2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Congrats to Mo Rivera. And he didn't limp to #600 like Hoffman, either.[/QUOTE]

Or like Wakefield did to win #200. It's been excruciating to watch, let me tell you. :cry:

[quote name='yukine']Why would I want that? I hate the Lakers and Dodgers with a passion.[/QUOTE]
Of course you do. And yet we hardly notice you. I don't even know where Arizona plays their home games. LA fans feed on LA hate. God I love it when I'm watching a game and the crowd starts chanting "Beat LA". Ain't nobody chanting "Beat Arizona", that's for sure.

You know a team is smoking hot when your team goes 15-4 and loses a half game in the standings. Damn.

Braves better start winning games.

[quote name='speedracer']Just sayin. Rooting for the Giants won't get you any love from LA fans.[/QUOTE]

The Dodgers still have fans? Tell that to Chavez Ravine.

[quote name='ph33r m3']The Dodgers still have fans? Tell that to Chavez Ravine.[/QUOTE]
Just waiting out McIdiot. He and the Giants playoff hopes are hiding in a bunker somewhere.

The Cy Young award hanging in the balance and Kershaw plunks a guy for showboating on his teammate the night before.

The man is my god.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might as well, no way he wins the Cy Young. I'd be pissed if I were you, Kershaw and Kemp having amazing seasons and won't get awarded for it since they are on a losing team.

Kershaw vs. Halladay is a literal coin flip. Homer-ism aside, I think they're about as equal as two guys can be at this point in a season. I wouldn't cry about that.

MVP is always trickier since I think the voters take the record of the team much more into account. Bleacher Report did an MVP story that basically said Kemp was the most valuable player, then the article ends the Kemp discussion by saying "his team sux tho lol sry moving on".

I'm not a fan of the player awards anyway. You always want your guy to get it but the arbitrary nature of the award kinda detracts from the value. The gold glove is a friggin joke and has been for years.

I hate the Dodgers, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kershaw or Kemp be rewarded for their performances, hate that team record is always taken into account for individual awards.

[quote name='yukine']I hate the Dodgers, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kershaw or Kemp be rewarded for their performances, hate that team record is always taken into account for individual awards.[/QUOTE]

All the voters should be given a sheet of paper with just stats and have to vote based on that. Sure, they could still match up the stats to the players, but the numbers should speak volumes and help keep the biased votes down.

natties take out the mets in 4. Team just sloppy at home. Glad Terry is pissed though. IF that was Manual he would have just laughed it off. Still happy he is the coach...but this team just plain out sucks. Worst baseball team in the league by far.

If Lee takes votes away from Halladay, Kershaw might win in a squeaker. Lee may just as well take votes from Kershaw, too, so who knows which way the voters will go. Still sticking with Halladay, a 2.10 FIP is just stupid.

Bumgarner is quietly becoming the best pitcher on the Giants. Had he not struggled in April, he'd be in the Cy mix too.

I hate the fact that I am hoping for a split in the Red Sox/Rays series. With the way the Sox have been playing, it would be a Godsend to actually not lose ground this weekend. And if that's going to be done, it has to be in these next 2 games...unless Wakefield gets to 201 a lot quicker than 200! Sox have the edge, for the next 3 days. Here's hoping Monday comes and the Red Sox are still at the top of the WC!

[quote name='confoosious']Seems to me Felix got the Cy Young on an equally bad team. It's possible but doubtful since Halladay is great AND on a great team.[/QUOTE]

Not sure a comparison could be made there. Felix pitched 250 innings, the only guys who were within 25 IP of him had an ERA around a run higher, and the guys who bested him in FIP - Lee, Verlander, Liriano - just didn't have the volume or ERA to match.

Kershaw, Halladay, and Lee all have thrown the same amount of innings.

With Lee picking up where he left off in August, this could get reeeeeaaaly interesting. He was one strike away today from his 7th (i think, cold have been his 6th) complete game shutout.

And that's a great example of my own selection bias by talking about Halladay and not Lee because they're on the same team.

NO PEEKING

So without further ado, who do you vote for as the NL Cy Young winner?

