2010 World Cup Netherlands vs Spain

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']When you're on, you're on.

Great day for German soccer :cool:[/QUOTE]

Germany looked great out there! they played like a TEAM. Its something England can't do. Germany played with such exuberance and basically outclassed The Brits every side of the pitch. I think they need to follow suit with what Germany did and rehaul their whole team. Clearly Shrek Rooney is not ready for the world stage and only belongs in club football. In fact all of them sucked even Gerrard who had poor touches and chased shadows all over the field.

Its still going to be great Futbol regardless but still no care who wins. I won't stop watching the games though.

[quote name='integralsmatic']ENGLAND SUCKS!

Maybe i should not follow any team lol. What a joke. England Defense looks like swiss cheese out there.

Well my world cup has ended. both of my teams out and i can care less who wins it now.[/QUOTE]
I'm happy US and England are out....

Means more shots of the hot Brazilian/German women....and the festive Ghana outfits

Yeah, something really needs to be done about reffing in the box. Be it putting a ref on each end who stays behind or beside the goal and never leavers the box area, or having instant replay only for goal situations (whether ball is across the line, handballs, off sides etc.--probably not for fouls/penalties etc. as those are subjective and would be excluded from review like penalties in the NFL etc.).

FIFA isn't going to do it easily, going to take some major pro leagues like the Premiership or Series A implementing it and getting the kinks worked out. May need to start in some lesser Euro leagues (or even MLS) and trickle up from there.

Ugh, refereeing so far today was a fucking disgrace. England's equalizer could have completely changed the game going into halftime. Not saying we would have won, but that was fucking terrible.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Personally, I'm happy it didn't get called :cool:

The Germans got lazy after going up 2-0. I hope they straighten up for this next half - it'd be nice if a Germany/England game didn't go into extra time for once.[/QUOTE]

"That was karma for 1966" was a friend of mines response after it happened.

[quote name='Quillion']The biggest loser in the 2010 World Cup is FIFA's credibility.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5335440/ce/us/fifa-censor-stadium-replays?cc=5901&ver=us [/QUOTE]

I think this is a good decision. The officials don't have the tools to overturn blown calls. Fans have gotten violent in the past. Showing a blown call in the stadium doesn't serve any purpose.

[quote name='paddlefoot']"That was karma for 1966" was a friend of mines response after it happened.[/QUOTE]

I hope it was, all that decision meant was the game finished 4-1 instead of 4-2, I'd rather take the win in 66.

England were terrible, they were soundly beaten by a vastly superior team, disallowed goals or otherwise. Maybe this is the sacrifice that has been made to have the strongest league in the world.

EDIT - And damn there were some fine looking woman in that Germany crowd :drool:

[quote name='benjamouth']I hope it was, all that decision meant was the game finished 4-1 instead of 4-2, I'd rather take the win in 66.
[/QUOTE]

It's hard to be that certain of that. Going 2-2 into the locker room can make a huge difference. A team can play a lot different strategies when tied than down a goal. Down a goal you have to push more to get the equalizer and thus are more open to counter attacks etc.

Back today, Netherlands beat Slovakia 2-1. Wasn't as close as the score really. Brazil-Chile up in 45 minutes.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's hard to be that certain of that. Going 2-2 into the locker room can make a huge difference. A team can play a lot different strategies when tied than down a goal. Down a goal you have to push more to get the equalizer and thus are more open to counter attacks etc.[/QUOTE]

Granted it's hard to be certain, but after the defending (and I use that term loosely) on the first goal and the flat way the team came out in the 2nd half, I'm as sure as I can be.

Also if FIFA doesn't bring in some goal-line tech now, there's some seriously shady shit going on.

I agree, there needs to be goal line tech for sure, and ideally some form of instant replay at least for plays where a goal is scored/disallowed--plays where the ball is in the net and a flag going up didn't affect the play etc.

I'm sorta on the fence about the technology coming into professional soccer. Guess I'm a bit of a dinosaur in a way. I can sympathize with the romantic notions of keeping the game basic and human and such. I can see them wanting to keep the game separate from other "modernized" sports I guess. More pure in a way. I can also understand the desire to take advantage of the technology available - "advance" the sport. I mean it has been changed for better or worse with all the acting and diving and such. Technology is coming in to play with apparel and ball development and ref communication devices. I can understand why some wonder where is the line. I guess I'm still sort of against it. I really don't watch much pro soccer though. I am intimately familiar with it on a lesser level. I played club ball for 10+ years and was an assistant coach for two (class d license - coached U12).

i think of all sports soccer would be the one to embrace technology. or at the very least the world cup. i mean in baseball, there is some pretty tough calls at the bases and sometimes they are right, sometimes they get it wrong -- but most of the time people just shrug it off as part of the game.

however, taking a win away from a team in the World Cup, and not even being required to explain yourself is just amazing.

