2013 Yard Sale Thread

One of the things I found that broke on guitars are the middle buttons on the neck on the Guitar Hero 3 style guitars. However, I've found it can be easily fixed. Since playing pushes the circuit board down, it eventually bows, thus making it hard to get a connection to the board as time goes on. The solution I came up with was to dismantle the neck (3 or 4 screws) wrap something thin and hard like a part of a metal ruler, wrap it in a paper towel, then reassemble. It's difficult to screw back together since your essentially straightening the board, but the end result makes it play great.

Is it possible to test these controllers with another game, if I don't have one of the GH games, though I imagine those would probably be free with the guitars.I probably won't be getting the PS2 ones as they seem dead common around here.

I did run into the Wii ones last year, but I didn't get them. I don't personally like the games, but I am always on the lookout for something I can pickup for cheap that I can easily resell, these guitars are cheap at sales, usually under $3 each. Though the ones I am running into look like mostly wired PS2 ones. I think a lot of people have these because Gamestop at least locally was never taking them for trade. I always see them at thrifts, usually under $3 each again, but I will have to watch out for the missing dongles.. Now if only skylanders would start to be as common as these guitars are.

I also assume these guitars fit in one of the board game large flat rate boxes from the USPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neighborhood yard sale today that I could drive the golf cart in. Last year it was pretty good.

Got 2 Stevie Nicks CDs and a Clapton CD for $1.

Saw a ton of Guitar Hero/Rock Band shit. PS2 slim with a full collection of Guitar hero for $125. Wii and Mario Kart for $100.

Only got about an hour or so into rummaging today before a monsoon hit. It rained for about 2 hours or so, but by then everyone was done.

These stories of these jerks with resale shops and flea markets and ebay accounts eating up EVERYTHING of any interest in the area so they can charge double ebay prices just make me want to give up hunting for stuff entirely.

I already have a good sized retro collection that would last me a long time. The few things I really want I would be fine with paying a reasonable price for on ebay or amazon.

Can the market for this older stuff really stay this way? I guess so, but even I get sick of going to stores and seeing a stack of 6 copies of TMNT 4 rotting on the shelf for $50 apeice. Simliar to every other popular, but not really rare SNES game.

Most of these places just stock up on the marios and zeldas and things like that and have 50 or so of them in the back, and charge 30% more than the highest ebay values they can find. I guess, if people are paying, but it's just disgusting to me.

If there weren't these career ebay sellers and resellers the market for things probably wouldn't be so inflated in the first place. I think with Ebay going to basically BIN only and amazon marketplace it's really inflated values on a lot of this stuff because all the sellers basically up each other in prices.

[quote name='jer7583']These stories of these jerks with resale shops and flea markets and ebay accounts eating up EVERYTHING of any interest in the area so they can charge double ebay prices just make me want to give up hunting for stuff entirely.

I already have a good sized retro collection that would last me a long time. The few things I really want I would be fine with paying a reasonable price for on ebay or amazon.

Can the market for this older stuff really stay this way? I guess so, but even I get sick of going to stores and seeing a stack of 6 copies of TMNT 4 rotting on the shelf for $50 apeice. Simliar to every other popular, but not really rare SNES game.

Most of these places just stock up on the marios and zeldas and things like that and have 50 or so of them in the back, and charge 30% more than the highest ebay values they can find. I guess, if people are paying, but it's just disgusting to me.

If there weren't these career ebay sellers and resellers the market for things probably wouldn't be so inflated in the first place. I think with Ebay going to basically BIN only and amazon marketplace it's really inflated values on a lot of this stuff because all the sellers basically up each other in prices.[/QUOTE]

What I don't understand is why you see super common stuff like TMNT 4 or Super Mario Kart commands a high price. These games sold several million copies, even if you assume say 50% of them are either A. Sitting in a landfill B. Locked in someones attic or C. Already in collectors hands, you have to assume there's at the very least a number in the high hundreds of thousands of copies still out there on the open market. Perhaps it's just poor distribution, but you'd think that there'd be a fair amount of market equilibrium with these prices.

That is what I don't understand, you have players choice games like Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green and all these other games that were dirt common fetching high prices. Between the stores in my area at the time alone for $20 each there were probably 300-400 copies of Pokemon Fire Red and leaf green on the shelves at any time and that is just for one city in the whole USA. These games should be $5 a pop by now. I can't imagine demand for these games being that high or people wanting them that much so much so that the supply is not meeting demand. There are many other Pokemon's released since then and I have played them all and the experience is largely the same between games, so it would be beneficial to purchase just the latest ones for new players at least from the DS generation. Even if you wanted to transfer Pokemon from GBA games to the DS games you would have to go through quite a hassle and I don't see the point as there are various other ways to obtain the missing Pokemon in each game these days since the games are online. I haven't touched my older Pokemon games in years, but apparently they have matured in value quite some.

