2013 MLB Discussion

McCann was dropped in my fantasy league. HR SB AVG OBP OPS. I currently have Avila and I'm riding on Gattis' hot streak. Is McCann worth a waiver claim? He should be ready by May first.

[quote name='HornyPony']McCann was dropped in my fantasy league. HR SB AVG OBP OPS. I currently have Avila and I'm riding on Gattis' hot streak. Is McCann worth a waiver claim? He should be ready by May first.[/QUOTE]

Hard to say. Depends on how healthy he is and whether Gattis stays hot in terms of how much he plays and produces.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slickkill77']Got this from Rays Index...oiy

Halfway through the month of April, the Rays have an OPS of .581. How bad is that? It is dead last in the AL, 67 points behind the next lowest team, the Twins (.648). It is 117 points worse than the Houston Astros, a team that is composed of Carlos Pena and a bunch of minor leaguers. It is worse than 13 NL teams, the league where nearly one out of nine at bats is by a pitcher. At .581, this would be the worst offensive month in (DEVIL) RAYS HISTORY. Like EVER. By a mile. As of now, the worst month in team history came in April, 2002, when that club posted a .633 OPS. That club lost 106 games…[/QUOTE]

Pro sports in the US should have promotion/relegation the way the Premier League does.

That might not help the Rays, but by forcing teams to be competitive, it would deter pieces of shit like Jeff Loria from getting involved in owning sports teams.

[quote name='mykevermin']Pro sports in the US should have promotion/relegation the way the Premier League does.

That might not help the Rays, but by forcing teams to be competitive, it would deter pieces of shit like Jeff Loria from getting involved in owning sports teams.[/QUOTE]
Yes. Please. God.

Or just a salary cap that has a minimum and maximum that aren't absurdly apart so low ball owners are priced out of the game and wealthy owners can't stockpile too much talent.

[quote name='mykevermin']Pro sports in the US should have promotion/relegation the way the Premier League does.

That might not help the Rays, but by forcing teams to be competitive, it would deter pieces of shit like Jeff Loria from getting involved in owning sports teams.[/QUOTE]

Well to be fair the Rays have been one of the best and most consistent teams since 08 so that really would make sense for them this year. It's just been a stroke of early bad luck. And it's not like the Rays don't spend money they just can't recklessly spend their money

The Braves got three solo jacks in the 8th to bring a 2-2 tie to a 5-2 lead, and end up winning 6-3. Juan Francisco homered twice, Heyward got one, Uggla got one, and Justin Upton hit another one.

The only bad thing from the game was Luis Avilan crumpling on the mound while throwing a pitch, grabbing at his hamstring. I hope it's not as bad as it looked, because it looked really bad. Braves really can't afford another reliever going down.

Went to my first O's game this year. Liked the new jumbotron visuals, about the only thing left that needed refreshing. Seriously, Camden Yards looks almost completely different to how it looked ten years ago.

Kinda disappointed in the small crowd, but maybe everyone figured the team was still on the road.

Dodgers shit the bed. Atlanta looks pretty snappy.
[quote name='dmaul1114']Or just a salary cap that has a minimum and maximum that aren't absurdly apart so low ball owners are priced out of the game and wealthy owners can't stockpile too much talent.[/QUOTE]
Just say no to communism.

Two games in a row where Braves 3B coach Brian Snitker makes a bad call and leaves a runner to die at the plate. I'm not sure how you send Juan Francisco's large ass home on that play. Braves are getting no help from Doug Eddings' shitty strike zone either.

At 10-4, the Red Sox are now 6 games above .500... which they didn't manage at any time last season. All that without David Ortiz. Obviously the starting pitching can't possible continue to be this good, but the bullpen certainly looks legit, and if so they could very well be right in the mix all season.

Jeter out till after All Star break. In the meantime, Yankees need to acquire someone who can hit lefties.

Aaron Hill out for 4-6 weeks, really hurts my fantasy team. My infield is terrible - Seager, Espinosa, Nunez, Kendrik (Fielder and Paul Goldschmith being the only bright spots). Picked up Reynolds and shot a trade proposal of Goldschmith for Longoria.

