2013 Yard Sale Thread

If that isn't your best find, you must have had some INSANE finds. I can't believe you found pretty much every rare US Saturn release in one fell swoop. What did you end up paying for that lot?
2011 and 2012 were so much more insane. Probably because there were a lot less people doing this but my Super Nintendo collection is proof of how many good deals were available. This guy conciously purchased these games predicting they were going to be rare. He went to every Funcoloand he could looking for them. He did the same thing with PS1 but he sold it to a reseller late last year.

Nice find. I reget throwing out my system with games back then :(

Anyway, I hit up 3 yard sales. Only 1 had ps3 games, but I wasnt interested since I dont have a ps3 system. I did pick up the following:

Megaman tv series dvd (A hero is born and battle for the future) $5 each

Teenage mutant ninja turtles 3 blu ray movie $1

2 stuff toys $1

brand new 1995 toy biz black spiderman and 1992 xmen ice man $2 each

I didnt know that megaman had a tv series. Im not sure if it was worth it, but $5 each cant be that bad right?

I got ice man because the package said it changes color when in cold water. Im a fan of spiderman and these reminded me of the 90's show so I grab it. I wish i could find great deals on games like so many here on cag, but i guess living in the DC, VA, MD area is difficult and most of these people be asking for too much or what "ebay" is selling. I was able to talk to the guy that gave me the dvd and blu ray down to $11, which was the cheapest he was going to go. Any tips on talking prices down and finding epic video game deals?
Are you on the DC to Baltimore corridor? I'm NE of Baltimore which is something like a wasteland for retro games and even the presence of other collectors. I usually have to hit 20-30 houses on a Saturday to turn up finds; it's all about casting a wide net and sometimes just having dumb luck (being at the right place at the right time, etc).

Now for people you know are resellers sometimes your best bet is to do your homework and talk down the items which you know are hard to sell. Visiting a sale later in the day can help in some cases too; seller resistance tends to be broken down by the heat, even more so if their sale is in a low-traffic area.
Im in the rockville, MD area. Its good to hear from a fellow cag lol. Wish there was some cool cag that wants to hand out around here.

I go to yard sales that is around my area when i got some free time or when its on the way of a place im going. Im not going to drive 1 hour plus just to waste gas and time. The only thing i found was a mod white wii for $5 everything but no remote. Its great to see other cag here finding great deals, but for some reason my area is like a hit or miss. Thank you for the tip. Oh, is megaman show rare or something? I never heard of it (I use to watch sonic, zelda, mario bros, etc.) Was megaman not popular?
On the mega man I'm not sure; it could be a case where the DVD is out of print and demand is just higher than the supply. That's a pretty good pick actually if you got a $70 value for $10 there.

Yeah, I try to go to community sales myself, where I don't have to drive far and I can visit many households on foot. Either that or I'll hit the Craigslist yardsale ads which have nerdish themes and who don't look like resellers. There's a ton of cool stuff you can find right in your backyard, it just takes time to reveal itself.

I didn't get a chance to post until now but I did get 2 DS games for $1 each

Retro Atari classics
Atari Greatest hits volume 1

Since I rarely find DS games for less than $10 each these were good finds

I picked this up yesterday. I might be a prisoner of the moment but this might be my best lot ever. Multiplayer Bomberman is going to be crazy this summer. Here's what you want...

2 Saturn Systems
2 Multitaps
Backup Ram
Action Replay
Arcade Stick
2 Light Guns
4 Controllers

Burning Rangers
Castlevania Symphony of the Night Import
Dark Savior
Daytona USA
Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition
Dragon Force
Fighters Megamix
Fighting Vipers
Guardian Heroes
House of the Dead
Iron Storm
Last Gladiators
Legend of Oasis
Magic Knight Rayearth
Marvel vs Street Fighter Import
Mega Man X4
Mystaria
NHL All-Star Hockey
Night Warriors
Nights Into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Saturn Bomberman
Sega Rally Championship
Shining Force III
Shining The Holy Ark
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Collection
Striker '96
Virtua Cop
Virtua Cop 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtual-On
World Series Baseball 2
I am absolutely floored. The Saturn has always been my white whale, I only had one friend that had one when I was a kid so I got to play a few games but they barely even turned up used at local stores let alone yard sales or flea markets where I do most of my shopping. Hell, I only just got my first Saturn a month ago. And for someone to find over half of the Saturn games I'm looking for plus more all in one shot at a yard sale is amazing.

