[/QUOTE]

it's actually a really good companion piece to 2001... it's far more of a straight sci-fi movie than 2001 was, while attempting to answer some of the questions that remained unanswered by 2001.

at $15, it's a pretty decent deal.

[edit] um, what's up with this...

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1

[quote name='edwardya']got mines shipped today! cant wait..[/quote]

The listing says it doesn't come out until April...is it wrong?

[quote name='Squall835']Has anyone seen this movie? I love 2001, but I've heard bad things about this one.[/QUOTE]
If you like 2001 and expect this movie to even be remotely close to being the same...well then you'll be horribly disappointed. 2010 is a straight forward scifi movie with an 1980s sensibility thrown in. The plot isn't as ambiguous as 2001 and quite frankly the movie doesn't look as nice. Basically its a very standard scifi movie of it's area (luckily its a good movie too). Thankfully the director of this film doesn't try to make it a rip off of 2001, really he made it his own kind of film...which I will say is very respectable.

2001 on the other hand is visual poetry. Every shot in that movie is just jaw dropping...the only movie that comes close to having the same visual impact is 2007's Sunshine (this movie starts off great and ends very flat). Thats really sad because 2001 was made in the 1960s that predated space travel...pretty fucking weird to think about how much of that movie is dead on.

The only thing that 2010 has in common with 2001 is that some background is explained and its loose continuation of the plot of 2001. 2010 is more like a continuation of the book series on film. While 2001 is really it's own beast all together. I really don't consider 2010 to be a direct sequel to the film 2001, as I said before it's more like the books. So just consider it the filming of the book series. For 10-15 bucks 2010 is worth owning. It's really not a terrible movie, but it most certainly is clouded by the legacy of 2001 (right fully so).

Lots of cold war tension dates the film (since it is supposed to take place a year from now, but the politics seem straight out of 1985). I saw it when it came out, and still can sit through it.

[quote name='ITDEFX']For those with XBL and netflix, it's available to stream. Some sites are reporting it is just the movie with no new features.... shame that Roy Scheider died last year as a commentary with the cast and director would have been a nice feature.[/QUOTE]

The XBL/Netflix version is the same 2.35:1 Letterbox (non-anamorphic) version that is on the dual Widescreen/Pan'N'Scam DVD. The Bluray edition on the other hand is a new 1080p 2.35:1 Widescreen transfer. That alone to me is worth getting the Bluray for..... and in this case upgrading from the DVD. :D

As far as comparing this to "2001" I really don't. At best its a decent 1980s era Sci-Fi film that has some dated storylines relating to the Cold War. Its still enjoyable and certainly has its fun moments but don't go into expecting it to be a true sequel to "2001."

I will admit the 5.1 mix on the DVD does have a few really NICE spots that will show off your setup. :drool:

And this movie fully blows ass in Pan'N'Scam aka "Full Screen." This movie really does use the Widescreen format.

A great movie, go get it!Saw it like 3 months ago, and loved it!2001 is different, but is also a great movie!

I liked this movie especially after reading all 4 books. TBH I kind of liked it better than 2001 considering it had more dialogue and a more centralized plot. 2001 was mostly between Dave and HAL and was mostly about him killing him. Don't get me wrong, 2001 was good but 2010 is more of an actual movie.

bread's done
Back