Great comeback by the Orioles. Wieters throws out ANOTHER runner (seriously, people, just stop trying) and then after a delay while Maddon tries to get Jones out for missing a bag, Matt launches the next pitch onto Eutaw for a walk-off grand slam. And he managed to dodge both Casilla and Jones hitting him with pies.

[quote name='DNukem170']Great comeback by the Orioles. Wieters throws out ANOTHER runner (seriously, people, just stop trying) and then after a delay while Maddon tries to get Jones out for missing a bag, Matt launches the next pitch onto Eutaw for a walk-off grand slam. And he managed to dodge both Casilla and Jones hitting him with pies.[/QUOTE]

That's three walk-off losses in one week for the Rays, all to division opponents.

Braves get back on the winning track beating the Pirates 6-4 on a pinch hit homer from Gattis in the 8th.

Also got homers from Justin Upton (9th on the year!), BJ Upton and Chris Johnson.

Nice seeing power in the Braves line up after the past few years of not having much (other than Uggla in the 30s his first couple years with the team).

[quote name='bvharris']That's three walk-off losses in one week for the Rays, all to division opponents.[/QUOTE]

And they actually started hitting, too.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Braves get back on the winning track beating the Pirates 6-4 on a pinch hit homer from Gattis in the 8th.

Also got homers from Justin Upton (9th on the year!), BJ Upton and Chris Johnson.

Nice seeing power in the Braves line up after the past few years of not having much (other than Uggla in the 30s his first couple years with the team).[/QUOTE]

I don't know who they'd replace him with, but I wouldn't mind if they shipped Uggla out of town.

I hope McCann and Freeman coming back doesn't mess with the roll they're on right now. Taking either Johnson or Francisco out of the lineup is a blow to the production they've been getting. I mentioned when the trade happened about people sleeping on Johnson and acting like he was a throwaway in the Upton deal. He's turned out like I had hoped and is putting up some good games offensively.

Even with a healthy McCann, I'm not sure I'd take the bat out of Gattis' hands right now. That may change, though, if he cools off before McCann comes back at the beginning of May. Freeman should be back on Monday.

At this point, Jon Daniels has to be kicking himself for not getting Upton. I bet he wishes he had locked up Andrus earlier so that he could have done that deal.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']At this point, Jon Daniels has to be kicking himself for not getting Upton. I bet he wishes he had locked up Andrus earlier so that he could have done that deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seriously. And it hurts even more because this line-up is just not producing. And with Berkman out of it because of Interleague Play, that became readily apparent. Murphy and Moreland really need to turn it around and quick. Both Centerfielders need to step it up as well.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I don't know who they'd replace him with, but I wouldn't mind if they shipped Uggla out of town.

I hope McCann and Freeman coming back doesn't mess with the roll they're on right now. Taking either Johnson or Francisco out of the lineup is a blow to the production they've been getting. I mentioned when the trade happened about people sleeping on Johnson and acting like he was a throwaway in the Upton deal. He's turned out like I had hoped and is putting up some good games offensively.

Even with a healthy McCann, I'm not sure I'd take the bat out of Gattis' hands right now. That may change, though, if he cools off before McCann comes back at the beginning of May. Freeman should be back on Monday.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't see much option for replacing Uggla unless the trade him for an infielder. Hopefully he just snaps out of this year plus funk and gets it going again.

Freeman was hitting pretty well, so him coming back should be fine. Gives them the option of platooning Johnson and Francisco based on who's hotter which could motivate them both.

[quote name='DNukem170']Great comeback by the Orioles. Wieters throws out ANOTHER runner (seriously, people, just stop trying) and then after a delay while Maddon tries to get Jones out for missing a bag, Matt launches the next pitch onto Eutaw for a walk-off grand slam. And he managed to dodge both Casilla and Jones hitting him with pies.[/QUOTE]

It may not have affected the outcome but Jones was clearly out. The reason Maddon was pissed is because this is becoming a worrying trend of missed calls consistently going against the Rays. The replays showed he did not touch the base on the way back after touching 2nd. That's an out. Combine that with the ridiculous called strike three call in Texas, the Longoria passing Zobrist call and this one and its just starting to get really old. Especially because all three of these calls have affected the end of the game. Again this call may not have made a difference but it would of been 2nd and 3rd, 1 out.

Speaking to the Fenway crowd prior to the start of today's game, David Ortiz said, "This is our fucking city and nobody is gonna dictate our freedom." Best...moment...ever...