I am absolutely floored. The Saturn has always been my white whale, I only had one friend that had one when I was a kid so I got to play a few games but they barely even turned up used at local stores let alone yard sales or flea markets where I do most of my shopping. Hell, I only just got my first Saturn a month ago. And for someone to find over half of the Saturn games I'm looking for plus more all in one shot at a yard sale is amazing.
Maybe too amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing much this weekend. Another community yard sale, but I overslept and didn't end up getting there until about 10:30. I only ended up grabbing 4 more X360 Guitar Hero/ Rock Band guitars for $15 total. I think 2 Les Paul's, an Aerosmith and a Rock Band 2 guitar, but their still in my vehicle at the moment. Guy wanted $5 a piece but said he'd do all for $15 so thought it was a good deal. It was funny though. The guy said he was only charging $5 a piece for them because they're missing the wires lol, so I'm just like oh yeah, ok well I'll take 'em anyway.

That Saturn lot is AWESOME. I'd love to know what you paid for it as well.

Maybe too amazing.
I don't know how it's too amazing. I paid a couple hundred for it, so he definitely wasn't just giving it away.

"how much for the atari?"

"I don't know, what will you give me for it?"

"so you don't have a price on it? I don't have any idea......what do you want for it?"

"oh it doesn't matter just make an offer"

"10 dollars"
"OH no no no....no....no....no I have to get at least $75 for it"

"but there is a video game store down the street that has like 5 of them for $29.99 each"

"well these sell for a lot of money on ebay!"

"but........this is a yard sale?"

"......................I won't take any less than $75"

This is the second time this has happened in the past month! This is shaping up to be the worst yard sale season ever.....seriously what is wrong with people? What goes through their head at the end of the day when they see that they didn't sell anything? It reminds me of Pawn Stars when someone always wants like triple the value for something, then the expert comes in and tells them what it is really worth and they get mad and have some long story about how the expert is wrong and the item is really worth their asking price. Sorry but I didn't get up at 6am on a Saturday to pay ebay prices

"how much for the atari?"

"I don't know, what will you give me for it?"

"so you don't have a price on it? I don't have any idea......what do you want for it?"

"oh it doesn't matter just make an offer"

"10 dollars"
"OH no no no....no....no....no I have to get at least $75 for it"

"but there is a video game store down the street that has like 5 of them for $29.99 each"

"well these sell for a lot of money on ebay!"

"but........this is a yard sale?"

"......................I won't take any less than $75"

This is the second time this has happened in the past month! This is shaping up to be the worst yard sale season ever.....seriously what is wrong with people? What goes through their head at the end of the day when they see that they didn't sell anything? It reminds me of Pawn Stars when someone always wants like triple the value for something, then the expert comes in and tells them what it is really worth and they get mad and have some long story about how the expert is wrong and the item is really worth their asking price. Sorry but I didn't get up at 6am on a Saturday to pay ebay prices
This is exactly how my weekend went >_<

I had a similar experience last weekend. A lady tells me that she has a boxed SNES inside her house so she runs and grabs it. Comes back with a beat up box, dumps it on the table, and inside was a yellowed console, a N64 controller, and a copy of Super Mario World. That's it. She asks how much I'd pay for it and I said $10 (if you saw the condition of this SNES you would have felt like I was being generous). She looks over to her husband who I didn't realize was already looking at eBay on his phone. He says "well, they're going for $50 on eBay and that's without the box". I told them that wasn't going to happen and that we are just going to be too far apart on this deal, so I asked how much for just the N64 controller and the Super Mario World. She tells me that she would like to only sell them with the SNES since they belong together. Even after telling her that the N64 controller doesn't match with the SNES, she is hesitant about it as if she doesn't believe me and says "ehhhh... I'd still rather sell it all together". So dumb.