[quote name='bordjon']I'm sorta on the fence about the technology coming into professional soccer. Guess I'm a bit of a dinosaur in a way. I can sympathize with the romantic notions of keeping the game basic and human and such. I can see them wanting to keep the game separate from other "modernized" sports I guess. More pure in a way. I can also understand the desire to take advantage of the technology available - "advance" the sport. I mean it has been changed for better or worse with all the acting and diving and such. Technology is coming in to play with apparel and ball development and ref communication devices. I can understand why some wonder where is the line. I guess I'm still sort of against it. I really don't watch much pro soccer though. I am intimately familiar with it on a lesser level. I played club ball for 10+ years and was an assistant coach for two (class d license - coached U12).[/QUOTE]

Sure its nice to have that human sense about it but even Baseball has a home run replay now because its too hard to judge if either a fan interfered or if it just reached beyond the yellow lline. They dont have replays for strikes and outs but for home runs sure. Baseball still leaves the human element but yet they have instant replay for only home runs. Its not that bad.

I feel goal calls need to be 100% accurate. Bad Goals can decided matches and thats not how the game should be decided. It could cost teams everything from money to promotion to relegation as Mcmanaman said. In Futbol, every goal is crucial and they all happen to come at crucial times. They can't make mistakes when it comes to goal that can decide a match. I hate it that its too much in the refs to decide the game. It should never be down to the refs to decide the game.

If the NHL can implement goal technology...than FIFA can too. Its not like they are going to get rid of the human side of the game....but its reassuring or correcting a questionable goal. Thats all teams want.

Tense game earlier that went to penalties. Would've loved to have seen Japan make it through though.
8 teams left (after this afternoon's game): 4 South American, 3 European and 1 African.

Yeah I was pulling for Japan too.

*edit* - As an aside - Wolve11 - I have lusted after an Exige for years. There is a middle age lady who drives a purple one around here. Doubt I'll ever have one but man they are sweet.

[quote name='Wolve11']Tense game earlier that went to penalties. Would've loved to have seen Japan make it through though.
8 teams left (after this afternoon's game): 4 South American, 3 European and 1 African.[/QUOTE]

only 2 europeans will be left after the 2nd game today. This cup has to come back to this side of the world. I personally would like Argentina to take it. Between Portugal and Spain, I favor Portugal.

[quote name='anubis20']only 2 europeans will be left after the 2nd game today. This cup has to come back to this side of the world. I personally would like Argentina to take it. Between Portugal and Spain, I favor Portugal.[/QUOTE]

Germany, Netherlands, and winner of Spain/Portugal so that would be 3

[quote name='bordjon']Yeah I was pulling for Japan too.

*edit* - As an aside - Wolve11 - I have lusted after an Exige for years. There is a middle age lady who drives a purple one around here. Doubt I'll ever have one but man they are sweet.[/QUOTE]

I've had mine for about a week and I absolutely love it. Never heard about any factory purple Exiges, but custom paint jobs can be nice too. It is my dream car and I never thought I'd own it either, but I've been pretty fortunate in life, so don't write of your chances.

[quote name='anubis20']only 2 europeans will be left after the 2nd game today. This cup has to come back to this side of the world. I personally would like Argentina to take it. Between Portugal and Spain, I favor Portugal.[/QUOTE]

I want the Netherlands to win, but I sincerely doubt they'll be able to beat Brazil (or Argentina who they would probably meet in the final).
I'm going to say Spain. It'll be a great game either way. Crap I better turn my tv on now!

[quote name='62t']Germany, Netherlands, and winner of Spain/Portugal so that would be 3[/QUOTE]

You got it.

Really hope some of these defensive minded teams leave quickly. Portugal is killing the interest by putting 11 on their side of the field and hoping for a mistake, so they can score. Makes for a really boring game, when you acknowledge you're inferior to your opponent and you're just hoping to get lucky...man up, and show some balls, and go forward.

ZOypo.gif

[quote name='62t']Germany, Netherlands, and winner of Spain/Portugal so that would be 3[/QUOTE]

Damn I completely forgot about netherlands :cold:!!! well since the tourney is looking like this:

Untitled-2.jpg

On the left side im rooting for Uruguay or netherlands, with either one getting to the final I would be happy. On the right side Argentina all the way.

