2012 Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" Thread

A great example of why sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Matthews was going to be inactive, so I had to start Michael Bush. He only gets 42 yards backing up Forte, but falls into the endzone twice on 1-yard TDs.

Anyone in a Yahoo! league? They added "Recaps" this year and they are awesome. They are stat and match-up summaries and they are really specific to what happened for that week. Good stuff.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']A great example of why sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Matthews was going to be inactive, so I had to start Michael Bush. He only gets 42 yards backing up Forte, but falls into the endzone twice on 1-yard TDs.[/QUOTE]

That's going to happen all year, major vulture in Chicago.

[quote name='DestroVega']That's going to happen all year, major vulture in Chicago.[/QUOTE]

It's so annoying and it makes no sense. Forte can get those TDs just as easily.

Nate Kaeding totally fucked me in a league. Had a pretty decent lead on a guy heading into last night, he only had his kicker to play. I thought, no possible way Kaeding gets 5 FG to tie, and even so, I would win the tiebreaker. Well, he proved me wrong. 5 FG, 1 PAT. I lose, 134-133.

[quote name='Javery']It's so annoying and it makes no sense. Forte can get those TDs just as easily.[/QUOTE]

No he can't. He's great and I'm a huge Bears fan, but 3rd and short is his weakest play. They signed Bush to get the short yardage, and unfortunately 1st and goal on the 1yd line is Bush time, every time.

[quote name='ScottBigGame']No he can't. He's great and I'm a huge Bears fan, but 3rd and short is his weakest play. They signed Bush to get the short yardage, and unfortunately 1st and goal on the 1yd line is Bush time, every time.[/QUOTE]

I don't know... you may be right but I tend to think that any RB in the league worth anything should be able to get 1 lousy yard when called upon to do so. Of course the OL has a lot to do with this as well. I watched Jacobs get subbed in for Bradshaw last year in those situations and it made me nuts (because I think Jacobs was done 2 years ago) - maybe up the middle isn't the best call for Forte on the 1 yard line but use some misdirection pre-snap and get him to the outside or something - I want my fantasy points dammit!

Alright need opinions on who to start in my WR/TE flex this week...

Fred Davis (@STL)
Greg Olsen (NO)
Kenny Britt (@SD)

Scoring:
1 pt per 10 yards.
PPR
6 pt TD
15 bonus points 100 yards+ receiving.

Today someone in my yahoo league offered to trade me Donald Brown and Alshon Jeffrey for Doug Martin and Kenny Britt. Sounds like it's a bad deal. I was the one who drafted Britt before the suspension was handed out and took the risk/reward. Is there any reason I should accept this trade?

Patriots D or Raiders D?

Patriots are going against Cardinals and Raiders are going against Dolphins. I didn't get to watch the Patriots this weekend but it seems they're more likely to give me picks and maybe even touchdowns. Did the Patriots run D improve or did Chris Johnson just played a dud? Raiders, on the other hand, from what I saw last night seem to have a strong D but not much potential for picks. I could see them pitching a shutout against the Dolphins.

[quote name='Habbler']Today someone in my yahoo league offered to trade me Donald Brown and Alshon Jeffrey for Doug Martin and Kenny Britt. Sounds like it's a bad deal. I was the one who drafted Britt before the suspension was handed out and took the risk/reward. Is there any reason I should accept this trade?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do it. Martin is a starting back who is going to get the bulk of the carries. He was solid this weekend. Kenny Britt is the Titans best WR. He should be targeted the most by Locker.

Donald Brown, I would only take off of waiver if I couldn't get anyone else. Jeffrey looks nice but I think Britt has a good chance to do better or at least match his FF points.

Few questions I have regarding a few leagues I'm in:

Stafford vs 49ers
Schaub vs Jacksonville

Kevin Smith vs 49ers
Jamal Charles vs Buf
CJ Spiller vs KC

Chicago Def vs GB
Cincinnati Def vs Cleveland

Philadelphia Def vs Baltimore
Cincinnati def vs Cleveland

[quote name='winterice']I wouldn't do it. Martin is a starting back who is going to get the bulk of the carries. He was solid this weekend. Kenny Britt is the Titans best WR. He should be targeted the most by Locker.

Donald Brown, I would only take off of waiver if I couldn't get anyone else. Jeffrey looks nice but I think Britt has a good chance to do better or at least match his FF points.[/QUOTE]
Exactly what I was thinking. Methinks he's trying to hustle me.

5-0 week 1 high score in all leagues but one, the one that pays $ for weekly high score lol... Damn!

