2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very happy to see both the Yanks and Phillies out in the first round.

One of my favorite things about baseball is the randomness of it. Spending big can pretty much buy annual playoff berths, but baseball is so affected by slumps, random luck etc. compared to other sports that the best teams don't always win in the post season.

Our of the remaining teams, I don't really care who wins other than not really wanting to see the Cardinals win since they got a title fairly recently.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Halladay throws a ton of innings but not a ton of pitches, he's kind of like Maddux in that regard. Lee's velocity has increased for seven consecutive seasons. They'll both be fine for at least another three years.[/QUOTE]

He still throws a lot of pitches, he threw about 3,467 which was 6th in the league.

The Maddux comparison is actually as close as you'd believe. This was Halladay's 2nd best season by ERA+. Compare that to Greg Maddux's 1997 season (1994 and 1995 were better but shortened by the strike) and Maddux threw only 2,634. They both threw almost the exact same number of innings (Halladay 233.2, Maddux 232.2).

[quote name='icedrake523']He still throws a lot of pitches, he threw about 3,467 which was 6th in the league.

The Maddux comparison is actually as close as you'd believe. This was Halladay's 2nd best season by ERA+. Compare that to Greg Maddux's 1997 season (1994 and 1995 were better but shortened by the strike) and Maddux threw only 2,634. They both threw almost the exact same number of innings (Halladay 233.2, Maddux 232.2).[/QUOTE]

Halladay has been top ten in fewest pitches per inning in every full season starting in 2002 (frequently finishing in the top 3, behind Maddux in a few seasons), and doesn't allow many baserunners, which minimizes his time pitching from the stretch. It was a bit unfair for me to compare him to Maddux, perhaps the most efficient machine ever witnessed from the mound at his peak, but the point that Halladay isn't stressing his arm as much as one might believe is valid.

If you're going to count pitches though, you're going to have to count his warm-ups and side sessions between starts. No matter how efficient he is, he is still going to decline as every other pitcher has.

[quote name='speedracer']For you.

Statistically, winning regular season games isn't enough to give you the greatest probability to win it all. It certainly helps but it's not everything. Ask Yank fans.. oh wait.. ;D

I disagree and that point is important to me because that difference is what makes baseball special. We talk about 162 games and the tens of thousands of this pitch or that take or this hit or that leadoff from first, but really at the end of it all, it comes down to a ridiculously small sample size. There were exactly 5 at bats that the Yankees must come through on. If you told me a random Yankee batter would 4 times hit with the bases loaded and game 5 in the balance, how would you bet?

I would have bet in favor of the Yanks and I would have been wrong. And that's what makes baseball so fucking rad.

If the game was on paper, it wouldn't be interesting would it?

I sometimes try to imagine being that person. Hell, I get sweaty palms pitching in the 9th in MLB 11. That moment makes and breaks people. And that's friggin AWESOME. You just can't buy that or prep for it. Halladay's 1 ER wasn't good enough. lolwut?

/ive been drinking, why do you ask?[/QUOTE]

I completely understand where you're coming from. But I feel like all of those points speak to being a fan of the sport moreso than a fan of any one team. I 100% understand how the Yankees lost game 5. I sat there and watched $20 million players be baffled by 80mph changeups. It's just maddening to see "the best team in the league" not be able to drive in a runner from 3rd with less than two outs. What was the purpose of the 162 game season if not to work on doing just that?

Take Nick Swisher's AB for example. Benoit didn't throw him a ball in the strike zone that entire at bat, and Swisher struck out anyway. That's not Detroit beating NY. That's NY beating themselves. I'm not saying the Yankees were the better team, but they didn't do themselves any favors, and it makes the win feel hollow. I feel that way about all sports though. I never like to see one team tank and the other basically win by default.

If a team can beat the Yankees (or the Phillies for that matter) at their best, then God bless them, and hats off. But seeing a team/person not live up to their potential just spoils the fun to me. So, yeah...I kinda blame the Yankees and Phillies for not having a performance that is worthy of playoff baseball. The Red Sox or Braves probably could have done better. All of this is just to express my reasoning for losing interest in the MLB regular season (versus a few years ago where I'd watch almost every game from March to November)...because as you said, it largely doesn't matter.