I finally saw one of the resellers people were talking about in this thread yesterday.  I decided to head out to a nearby neighborhood (but never actually been there) for a sale and saw an original Xbox and N64.  They both had controllers.  The guy who bought them for what appears to be $40 or 60 was a balding middle-aged overweight guy who double parked his car right outside

I think I saw a backlit model of the GBA SP there, but I left thinking it was the frontlight because of the 2002 mark on it. D'oh.

Made a small pickup today. Wasn't particularly out looking but happened to pass by this place that seems to have a yard sale every week. And as a matter of fact, they do! I'll get to that in a minute, here's what I picked up:

Legend of Mana (PS1) - missing manual
Chrono Cross GH (PS1) - complete, some cracks on case
Tactics Ogre (PS1) - complete, some water damage to manual and artwork

He wanted $2 a piece but I gave him $5 for all and he took it. They could use a little cleaning too, but was pretty happy with the purchase overall. So I asked the guy if he had any other older games and he said yeah a bunch from nintendo, atari, sega and lots of consoles and everything else. So I asked if I could see them, but he said he didn't have them there. He has 5 warehouses full of stuff that he brings a little at a time and sells at his yard sale every Friday. I told him I'd be interested in any old games he has and asked if he could bring some next Friday and i'd stop down. So pretty excited, hopefully he has some more good stuff!

No real major pickups but I picked up a legit Pokemon Emerald (GBA) and Bubsy II (GB). I ended up with $2 in them both. Now here's what I passed on:

First sale had a bunch of games with an NES. Only notable games were Castlevania 3 and the original Ducktales. the rest were garbage games and the NES which needed some TLC. I passed on it for $60.

Then went to another sale with an NES and 8 games with it and the only notable title was SMB3. Passed on that set for $30.

Lastly, I found a sale on the way home from work and she had GBA games for $2 and DVD/Blus for $1. I wanted Lunar Legends and Troy and she wouldn't take $2 for them both so I walked away. Also at that sale I saw my FIRST (obvious) fake pokemon game. It was LeafGreen and it was the wrong label, not positioned on the cart right, wrong color case, and mispelling on the plastic of the case. I almost got it to admire but passed.

Tomorrow there is a sale advertising all kinds of games and I plan on being there first. I don't have hardly any competition so that will be nice.

Went on my first yard sale hunt this morning, was able to get an original xbox and 2x controller s for 15 bucks, everything is in mint condition.

Also seen a ps2 slim and a bunch of games, however I didn't even consider once I saw a 50 dollar price tag for the ps2 slim alone

Resellers are just dominating this area for me right now. 3 of the 10 sales I went to said, "I just sold all my games to some man."

There was 2 small community yard sales today. Made a few decent pickups, nothing huge.

- Final Fight, Lagoon, Tetris 2 & Space Invaders (SNES, cart only) - $5 ; The lady wanted $2 a piece but I offered her $5 and she accepted.

- Diablo (PC) w/ Strategy Guide & a Diablo II Guide - $.25 ; Everything's in mint condition

- Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) - $5 ; Originally $6, but I'm cheap. Awesome condition.

- Game Boy Color Atomic Purple w/ Harry Potter - $3 ; Originally $5, needs a little cleaning but good shape.

- Super Monkey Ball & Simpson's Hit & Run (Gamecube, complete) - $2, good shape.

That's everything and they're from 5 different sales. I honestly wasn't expecting to find anything because I heard from other people that there's usually nothing there, so was happy with what I did come away with.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the one sale bummed me out a little. It was some redneck dirtball family (they're fairly common in this area). Was about to leave and spotted 2 cruddy Xboxes in a box on the ground. Dug through a little and there was about 50 games disc only scattered in the box. Unfortunately they were pretty well destroyed. Some good ones in there too, including Conkers and some Star Wars games. Just can't believe how some people handle their stuff.