1. 219.2 IP, 9.14 K/9, 1.72 BB/9, 2.38 ERA, 2.59 FIP, 2.72 xFIP, 6.5 WAR, 6 CG, 6 ShO, 223 K
2. 208.0 IP, 7.88 K/9, 2.25 BB/9, 2.99 ERA, 3.34 FIP, 3.54 xFIP, 4.4 WAR, 1 CG, 1 ShO, 182 K
3. 218.2 IP, 9.71 K/9, 2.10 BB/9, 2.30 ERA, 2.37 FIP, 2.78 xFIP, 6.8 WAR, 5 CG, 2 ShO, 236 K
4. 219.2 IP, 8.64 K/9, 1.23 BB/9, 2.34 ERA, 2.09 FIP, 2.62 xFIP, 8.1 WAR, 8 CG, 1 ShO, 211 K
5. 199.0 IP, 8.01 K/9, 1.85 BB/9, 2.71 ERA, 2.91 FIP, 3.03 xFIP, 5.0 WAR, 3 CG, 0 ShO, 177 K
6. 173.0 IP, 9.10 K/9, 3.12 BB/9, 3.54 ERA, 2.97 FIP, 3.22 xFIP, 4.5 WAR, 1 CG, 0 ShO, 175K

If you'd like another stat posted let me know and I'll add it.

edit: removing w-l to make it more difficult to guess who's who and it's a pretty terrible stat anyway.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Not sure a comparison could be made there. Felix pitched 250 innings, the only guys who were within 25 IP of him had an ERA around a run higher, and the guys who bested him in FIP - Lee, Verlander, Liriano - just didn't have the volume or ERA to match.

Kershaw, Halladay, and Lee all have thrown the same amount of innings.[/QUOTE]

No, I wasn't arguing his stats his cy young year or vs kershaw. I was just indicating that voters have indeed overlooked a team's record in the past.

Speedracer - without peeking I'd say #4. (Although I think I know who #1 is.)

[quote name='speedracer']If you'd like another stat posted let me know and I'll add it.[/QUOTE]

You should add WHIP, since I think a lot of voters look that that.

[quote name='speedracer']And that's a great example of my own selection bias by talking about Halladay and not Lee because they're on the same team.

NO PEEKING

So without further ado, who do you vote for as the NL Cy Young winner?

1. 219.2 IP, 9.14 K/9, 1.72 BB/9, 2.38 ERA, 2.59 FIP, 2.72 xFIP, 6.5 WAR, 6 CG, 6 ShO, 223 K
2. 208.0 IP, 7.88 K/9, 2.25 BB/9, 2.99 ERA, 3.34 FIP, 3.54 xFIP, 4.4 WAR, 1 CG, 1 ShO, 182 K
3. 218.2 IP, 9.71 K/9, 2.10 BB/9, 2.30 ERA, 2.37 FIP, 2.78 xFIP, 6.8 WAR, 5 CG, 2 ShO, 236 K
4. 219.2 IP, 8.64 K/9, 1.23 BB/9, 2.34 ERA, 2.09 FIP, 2.62 xFIP, 8.1 WAR, 8 CG, 1 ShO, 211 K
5. 199.0 IP, 8.01 K/9, 1.85 BB/9, 2.71 ERA, 2.91 FIP, 3.03 xFIP, 5.0 WAR, 3 CG, 0 ShO, 177 K
6. 173.0 IP, 9.10 K/9, 3.12 BB/9, 3.54 ERA, 2.97 FIP, 3.22 xFIP, 4.5 WAR, 1 CG, 0 ShO, 175K

If you'd like another stat posted let me know and I'll add it.

edit: removing w-l to make it more difficult to guess who's who and it's a pretty terrible stat anyway.[/QUOTE]

Is it sad that I know who all of them are by these numbers?

I'm going to refrain from answering, just out of respect for the system. My answer would give away at least one of the pitchers.

Just flipped over to the Braves game. Hell of an outing from Hudson apparently--8 innings, no runs, 2 hits, 10ks.

Guess the Met's pitcher has been nearly as good htough since it's tied at 0 in the bottom of the 8th.

Edit: And Chipper Jones hits one up the middle to put the Braves up 1-0. And Kimbrel strikes out the side in the 9th to seal the win.

Seems like this discussion always pops up around award time, so I'll throw in my two cents. Without a shadow of a doubt, the team a player is on should most definitely play into awards voting, especially for the MVP, and here's why. While it is never EASY to play a professional sport, it is much easier to succeed where there is less pressure. This is simply common sense, and we have seen it play out a zillion times with guys who get traded from a bad team to a good team and fall apart. If you play on a bad team in a small city, sorry, but your numbers simply aren't as impressive as someone with slightly lesser numbers who is playing for a pennant in New York or Boston or Chicago.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just flipped over to the Braves game. Hell of an outing from Hudson apparently--8 innings, no runs, 2 hits, 10ks.

Guess the Met's pitcher has been nearly as good htough since it's tied at 0 in the bottom of the 8th.

Edit: And Chipper Jones hits one up the middle to put the Braves up 1-0. And Kimbrel strikes out the side in the 9th to seal the win.[/QUOTE]

typical Mets to blow the game. Dickey was great and they couldnt tag the knuckle ball until the 8th inning. Its beyond me why they pitched to him than to Uggla.

oh well, they folded already and need to go 12-1 to hit .500. Reyes looks like he will be leaving and I think Wright needs a change of scenery. He finally let it out about how crappy citifield is for hitters. Unless there is some miracle kids that can make the mets good again, we are going to own last place for years to come.