[quote name='icedrake523']If you're going to count pitches though, you're going to have to count his warm-ups and side sessions between starts. No matter how efficient he is, he is still going to decline as every other pitcher has.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but he'll probably be fine in 2012 and 2013, the only two years he's under guaranteed contract.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I completely understand where you're coming from. But I feel like all of those points speak to being a fan of the sport moreso than a fan of any one team. I 100% understand how the Yankees lost game 5. I sat there and watched $20 million players be baffled by 80mph changeups. It's just maddening to see "the best team in the league" not be able to drive in a runner from 3rd with less than two outs. What was the purpose of the 162 game season if not to work on doing just that?

Take Nick Swisher's AB for example. Benoit didn't throw him a ball in the strike zone that entire at bat, and Swisher struck out anyway. That's not Detroit beating NY. That's NY beating themselves. I'm not saying the Yankees were the better team, but they didn't do themselves any favors, and it makes the win feel hollow. I feel that way about all sports though. I never like to see one team tank and the other basically win by default.

If a team can beat the Yankees (or the Phillies for that matter) at their best, then God bless them, and hats off. But seeing a team/person not live up to their potential just spoils the fun to me. So, yeah...I kinda blame the Yankees and Phillies for not having a performance that is worthy of playoff baseball. The Red Sox or Braves probably could have done better. All of this is just to express my reasoning for losing interest in the MLB regular season (versus a few years ago where I'd watch almost every game from March to November)...because as you said, it largely doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything that was said in this post by changing the word Yankees to Phillies. These two teams have serious problems that need to be addressed badly. I don't think I can sit through a postseason next year watching the Phillies play like shit for a third year in a row when it really matters.

The strike zone tonight has been terribly called. I can understand why Verlander is irritated, and am glad CJ has been able to get two double play balls to save runs.

So wait, was the Rangers game 1 called on account of rain? I forgot to check back after they said it could be several hours, but I think it was an official game at that point.

[quote name='Jodou']So wait, was the Rangers game 1 called on account of rain? I forgot to check back after they said it could be several hours, but I think it was an official game at that point.[/QUOTE]Game 1 was delayed for 2 hours though eventually was finished.

Game 2 was called last night and is being played this afternoon.

[quote name='shrike4242']Game 1 was delayed for 2 hours though eventually was finished.

Game 2 was called last night and is being played this afternoon.[/QUOTE]
OK, so the final 4 frames where just goose eggs. Though they'd never admit it, two hours probably turned everyone cold and no way would the starters return for that.

Wow, Rangers had bases loaded and no one out in the bottom of the 9th and didn't score--pop up then double play.

Heading to extras now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pitfallharry219']Why isn't Tim McCarver working the ALCS for FOX?

I really like Terry Francona as a commentator.[/QUOTE]

Heart issue.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Heart issue.[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks. I can't celebrate his departure, then, but I guess I can appreciate hearing someone else in the booth without looking like a bag of dicks.

Man that was unreal. Nellie is getting hot and turning back into the beast he usually is.

Feldman also did an amazing job. He better be back with the team next year.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Feldman also did an amazing job. He better be back with the team next year.[/QUOTE]

He will be. He's signed through 2012 and will compete for a spot in the rotation next year.

If needed, let Holland go in game six, but keep him on a short leash with Feldman ready to take over.

[quote name='Arikado']BOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

He will be. He's signed through 2012 and will compete for a spot in the rotation next year.

If needed, let Holland go in game six, but keep him on a short leash with Feldman ready to take over.[/QUOTE]

For some reason I had it in my mind that he was a free agent at the end of the year.

[quote name='Krunks']Brewers killed em today, can't wait to be rockin at miller park tomorrow[/QUOTE]I don't think there was as much rocking as previously expected in Game 2.

as i was there, i can attest to there definitly not being much rocking going on; why they didnt just hit pujols i will never understand; i HATE that guy, such a p.o.s.

[quote name='Krunks']as i was there, i can attest to there definitly not being much rocking going on; why they didnt just hit pujols i will never understand; i HATE that guy, such a p.o.s.[/QUOTE]Oh, I'd love to hear the logic of hitting a batter, and why he's such a P.O.S.

That should be interesting, methinks. Sounds like nothing more than sour grapes.

