2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='madbst']They actually have a legitimate reason to give away their farm team for a top starting pitcher at the trading deadline (or even before).[/QUOTE]

Do they actually have any legitimate potential top talent prospects in their farm system to even land a AAA pitcher?

[quote name='Beatofficer']Do they actually have any legitimate potential top talent prospects in their farm system to even land a AAA pitcher?[/QUOTE]

Yes

[quote name='madbst']They actually have a legitimate reason to give away their farm team for a top starting pitcher at the trading deadline (or even before).[/QUOTE]

If they want any chance at all of contending, they have no choice at this point. They are going into this season with basically the same team but older and without Pettitte. Unless CC can find a way to pitch every other day, they have problems.

I'd trade Montero. He's the biggest chip they've got, and the situation dictates they move him. They've got Russell Martin for now and have some decent catching prospects who could turn into something in a few years. If they're not going to try to compete now, you might as well tear the whole team down because having A-Rod, Jeter, Teixeira, Cano, etc. is just a waste if 4 of your 5 starting pitchers can't get out of the 5th inning (though Hughes is on the bubble...probably a make or break year for him). Joba will DEFINITELY get another crack at the rotation now though. I don't care what Girardi says. They'll explore all options.

Montero would definitely be the piece to move, especially if the murmurs are true, and he's not going to be a catcher in the bigs, anyway.

I think you will probably see a more consistent year out of Hughes this season. Last year was his first as a full-time starter, and he clearly broke down. I don't think you'll see the domination you did early in '10, but I do suspect he'll be a 3.75 ERA kind of guy and give them more meaningful innings. After CC and him...wow...

:wall: Manny Ramirez?

The Rays can't afford any players, but they go out and buy the biggest show-off crybaby in the MLB? Whenever he doesn't get what he wants, he plays like shit on purpose.

Hooray, maybe now the Rays will be basement dwellers again, so that talk of them needing a $500 million stadium will subside.

Heh. The Rays need parking before they can get a stadium. :razz:

Seriously, I was staying a week in Melbourne a couple years ago (just south of Cocoa Beach), and traveled across the state with my dad to see the Rays play the Yankees. That was the most bizarre baseball experience I've ever had. From finding a parking space in the ghetto to the stadium itself.

I guess Clay Zavada did not report for training, apparently he is having doubts about continuing his baseball career after his injury and Tommy John surgery. Really is shame, I liked his attitude and his whole success story, and he was actually a pretty good 'pen arm for us.

[quote name='Altanis']:wall: Manny Ramirez?

The Rays can't afford any players, but they go out and buy the biggest show-off crybaby in the MLB? Whenever he doesn't get what he wants, he plays like shit on purpose.

Hooray, maybe now the Rays will be basement dwellers again, so that talk of them needing a $500 million stadium will subside.[/QUOTE]

Yes because the Rays lost all their starting pitching too right :roll:. Bullpen doesn't matter. They had no one memorable in the pen going into 08. The only thing they really lost was Crawford but they can make up for it.

[quote name='JStryke']Heh. The Rays need parking before they can get a stadium. :razz:

Seriously, I was staying a week in Melbourne a couple years ago (just south of Cocoa Beach), and traveled across the state with my dad to see the Rays play the Yankees. That was the most bizarre baseball experience I've ever had. From finding a parking space in the ghetto to the stadium itself.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say the parking is too bad. With the stadium's location, a lot of people that go to the games just ride the local public transit. They also used to push heavily about carpooling (not sure how big they are anymore about it), which I guess would be part of the reason they don't have a billion parking spaces. I've been to a bunch of Rays games since 1998 and I've never had issues parking.

The stadium's different because it used to be used for hockey and Arena Football. It was built for baseball, but didn't get anyone in it for almost a decade. The Trop isn't terrible, but an outdoor open-air stadium isn't the solution to the Rays' "problems" with attendance. The Marlins are proving that open-air + Florida = attendance disaster.