Got some stuff for some really cheap prices today, I got an original Xbox and a Dreamcast with controller and VMU for $5 total. I then asked for more games and more were brought out and picked up Mario Kart Wii for $7 which I specifically asked for as I am trying to round out my Wii collection before prices start rising.

Only had time to go to one, and saw three N64 games and two trivia games: Simpsons and Sopranos (sealed).

The games were $5 each and with boxes, but not sure about manuals: Star Wars Racer, Pokemon Snap, and Bassmaster 2000. I was going to pick up Snap, but decided it wasn't really worth getting, especially since I don't own the system.

I had a pretty good haul today,  I saw a listing on craigslist for a tagsale held by a collector and he even had pictures of everything he was getting rid of.  I hit a few other sales first and found nothing but because some people led me on into thinking they had games, I ended up getting to his sale about 20 minutes late.  This was probably the first time that I've been so late to a video game sale in my area and was still the first customer they had.  Here is what I got:

Boxed complete sega master system

3 nintendo 64 consoles(2 with expansion, 1 with jumper)

6 decent to good condition n64 controllers(3 with controller pak)

a six switch atari 2600 with controller and cords great condition

sega dreamcast

2 dreamcast controllers

1 vmu in original packaging(opened but returned to package)

1 sega saturn(i'm sure this doesn't work, it's kind of falling apart)

2 saturn controllers(1 regular, 1 circular style i guess)

original xbox with hook ups in really nice condition

3 crappy games(sports titles and a surfing game for ps2)

all of that was for 60 dollars.  I tested the SMS and it works and looks great.  I haven't had time to test anything else yet.  At a different sale I picked up a $20 ps2 fat with network adapter.  I bought a broken psp(cracked screen) with 3 umd movies and 3 games for 10 dollars at the last sale of the day. Will get rid of that for parts but I do like watching movies on my psp while on trips so it seemed worth it to me.  Movies were Bad news bears, national treasure, and Bad Boys and the games were Worms, Socom, and Need for speed.

Best week I've had in a while since it didn't rain like usual.

So I decided to get up and stop and a few yard sales today. Only found stuff at one but was pleasantly surprised at what I found. First, the boring stuff. Found a TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator. People only wanted a $1 and they flip so easy, so that's always and easy purchase for me.

The big find however was this.
Ia9snai.jpg

I have never seen one in the wild and it unfortunately was the console only. I paid $5 for it and it does turn on however it does seem to have some cd-rom issues. First, it had 2 cds jammed in it and now it doesn't seem to spin the discs so I am probably gonna have to tear it apart. Nevertheless I have never seen one in the wild so it was a nice find whether or not I get it working.

Unbelievably I missed not one, but TWO Turbographics today. One was the system, 5 games for $10, but the even more upsetting one was a tote with the TG-16, Turbo CD, and so many games, boxes and manuals the tote barely closed. The seller wanted $20 for the whole tote but the buyer countered with $5. I should have just said to hell with yard sale ettiquette and jumped in and told her what she had but didn't think fast enough in the moment.

9059169526_ecbb7493a3.jpg

9059169672_b7027fbee0.jpg

Got the wii with wii sports and the Kirby game for $25

My son was crawling through when I snapped pic. Lol

Had a fantastic yard sale day yesterday. I left my house at 6:45 and was back home by 8:15 since I ran out of money

9056777477_aa79e578f2_z.jpg

This was the first sale I went to. I pulled up and saw that they had a gamecube so I thought I would ask about it. It was marked $10 but I offered $5 and they took it. Here's the rundown:

Black Nintendo Gamecube (with Power & A/V)
Black Gamecube Controller
Orange Gamecube Controller
Gamecube Memory Card
Shrek 2
Finding Nemo
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex
Rampage Total Desctruction

9059008500_5cecfbf93b_z.jpg

9056795959_4c15e96078_z.jpg

9056806085_03f226dd70_z.jpg

This was the sale I'd been waiting for al week. It was advertised as a moving/marriage sale and there were lots of games advertised. I got there 30 minutes or so before they were starting to see if they were set up or setting up and was in luck. They had starting putting items out and I asked if they had some games. The lady pulled out a giant tote and said that this was it. She asked if I just wanted the whole tote and I said sure. We talked about it and she said that the games were $2 each and consoles are $5 so she went with $50 for the whole box. I countered and said that the best I literally could do was $40. She accepted it and I got a tote of new stuff!

