2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='sdclippers']Well he shouldn't have stolen and all this could have been prevented.[/QUOTE]

The Giants shouldn't have been down 6 if you are using that logic. ;)

[quote name='tcrash247']So Rollins stealing a bag warrants hitting a player. Yeah, makes complete sense. It was all Rollins fault, Ramirez wasn't being a little bitch at all.[/QUOTE]

Both players were being bitches.

Ramirez by throwing at Victorino.

Victorino for not being a man and taking his base.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Both players were being bitches.

Ramirez by throwing at Victorino.

Victorino for not being a man and taking his base.[/QUOTE]

Lol? He would be a bitch if he acted like a pussy. You'd say the same thing as I if the roles were reversed.

[quote name='ph33r m3']This is so one-sided I wouldn't be surprised if you're Bill O' Reilly.

No need to bring up Jimmy Rollins stealing 2nd up by 7 right?[/QUOTE]

So, they're supposed to stop playing baseball when being up by 7?

[quote name='jello44']So, they're supposed to stop playing baseball when being up by 7?[/QUOTE]

Right?

Also, they were holding Rollins on, so if they obviously weren't conceding the running game, why should he?

Well it's one of those topics where you have to agree to disagree. Personally I feel like there was bad blood riding from the playoffs.

[quote name='tcrash247']Lol? He would be a bitch if he acted like a pussy. You'd say the same thing as I if the roles were reversed.[/QUOTE]

If the Giants had to hit one Phillies player, 100% of baseball fans would support it being Victorino...it's a fact.

I see the Pirates are back to their normal ways now. Have lost 10 straight and are now 10 games out of first in the NL central.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I see the Pirates are back to their normal ways now. Have lost 10 straight and are now 10 games out of first in the NL central.[/QUOTE]

What's there record since that blown call by that ump?

No excuse, and a large part of that is due to their recent schedule....but shit that ump looks worse day by day.

Speaking of blown calls, if anyone is watching the Red Sox - Twin game, Tim McClelland had what was probably just the worst inning behind the plate I've ever seen. He fucked Erik Bedard in the ass to the point that even the Twins announcers were criticizing him:
zoneplot.php-pitchSel=all&game=gid_2011_08_09_bosmlb_minmlb_1&sp_type=1&s_type=7.gif
By my count that's 6 different blown calls (all against Boston), and at least 6 others which were within 2 inches. My larger point is.. Is it time for robot umpires calling balls and strikes? We have the technology, why are we still trusting this to people who have almost no idea what the strike zone is?

[quote name='bvharris']By my count that's 6 different blown calls (all against Boston), and at least 6 others which were within 2 inches. My larger point is.. Is it time for robot umpires calling balls and strikes? We have the technology, why are we still trusting this to people who have almost no idea what the strike zone is?[/QUOTE]
Every 6 months or so I make the case that umpires do nothing but get in the way. Everyone tells me they add randomness and to shut up.

It's why MLB 11 the show is so awesome. It has umpires that screw up just like you are describing. Take out the human element and then we are arguing about something else. It's human nature, you can't take that away.

[quote name='davidb69']It's why MLB 11 the show is so awesome. It has umpires that screw up just like you are describing.[/QUOTE]

That game has umpires that blow calls? Really? It must be awesome to lose a video game because the game itself cheated you out of a win on purpose.

[quote name='tcrash247']That game has umpires that blow calls? Really? It must be awesome to lose a video game because the game itself cheated you out of a win on purpose.[/QUOTE]

It's not as dramatic as that. They miss strikes occasionally, I've never seen them blow a call on the basepaths, etc.

You can turn off the option of having variable umpires, in which case the strike zone will always be called exactly as the zone. I typically leave it on though, since it is more realistic (even though I dislike umpires).

Thanks Braves, we are 3.5 games ahead of the Giants now. We only "beat" Doc today, he still got 14 strikeouts and a complete game out of it.