Sucks I lost fats Freddie in big $ league, plus it's first come first serve and someone vultures Spiller. Damn set position limits in that league I was RB heavy already. Did cut Benson for Kevin Smith though. 1 week and I unsold on Cedric haha.

I survived week #1 despite Vick's four picks and getting absolutely nothing from Welker and Fitz. Demaryous Thomas saved my ass with that 80 yard TD catch. I was leading by 60 pts going into MNF but my opponent had (4) players going, McFadden, Rivers, Floyd, Janikowski. I thought I was screwed when Run DMC kept getting the ball every single play and Rivers hit Floyd for a TD but I ended up winning by 12.

Can anyone tell me how long does accepting/declining trade take on nfl.com? I made a trade proposal yesterday but I'm not sure how long he can keep me hanging. The league setting are manager veto, 2 day reject time with deadline on Nov. 23. Does this mean he has two days to reject or accept before the trade gets automatically cancel? I feel like my hands are tie with this trade hanging around.

[quote name='Javery']Anyone in a Yahoo! league? They added "Recaps" this year and they are awesome. They are stat and match-up summaries and they are really specific to what happened for that week. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I really like the recaps on Yahoo. I also won a badge this week being behind all week and then winning on Monday night. I'm a sucker for Achievements.

[quote name='DestroVega']That's going to happen all year, major vulture in Chicago.[/QUOTE]

It was the same thing when McGahee was still in Baltimore. Ray Rice drives it 80 yards and McGahee get's the TDs.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Few questions I have regarding a few leagues I'm in:

Stafford vs 49ers
Schaub vs Jacksonville

Kevin Smith vs 49ers
Jamal Charles vs Buf
CJ Spiller vs KC

Chicago Def vs GB
Cincinnati Def vs Cleveland

Philadelphia Def vs Baltimore
Cincinnati def vs Cleveland[/QUOTE]

Stafford
Charles or Spiller, kind of a toss up. Smith will only see time if the Lions go up big, and they likely won't.
Cincinnati. Are you really asking if you should start Chicago vs. GB?
Again I'd have to say Cincinnati. Ravens look like they are in the zone.

[quote name='DestroVega']You would start Stafford against the 49ers over Schaub vs Jacksonville? lol

Start any defense against Cleveland.[/QUOTE]

Schaub could toss a TD and Foster could score a bunch. You don't pass when you're ahead....

SF could keep it a close game (or even blaze ahead a la vs. GB) which would keep Stafford throwing. You really don't think the Lions would put the fate of the game in Kevin Smith's hands, do you?

It really boils down to rule #1 of fantasy sports: Never bench your studs.

Someone offered me Michael Vick, Roddy White, and Brandon Lloyd for Peyton Manning.

My other QB is Eli, and my starting WRs right now are Julio Jones, Greg Jennings, and Demaryius Thomas.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Only 8, so the teams are kinda stacked as it is.[/QUOTE]

In that case yeah, nevermind. Roddy White wouldn't be bad to have though.

Need some advice again for this week. It is a PPR league.

Pick 2/3 (2 RB slots + 1 Flex): Ryan Matthews vs. Titans, Trent Richardson vs. Bengals, Doug Martin vs. Giants, Kevin Smith vs. 49ers.

Pick 2/3(2 WR slots + 1 Flex if only 2 RB's were chosen): Larry Fitz vs. Patriots, Antonio Brown vs. Jets, Austin Collie (cleared to play) vs. Vikings, Stephen Hill vs. Steelers.

As always, I appreciate your help.

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']Need some advice again for this week. It is a PPR league.

Pick 2/3 (2 RB slots + 1 Flex): Ryan Matthews vs. Titans, Trent Richardson vs. Bengals, Doug Martin vs. Giants, Kevin Smith vs. 49ers.

Pick 2/3(2 WR slots + 1 Flex if only 2 RB's were chosen): Larry Fitz vs. Patriots, Antonio Brown vs. Jets, Austin Collie (cleared to play) vs. Vikings, Stephen Hill vs. Steelers.

As always, I appreciate your help.[/QUOTE]

I'd probably go with Mathews, Martin, Fitzgerald, Brown, and Hill.

So do I start Ridley (vs. ARI) over Bradshaw (vs. TB)? What about Alex Smith (vs. DET) over Josh Freeman (@NYG)?

I'm thinking of going with Bradshaw and Smith even though Ridley looked way better than Bradshaw did last week.

[quote name='Javery']So do I start Ridley (vs. ARI) over Bradshaw (vs. TB)? What about Alex Smith (vs. DET) over Josh Freeman (@NYG)?

I'm thinking of going with Bradshaw and Smith even though Ridley looked way better than Bradshaw did last week.[/QUOTE]

I would start Ridley and Smith.

