2013 MLB Discussion

Because the Angels are a terrible organization, they traded Peter Bourjos and their #2 prospect for David Freese and Fernado Salas. Not only do they make their farm system that much more terrible, they actually add onto their bloated payroll because of it.

It should also be noted that Peter Bourjos has a higher career Isolated Slugging than David Freese. Time for the Rangers to swoop in and get Bourjos, a la Mike Napoli.
They get a SS and they are the team to beat in the NL again.

Yankees signed Brian McCann to a relatively cheap deal. I am very shocked that JD didn't push the price on McCann because they have the money. He must have seen something in McCann that made him balk at signing him, and that I highly disagree with it. It's a position of need for the Rangers and Geovanny Soto is not the answer.

Yankees signed Brian McCann to a relatively cheap deal. I am very shocked that JD didn't push the price on McCann because they have the money. He must have seen something in McCann that made him balk at signing him, and that I highly disagree with it. It's a position of need for the Rangers and Geovanny Soto is not the answer.
He's turning 30 before the season starts, he's a catcher, and he's never been in very good shape. Probably better just to sign a LH catcher to a short deal and platoon him with Soto. Saltalamacchia would be perfect if he didn't want a long deal. The Angels seem to hate Conger, too. Probably wouldn't take much to get him. Kottaras could work if those options fall through.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Freese trade to the Angles kinda confuses me... Is there a reason why the Angles wanted him? I know why he was a fan favorite in St Louis (St Louis Native, had a hell of a World Series for the team in 2011), but trading for a 30 year old third baseman whose numbers have started to slip and didn't perform at all the past two post-seasons doesn't seem like a wise move to me.

The Freese trade to the Angles kinda confuses me... Is there a reason why the Angles wanted him? I know why he was a fan favorite in St Louis (St Louis Native, had a hell of a World Series for the team in 2011), but trading for a 30 year old third baseman whose numbers have started to slip and didn't perform at all the past two post-seasons doesn't seem like a wise move to me.
I don't think they have a third basemen right now, so they needed something and decent 3b are hard to come by.

The Angels still have Mark Trumbo, who can play third. Assuming they want to play Pujols at DH mostly, they surely could have found a decent first baseman for less than they gave up for Freese.

The Angels still have Mark Trumbo, who can play third. Assuming they want to play Pujols at DH mostly, they surely could have found a decent first baseman for less than they gave up for Freese.
Saying a guy who has played nine games at third base over a nine-year career can play third is kind of a stretch.

:lol: I never said he was good at it. Just look at his fielding percentage. My point is, there were other ways to upgrade the team rather than doing the Freese deal.

Plus 1B is no longer an option when he can't catch in a couple of years.
That's assuming Prince is still playing 1B in a couple of years in his decline phase. And plus, he has never been good defensively. He seems more suited for DH duties in a couple years rather than McCann. Anyways, I guess you can expect the catcher to be the black hole of the Rangers line up this year. A Soto/Chironos duo is pretty bad.

JD has to be banking on Soto being the same guy he was last year and not the trainwreck of a hitter he was the three years before that. If he is the same as he was last year, that is damn near the same level of performance for a hell of a lot less.

I dunno, Small sample size and all that. But that would be nice. I expect JD is going to look for a lefty catcher to platoon with Soto. I just can't imagine Soto is the go-to guy.

He's turning 30 before the season starts, he's a catcher, and he's never been in very good shape. Probably better just to sign a LH catcher to a short deal and platoon him with Soto. Saltalamacchia would be perfect if he didn't want a long deal. The Angels seem to hate Conger, too. Probably wouldn't take much to get him. Kottaras could work if those options fall through.
All that considered, I'm very happy the Yankees signed him. He's a huge improvement over what they have had at catcher the past several years, and it's not a contract that cripples the team long-term. Honestly, it's not a great contract for McCann, since it will expire as he's about to turn 35 and no one will want to go near him at that age. Maybe that's why he's getting $17M a season...but who knows what other teams were offering.

As a player, I think I'd be much more inclined to take less dollars annually and get more years out of a deal. That's the problem with Cano right now. He's older than McCann...and is trying to gouge both money and years.