Nintendo NES system (x2)
Nintendo 64 system (x2)
Memory Expansion jumper pak
DS Lite
N64 power (x2)
Nintendo 64 Official Controllers (x3)
Nintendo 64 Aftermarket Controller
PS2 Controller
PS2 Wireless Controller
SNES Controller
NES Zapper
NES RF Adapter
Playstation Memory Card
Nintendo 64 Memory Card
Legend of Zelda Gold Cart (x2) (NES)
Bases Loaded 2 (x2) (NES)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
R.C. Pro-AM (NES)
Tecmo Bowl (NES)
Dr. Chaos (NES)
Mega Man 3 (NES)
Mega Man 4 (NES)
DuckTales (NES)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
Rescue Rangers (x2) (NES)
Dr. Mario (NES)
Double Dragon (NES)
Golgo 13 (NES)
Tom & Jerry (NES)
Track & Field II (NES)
Mortal Kombat (SNES)
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Super Caesars Palace (SNES)
NBA Showdown (SNES)
Jeopardy! Deluxe Edition (SNES)
Mario Party 2 (N64)
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Gold Cart (N64)
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire (N64)
NFL Blitz (N64)
Mari Kart 64 (N64)
Madden Football 64 (N64)
Gauntlet Legends (N64)
Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
Castlevania (N64)
Bomberman 64 (N64)
Goldeneye 007 (N64)
South Park (N64)
WWF Attitude (N64)
Wrestlemania 2000 (N64)
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (N64)
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero (N64)
Tecmo Bowl Kickoff (DS)
Chicken Shoot (DS)
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (DS)
Worms 2: Open Warfare (DS)
Brain Age (DS)
Contra 4 (DS)

I originally went to this sale on Friday and bought a bunch of Wilton cake pans for my sister's cake business but was told to come back as they had some games they would bring me on Saturday. I get there and She immediately recognizes me and brings me a bag with the games and super in it. She said they were looking for $10 but since this was my last sale of the day, I ended up only having $7 left. She told me to go ahead and that she found more cake pans I could just take to my sister as well. So after all was said and done:

9058992288_77dcc19923_z.jpg

SNES Mini system (with power & RF + RF to multi adapter)
SNES official controller (x3)
SNES aftermarket controller
Wii Composite cables
Super Mario All Stars
Killer Instinct
Mario Paint
Super Mario World
Super Black Bass
Kirby's Avalanche
Barkley's Shut Up and Jam
Pebble Beach Golf Links
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures

That Sega Saturn find is Epic - I would be shaking after buying that lot at a tag sale. Panzer Dragon Saga!!!!!

Unbelievably I missed not one, but TWO Turbographics today. One was the system, 5 games for $10, but the even more upsetting one was a tote with the TG-16, Turbo CD, and so many games, boxes and manuals the tote barely closed. The seller wanted $20 for the whole tote but the buyer countered with $5. I should have just said to hell with yard sale ettiquette and jumped in and told her what she had but didn't think fast enough in the moment.
I just checked your ebay store and you're in Mass? Dude... to hell with being nice, sometimes you gotta be cut throat. Especially when it comes to TurboGrafx games.

So how did you miss them but still know what the price was? You mean you walked up and saw someone else paying for it? That is my worst nightmare!