And this is the way the rest of the tournament plays out on the American TV schedule:

Friday, July 2nd:
Quarterfinal: Netherlands vs. Brazil - 9:30am, ESPN
Quarterfinal: Uruguay vs. Ghana - 2pm, ESPN

Saturday, July 3rd:
Quarterfinal: Argentina vs. Germany - 9:30am, ABC
Quarterfinal: Paraguay vs. Spain - 2pm, ABC

Tuesday, July 6th:
Semifinal: Winner of Uruguay/Ghana vs. Winner of Netherlands/Brazil - 2pm, ESPN

Wednesday, July 7th:
Semifinal: Winner of Argentina/Germany vs. Winner of Paraguay/Spain - 2pm, ESPN

Saturday, July 10th:
3rd-Place Play-Off: Loser of Uruguay/Ghana/Netherlands/Brazil vs. Loser of Argentina/Germany/Paraguay/Spain - 2pm, ABC

Sunday, July 11th:
FINAL: Winner of Uruguay/Ghana/Netherlands/Brazil vs. Winner of Argentina/Germany/Paraguay/Spain - 2pm, ABC

Go Germany. Although an Argentina/Brazil final would be cool.

Wolve - Sorry about that - it's an Elise not an Exige. It's purple though - wouldn't be my choice in color but it's not that bad - darker purple. But the Exige is what I'm interested in.

they are very similar (they give the same manual to both cars). anyway that's all off topic stuff.

I really hope the Netherlands gets their shit together and beats Brazil. It would be great!

It's going to be a rough start to the weekend for me and my friends, with Holland facing Brazil and then Germany battling it out with Argentina.

I think I'm going to have a heart attack at some point between Friday and Saturday.

I want Germany to lose simply because well......they are Germany and the Dutch's arch rivals. It will be a great game to watch because both Argentina and Germany are very well matched.

The Dutch really need to bring their A game on Friday if they want to stand a chance.

Argentina and Brazil play way too fast and way too well for even the Germans to keep up with them. Its hard for any team to defend against a team that can create chances on a whim.

The only thing going for Holland right now is that Elan is out but thats barely a dent in to a deep Brazillian squad.

Argentina is whipping ass and Messi is not even on the score sheet. Thats dangerous when your star player is not performing but your still dominating your opponents. Its going to be great Futbol nonetheless...and i have a soft spot for Holland. They have my striker Dirk Kuyt.

Im all for Holland and Uruguay tomorrow. Im in the minority that has never rooted for Brazil, i always like favoring the underdog.

[quote name='anubis20']Im all for Holland and Uruguay tomorrow. Im in the minority that has never rooted for Brazil, i always like favoring the underdog.[/QUOTE]

Only playing Brazil could the #4 international side in the world be considered an underdog. :D

I'll be rooting for the Dutch also. Oh, and not for nothing, but if you call it Holland make sure you're talking to someone who's actually from those provinces, since I've learned people in the rest of the Netherlands get pretty touchy about that. ;)

There isn't an easier guy to hate in this World Cup than Maradona. What an arrogant prick. Too bad a great team like Argentina has a douche for a coach. He'll probably take all the credit if Argentina wins the World Cup.

[quote name='bvharris']Only playing Brazil could the #4 international side in the world be considered an underdog. :D

I'll be rooting for the Dutch also. Oh, and not for nothing, but if you call it Holland make sure you're talking to someone who's actually from those provinces, since I've learned people in the rest of the Netherlands get pretty touchy about that. ;)[/QUOTE]

Being from a Holland province and knowing others who aren't, I think it isn't that big of a deal, but whatever. I also have no idea how "Dutch" was derived from the Netherlands (Nederland in Dutch).
Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to the game and I'll be wearing the orange (or white depending on jersey assignments) tomorrow morning and I'll probably be yelling at the tv a little more than usual.

[quote name='madbst']There isn't an easier guy to hate in this World Cup than Maradona. What an arrogant prick. Too bad a great team like Argentina has a douche for a coach. He'll probably take all the credit if Argentina wins the World Cup.[/QUOTE]

Say what you want, he's got a very united Argentina that really enjoy having him as a coach. It seems to be a winning formula. I really don't like his arrogance though, and during the games he's more of the comic relief with his antics than a serious coach, but it is working for Argentina.

bread's done
Back