I can understand for a limited print run like Xenoblade (although it would benefit the maker of the game to print more at this point as copies are going for $100 each and more). My cousin had Xenoblade and told me it wasn't even that good, he sold his copy, but personally, I wouldn't pay $100 for any game, no matter how good it was.

Is TMNT 4 really that great of a game where someone can justify paying $50 for it, I don't think so, personally, there were an awful lot of really lame games from the SNES and NES era, moreso from the NES, there are actually very few games from that era that I am interested in sitting down and playing for more than 3 min each. There are good SNES games, but those can be had on the VC for much less than ebay copies, when the price on the VC is 1/3 or less of what the ebay price is I have no problem buying digital content.

I also don't understand why people buy at these high priced retro game stores when most of them have no return policy and the stuff isn't in that great of condition when you can buy a perfect condition game on ebay that at least comes with buyer protection in case it doesn't work for less money and with less hassle. Comes from personal experience, these stores are nothing great, and their merchandise is dirty and sometimes doesn't work and they won't take it back. Through ebay I can deliver a much cleaner guaranteed working game that I tested 2-3 days before the auction than a retro game store owner can simply because I take the time to do the work (its not hard either mind you). These store owners just have carts in the back and they don't bother to clean or test them the proper way, they just buy stuff and put it on the shelf at 30-40 percent markup as was discussed. No offense to someone who runs a store where they actually clean games properly. There can't be that many people that are not connected to the internet that want to play retro games where there only choice would be a local overpriced retro game store.

Went out to a community wide sale today and found some really nice items. It was a beautiful day so really nice for the large community sales where you do a lot of walking.

The first sale I went to was advertised as an Estate sale and said that it had Nintendo and other video game related items. I usually just skip these kinds of sales because it will either have nothing I really want or really overpriced.
Plus there is always a gaggle of people wanting to buy gaming items and I'm not going to push shove or fight over the stuff. However this sale started an hr before the community sale so I figured I'd take a peek since it wasn't going to cut into my time at any of the other sales.
They even opened up a little early so there was only 3 of us in the house. they had a couple original Nintendo with Track meet for $12 each. Not a bad price but I have several and certainly don't need another. There were a couple guys who came in about 15 min later and were really happy to find the NES so I'm glad they are going to a good home. They also had a couple PS1 (small version) with DDR game and mat
And Then I found this :bouncy:

DSC08258_zps3b93fe76.jpg

Paid $30

All the cords etc were with it I just didn't take a photo of them. It also came with Urban Surfer/Snowboarder Set Up Instructions. I believe it was some kind of demo unit and the Seals are still intact on the unit.

Here's a close up of the Instructions

DSC08259_zps7a54e408.jpg

The rest of the day was pretty slow as far as even seeing games. I did find a few though

DSC08256_zps61c4480d.jpg

GTA & Ratchet & Clank I paid $1 each
Spyro $1
Wii Music New .50
Orginal DS no charger but works great $3.50
Gameboy Advance Game .25

Towards the end of the day I found another gem. I'm honestly not sure which I'm Happier about The Amiga CD or this

DSC08257_zpsa3c057c5.jpg

Brand new and sealed. Had it marked at $75 but I got it for $50 I have been wanting a psp but hadn't found one at the right price until now

I found a lot of great non gaming stuff while I was out including a
RCA Selectavision (with original box) and over 50 Movies. I was just looking at the movies when the lady running the sale came over and said they were trying to sell it all together for $25. I jokingly said for $20 and you got a deal. She quickly agreed saying they just wanted it gone. OH I could so hear my husband groan and roll his eyes as I was handing over a $20 for the lot.
I have a large movie collection including laserdiscs so I really don't have room for this. But I've never seen a player before so I'm curious as to the quality etc and it was only $20.

Didn't take a picture but here's what it looks like
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-CED-SEL...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'd guess that many people played the super common games when they were younger, traded/sold/lost their copy. Then grew up and nostalgia kicked in and were willing to pay. I know there's alot of stuff I'd definitely buy from my childhood and if I wanted it bad enough I'd pay top dollar. Also some people may be fine with just buying the popular games and playing them every now and then. Not like collectors or hardcore gamers who want to play a ton of games and have to buy all those games.