All that considered, I'm very happy the Yankees signed him. He's a huge improvement over what they have had at catcher the past several years, and it's not a contract that cripples the team long-term. Honestly, it's not a great contract for McCann, since it will expire as he's about to turn 35 and no one will want to go near him at that age. Maybe that's why he's getting $17M a season...but who knows what other teams were offering.

As a player, I think I'd be much more inclined to take less dollars annually and get more years out of a deal. That's the problem with Cano right now. He's older than McCann...and is trying to gouge both money and years.
I actually think it's a great contract for McCann. A catcher who's been playing fewer and fewer games each year and who gets hurt very often getting a five-year deal with that much money plus a vesting option, he should be ecstatic. Honestly, I'd be surprised if he doesn't retire when his contract is up.

That's true enough. Plus RF in Yankee Stadium will help boost his power numbers, and being in the AL will allow him to DH or play 1B more frequently than he'd have been able to in Atlanta.

I actually think it's a great contract for McCann. A catcher who's been playing fewer and fewer games each year and who gets hurt very often getting a five-year deal with that much money plus a vesting option, he should be ecstatic. Honestly, I'd be surprised if he doesn't retire when his contract is up.
That's a good point. And if he is thinking that way, then good for him. I'm just not used to players being realistic about how many more good years they have left in them, lol.

"I want a contract until I'm 42."

"What? No one at 42 is worth $20M?"

"Hey, fuck you! I'm awesome!"

"Oh God, my leg!"

"I still get paid? Sweet!"

Yankees sign Ellsbury...7 years...meaning he will be 38 when that deal is up...yeah...wonderful...
That's an awful lot of money to be paying for only a good player. Could have brought Grandy back for a lot less money and fewer years. As a lifelong Yankee fan I'm at a loss for words. Not sure what they were thinking. :headache:

Yeah, makes zero sense to sign an injury-prone outfielder with speed as his greatest asset to a 7 year deal that will carry him into his late 30s. Absolute best case scenario, by the end of the deal, he's just an average outfielder playing out the string. Worst case, he doesn't even make it to the end of the contract.

To make things better, the Yankees go from Robbie Cano to...Kelly Johnson! Yankee fans must be thrilled.

EDIT: All a part of Brian Cashman's checklist.

To make things better, the Yankees go from Robbie Cano to...Kelly Johnson! Yankee fans must be thrilled.

EDIT: All a part of Brian Cashman's checklist.
Kelly Johnson makes sense. He is insurance in case Cano leaves and can also play 3B in case Arod gets suspended. Plus, by signing Johnson you are forcing Cano's hand a bit. My guess is the Yankees sign him for 7 years $180M.

At this point, I think the Mariners break the bank and pay at least 200M to Cano. 

I'm also curious what this means for Shin Soo Choo. I know the Rangers traded away Craig Gentry, which may have opened up the door to signing Choo, though I'd like to see Micheal Choice get the starting job in left field. Was a really good trade for the Rangers.

At this rate, the winter meetings are going to be really boring if everyone is off the table. 

Yeah, makes zero sense to sign an injury-prone outfielder with speed as his greatest asset to a 7 year deal that will carry him into his late 30s. Absolute best case scenario, by the end of the deal, he's just an average outfielder playing out the string. Worst case, he doesn't even make it to the end of the contract.
I just don't know how the Yankees don't look at Ellsbury and see a player they already have...Brett Gardner. It's like Johnny Damon all over again. Maybe it'll work out, but I'll be surprised. The first thought was Gardner would be traded...but apparently the plan is to put them 1 - 2 in the batting order. I don't know. I don't see it...but maybe Cashman will strike gold. It's happened before.

And I'm very happy about the Kelly Johnson and Brendan Ryan signings if for no other reason than to get Eduardo Nunez the fuck out of the Bronx, lol. I always used to hate how the Yankees never gave their young players a shot at making the team, but that guy has had a ridiculous amount of chances to stick around thanks to all the injuries, and he's terrible on almost all fronts. I'd rather not see Ryan and Johnson both being everyday starters...but as insurance and depth, those are great moves.

I can't believe how many new position players tha Yanks have grabbed already: Ellsbury, McCann, Ryan, and Johnson. Half the damn team is going to be new at this rate, haha.