I just checked your ebay store and you're in Mass? Dude... to hell with being nice, sometimes you gotta be cut throat. Especially when it comes to TurboGrafx games.
Yep, I'm in Central MA. I should be more cutthroat, but I have had it happen before where someone ruins a deal I'm making by offering more. So I normally just try to hold it in, but I already have a space cleared in my retro game room for a TG-16, and in the past month have filled the Saturn and Sega CD spots so the TG-16 is my sole remaining vacant slot.

So how did you miss them but still know what the price was? You mean you walked up and saw someone else paying for it? That is my worst nightmare!
Yep, both were while I was standing there and had to watch in agony! The more upsetting one was in a tote UNDER the table I was at, but I figured it was an empty tote that all the stuff on the table came from. A guy pulled up in a white box truck from an auction house, he read off a list of things they buy (one of which was paying pennyweight for gold/silver... scammer central) one of the things he listed was video game lots so she walked over and pulled the tote out from under me saying it was an NEC system that they didn't put out because she didn't want it to melt. That's when he bought it for $5 and I just stood there, jaw on the floor watching the TG-16 that was literally right in front of me walk away.

Another big one I missed out on was being a few steps behind another guy that buys video games, who scooped up a bunch of N64 games in front of me, including Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64 and a few other good ones all for about 50 cents each.

^^ Don't know how he could be a scammer. You can't pay pennyweight. Pennyweight is the measurement.

Do onto others. I would avoid in being "cutthroat". Karma might bring it back to you.

^^ Don't know how he could be a scammer. You can't pay pennyweight. Pennyweight is the measurement.

Do onto others. I would avoid in being "cutthroat". Karma might bring it back to you.
Maybe it's not popular outside of my area but its very common at flea markets/yard sales even some malls around here where gold buyers will use pennyweight and people's unfamiliarity with it to rip people off. If you measure using pennyweight you multiply by 1.55 to get the weight in grams. So they'll do something like measure in grams and offer the pennyweight price, or measure in pennyweight and offer gram price. It's the difference between getting $28 and $44 for a gram.

And that's why I don't jump in, because I know how it's felt when happened to me.

It all depends on how much they pay per pennyweight. There is no set price. And if a seller and buyer agree on terms noone is getting ripped off. I got a respironics system at sale once brand new never used. I paid $3 for it. It's what the seller wanted. These systems go for $700-$900. If you wanted to you could make an argument about how I ripped her off but at the end of the day we both agreed on price and made the transaction freely.

It all depends on how much they pay per pennyweight. There is no set price. And if a seller and buyer agree on terms noone is getting ripped off. I got a respironics system at sale once brand new never used. I paid $3 for it. It's what the seller wanted. These systems go for $700-$900. If you wanted to you could make an argument about how I ripped her off but at the end of the day we both agreed on price and made the transaction freely.
No I agree with that. To me the seller marking a price that is too low isn't a moral issue, they decided on the price and I paid it. It's different if say someone asked me to make an offer on something that I know is worth good money and I make them a ridiculously low offer. What I've seen them do is say they pay pennyweight, then they flick their scale to weigh grams and pay significantly less then pennyweight. That's dishonest any way you cut it. They establish there going to pay one price and don't.

Mirpkered, seeing any post in this thread by you makes me both extremely happy and terribly sad at the saem time. I am convinced you just sit around every weekend and photograph different things from your collection and say you got it at a yard sale lol.

you sir, are the yard sale king.

All the N64 Games were $1 each
6684405a-03ce-423e-893c-1deb6e039e45_zpsa1fb79c8.jpg

I got all the PS3 games for $40
ea0f986b-79c6-40c5-93eb-0970f4c656ce_zpseeb080a3.jpg

The top two rows were all in a gift bag along with a stack of disc only games all for $2. The bottom row the Wii games were $2/ea and are scratched or cracked, Devil Kings and Arc the Lad were $1/ea and One Piece and Kingdom Hearts were actually in a free pile. The mother at the yard sale said she tried trading them in to Gamestop and they wouldn't take them so they must be worthless because they only pay her $3 for a game she just bought for $60 for her kids.
2710dbe0-f550-4b13-8f38-8dee03782149_zps123134eb.jpg