[quote name='spmahn']What I don't understand is why you see super common stuff like TMNT 4 or Super Mario Kart commands a high price. These games sold several million copies, even if you assume say 50% of them are either A. Sitting in a landfill B. Locked in someones attic or C. Already in collectors hands, you have to assume there's at the very least a number in the high hundreds of thousands of copies still out there on the open market. Perhaps it's just poor distribution, but you'd think that there'd be a fair amount of market equilibrium with these prices.[/QUOTE]

I think it just comes out to supply and demand. Like you said most copies are stashed away somewhere. People keep them for nostalgia and others are collectors. Others just tucked away somewhere in Jimmy's closet that he hasn't looked into for years and he has no idea where it is.

I think sometimes people underestimate how many people collect games or enjoy playing the older games. When I was in college a few years ago I knew of multiple kids who had dorm room Mario Party or Mario Kart nights on the N64 (instead of playing whatever is hot on the PS3/360). Also as time goes on, more and more of these games are falling into the hands of collectors who plan on never letting them go, so the number of copies that are owned by people who would gladly sell them are dropping.

People love stuff from their childhood. Same reason Transformers and He-Man fetches big bucks. I'm generally pretty good at avoiding stuff that is over priced, but like 8 months ago I was cruising around eBay and saw a brand new "I Saved the Princess" Mario Bros poster. I got the same poster when I was in 6 years old in kindergarten and had it hung up behind my bed until I was like 12 or 13. I definitely paid way too much for a poster that was originally bought for 5 bucks at a school book sale, but I just had to have it. Lots of people seem to feel the same way with Mario Kart or Ocarina of Time.

I would be a bit more vested in collectibles but I have a long life ahead of me, I am unemployed with absolutely no chance of a regular job where I live and I am probably going to have to pack up and move someday. If I had a job that I could work until retirement and had a house that I owned and planed to live in till I die I might be a bit more dedicated to collecting things I really want but right now I know I am probably going to have to move out of here and the less stuff I have to take the better. Even given the essentials I have enough stuff to pack up already believe me, way more than one person can handle on their own. I don't want to be one of those suckers who has to sell everything off at their moving sale or pawn all their games because they have to leave the area and can't take it with them. I am 100% sure I am going to have to move roughly within the next 5-10 years simply due to my situation I am going to get thrown out of the house I live in. There are a lot of things I would like to own but I just can't do it right now in my life or I am going to have to deal with taking it with me and like I said I already have enough to take with me.

[quote name='jer7583']These stories of these jerks with resale shops and flea markets and ebay accounts eating up EVERYTHING of any interest in the area so they can charge double ebay prices just make me want to give up hunting for stuff entirely.

If there weren't these career ebay sellers and resellers the market for things probably wouldn't be so inflated in the first place. I think with Ebay going to basically BIN only and amazon marketplace it's really inflated values on a lot of this stuff because all the sellers basically up each other in prices.[/QUOTE]

Its simple really, supply and demand. Thats it. Doesnt matter if it is a common game, a lot of people want it, so whenever someone does put up a low priced game compared to the rest of ebay / amazon it gets bought up immediately.

And you have it backwards, sellers do not up each other in prices they actually undercut each other by a couple cents, if 10 people undercut each other something might drop a dollar in price.

I slept in until 10 and had to be at work by 11, but there was a flea market at the church across from my job and I was a few minutes early to work anyway so...

Ti-83 Graphing Calculator (x2)
DS Lite Onyx

Originally the graphing calculators were marked $5 each and the DS Lite was marked $15, but I was able to get the bundle for $15 total after showing her none of it turned on so I didn't know if it worked. As soon as I got home I changed the batteries in the graphing calcs and charged the DS, and voila! It all works! I think I'll wait until late summer to sell the calcs to get the most profit, but will probably go ahead and flip the DS now.

ds lite rock band 5 bucks flipped to gamestop the same day

mario kart ds 1.00
cars ds 1.00
club pengin. 50 cents
tornado 50 cents

last weekend...

went on a saturday.. mother goes you should of came yesterday they had over 30 DS games for 1.00 each dragon quest 4-6 had a ps2 go for 5 and a dsi for 10

said their kids are into the ps3 stuff now and sold everything dirt cheap

ugh, door knocking game resellers. How shitty of an upbringing do you need to have to be that manner-less and shameless? Maybe they are getting desperate and need to sell some games quick to make rent on their efficiency studio in the bad part of town.

it is a rough supply/demand scenario. People are buying at these prices because, in the grand scheme of things, $40 for a popular SNES game is not gonna break the bank. That's not even the price of a full priced retail game. So if it's Mario RPG or TMNT or Contra, big nostalgia games, it's gonna stabilize at a higher price. Same for all the gamecube games.
But for some reason rare games get a huge boost-- Hagane, Final Fight Guy, Cubivore-- when they were just slightly higher priced only like two years ago. I don't know if that's because some of these new SNES buyers are converting to collectors and got their hands on hidden gems articles or what. Similarly on Gamecube, Skies of Arcadia and Eternal Darkness are getting up there.