It may be a bit early, but it looks like Jason Kipnis may be the real deal as a great second basemen for the Indians. They haven't anybody of note at that position since Robby Alomar and Carlos Baerga during their great years, so the tear Kipnis went on in his first few weeks in the majors is promising. Now they just need a good third basemen to emerge and they'll have a great young infield, which I can't remember them even having a steady option at 3B for several years in the 90s.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It may be a bit early, but it looks like Jason Kipnis may be the real deal as a great second basemen for the Indians. They haven't anybody of note at that position since Robby Alomar and Carlos Baerga during their great years, so the tear Kipnis went on in his first few weeks in the majors is promising. Now they just need a good third basemen to emerge and they'll have a great young infield, which I can't remember them even having a steady option at 3B for several years in the 90s.[/QUOTE]

He's struck out in nearly 30% of his AB. His rate was in the high teens in the minors, so it will likely be somewhere in the twenties in the majors, but he's going to have to cut down from that 30% rate to be successful long term.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']He's struck out in nearly 30% of his AB. His rate was in the high teens in the minors, so it will likely be somewhere in the twenties in the majors, but he's going to have to cut down from that 30% rate to be successful long term.[/QUOTE]
He can work on that stuff since he's only been in the majors for less than a month, but the upside he's showing is really promising so far.

I've never got the obsession people have with strike outs. Example, while he's sucking it up this year, Adam Dunn has had a solid career and he's struck out in around 34% of his ABs over his career to date.

An out is an out. Sure, if you put the ball in play good things can happen. But so can bad things like double plays.

So I don't worry about strike outs so much as long as the batting average, power numbers etc. are good.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've never got the obsession people have with strike outs. Example, while he's sucking it up this year, Adam Dunn has had a solid career and he's struck out in around 34% of his ABs over his career to date.

An out is an out. Sure, if you put the ball in play good things can happen. But so can bad things like double plays.

So I don't worry about strike outs so much as long as the batting average, power numbers etc. are good.[/QUOTE]

Dunn struck out in 27% of his PA before this season; he's struck out in 36% of his PA this season. Also, he averaged 40 HR for a seven year period, and also walked in 16% of PA. Kipnis does not project to have anywhere near 40 HR power, nor did he display 100 BB plate discipline in the minors.

Simply put, if you strike out over 25% of your PA, you'd better hit for a lot of power and take some walks, otherwise you aren't going to be very effective. The average BABIP for major league players tends to be about .300. Batting average for strikeouts: .000. Strikeouts absolutely lower your overall offensive production.

Fair points.

And I was calculating Dunn's numbers as strikeouts per at bat, rather than per plate appearance, which is why it was a higher percentage (since walks aren't included in ABs).

Braves win a pitching duel between Lincecum and Mike Minor 1-0 on a solo homer by Chipper Jones in the 5th inning and take 3 out of 4 from the Giants.

Really love the young pitching talent the Braves have.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Braves win a pitching duel between Lincecum and Mike Minor 1-0 on a solo homer by Chipper Jones in the 5th inning and take 3 out of 4 from the Giants.

Really love the young pitching talent the Braves have.[/QUOTE]

man its going to braves and phillies for a long time in the east. Mets baseball has just been made that much more agonizing to watch. :wall::bomb::fridge:

those kids look great and they will soon start to match up with the Phillies very well. 2 horse race indeed.

[quote name='yukine']What an "Uggla" game... sorry. Fortunately, the Giants have been losing with us at least. Beachy was impressive.[/QUOTE]

We're doing our best to make sure you guys are fresh for the post-season.

Braves finish up their beat down of the NL West by sweeping three from the Diamonbacks after taking 3 out 4 from the Giants.

Have the wildcard pretty well locked down now. 8.5 up on the Giants pending the out come of their current game today (tied at 4 last I checked).

Kimbrel got his 40th save the night before last. Ties the all time rookie record set just last year by Feliz of the Rangers. Also leads baseball in strikeouts by a reliever, and saves this season currently.

Will be interesting to see if he can win rookie of the year as a closer, or if it will go to an offensive player like Freddie Freeman or whoever as usual.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Kimbrel got his 40th save the night before last. Ties the all time rookie record set just last year by Feliz of the Rangers. Also leads baseball in strikeouts by a reliever, and saves this season currently.

Will be interesting to see if he can win rookie of the year as a closer, or if it will go to an offensive player like Freddie Freeman or whoever as usual.[/QUOTE]

Well, the AL has had two closers win ROTY (Feliz and Bailey) the past two seasons, so it's possible. It really just depends on what the voters value most, I suppose.

The last two series and Pronk being out for the rest of the season killed the Indians' chances at the playoffs. They seem to be going after Jim Thome, which is an odd choice. He was the original Lebron, so it'll be interesting to see how he's received in his first game.

[quote name='GhostShark']Well, the AL has had two closers win ROTY (Feliz and Bailey) the past two seasons, so it's possible. It really just depends on what the voters value most, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. I don't pay a lot of attention to the AL.