The Geni/Sega CD combo were $30 with two controllers, and the Gamecube was $20 with 3 controllers and Game Boy Player + Start Up disc
cb9a1d76-6073-4d54-9924-0475b351a775_zpsf5813166.jpg

All of these were $1/ea and Super Monkey Ball had disc only/non-working copies of Double Dash, Wind Waker, Turok, DBZ Sagas and Metroid Prime
d2463ca0-5156-46e2-8fa3-ddc79fd86fa7_zps60ff7bc6.jpg

Mirpkered, seeing any post in this thread by you makes me both extremely happy and terribly sad at the saem time. I am convinced you just sit around every weekend and photograph different things from your collection and say you got it at a yard sale lol.

LOL! I don't take pictures from my collection but being in a small town I come up with some pretty cool stuff on the cheap. That most recent tote was one of my better finds but if you check my flickr page, I have my yard sale adventures from 2007. 2008, 2009, and 2013 there. There were some quality finds there too. And thanks for the compliment!

LOL! I don't take pictures from my collection but being in a small town I come up with some pretty cool stuff on the cheap. That most recent tote was one of my better finds but if you check my flickr page, I have my yard sale adventures from 2007. 2008, 2009, and 2013 there. There were some quality finds there too. And thanks for the compliment!
oh, believe me, I have checked your flickr page and its...disgusting. just disgusting.

I imagine the name of that small town is "hoardedoldgamesforcheapsville". keep it up man, like a boss!

Yep, I'm in Central MA. I should be more cutthroat, but I have had it happen before where someone ruins a deal I'm making by offering more. So I normally just try to hold it in, but I already have a space cleared in my retro game room for a TG-16, and in the past month have filled the Saturn and Sega CD spots so the TG-16 is my sole remaining vacant slot.

Yep, both were while I was standing there and had to watch in agony! The more upsetting one was in a tote UNDER the table I was at, but I figured it was an empty tote that all the stuff on the table came from. A guy pulled up in a white box truck from an auction house, he read off a list of things they buy (one of which was paying pennyweight for gold/silver... scammer central) one of the things he listed was video game lots so she walked over and pulled the tote out from under me saying it was an NEC system that they didn't put out because she didn't want it to melt. That's when he bought it for $5 and I just stood there, jaw on the floor watching the TG-16 that was literally right in front of me walk away.

Another big one I missed out on was being a few steps behind another guy that buys video games, who scooped up a bunch of N64 games in front of me, including Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64 and a few other good ones all for about 50 cents each.
Dude, that's your problem. You always have to ask immediately. DO YOU HAVE ANY VIDEO GAMES, OLD OR NEW? Regardless whether you see them or not, you must ask. That's the number 1 rule. Trust me. It was hard for me at first too but you get over it after a while. That TurboGrafx lot could of been the find of the year. On top of that the guy was only offering $5 for a tote full of TurboGrafx stuff you should of just spoke up and made a legitimate offer of like $40. I know it's tough but sometimes you gotta pay the cost to be the boss.

You absolutely don't steal someone else's deal. That's terrible etiquette and not even slightly cool.

As for asking immediately, that's also a terrible idea. Ya, you'll find stuff, but you'll also immediately let them know that you're interested in games and likely end up paying more. You can't ask for them specifically and then say you don't really care about games. Not to mention probably 25% of those who have games don't even realize it.

I think in the case of the Turbo Graphx that he should have countered with a higher offer. The guy that bought it was clearly a dickbag if he came into the sale with a list of things he would buy for cheap and began reading it aloud.

Yardsales in my area have been dead. Hadn't seen video games in the wild in the longest time until last weekend when I found a Kinect and a few launch 360 games (PDZ, Kameo, GRAW). Was actually thinking about the Kinect, but the sellers were firm at $50, so I said fuck it. The games were all $25 each and not one of them sold.

You absolutely don't steal someone else's deal. That's terrible etiquette and not even slightly cool.