Pretty much only us normal game collectors who are going to legitimately buy stuff for our collection get screwed, not that anyone should care, but it's damn annoying. I've given up and live vicariously through people in this thread.

On the plus side, people buying for nostalgia purposes and not to collect are more likely to get rid of their stuff once they're done. That's when there'll be an opportunity for the price to drop on these games. I've also seen theories on digitpress about collectible game prices going down as the economy gets better.

But that still doesn't solve the problem of trashy door knockers, I think they're just a fact of life now.

Nothing in the form of Video Games today, but did find these.

Don't think they are worth much, but still didn't pay alot for them either haha.

[quote name='Seraphinianus']ugh, door knocking game resellers. How shitty of an upbringing do you need to have to be that manner-less and shameless? Maybe they are getting desperate and need to sell some games quick to make rent on their efficiency studio in the bad part of town.

it is a rough supply/demand scenario. People are buying at these prices because, in the grand scheme of things, $40 for a popular SNES game is not gonna break the bank. That's not even the price of a full priced retail game. So if it's Mario RPG or TMNT or Contra, big nostalgia games, it's gonna stabilize at a higher price. Same for all the gamecube games.
But for some reason rare games get a huge boost-- Hagane, Final Fight Guy, Cubivore-- when they were just slightly higher priced only like two years ago. I don't know if that's because some of these new SNES buyers are converting to collectors and got their hands on hidden gems articles or what. Similarly on Gamecube, Skies of Arcadia and Eternal Darkness are getting up there.

Pretty much only us normal game collectors who are going to legitimately buy stuff for our collection get screwed, not that anyone should care, but it's damn annoying. I've given up and live vicariously through people in this thread.

On the plus side, people buying for nostalgia purposes and not to collect are more likely to get rid of their stuff once they're done. That's when there'll be an opportunity for the price to drop on these games. I've also seen theories on digitpress about collectible game prices going down as the economy gets better.

But that still doesn't solve the problem of trashy door knockers, I think they're just a fact of life now.[/QUOTE]

There should be a point in time where everyone tries to get rid of their stuff at the same time, its like with Hummel figurines, from what I hear everyone's grandmother collected them, now since they are dead and their kids have grown up and no longer want the figurines the market is now flooded with them and they worth almost nothing. But right now there is a boom for some reason, however games are very volitile and they could start losing value at the drop of a hat.

Its a bit different with electronics because things can stop working, but SNES stuff is really solid and so is NES stuff, and if its not solid it can be fixed really easily.

If you are talking 50 years from now I don't know how much of this stuff will be left and working, but if you are going for long term you need to think of that.

People who buy for nostalgia in their 20's will lose it by the time they get into their early 30's, get married and have kids, they will want to sell off their collections so they can have money for the baby and marriage. They may save stuff for their kids to have it but I have news for them... your kids won't care about old toys.

I am not a door knocker, I rarely ask for games unless it seems appropriate for the situation, I don't run up to sales and ask for video games right away. I only buy the games if they are already put out, if someone wants to bring games out for me to buy that is their choice. I probably work way too hard on this since I have the intrinsic motivation to want to deliver a quality product to the people that buy from me. Not every door knocker has this type of motivation.

Got a Wii system with Mario Kart and Wii Sports (not pictured) for $35
Also got a fat PS2 in the original box for $10 (not pictured)
Got the following games for a $1 each:

JfMZeX2.jpg

Yard sale video game finds have been few and far between for me. Seems like most yard sales there is at least one person asking the seller if they have game stuff or records! I did find a really nice lot of N64 games this weekend; Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Pokemon Stadium 1 + 2, Smash Bros., Spider-Man, and Extreme G2 for $30!

Aside from that, my best game find of late was an ex-rental copy of Earthbound in a storage unit! I. Was. Thrilled.

Happy hunting!