I just don't know how the Yankees don't look at Ellsbury and see a player they already have...Brett Gardner. It's like Johnny Damon all over again. Maybe it'll work out, but I'll be surprised. The first thought was Gardner would be traded...but apparently the plan is to put them 1 - 2 in the batting order. I don't know. I don't see it...but maybe Cashman will strike gold. It's happened before.

And I'm very happy about the Kelly Johnson and Brendan Ryan signings if for no other reason than to get Eduardo Nunez the fuck out of the Bronx, lol. I always used to hate how the Yankees never gave their young players a shot at making the team, but that guy has had a ridiculous amount of chances to stick around thanks to all the injuries, and he's terrible on almost all fronts. I'd rather not see Ryan and Johnson both being everyday starters...but as insurance and depth, those are great moves.

I can't believe how many new position players tha Yanks have grabbed already: Ellsbury, McCann, Ryan, and Johnson. Half the damn team is going to be new at this rate, haha.
I hope we get a SP and I want Cano for a reasonable price. That said Ellsbury's contract is still awful. I do think he's a better player than Gardner but not $100M better. At this rate I don't even want to think what Trout will cost a few years from now.

I treat enters free agency in his age 26 year (which he should if he is smart), he could be the first 300 million dollar contract. That is, if Kershaw doesn't get that first. I'd gladly pay 30 million dollars a year for Mike Trout on my team.

Also, this day seems really boring after all the shit that happened yesterday, haha.

If Ryan starts, the Yankees will have an awesome defense. Ellsbury and Gardner make for an elite OF.

I really cant see how the Yankees get a good deal with Ellsbury, 7 years is just way too long given his injury history.  Id be surprised if he makes it 5 years honestly.

The Ellsbury contract might be fine. Ichiro was excellent through his age 37 season, and Ellsbury has similar abilities (his power advantage makes up for Ichiro's superior bat control).

Two of his injuries were from collisions, it's not like he's torn several ligaments in his legs and has torn muscles or anything. Moving forward, I'm much more concerned by Matt Kemp's injury history than Ellsbury's. Plus, Boston is one of the worst parks in baseball for left-handed power, and he's going to the very best park in the game for that. It's not saying too much to suggest he can hit 15-20 HR a year while playing for the Yankees.

If Ryan starts, the Yankees will have an awesome defense. Ellsbury and Gardner make for an elite OF.
True...but I don't know that the Yanks have enough pitching for it to matter. They're basically begging Kuroda to not retire. That pretty much says it all, lol. I'm fine with having a lineup of contact hitters. I'd honestly prefer it to the "wait for the 3 run homer" garbage. But I don't know if scoring 2-3 runs is enough to win a game with this pitching staff. Even Sabathia is a question mark at this point.

The Ellsbury contract might be fine. Ichiro was excellent through his age 37 season, and Ellsbury has similar abilities (his power advantage makes up for Ichiro's superior bat control).

Two of his injuries were from collisions, it's not like he's torn several ligaments in his legs and has torn muscles or anything. Moving forward, I'm much more concerned by Matt Kemp's injury history than Ellsbury's. Plus, Boston is one of the worst parks in baseball for left-handed power, and he's going to the very best park in the game for that. It's not saying too much to suggest he can hit 15-20 HR a year while playing for the Yankees.
Defense is overrated unless you play in the NL. During the regular season you can get by with okay defense and an elite offense. Come playoff time it's a totally different ball game because the level of the competition is so much better.

I doubt Gardner is a Yankee this year. Soriano will start in left, and Gardner does not have the offense or the arm to play right. If they can, I suspect the Yankees will try to shop him around and get an innings eater for the 5th spot in the rotation.

The Mariners signed Cano for 10 years/240 million. This will work for maybe 3-4 years before he starts declining and then it becomes probably the worst contract in baseball. Also, this doesn't really make Seattle a threat to either Oakland or Texas atop the division.

EDIT: And it appears the Mets have signed Curtis Granderson.

I wish the Phillies made that Granderson signing.  It sounds like a decent deal.  But no, we have Marlon fucking Byrd.  The Cano signing is shit on top of shit.  And I'm reading the Mariners are still pursuing Cruz, Beltran and Choo.  When did they become the Angels/Dodgers?