[quote name='winterice']Can anyone tell me how long does accepting/declining trade take on nfl.com? I made a trade proposal yesterday but I'm not sure how long he can keep me hanging. The league setting are manager veto, 2 day reject time with deadline on Nov. 23. Does this mean he has two days to reject or accept before the trade gets automatically cancel? I feel like my hands are tie with this trade hanging around.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, the 2 day window refers to the time the other teams in the league have to approve or reject a trade once it is accepted. I don't think there's a time limit for the other person to respond. I would just cancel the offer and move on after two days.

[quote name='Pyloric']Vick vs. BAL or Fitzpatrick vs. KC?

and for defenses, BAL @ PHI or CLE @ CIN?[/QUOTE]

I going Vick myself. He was bad last weekend but still give me 17 points. If he cuts out the INTs, he would have gotten me 25/26 points. I'm expecting less INT this coming weekend. Plus, they throw a lot even though McCoy is their RB.

I'm having the same debate on defense too. The only D you should be looking at is the Bengals. The Browns was just a mess on offense last week. Their QB couldn't throw. WR couldn't catch. Trent Richardson looked nothing like a top pick RB. The only thing holding me back is that the Bengals D got torched. They don't seem to handle fakes well. Their secondary looks average too. Not much of a pass rush or run D as well. Although this all might be more of facing the Raven offense, then bad D itself. Still, in general, I don't think Bengals have a very good defense. It's between the Patriots D and Bengals D for me.

Stafford is hard to sit in any league but i'm leaning now at benching him in favor of Ryan monday night. I'm honestly regretting drafting him with 12th pick in 12 man league. My roster played out nice and I have Ryan as backup, starter in 3 of my other teams. Love the guy in that system and started having buyers remorse the day after the draft more when he cost me high score $ week 1 lol.

answers this page:
CUT Cleveland D

Vick starts

Ridley over Bradshaw until Pats forgets they can run. He's a beast and they gonna be playing with a lead most weeks.

I'd start Smith over Freeman every single week including the 49ers bye week.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pitfallharry219']I'd probably go with Mathews, Martin, Fitzgerald, Brown, and Hill.[/QUOTE]

Will do. Thank you kind sir.

Keep in mind that Mathews is still a big question mark. He didn't practice today, and he has yet to take a hit since he got hurt. I don't know what I am going to do with him this week..

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Keep in mind that Mathews is still a big question mark. He didn't practice today, and he has yet to take a hit since he got hurt. I don't know what I am going to do with him this week..[/QUOTE]

Same was said about AP week one.... Not making that mistake again. I will play AP and Matthews week 2.

[quote name='$hady']Stafford is hard to sit in any league but i'm leaning now at benching him in favor of Ryan monday night. I'm honestly regretting drafting him with 12th pick in 12 man league. My roster played out nice and I have Ryan as backup, starter in 3 of my other teams. Love the guy in that system and started having buyers remorse the day after the draft more when he cost me high score $ week 1 lol.[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better, I'm tempted to start RGIII over Stafford in my one league. Only thing holding me back is the fact Rodgers had a good day against San Fran's defense.

[quote name='Steggy']Same was said about AP week one.... Not making that mistake again. I will play AP and Matthews week 2.[/QUOTE]
yeah I think he'll be good to go this week.

EDIT: whelp, it looks like Matthews is listed as day to day and might not be cleared for contact.

I need to start 3 of the following 5:

Adrian Peterson
Stephan Ridley
BJGE
Doug Martin
C.J. Spiller

I'm thinking Adrian Peterson (based on his performance last week, a no-brainer), Stephan Ridley (assuming he will get plenty of runs once the Pats build up a lead on the Cards), and maybe Spiller (hard to ignore his performance from last week but don't expect him to repeat it to that extent).

I also am debating between T. Smith and S.Johnson for my 2nd WR slot.

Thoughts?

Cap'n_RDM;9964213 said:
I need to start 3 of the following 5:

Adrian Peterson
Stephan Ridley
BJGE
Doug Martin
C.J. Spiller

I'm thinking Adrian Peterson (based on his performance last week, a no-brainer), Stephan Ridley (assuming he will get plenty of runs once the Pats build up a lead on the Cards), and maybe Spiller (hard to ignore his performance from last week but don't expect him to repeat it to that extent).

I also am debating between T. Smith and S.Johnson for my 2nd WR slot.

Thoughts?

I'd have to agree with your thought process. Also, T. Smith as the WR. Ravens seems super impressive on offense so far. Plus, their QB hasnt thrown to the other team yet.

bread's done
Back