As for asking immediately, that's also a terrible idea. Ya, you'll find stuff, but you'll also immediately let them know that you're interested in games and likely end up paying more. You can't ask for them specifically and then say you don't really care about games. Not to mention probably 25% of those who have games don't even realize it.
If he would of asked in the first place he would of beat out the jackass reseller, who ended up buying a storage bin full of Turbo Grafx games for 5 freaking dollars. The tote was probably worth at the absolute least $200. I'm not a fan of of undercutting but $5 is just a ridiculous lowball from some one who is clearly out to resell the items.

Also why are you afraid to ask? People usually keep all of the good stuff in the house thinking it's not worth their time to even sell it. That's why I always try to ask.

If he would of asked in the first place he would of beat out the jackass reseller, who ended up buying a storage bin full of Turbo Grafx games for 5 freaking dollars. The tote was probably worth at the absolute least $200. I'm not a fan of of undercutting but $5 is just a ridiculous lowball from some one who is clearly out to resell the items.

Also why are you afraid to ask? People usually keep all of the good stuff in the house thinking it's not worth their time to even sell it. That's why I always try to ask.
I actually wear a T-Shirt I had made to yard sales that says "I Buy Video Games" with some related graphics. It works about as often as it doesn't, I get as many people go "Oh yea I bet you'd like to buy video games at a yard sale" as ones that go "Oh you buy video games? My kids have some in the house they never touch. I can run inside and grab them if you want."

That is how I got these last year:
DSCF1402.jpg

Of course you ask. But you have to spend a minute or two looking first. If you can find them without asking you can act like you're doing them a fagor taking it off their hands instead of the other way around. Asking should be the last thing you do before leaving. You'd be shocked how many people don't even realise they have games in their sale.

I also never just say games. I say dvds or old video games and I say it very nonchalant. Try to seem as uninterested as possible.

Nothing much this week.

:pc: Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic

:pc: Star Wars: Empire At War

Priced at $2 each, Got them for $2 total.

Walked to one that was like three houses away. Picked up a GBA SP case, the long one with the grey front and the black strap. Looked like new and it's definitely an upgrade over the switch and carry case I have now. Also got a car charger for it. 50 cents each for those.

Also grabbed the Dancing Baby CD with the holographic front since it was a quarter.

Saw some decent DVDs for $1 each, but they were all full screen.

Tomorrow is another community yard sale so hopefully I find some stuff. The only game I've bought this year was last weekend a copy of Pro-Wrestling for the NES for $2.

Walked to one that was like three houses away. Picked up a GBA SP case, the long one with the grey front and the black strap. Looked like new and it's definitely an upgrade over the switch and carry case I have now. Also got a car charger for it. 50 cents each for those.

Also grabbed the Dancing Baby CD with the holographic front since it was a quarter.

Saw some decent DVDs for $1 each, but they were all full screen.

Tomorrow is another community yard sale so hopefully I find some stuff. The only game I've bought this year was last weekend a copy of Pro-Wrestling for the NES for $2.
The last time I went over to a "community" yard sale was Northumberland and it was terrible, people packed up early and everything.

Is the one is Sunbury any good?

Great morning:

3DO w/ all cords, controller and 4 games: Immercenary, John Madden Football, 3D Atlas, Gex (all CIB except Gex is disc only). 5.00

Mario Kart Double Dash: 5.00

Super Mario Sunshine: 5.00

Sonic Advance: 1.00

GBA SP w/ carrying case and 6 games: Yoshi's Island, Power Rangers, various kids games. Yoshi's Island was the only good game. 15.00

Spectral Force 3 (360): 2.00

Mario Quiz Cards: 1.00

Prism Light the Way (DS): 1.00

Sword of the Berserk Guts Rage and Next Tetris On Line (DC): 5.00 for the pair.

Pretty good day I must say.

I got a Genesis Model 2 system with all hooks and a Six button controller for $2

I then got an NES controller and Tecmo Super Bowl for $1

Not too bad, I suppose. 

bread's done
Back