Terry Francona was distracted by marital issues and his use of pain medication last season, a team source told the Boston Globe, an allegation the former Red Sox manager denied.
Way to be classless shitbags, Sox front office.

clearly I have sour grapes, i have to deal w/pujols almost 20 times a year. im just saying hit him cuz he cant hit hrs and drive in runs if hes gotta walk to 1st. i say hes a pos because he bitches about every pitch he doesnt get called his way; said the brewers were trying to show them up years ago when they would untuck their jerseys after a victory, when if he had paid any attention he'd know it was done by mike cameron to honor his father and the team just caught on. Also, he tried to start something w/morgan; everyone says it was morgan, but morgan was walking away till pujols came running towards him. Besides, if you hit them on the side, you're just pitching inside, not trying to hit him, per larussa having braun beaned after pujols got beaned

Lmao Detroit, how in the world this team got into the playoffs let alone the alcs is beyond me, they either give away runs or choke in whatever order. Even though i made fun of the yankees i can understand the frustration the fans must have felt. I take back what i said about Detroit being able to go deep

[quote name='renique46']Lmao Detroit, how in the world this team got into the playoffs let alone the alcs is beyond me, they either give away runs or choke in whatever order. Even though i made fun of the yankees i can understand the frustration the fans must have felt. I take back what i said about Detroit being able to go deep[/QUOTE]
I said it from the beginning that they're there by default. Their division decided to take a year off TBH.

What an amazing throw to force extra innings though. When tubby tagged up I knew he'd be out by a mile with a perfect throw, which they got. fucking amazing game and now Rangers have 3 to win 1. VERY EXCITE!

nice to see this umps strike zone is ridiculious when loshe is pitching, garaunteed he gives wolf an awfully small zone.

Wow, Rangers actually had a shot to dominate Verlander for the second time but a few blown opportunities and that explosive offense at the end sealed it. At least they'll come home to win it so they can bask in the glory there.

[quote name='Jodou']Wow, Rangers actually had a shot to dominate Verlander for the second time but a few blown opportunities and that explosive offense at the end sealed it. At least they'll come home to win it so they can bask in the glory there.[/QUOTE]

Ian hitting into the double play and then the ball hitting the bag was terrible. CJ and koji need to stop rolling onto the mound with a gas can. If I see koji again I am going to lose it.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Ian hitting into the double play and then the ball hitting the bag was terrible. CJ and koji need to stop rolling onto the mound with a gas can. If I see koji again I am going to lose it.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah man, that funny hop off the bag just set everything up for failure. There was really nothing you can do about that but that's why I love baseball.

[quote name='Krunks']nice to see this umps strike zone is ridiculious when loshe is pitching, garaunteed he gives wolf an awfully small zone.[/QUOTE]His strike zone calling on both sides was pretty ridiculous.

I really don't understand why Derek Holland fucking thinks that his fastball is the only pitch he has and that it is unhittable. He is the most frustrating pitcher I have seen in a long time.

Well at this point it's pretty obvious Detroit is waving the white flag. Hate to see it end on such a landslide, but Rangers are going to the WS! :D

yo Yankee fans i really apologize now i can see why your loss hurt so much losing to such a sorry team.

Rangers better win if not they're a complete joke much like the cowboys

I don't know how you can say a team with that offense is a sorry team. I asked my friend who is a life long Rangers fan, how she'd feel if the Rangers lost the World Series twice in a row, she told me not to break her heart. :(

I really did want the Tigers to win though, but it's like that pitching staff is almost nothing after Verlander, which kind of sucks. Rangers were incredibly smart building up their bullpen to what it is, their starters, as proven, only need to go 4-5 innings and the rest can be taken care of, it's insane.

Un. Be. Lievable.

2ic5nbt.jpg

Greatest game I've ever been to. Amazing. Just amazing.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I really don't understand why Derek Holland fucking thinks that his fastball is the only pitch he has and that it is unhittable. He is the most frustrating pitcher I have seen in a long time.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, Brandon Morrow is absolutely filthy, but he manages to lose control and get knocked around in at least one inning a game.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']I don't know, Brandon Morrow is absolutely filthy, but he manages to lose control and get knocked around in at least one inning a game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I didn't even think about him but you are right about him being frustrating. What drives me nuts is the second half of the season Holland looked to be over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back