[quote name='slickkill77']Yes because the Rays lost all their starting pitching too right :roll:. Bullpen doesn't matter. They had no one memorable in the pen going into 08. The only thing they really lost was Crawford but they can make up for it.[/QUOTE]
When you get rid of nearly all of your talent, you can have the best pitching in the world and still suck. Pitching is great, but you can't win if you can't score runs. The Rays have gotten rid of a lot of their hitting talent, and at the rate they're going the rest will be gone by the start of next season. I don't see how throwing $2 million at Manny Ramirez is worth it.

This is 2002-2004 all over again. Every time a player started to show promise, the Rays got rid of them. Maybe they'll stop doing that, but I'm not hopeful. If I were David Price or Evan Longoria, I'd be starting to look at what teams might need a player of my position and everything, because they are probably next on the chopping block.

Bullpen doesn't matter

Bullpens are pretty important in the playoffs, usually. If you have a shutdown setup man and a shutdown closer with a great pitching staff then you can score 1 run and feel safe. Atleast, that's how I felt with the Giants this last playoff/world series run.

I wanted to go but I took too long to order tickets and they sold out. I want to check out Salt River Fields, it's supposed to be a beautiful stadium.

Anyone interested in a H2H Yahoo fantasy baseball league with a live draft? I've invited a few of my buddies, but I'll definitely have a few slots left open for serious (read: non-quitting) owners!

When you win a World Series I'll allow this shit to happen. Pre-2010, fuck no.

ei49c3.jpg

Hell yeah! Despite a shitty cold and windy day in the Bronx, it looks like the Yanks - Tigers game will start on time. No idea what the season holds, but I'm glad baseball is back!

So the Giants decided to keep Brandon Belt. Should have keep him in the minor, now he will get to arbitration sooner.

I was watching ESPN before the Yankees vs. Detroit game, and they said how Brandon Belt was crying because he won the job. Huff came up to him and said "What are you crying about kid? I'm the one who has to play right field".

I'm excited, excited enough to watch Baseball all day leading up to my Giants facing the Dodgers tonight. Prediction for tonight: Giants win 4-1, Lincecum 8 Strikeouts, 2 walks, 1 ER. With Belt getting his first HR of his Major League career.

brewers/reds opening day... brewers batting first...
1 - weeks - homerun
2 - gomez - homerun
3 - braun - walk
4 - fielder - single
5 - mcgee - sac fly

score 3-0 with 1 out. yay brewers

on a side note on monday im going to opening day in milwaukee

[quote name='dkreegz515']brewers/reds opening day... brewers batting first...
1 - weeks - homerun
2 - gomez - homerun
3 - braun - walk
4 - fielder - single
5 - mcgee - sac fly

score 3-0 with 1 out. yay brewers

on a side note on monday im going to opening day in milwaukee[/QUOTE]

One hell of an ending, right?

Of course, as a Red's fan, I probably enjoyed it more than you did.

[quote name='62t']So the Giants decided to keep Brandon Belt. Should have keep him in the minor, now he will get to arbitration sooner.[/QUOTE]

Before Ross injury, yes.

Management's hand was forced due to his injury which pushed Huff to RF, and Belt to 1B.

When Ross comes back it'll be him RF, Huff LF, and Belt 1B.

But no need to worry about Belt's arbitration considering the Gigantes have to pay up for Lincycum, Wilson, Sanchez in the next 2 years.

Man it feels great to know that i have 0 expectations this year. I can't get mad because i know the M-E-T-S will suck.

But O man willie harris batting second in the lineup....Watch out Major Leagues. The new best #2 hitter in all of baseball has arrived. Atleast he won't kill us anymore. =)

Great win by the Angels today. Weaver looked outstanding. If he can get run support, he'll make a great case for the Cy Young.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Prediction for tonight: Giants win 4-1, Lincecum 8 Strikeouts, 2 walks, 1 ER. With Belt getting his first HR of his Major League career.[/QUOTE]
Wow, you almost called Kershaw's line, cept he did a little better in every category.

C Kershaw 7.0IP 4H 0R 0ER 1BB 9K 0HR 96-65PC-ST 0.00ERA

Just think of how many times you're going to watch Tejada field a ball this year. Don't worry, his .260 average and huge power upside at 36 (is he 36 or is he lying again?) will more than make up for it.