Good for the Yankees for letting Cano walk. 10 years is ridiculous at his age. If the Yanks ever want to get away from these albatross contracts, it had to start here. I just hope Ellsbury doesn't become one anyway. Can't wait to see what the team does with that Cano money now though. Time to go shopping!

And I'm reading the Mariners are still pursuing Cruz, Beltran and Choo. When did they become the Angels/Dodgers
Well before Cano, Hernandez was the only player with a large contract.

I don't like the signing to well, but I see why it was done.

Hopefully having a big name in the lineup/ on the team will lead to other players willing to come and play in Seattle.

I wish the Phillies made that Granderson signing. It sounds like a decent deal. But no, we have Marlon fucking Byrd. The Cano signing is shit on top of shit. And I'm reading the Mariners are still pursuing Cruz, Beltran and Choo. When did they become the Angels/Dodgers?
Nintendo opened up the purse strings, it seems.

Well before Cano, Hernandez was the only player with a large contract.

I don't like the signing to well, but I see why it was done.

Hopefully having a big name in the lineup/ on the team will lead to other players willing to come and play in Seattle.
Well yeah, but teams like the Mariners don't make huge signings like that, was my point. They're going to need some other heavy hitter in that lineup because opposing pitchers might as well walk him every AB.

Good for the Yankees for letting Cano walk. 10 years is ridiculous at his age. If the Yanks ever want to get away from these albatross contracts, it had to start here. I just hope Ellsbury doesn't become one anyway. Can't wait to see what the team does with that Cano money now though. Time to go shopping!
Were you hoping they'd give Beltran $45 million over three years with that Cano money?

Well yeah, but teams like the Mariners don't make huge signings like that, was my point. They're going to need some other heavy hitter in that lineup because opposing pitchers might as well walk him every AB.
Well, I think his signing was with hopes that it brings someone else to Seattle. Having a high profile player aside from Felix might have others thinking signing with Seattle would be ok.

Were you hoping they'd give Beltran $45 million over three years with that Cano money?
I don't understand why teams think Beltran is still worth that kind of money. His numbers were solid last year...but in the NL. I'm glad it's only a 3 year deal...but I would have felt much better if it was 2 years and a team option. It's definitely a reactionary signing...and at this rate, the team will have an outfielder for every position, lol. Gardner is without question gone now though.

ESPN decided that we all want more Curt Schilling and decided to stick him in the booth.

He has to have something on the exec's in Bristol because he stinks. They should have fired him after the season and brought back Bobby V.

It's too bad Halladay didn't get his ring with the Phillies or even get to the World Series but I'm glad he can at least say he threw a perfect game and had a no hitter in the post season. Hopefully he gets into the HOF.

It will be tough for him. Kevin Brown has better numbers (more LOL wins and higher career fWAR) and he isn't in yet, but Halladay does have the 2 Cy Young awards, which matter a bit too much to voters. I'd personally vote him and Kevin Brown in, but it's going to be tough with the current state of the Hall of Fame. 

I don't understand why teams think Beltran is still worth that kind of money. His numbers were solid last year...but in the NL. I'm glad it's only a 3 year deal...but I would have felt much better if it was 2 years and a team option. It's definitely a reactionary signing...and at this rate, the team will have an outfielder for every position, lol. Gardner is without question gone now though.
My guess is the Yankees go after Chase Headly, can't imagine costing more than Garnder and a pitching prospect. If all else fails, they can try trading for Brandon Phillips but the asking price appears to be pretty steep right now.

It's a good decision.  Halladay was a mess last season, no reason to put himself and another team through that again.  I'm sure he'll be a Hall of Famer.

It will be tough for him. Kevin Brown has better numbers (more LOL wins and higher career fWAR) and he isn't in yet, but Halladay does have the 2 Cy Young awards, which matter a bit too much to voters. I'd personally vote him and Kevin Brown in, but it's going to be tough with the current state of the Hall of Fame.
Halladay had a way better peak, and Brown had steroid suspicions. Brown's off the ballot anyway.

bread's done
Back