Great comeback by the Orioles again. Looked bad after Hamnel grooved that pitch to Eithier (seriously, it couldn't have been any more in the middle), but the bottom of the order coming up big was great to see. Oh yea, and leaving Belisario in there was awesome. Not a big fan of the attempted suicide squeeze.

Now we get a tribute to the Earl of Baltimore before Game 2.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Speaking to the Fenway crowd prior to the start of today's game, David Ortiz said, "This is our fucking city and nobody is gonna dictate our freedom." Best...moment...ever...[/QUOTE]

And the FCC's response was basically "play on, homeslice" which makes it even better. :D

Porcello really only threw one bad pitch that inning and that was the pitch that Trout rocked out of the park for the Grand Slam. The luck of a sinker baller depends on how many of his ground balls find holes. Thank god I skipped on drafting Porcello in all my leagues.

Porcello got off lucky compared to the Astros' staff. Yeesh.

Also, the Earl Weaver tribute was beautiful. Shame Palmer wasn't there, but if he had the ceremony would have lasted 2 hours.

I would've laughed very hard if someone told me that Yankees will be just 2 games back with Wells hitting third. Hell, being 10-6 with this line up is a miracle.

Brett Gardner CF
Robinson Cano 2B
Vernon Wells LF
Travis Hafner DH
Lyle Overbay 1B
Eduardo Nunez SS
Ichiro Suzuki RF
Jayson Nix 3B
Chris Stewart C

So I have Bryce Harper in one of my fantasy baseball leagues and got offered this deal for him: I give up Harper in return for Mark Reynolds and Barry Zito. Thoughts?

In that same league, I have Reyes, Grienke, Hill, and Cespides on the DL. No good 2B available either, ugh.

[quote name='GamerDude316']So I have Bryce Harper in one of my fantasy baseball leagues and got offered this deal for him: I give up Harper in return for Mark Reynolds and Barry Zito. Thoughts?

In that same league, I have Reyes, Grienke, Hill, and Cespides on the DL. No good 2B available either, ugh.[/QUOTE]

That would be vetoed with in a day.

Harper is hiting like a top 3 fantasy player and has unlimited potential. You can find a better pitcher than Zitto in the FA bin. Reynolds is looking good but I wouldn't buy high on him - grab Rendon as a FA or buy low on Seager instead.

I would want a Cliff Lee type starter and Longoria/Beltre/Wright for Harper.

And my CAG fantasy team keeps on sucking. Medlen and Milone could not get Ws against fucking Pirates and Rays. At least Trout has woken up.

yeah, I never intended on taking it, I just thought I'd see if other CAGs found it as ridiculous as I do.

I am probably gonna try and deal for a 2B though, I have some depth at SS and OF to move.

[quote name='GamerDude316']
I am probably gonna try and deal for a 2B though, I have some depth at SS and OF to move.[/QUOTE]

Heh. I actually have 5 2B eligible players (counting Hill onDL) on my fantasy team which is doing great. Gonna drop Kendrik or Espinosa for Duda in a AVG/OBP/OPS league.

Fantasy team is in dire need of offensive help. Trying to trade for Harper, started of offering Harvey straight up and he shot back with Harper, Balfour and Hammel for Harvey, Fielder and Kimbrel.

Countered with Harvey and Reynolds for Harper. Dude has Moustakas as his starting 3B.

Cubs at least have been "in" a few games? Although they still look awful shaky. I certainly do not want another 100 loss season though.

People knock McCourt, but he was spending money on the team for the most part. 2 NLCS runs right before it all fell apart. He was at least partially engaged in putting a good product on the field. Loria is like the scum of the scum. He is worse than Michael Jackson.

Do any of you guys follow MLB Memes on Facebook or Twitter? They make a lot of funny jokes about the players and teams that I find hysterical. I'm not in any way affialiated with them, but I just love it.

On another note, my Phillies are imploding. Utley is hitting but he'll probably break his knees soon enough, because rumor has it they're bone-on-bone.

I think Utley will be ok, he's the only consistently hitting bright spot we have. They need to stop grounding into double plays, they lead the NL with 23. Watching them get no runs when they have 1st and 3rd with no outs the past 2 games is fucking painful.

bread's done
Back