2010 Winter Olympics

[quote name='Matt Young']Canada is just raping Germany. Glad to see it... I'm looking forward to a potential USA vs. Canada rematch after that excellent game on Sunday.

By the way, guys, the internet says that the USA game tomorrow is supposed to be televised on NBC at noon Pacific/3 Eastern, but my DirecTV guide lists Ellen and other shit. Will the game indeed be televised? Neither NBC, msNBC, cNBC, nor USA has any Olympic events listed for that time tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
It is on NBC regardless of what your TV provider says.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']It is on NBC regardless of what your TV provider says.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no... I found out that it's airing on tape delay here on the west coast, as is the freaking gold medal game! fuck you, NBC.

[quote name='Will']How is it "luck" that the USA Hockey Team had a better goalie? At what point did it become "luck" to have better players?

Just chalk it up to Canada just got OUT PLAYED.[/QUOTE]

Look at jedi's post. Canada was putting up a shooting gallery on Miller. Miller was just a rock in the net though and guys like Drury and Callahan played well blocking shots and taking away shooting lanes....but the US offense was dead late in the second and in the third. Broduer also let in some really soft goals which is uncharacteristic of him. He is better than that. Also every goal except for the last 2, Canada answered almost immediately. When Rafalski scored, Staal put one, when Rafalski put his second one in, Heatley scores..and when even Drury scored....Sidney Crosby scores. The US is going to have to start generating more offensive pressure because they were playing defense way too long. I dont know why people don't see that Canada still played great. Even Brian Burke wasn't thrilled with the US performance. In fact he thought it stunk. They can't play like that and expect to win gold against Canada or Russia. Guys like Malone, Pavelski, Dustin Brown...are all going to have to pick it up for them to have a better chance against those two teams. Thats why i thought it was a luck. I should choose my words more wisely next time. luck was the wrong word, I apologize. Solid Defense and Great Goaltending is what won it for the US...but they need to play the whole game though offensively and not stay pinned back in their own zone...especially with the caliber of players on Team Canada.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I wouldn't call it luck mostly skill, Miller is an solid goal tender and played amazing on Sunday. Seriously, the foundation of a great hockey team should always be solid goal tending(offense can only get you so far). The Blue Jackets were pretty meh last year, but because Steve Mason was playing solid they finally made the playoffs.

USA really does need to play three periods though to have a chance at going for gold. I believe it will as well as long as Canada beats Germany today and then they will face Russia tomorrow. The winner will then face Slovakia, Norway or Sweden Friday.

The USA will face the winner of Switz vs Belarus tomorrow then on Friday face Latvia, CR, or Finland.[/QUOTE]

Yeah shoulda thought of that when i posted previous comment. How could i forget about Brodeur and the Devils. The Devils would be no where without him in Net.

I just don't give a shit anymore... I want this crap over with so I can get back to knowing and being able to watch hockey. This is fucking ridiculous.

Just goto the Olympic site it has all the games times and channels, set your VCR/DVD/DVR if your not home.

Slovakia and Norway 12:30-2:30 EST CNBC
USA plays tomorrow 3-5 EST NBC
Teams TBA 7-10 EST CNBC
Teams TBA 10-12:30 EST CNBC

Freakin Czech Republic just scared the hell out of me. Absolutely unacceptable to blow a lead in the third like that. Whatever, lets hope Jagr is fit for Finland and the team as a whole needs to be alert.

We're at the point in the hockey where every game should be very competitive.

I'm out of this thread until tonight when I've seen the games for myself. Time to avoid spoilers.

What a horrible game from team USA. 1 goal (not counting the empty netter) against Switzerland? Sure, USA had way more shots, but few that mattered. What a horrible showing. USA didn't deserve to win.

Canada sure is looking crazy tonight. I kind of assumed Canada would win but it's 7-2 about half way through the 2nd now...a bit more than I thought against Russia.

Man, the refs and announcers were clearly against the Russians. That penalty to Semin at the end of the game was an absolute joke, and I can't believe how Eddie (I think that's who was talking) kept saying how dirty of a hit it was. There was tons of non-calls that Canada got away with as well.

That being said, Nabokov was garbage today (why the fuck did they wait until 6 goals were scored to pull him), so I am not even sure the refs calling more penalties would have helped any.

USA with another gem from Miller. The rest of team...well it was a win.

Russia got stomped. Waited way too long to pull Nabby. The were out hustled and dominated physically almost all night. Team Canada looked the team we thought we would see at the start of the Olympics.

Czechs are out of it and sadly I'm not surprised. This team didn't mesh well together with only certain individuals finding a way to shine. Vokoun was stellar throughout the tournament though.

[quote name='TC']USA with another gem from Miller. The rest of team...well it was a win.

Russia got stomped. Waited way too long to pull Nabby. The were out hustled and dominated physically almost all night. Team Canada looked the team we thought we would see at the start of the Olympics.[/QUOTE]

Miller didnt have to do much but he was stellar when he needed it to be. The rest put shots..but Statsny, Kessel, Malone, and Pavelski all need to pick up there game. I am very impressed by the rest of the team. Jack Johnson, Bobby Ryan, Brooks Orpik, Ryan Kesler...all will be bonified super stars..and The Rangers should be happy to have guys like Callahan and Drury. They were sacrificing their bodies all night long..and what a shot Gleeason took.

Once you saw Ovechkin give up, than it was over...especially when he should've out hustled Getzlaf for the puck along the boards. It was nice to Feds again. I still miss him to this day. It also looks like Babcock has got his lines set up now..which should put every team on notice.