[quote name='speedracer']Wow, you almost called Kershaw's line, cept he did a little better in every category.

Just think of how many times you're going to watch Tejada field a ball this year. Don't worry, his .260 average and huge power upside at 36 (is he 36 or is he lying again?) will more than make up for it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Tejada was a signing I've been against since the first second I heard about it. Not looking forward to that. Still can't believe how bad the defense was yesterday, not just Tejada, but the entire team.

Tejada should definitely be batting 8th instead of Pablo though. Ugh, maybe he'll do so bad they'll have Burris or something take over at SS, or they'll trade for Reyes (pipe dream). Hopefully tonight will be much better.

has it come to this where hooliganism has seeped in to baseball?

than again i remember story a couple years ago of an angry yankee fan running her car in to a red sox fan outside of the bar because the red sox fan was making fun of her.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I think that shit happend all the time last year in LA.[/QUOTE]

I know in 2003 some thug Dodger fans killed a Giants fan, kid was like 21 or something that was killed.

So, baseball's here. I've never done an MLB.TV account before, but I'm thinking about taking the plunge this year. I guess they have a $120 version with DVR functions and home/away broadcasts and a $100 version without those features.

I've heard tell of multiple logins on different systems, and this leads me to believe it could be even more affordable, if you could find a like-minded person (maybe on a different time zone)... but I've never used it before.

If anyone has experience they want to share, or they're also thinking about it, let me know via PM or here!

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Ahahaha. Oh, Cleveland. EVERYTHING about you sucks.[/QUOTE]

You spoke too soon!

Wild, wacky Opening Day for my White Sox in Cleveland. Went up 14-0 through 3 & 2/3 innings; Indians scored 4 off Buehrle in the 6th; Ohman shit the bed in the 7th, giving up 3 runs in 2/3 of an inning. Sox had replaced half the lineup mid-game and Lastings Milledge's error on what would have been an easy grab for Juan Pierre allowed 2 runs to score. But the Sox held on to win 15-10 in a crazy marathon game. Whew.

[quote name='speedracer']Wow, you almost called Kershaw's line, cept he did a little better in every category.

Just think of how many times you're going to watch Tejada field a ball this year. Don't worry, his .260 average and huge power upside at 36 (is he 36 or is he lying again?) will more than make up for it.[/QUOTE]

It's so great to have this guy back.

Phillies pulled one out of their ass today. Boring as hell game up until that 9th inning. That's what I like about the Phils, they're not done until there's 3 outs in the 9th.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I am glad we got Mike Napoli, he looks like he can add a lot to the Rangers.[/QUOTE]
I was starting to get worried, we were only putting up home runs and not really generating much offense, then the offense came but no one wanted to put one home. Nice to see Murph Dog come in and start that big 8th inning to put them away.

I'm still feeling a little meh about Torrealba though, couldn't keep the damn ball in his glove half the time. Overall though a good game, I liked what I saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MillerTime2523'] Nice to see Murph Dog come in and start that big 8th inning to put them away.
[/QUOTE]

:bomb: He's such a quality player, I still haven't gotten over the Sox trading him for the impending implosion that was Eric Gagne.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']I was starting to get worried, we were only putting up home runs and not really generating much offense, then the offense came but no one wanted to put one home. Nice to see Murph Dog come in and start that big 8th inning to put them away.

I'm still feeling a little meh about Torrealba though, couldn't keep the damn ball in his glove half the time. Overall though a good game, I liked what I saw.[/QUOTE]

Murph dog really is a good player. Everything looked good except for the catcher. Poor young they showed him and he looked sad. haha

[quote name='tcrash247']Phillies pulled one out of their ass today. Boring as hell game up until that 9th inning. That's what I like about the Phils, they're not done until there's 3 outs in the 9th.[/QUOTE]

Dont know what the Astros manager was thinking. Lyon was giving up singles like they were candy and he does nothing at all. I know he's the closer and all but at least get a guy in the bullpen going. Was a fun game though.

Saw the Giants were up 4-1 in the 4th and thought that would be enough so I went to go play MLB 11. Come back and found out they blew it...again. At least it was nice to see Belt his first homer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back