[quote name='dasme313']Yard sale video game finds have been few and far between for me. Seems like most yard sales there is at least one person asking the seller if they have game stuff or records! I did find a really nice lot of N64 games this weekend; Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Pokemon Stadium 1 + 2, Smash Bros., Spider-Man, and Extreme G2 for $30!

Aside from that, my best game find of late was an ex-rental copy of Earthbound in a storage unit! I. Was. Thrilled.

Happy hunting![/QUOTE]

See that N64 haul would make my season!

$30 for $100+ of games.

[quote name='jer7583']Nice! Is mario golf on n64 any good? I loved the GameCube one.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I'm a fan of both. Mario Tennis on the N64 was a good one as well.

[quote name='Zazoo']
DSC08258_zps3b93fe76.jpg

Paid $30

All the cords etc were with it I just didn't take a photo of them. It also came with Urban Surfer/Snowboarder Set Up Instructions. I believe it was some kind of demo unit and the Seals are still intact on the unit.[/QUOTE]

:hot: I'd be checking to see if I could play Elvira 2: The Jaws of Cerberus if I had that there device.

Yea dude it pisses me off. The only way to beat these guys is to wake up at literally 5:00 a.m. every Saturday and speed run through the sales.

[quote name='WV Matsui']See that N64 haul would make my season!

$30 for $100+ of games.[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not me and my friend went to one about two weeks ago and found a huge haul. The lady had some dirty systems and some boxed 64 games that weren't that great. Well...that is, until we found boxed Banjo, Smash, and Stunt Racer. fucking Stunt Racer.

[quote name='WV Matsui']See that N64 haul would make my season!

$30 for $100+ of games.[/QUOTE]

Keep looking, and don't be afraid to ask (although in all honestly, I don't ask nearly as much as I used to) if someone has game stuff. My best find ever came a couple years ago when I asked a guy if he had game stuff. He brought out a box of boxed SNES Rpgs & a couple sealed NES games and other things. I didn't pay much more for that than the N64 games.

[quote name='Tuxmanv2']Yea dude it pisses me off. The only way to beat these guys is to wake up at literally 5:00 a.m. every Saturday and speed run through the sales.[/QUOTE]

And speeding through sales is never fun. Half of the enjoyment from Yard Sales come from searching at your own pace. :lol:

[quote name='Tuxmanv2']Yea dude it pisses me off. The only way to beat these guys is to wake up at literally 5:00 a.m. every Saturday and speed run through the sales.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, that won't even cut it around here. Everyone around me has their sales on Thursday and Friday, when I work. Even if they still have them on Saturdays, they're picked clean of any game stuff by then by people who flip and resell for a living. THAT'S what making me lose my taste for yard sales.

I can't go on Saturdays anyway so I love Thursday and Friday sales. I work all of those days but not until 1230 on Thursday and Friday.

[quote name='TheHeef']Honestly, that won't even cut it around here. Everyone around me has their sales on Thursday and Friday, when I work. Even if they still have them on Saturdays, they're picked clean of any game stuff by then by people who flip and resell for a living. THAT'S what making me lose my taste for yard sales.[/QUOTE]

same here....I really don't get it, am I the only person that has a job that I have to be at M-F? How do all these people have time to have yard sales on thursday and friday?! and the thurs/fri sales are ALWAYS the ones that have games.

I have to drive about an hour away to some little hick towns in the middle of nowhere for sales now, it costs a little more in gas but its worth it because most of those people don't know shit about "ebay prices" and there are no resellers out there

[quote name='crows in black']same here....I really don't get it, am I the only person that has a job that I have to be at M-F? How do all these people have time to have yard sales on thursday and friday?! and the thurs/fri sales are ALWAYS the ones that have games. [/QUOTE]
Same thing here, motherfuckers are out when I am doing my rounds for work between 4 and 7 in the morning. They park in the middle of the roads and go door knocking. Pisses me off. Luckily my work involves inspecting ditches, roadways, and culverts so I block the fuckers in if I can.

When my dad used to do a lot of yard sales he would go out immediately after his third shift job. A lot of people either make a living at reselling or work alternate schedules (4 tens, etc) to make time for yard sales.

I'm just glad there are only Saturday sales here.

Maybe this is the right place to ask this question. I am going to be selling a PS2 and a launch 360 (fully functional, been repaired by a guy I know from disc read error). How much should I price them at? The PS2 is the fat system with a controller and all the cables. The 360 has no controller (unless I can find one I don't need anymore) but all the cables. What would you guys think would be a fair asking price?