Just makes sense he should get it since he's not just having a great rookie campaign, but is leading all of baseball currently in saves and strikeouts by a reliever etc.

I think Kimbrel will get it. While Freeman has had a great rookie year, the Braves would be where they are without him, but maybe not without Kimbrel (even though Venters could be a fantastic closer). I'd love to see Vance Worley win, but I don't see that happening at all being on a team stacked with starting pitchers and only playing half the season.

So who's everyone's guesses for MVP and Cy Young winner? Pretty sure it'll go down like this:

Curtis Granderson AL MVP (though Adrian Gonzalez could get it)
Justin Verlander AL CY

Matt Kemp NL MVP
Roy Halladay NL CY (could be Kershaw but being on the Dodgers hurts his chances, but I still think Kemp will get his)

[quote name='tcrash247']I think Kimbrel will get it. While Freeman has had a great rookie year, the Braves would be where they are without him, but maybe not without Kimbrel (even though Venters could be a fantastic closer). I'd love to see Vance Worley win, but I don't see that happening at all being on a team stacked with starting pitchers and only playing half the season.

So who's everyone's guesses for MVP and Cy Young winner? Pretty sure it'll go down like this:

Justin Verlander AL CY

Matt Kemp NL MVP
Roy Halladay NL CY (could be Kershaw but being on the Dodgers hurts his chances, but I still think Kemp will get his)[/QUOTE]

I think the NL MVP will be close, but I think Ryan Braun will win it.

[quote name='tcrash247']

Justin Verlander AL CY
[/QUOTE]

Though Gonzalez is starting to heat up again (2 HR tonight so far, and 5 in 3 games at TEX) he's probably the third most deserving candidate on his own team after Ellsbury and Pedroia. That said, Gonzalez probably stands a better chance than either because he's likely to win the batting title and has a great chance at the RBI crown as well.

Right now my vote would be for Ellsbury, though Granderson is certainly putting together a pretty good case.

I agree that Verlander will win Cy Young in a walk though, and for that matter if none of the top hitters pulls away from the pack, he might get some traction for MVP as well. I'd be hard pressed to think of another player who's been more valuable to his team this season.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Bautista for AL MVP, Granderson/Ellsbury runner up
[/QUOTE]

For better or worse, I think Bautista's chances were probably seriously hindered by Guy-In-White-Shirt-Gate. That, along with the fact that his numbers in the second half have been merely great (and not legendary like his first half numbers) would lead me to be very surprised if he was a factor.

I actually subscribe to the notion that the MVP should come from a good team. Not because I think Bautista isn't valuable to the Jays, obviously they'd be far worse without him, but why else have seemingly redundant awards like the Hank Aaron Award if not to give them to great hitters on bad teams. Bautista won it last year, I suspect he will again, but not the MVP.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Wow. Just saw on Sportscenter that the Yankees his 3 grand slams today. Don't see that every day.[/QUOTE]

First time in MLB history. Pretty cool. I saw the first two but I had to go out before the third one, pretty bummed I missed seeing it live.

wow what a way to end a series lol....The A's almost pulled a sweep until 13 walks and 21 hits and 3 slammies later, it was all over. WoW!

i aactually left work when my boss put the game on in the 6th inning. I should have stayed lol .

Good job Cubs, for beating up on Lincecum.

Good outing by Haren and the offense has finally come back, D-backs up 5 games in the standings.

Michael Brantley's out for the rest of the season, so the quality hitters in the Indians lineup are dropping like flies along with everybody else but Asdrubal Cabrera. This won't be a pretty end to the season.

[quote name='speedracer']Why Halladay over Kershaw? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

Voters really value a player on a team that makes the playoffs over a player on a team that doesn't, especially when the players' stats are so close. King Felix won last year just because he was far and away better than the other pitchers in the AL.

[quote name='tcrash247']Voters really value a player on a team that makes the playoffs over a player on a team that doesn't, especially when the players' stats are so close. King Felix won last year just because he was far and away better than the other pitchers in the AL.[/QUOTE]

They do that more for hitters than they do pitchers. Kershaw doesn't have any chance of winning it because absolutely no one is going to show LA any love. They don't want to encourage Frank. He would have to be the best pitcher by such a wide margin that it would be ridiculous.

Braves got thumped by the Nats tonight. 6-7 against the Nats this year so far, not sure why they struggle so much with them. NL East race would be more interesting if the Braves were dominating this series.

I'm struggling to stay interested in the rest of the regular season since the Braves are pretty far back in the NL east and have a big lead in the Wild Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back