[quote name='integralsmatic']typical Mets to blow the game. Dickey was great and they couldnt tag the knuckle ball until the 8th inning. Its beyond me why they pitched to him than to Uggla.

oh well, they folded already and need to go 12-1 to hit .500. Reyes looks like he will be leaving and I think Wright needs a change of scenery. He finally let it out about how crappy citifield is for hitters. Unless there is some miracle kids that can make the mets good again, we are going to own last place for years to come.[/QUOTE]

This is year one of the Alderson era. Lets give the man some time to rebuild. There will be a couple bad years to come but things will be heading in the right direction soon. There have already been talks to make the Left Field wall smaller, take in the gaps a bit, and straighten out right field. Alderson wants more of an equal park not a pure pitchers or hitters park. If Reyes gets the money and years which he is looking for (carl crawford money) I rather him leave. I can see Wright staying and the Mets building around him. You have to look at the bright side, no more Minaya, hopefully no more atrocious moves. At least we get Santana back next year.

I'm in Chicago for my first time and I'm at the Cubs game right now, unfortunately they put it in a rain delay in the top of the 9th. Really cool old stadium, I'm surprised at how small the concourse is. It's too bad the Cubs are terrible but the fans are pretty hardcore in love with them.

[quote name='tcrash247']I'm in Chicago for my first time and I'm at the Cubs game right now, unfortunately they put it in a rain delay in the top of the 9th. Really cool old stadium, I'm surprised at how small the concourse is. It's too bad the Cubs are terrible but the fans are pretty hardcore in love with them.[/QUOTE]

I hope you didn't eat any of the food there.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...8_1_brixen-ivy-inspections-food-establishment

[quote name='jello44']I hope you didn't eat any of the food there.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...8_1_brixen-ivy-inspections-food-establishment[/QUOTE]

That's actually for rooftop seats that are not part of Wrigley Field. Buildings past the outfield of Wrigley have seats on top of them with concessions that I think are privately owned and operated, our seats were in Wrigley Field. But we didn't eat at Wrigley anyway, we got a real Chicago deep dish pizza at a place near Wrigley (and it was amazing).

[quote name='tcrash247']That's actually for rooftop seats that are not part of Wrigley Field. Buildings past the outfield of Wrigley have seats on top of them with concessions that I think are privately owned and operated, our seats were in Wrigley Field. But we didn't eat at Wrigley anyway, we got a real Chicago deep dish pizza at a place near Wrigley (and it was amazing).[/QUOTE]

Crap, that was the wrong article. I posted it in haste, I should have read it better. :p

Here's the right one:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/09/08/2-investigators-city-toughening-food-inspections-at-stadiums/

[quote name='DomLando']This is year one of the Alderson era. Lets give the man some time to rebuild. There will be a couple bad years to come but things will be heading in the right direction soon. There have already been talks to make the Left Field wall smaller, take in the gaps a bit, and straighten out right field. Alderson wants more of an equal park not a pure pitchers or hitters park. If Reyes gets the money and years which he is looking for (carl crawford money) I rather him leave. I can see Wright staying and the Mets building around him. You have to look at the bright side, no more Minaya, hopefully no more atrocious moves. At least we get Santana back next year.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i hear ya. Its just tough seeing the Mets play like this. I know Team Moneyball will right the ship. We get Davis back next year too and hopefully he will hit his full stride when Alderson's plan is in full effect. Its about dam time they thought about fixing the park. What made the Wilpons think that the Mets were ever built for pitching and triples. We only have/had one guy that can get triples and the current make up of the pitching staff cant utilize the park to their advantage because they just stink so much. I personally like what citifield has to offer but the dimensions are messy. Its like they hired a 4 yr old architect to design it. They better make it an even park...its demoralizing hitting a 400+ shot to LF and it falls on the warning track. Dont know why it took Wilpon this long to see that is a problem for his own club.

getting Johan is a plus but he does have an albatross of a contract and i dont think he will return to form until mid season personally..but of course ill be proven wrong.

Jesus. From one of the worst records in baseball to the best record in baseball to a hair away from blowing the wild card.

Now would be a good time for the Sox to win a game. Right fucking now.

[quote name='speedracer']Jesus. From one of the worst records in baseball to the best record in baseball to a hair away from blowing the wild card.

Now would be a good time for the Sox to win a game. Right fucking now.[/QUOTE]

I've resigned myself to the fact that they're going to miss the playoffs. I'd say it's more likely than not at this point given the way the two teams are playing.