Probably $15 - $20 by itself, $20 - $30 if you have 5-10 games with it. I've picked up bundles with 8-12 games before for $25. They sell for $40 at GS so don't expect to get much.

BTW, June 1st is the last day to trade in anything PS2 related at GS. Not that they would give you anything for them at this point.

Great morning.

Samurai Shodown (SNES)
Road Runner (SNES)
Rush 2049 (n64)
Goldeneye (n64)
Mario Golf (n64)
Conkers Bad Fur Day (n64)

Popeye Game and Watch Tabletop

All for 5.00. A few are rough but still. All at one sale.

Well I have a perfect example of how ebay has totally ruined yard sales here....

Today I saw an ad for an estate sale with a bunch of metal lunchboxes from the 80s, and it said "priced to MOVE!!!" So I had my gf check since I was at work. They had the typical stuff listed that you always see at flea markets; he-man, pacman, starwberry shortcake....nothing rare and most of it you can get on ebay for $10-20.

So my gf is on the phone with me and says "wow they are really cheap! $1.00....$1.50.....$3.00" then she goes to pay and the seller says "no thats not a dollar fifty...its ONE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS" i shit you not! One of them i just bought for $10 at a comic shop too! Then she realizes that EVERY lunchbox was over $100!! Another guy there looking at them asked "ummm, where did you come up with these prices?!" And take a wild guess what she said? The thing is, I looked up the few lunchboxes I wanted on ebay and couldn't find any that sold anywhere close to $100 so I dont know how she even came up with that.

I guess "priced to move" means 10 times the ebay value now....I would hate to see what she thinks the ACTUAL value is! I mean do these people really think they are going to make like 6 figures from a yard sale?!?

Ebay: the cause of, and solution to all of lifes problems!

[quote name='crows in black']Well I have a perfect example of how ebay has totally ruined yard sales here....

Today I saw an ad for an estate sale with a bunch of metal lunchboxes from the 80s, and it said "priced to MOVE!!!" So I had my gf check since I was at work. They had the typical stuff listed that you always see at flea markets; he-man, pacman, starwberry shortcake....nothing rare and most of it you can get on ebay for $10-20.

So my gf is on the phone with me and says "wow they are really cheap! $1.00....$1.50.....$3.00" then she goes to pay and the seller says "no thats not a dollar fifty...its ONE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS" i shit you not! One of them i just bought for $10 at a comic shop too! Then she realizes that EVERY lunchbox was over $100!! Another guy there looking at them asked "ummm, where did you come up with these prices?!" And take a wild guess what she said? The thing is, I looked up the few lunchboxes I wanted on ebay and couldn't find any that sold anywhere close to $100 so I dont know how she even came up with that.

I guess "priced to move" means 10 times the ebay value now....I would hate to see what she thinks the ACTUAL value is! I mean do these people really think they are going to make like 6 figures from a yard sale?!?

Ebay: the cause of, and solution to all of lifes problems![/QUOTE]

I can tell you that people were spouting values on stuff like this way before ebay, it just depends on the seller. However you can take solace in the fact that at those prices they will definitely not sell any. No one in my area is gonna pay $100 for a lunchbox that is supposedly rare and collectible, just trust me on that one. Buyers here argue dimes and nickles in my area, no one would pay those prices lol! I have seen people spout just about anything as being collectible and rare with no bases on their claim whatsoever, not even "it goes for this much on ebay". Fortunately the vast majority of people at yard sales do not do this. But estate sales are different, estate sales can be run by companies that just go on ebay and look up the prices of everything they are selling then mark it up 30% because they take a cut of it because they are a business. This is why I rarely bother with estate sales in my area.

Perhaps also he is trying to pull a scam, I watched a show once that described a scam where a seller touts something as highly collectible and worth a fortune, and charges like $100 or more for it, but since they talk about how much it can go for on ebay and such, they are able to reel in unsuspecting buyers that overhear the conversation to buy the stuff because they think they can get like, $500 for it online for example. When in reality the item is really a piece of junk worth nothing. Perhaps he was trying to convince people of the value of the item so that they would pay $100 for it in the hopes that they would make $500 on ebay..

On the other hand two weeks ago I ran into someone who was giving everything at their yard sale away for free since they were done and packed up.

If this guy is moving then I would check his garbage on garbage day, he probably will throw a bunch of it out, lunchboxes are really bulky and difficult to take with you in a move.