Edit: oh yeah as EJ Hradek pointed out during the ESPN chat(yeah i decided to go in there which was really cool) I have to agree that if Wilson should start thinking about shifting stastny out of the parise/langenbruener line....he has been invisible but he got a point today...hope that picks him up.

USA vs Canada womens gold medal game is tonight. Yeah I know its girls hockey, but with these two teams it should be a good match.

i cant watch womens hockey...

but at this point i think its going to be a USA/Canada gold medal rematch. that should be very interesting.

[quote name='TC']USA vs Canada womens gold medal game is tonight. Yeah I know its girls hockey, but with these two teams it should be a good match.[/QUOTE]

we're taking the gold :)

im canadian btw!

dont need to watch the clip to know that it wont last. people will watch the medal rounds, theyll love it if USA and pull the double upset. the ratings for the first NBC game after the olympics will be slightly higher, then itlll die down.

Anyone else think the decision to disqualify Ohno in the 500 meter race was completely bogus? The touch had nothing to do with the Canadian falling.

Glad to see him add one more medal in the relay though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all angry with the Canadians as their best skater clearly won them 2 golds tonight. I think the IOC should really look at how the skating is officiated though.

[quote name='thamaster24']Anyone else think the decision to disqualify Ohno in the 500 meter race was completely bogus? The touch had nothing to do with the Canadian falling.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all angry with the Canadians as their best skater clearly won them 2 golds tonight. I think the IOC should really look at how the skating is officiated though.[/QUOTE]
eh, Ohno has been skating long enough that he knows the risk. I was pissed he waited so late to make a move. It's like he was skating for Bronze.
I also didn't like how he said he felt it had to do with the judge being Canadian. That was weak, and stupid, of him. If you wanna think that, that's one thing. But don't talk about it, especially on tv.

[quote name='Strell']Speed skating relay has to be one of the biggest clusterfucks I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]
that's why i love it. some sports in the Olympics are the types of things you really get into, but only when it's the Olympics. I think I could watch speed skating relays much more often

Also, I think it's lame that people are throwing a fit about the Canadian women hockey team celebrating on ice(after all the fans had left) by smoking cigars and drinking champagne/beer. It's legit to raise concerns about underage players, but let the rest celebrate.
And it is super lame of Scott Lago, American bronze medalist in Snowboarding, to get upset that he was forced to leave the games for his misconduct, yet nothing is said to the Canadians. Because pretending your medal is your penis and having a woman kiss it is pretty much the same as drinking champagne. Douche

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thamaster24']Anyone else think the decision to disqualify Ohno in the 500 meter race was completely bogus? The touch had nothing to do with the Canadian falling.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all angry with the Canadians as their best skater clearly won them 2 golds tonight. I think the IOC should really look at how the skating is officiated though.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have a problem with it if the Canadian that won the gold would have been disqualified too, as he had his hands on the South Korean, who ended up falling as well. The replays don't look like Ohno did any type of pushing, but on the angle they were all at, even the slightest balance shift can cause someone to fall, so he may have caused enough of a shift to make the guy fall. Like I said though, I don't get how the Canadian guy doesn't get disqualified too.

As for his comments, he was pretty stupid to say what he did.

[quote name='myl0r']Also, I think it's lame that people are throwing a fit about the Canadian women hockey team celebrating on ice(after all the fans had left) by smoking cigars and drinking champagne/beer. It's legit to raise concerns about underage players, but let the rest celebrate.
And it is super lame of Scott Lago, American bronze medalist in Snowboarding, to get upset that he was forced to leave the games for his misconduct, yet nothing is said to the Canadians. Because pretending your medal is your penis and having a woman kiss it is pretty much the same as drinking champagne. Douche[/QUOTE]

The women's hockey team celebration is completely overblown. The original media reports said nothing about the arena being empty, which is probably what caused a bigger story than it should have been. As you say, the only issue to this story is the possibility of under age drinking.

Yahoo has an interesting story on the Lago situation, that suggests he may have been set up in those pictures. Bad pictures are still bad, but if he was set up then I'd feel sorry for him, as a singular mental lapse would have made him look like an absolute asshole.

A note on the underage player: she's 18, and drinking is legal for her in her home province. The drinking age in British Columbia is 19. It sort-of alternates across the country as you go east (BC is 19, Alberta 18, Saskatchewan 19, Manitoba 18, etc.).

[quote name='The Crotch']A note on the underage player: she's 18, and drinking is legal for her in her home province. The drinking age in British Columbia is 19. It sort-of alternates across the country as you go east (BC is 19, Alberta 18, Saskatchewan 19, Manitoba 18, etc.).[/QUOTE]

I thought that might be the case, but did not know what each individual province did as far as legal drinking age.

So after watching some great curling matches and having an affinity for pool, I say lets start a CAG curling league. Who's in? :D

[quote name='The Crotch']A note on the underage player: she's 18, and drinking is legal for her in her home province. The drinking age in British Columbia is 19. It sort-of alternates across the country as you go east (BC is 19, Alberta 18, Saskatchewan 19, Manitoba 18, etc.).[/QUOTE]
I honestly hadn't heard much about it, but the only thing I did hear said she was 17, and the legal drinking age was 18.
Either way, the thing that pissed me off was Lago making a fuss about it. What he did and what they did are NOT the same thing.

Well... not quite. Like I said, Marie-Philip Poulin is 18, the drinking age in her home province is 18, and the drinking age in BC is 19.

fuck it man, she's Quebecois.

bread's done
Back