That way if they rally and do make it, I'll be pleasantly surprised, while still pissed that they've completely checked out the last few weeks.

So here's the list again. I put the pitchers in the same order in the spoiler tag.

Lee
Kennedy
Kershaw
Halladay
Hamels
Garza

[quote name='bvharris']I've resigned myself to the fact that they're going to miss the playoffs. I'd say it's more likely than not at this point given the way the two teams are playing.

That way if they rally and do make it, I'll be pleasantly surprised, while still pissed that they've completely checked out the last few weeks.[/QUOTE]

If the Sox can't win 6/10, they don't deserve to make the playoffs! Anything less than 5/7 against the Orioles is unacceptable! And starting tomorrow will be one of the few times I will cheer on the Yankees! Hopefully Thursday is a good day for healing, or it will be an interesting Winter for Theo and even Tito!

With a 2-1 win over the Giants that pulled the Dodgers above .500 for the first time since April 29, Kershaw bested two-time Cy Young winner Tim Lincecum for the fourth time this year while becoming the first Dodgers pitcher to go 5-0 against the Giants in a season since Vic Lombardi in 1946. In the matchups against Lincecum, Kershaw has allowed one earned run in 30 1/3 innings.

And this win snapped the Giants' eight-game win streak and might have snuffed out their diminishing chances at a postseason berth.

"It's a shame," a sarcastic Kershaw cracked, having become a true Giant-killer with a 6-1 career mark and 1.27 ERA.
I don't care what the world thinks. I fucking love this guy and want to have his babies.

It is a shame. A damn shame. Mwahahahahaha.

Damn. The Yankees wipe out a magic number of 3 in one day, winning both games of their double header and watching Boston lose AGAIN to the Orioles. I really didn't expect all three of those things to happen, but that's pretty awesome. Can't believe this team won the division by such a wide margin. Unless Nova and Hughes come up BIG in the playoffs, I'll be shocked if they reach the World Series again. So many underachievers (Burnett, A-Rod, Teixeira, Gardner, etc) and yet they're STILL winning somehow.

But watching Boston choke down the stretch does bring back fond memories. And the best part is, they have to be grateful that the Yanks handled TB, otherwise they'd be on the outside looking in. Can't wait for some meaningless (to NY) games at the Stadium this weekend, watching Boston struggle for their playoff lives. Oh, Red Sox, how you bring joy to my heart. :)

[quote name='craven_fiend']Anything less than 5/7 against the Orioles is unacceptable! And starting tomorrow will be one of the few times I will cheer on the Yankees![/QUOTE]

Bad News: Red Sox lose 3 of 4 to the Orioles
Good News: Rays are losing the the Yankees
Bad News: LA Angels are also 2.5 behind the Red Sox.

Also, could facing the Cardinals in the first round be a bad thing for the Phillies?

I think so, and am worried about them winning if the Cardinals get the Wild Card. 4 wins and 8 losses against the Cardinals when the Phillies played them this year.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Damn. The Yankees wipe out a magic number of 3 in one day, winning both games of their double header and watching Boston lose AGAIN to the Orioles. I really didn't expect all three of those things to happen, but that's pretty awesome. Can't believe this team won the division by such a wide margin. Unless Nova and Hughes come up BIG in the playoffs, I'll be shocked if they reach the World Series again. So many underachievers (Burnett, A-Rod, Teixeira, Gardner, etc) and yet they're STILL winning somehow.

But watching Boston choke down the stretch does bring back fond memories. And the best part is, they have to be grateful that the Yanks handled TB, otherwise they'd be on the outside looking in. Can't wait for some meaningless (to NY) games at the Stadium this weekend, watching Boston struggle for their playoff lives. Oh, Red Sox, how you bring joy to my heart. :)[/QUOTE]

Well said! :applause:

Braves lose and Cards win. Braves only 1.5 games up in the wild card now. Have lost 13 of their last 20. Cards were 10.5 games back in late August. :bomb:

Go Yankees.....at least today and Monday-Wednesday. It's pretty sad that the Red Sox have come down to hoping the Yankees handle the Rays. Just win Boston! That's all you have to fucking do!

[quote name='craven_fiend']Go Yankees.....at least today and Monday-Wednesday. It's pretty sad that the Red Sox have come down to hoping the Yankees handle the Rays. Just win Boston! That's all you have to fucking do![/QUOTE]

:wall:

I'd laugh so hard if Boston lost the wild card. They've been a contender all season, but with a week to go they could lose it all.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Does anyone remember when EVERY analyst on ESPN picked the Red Sox to win the East?[/QUOTE]

A fortune teller has better luck predicting than ESPN "analysts".

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back