Yeah but before ebay, stuff from the 80s was only like 10 years old at the most and not "old and collectible"....which reminds me, I forgot to mention that she said "well these are REALLY old". Excuse me but since when is 1985 considered "really old"? So what are ACTUAL antiques from the 1800s and early 1900s.....are those considered ancient human artifacts from before the dawn of time? I don't think she was a scammer as much as she was a dumbass. I think the house was a relative of hers and he just happened to have a lunchbox collection and she flat out said she went on ebay to get the prices. I was so damn mad I wanted to take my lunch break to go yell at her!

But around here, like 90% of all yard sales have ebay prices, I would even go so far as to say that every video game item I have ever found here had a seller who at some point mentioned ebay. When I think back on everything I found last year, I can't even remember one person who DIDN'T mention ebay. Its ridiculous! The annoying thing is its always the upper class people in huge houses that want like 100 dollars for an atari that has been rotting in their basement for 30 years, but the people in the poor area of town will sell me an NES with 20 games for $5

I guess it really comes down to the area you live in, it seems to vary greatly as to how much older video game stuff you can find and at what price

8748438977_67c2846d0a_z.jpg

A coworker of mine called me during his break as he was out driving around and said there was a yard sale over by his house. He said I should check it out. I went over and there was a PS2 priced at $50 with a DJ Hero Wireless turntable. Pass. So I ask the lady running it if she had any other games. She told me to wait and she brought out a handful of NES games. I asked her what she wanted and told me to make and offer. I told her I usually pay $1 each for games on average (which is true) and she said that was fine. So for $12 I ended up with:

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
Rush N' Attack
Tecmo Bowl
Skate or Die (x2)
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Rad Racer
Double Dribble
Legend of Zelda
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

This is like the 3rd copy of Zelda I've found in 3 weeks. Lets hope the luck keep up!

8748440935_b4bfec81aa_z.jpg

Found this at an early sale before work. No real story but picked up:

GameCube controller (x2)
PSP 2001 (dead screen)
Simpsons Hit & Run (GameCube)
Indigo Prophecy (Xbox)

I offered her $5 for everything but the controllers and found them while walking away and gave her the extra 50 cents for them.

Yeah 1985 is definitely not really old, that would be reserved for things from the 1800's and early 1900's as you say. I was listening to a radio station the other day and a DJ called a song from 2003 an old school song...... last time I checked 2003 wasn't that many years ago and there are plenty of songs older than that out there.

Rarely do I see someone mention ebay around here, but if they do chances are they won't be selling anything. I might run into 4-5 sales for the whole season that use ebay pricing or mention ebay. Just trust me, these sales aren't selling anything. I actually ran into a church sale of all things that was using ebay pricing. These church sales get everything in as donations from the people who go to the church so they are not paying for the merchandise. I will not be returning to that sale. They had a bag sale at the end as they usually do so I grabbed several things and went home to look them up as I usually do, and they were all marked exactly at ebay prices. Although the $5 for a garbage bag kind of defeated their attempts at ebay pricing.

I mean I see people that have way too much on each game but that is not new either, I don't think they are going to ebay for the prices though, because the prices are way off of ebay, they are probably using an outdated source or basing it on what they paid for the game. Its more likely that people would use gamestop's pricing here since gamestop is basically where everyone goes to buy games here.

I don't usually go into the more upper class places here, though its debatable if we even have anything that could be remotely considered upper class in the whole WNY area. The prices are almost always higher in these neighborhoods so that is nothing new. I usually don't bother with estate sales because the resellers line up in droves 2 hours before the sale starts (why they don't hit the regular yard sales is beyond me) but something is different about estate sales, the word estate just seems to draw a larger crowd. Plus these estate sales are run by several companies in my area, and as I said before they probably use ebay to look up prices and then charge their markup on top of that, so it makes going to an estate sale completely pointless.

I don't see too much demand for lunch boxes right now, as I said they are quite bulky and unless you have a nice place to display them and possibly a huge house or a moderately sized house to display them in I don't see anyone wanting to create a massive collection of them. I know, I have a closet full of plastic 80's lunchboxes. They aren't bad for storing Gameboy games and handheld games in though so I have kind of repurposed them into keeping my stuff dust free while it sits in the closet. But finding someplace to put them other than a closet would be difficult and would eat quite a chunk of space in a house or room.

10-15 years ago you could find a lot of 80's toys and stuff but like everything it gets much harder to find older things as time passes and people get rid of it. But people were spouting collectible pricing on antiques at sales in the 80's and 90's just as they do now with ebay, though. I remember specifically a sale where someone was charging quite a bit for cabbage patch dolls before ebay became the in thing, more than retail, and they were available in stores easily at that time. I have been going to sales for pretty much my whole life since I was a kid and it does happen on occasion but if its happening at every sale then I would just quit and not go to any more since if I want something I would just get it on ebay and it wouldn't be worth the gas money or time to go to any sales.

I have to do that with thrift stores here, unless I am going in for clothes, and I can get clothes cheaper at retail than at the thrift, so I had to pretty much stop going to thrifts since it became not worth it. Same with flea markets because everything at the market costs more than on ebay especially for games. But I know in other area's they have really good thrifts that don't mark everything up and other places have really good flea markets. Over here we get charged $8-15 for worn out jeans.... yeah right!

Cabbage Patch dolls were like the beanie babies of the 80s (everyone thought they would be worth money and they never were)! I am just glad I got 90% of my toys at yard sales in the early 90s when you could get he-man and thundercats figures for 5 cents each, those were the days!

My mom got me a cabbage patch doll that Xmas when they came out, she was on a waiting list for it at a toy store, but I hated it when I got it. I probably didn't even ask for it as I was like 2-3. But I did become interested in them when I was a bit older. I still see people charging $5-10 for cabbage patch dolls that are used and worn out, you can almost never get them cheap, if you can even find them. I had a ton of them as a kid, so I guess they had fire sales on them at stores or else I would not have had 15-20 of them. But they aren't worth much money at all. However pound puppies were a huge fad in the 80's and I still find them at sales (and it was a fad I actually liked back in the day) they clean up really well and I now have a huge collection spanning a couple of large boxes.

Scored big today!

As soon as I got out of the car, I found Abe Lincoln ($5) on the ground looking up at me:
$5 (always good to find cash to start the day)

One sale had a stack of shitty PS2 games, got:
Gauntlet Seven Sorrows PS2 Marked $1
In the back they had a box with some Xbox controllers, and a few PS3 games Band Hero and shit like that, but found:
Doom 3 BFG Edition for PS3 marked $10

The lady was busy and told me $5 for both.

Next sale:
Mega Man V for Gameboy cart only for 50 cents! That should fund my yard sales for a couple weeks.

Saw a PSMove and a few other things, but didn't have time to poke around too much, have to go do some work in a little bit, so had to leave early.

All in all, 50 cents for some decent stuff today. 2 things to play, 1 to trade/sell.

Struck out on games today, but managed to find 2 TI-83s. Offered $5 for both and she took it!

Missed a Super Nintendo yardsale today, lady said she had 6 people ask about it before I got there. I didn't realize I had that much competition in the area.

Nothing game related, but did get a little red wagon (metal) for $10. Also got 2 wooden cheese boxes for $5.

One game seller was at the community sale with all his overpriced junk.

First sale I hit advertised CD/DVD/Blu... None left at open of the second day...

Well here's everything I got today

6r6nms.jpg

9 LEGO sets. 2 of them are sealed, the rest I'm about to find out if they are complete or not. Total was $105.

N64 with Yoshis Story, Mario Kart, and 2 controllers- $15

Lot of 24 NES games- $20

Scored pretty good.. Got some SNES strategy guides, some GC games, Genesis and Wii.. Will post haul later.
Also, for $3 got a book of magic and pokemon cards.. Anyone have an online Price Guide I can go on to look them up?
lastly, for $5 got a brand new hiking backpack. Lady said she used it once!

Didn't get any video games. Saw some PS3, PS2 and GB/A games and two SP systems ($15 and $20). Fairly priced games ($10 for GBA Zelda, $1-$3 for other GBA games), but nothing that was a steal or I was overly interested in.

At the first stop, they had Pokemon balls for 50 cents. I wasn't paying a lot of attention and grabbed a Mewtwo for my nephew figuring they were from Happy Meals or something. Turns out they were those 23k cards. They had 5 (everyone but Pikachu). When I got home I noticed the card inside was for Jigglypuff and the certificate of authenticity was for Charizard. :(

At the GBA sale I picked up
Back to the Future DVD trilogy (the 2002 release) for $3
Dogma ($1)
Thor (Blu+DVD+Digital) for $3

Hit a few more with no real finds. My sister found some books and we found my dad a Louis L'Amour novel for 10 cents.

Then we stopped at the Salvation Army. For 50 cents I grabbed a Top Gun "Official Air Group Emblems Iron-On" of the Tomcat, still in the display packaging. The copyright is from 1986, although not positive if it was an original.

bread's done
Back