2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

Bought a Dualshock 2 for $3 today, havent tested it. It was super dirty so I gave it a good scrubbing and its drying. 

Saw a dirty NES with cables, a controller, a Zapper, and Mario Bros/Duck Hunt in the glasscase.......$50!  I swear the douche manager with the huge hipster beard does that to piss me off. Then he probably buys it afterwards. Hes the one famous for putting the $70 sticker on Waynes World for NES and saying "THEY WERE GOING FOR LIKE $150 ON EBAY!". That was gone the next time I went in of course! Some girl told her man friend about it and he says "HA $50 THATS INSANE, THIS IS GOODWILL!"

The ironic part was how they put up this poster that mentioned something like "Great at providing jobs.....also Good for bargain hunting!" Is that why consoles I use to find for $5-$20 are now $35-$70? Or how games went from $1 to $2 to $4 to sometimes whatever you see listed on Ebay???

Does it look like this? That's the only site where I can find a few listings of it, but can't find any real info.
Yep, that's the one. I may just throw it up on ebay and see where it goes.

I found these at another thrift today, but ultimately passed on them. I couldn't even find/ID them, as I've been out of GI Joe since the 80s.

I'm assuming this one is Zartan, although I couldn't find anything that matched him online. He's dated 1996.

And this one, I'd guess is a version of Cobra Commander, but fuck if I know. Dated 2003 under his boot. Under the rubber mask is a charred/melted face. Also seemed to be highly articulated with clicking joints.

I know the third one is a Sigma 6 Duke from my years working at Toys R Us.

The whole bag was $4. I may go back tomorrow and grab it.... maybe.

EDIT: I found the Cobra Commander. Panned as possible the worst GI Joe figure in history. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm from North Hills. I used to visit that store often, but they usually had nothing good or overpriced stuff. I also remember seeing a Star Wars VHS set for like $75. (I just found a sealed version of it on eBay today for $20. Sealed.) I don't know if it was expensive at that point or what, but it seemed way overpriced.
well if you ever see someone in a dark blue volkswagon GLI at either GW, HPB, The Exchange or anywhere else and they have glasses, thats me. say hi, and maybe we can game together sometime!!!!! (ps3 and xbl tags are the same as here so add me)

today, had some more luck. first, at a GW on the east side I went to I found a Gang Load of manga. I mean, like 60 volumes worth. mostly chobits and fruit basket, but if i really liked anime the last few weeks would have been fantastic. I did find resident evil 4 on ps2 for 5.99 and passed because it was too much. but in the case, i found star wars battlefront 2 on ps2 for 3 bones. picked it up because the game is great!

on the way to a meeting at my office on the north side, stopped back at community thrift because they gave me a coupon for a dollar off my purchase last time i was there. for a whole 2.18 (with tax), I got

Bad Religion Stranger than Fiction CD
Twisted Metal 4 disc only
2K college hoops 07 Xbox 360

all of it was half off, and the coupon made it worth it. Inside the 2K7game there was a disc copy of 2K9 NBA, which is why i picked it up. 2 games that cheap, why not right? well, the NBA one is cracked on the inner ring, and my xbox wont read it (makes noises i have never ever heard before either when spinning it). But, i looked up the value of college hoops and was shocked. guess march madness makes those NCAA basketball games go up. Its not bad, and my girlfriend was shocked that her school (university of north florida) was in the game, especially since her school isnt known for sports. After playing games with them, I believe her lol.

Stranger than Fiction is one of the first CDs I bought. I remember seeing them open for Pearl Jam July 11, 1995 at Soldier Field (my first major concert)...And since I am a crazy person I just checked ebay and noticed someone has their stub listed for $20. Mine is in better shape, so I need to go to my parents house to find it later and to put it in a baseball card case.  :whee:

EDIT: and now you know why my brother calls me "rain man". I do have an uncanny ability to find anything I own amongst hundreds of thousands of items. (or at least narrow it to a small area). Though for some reason I can't find my CD lens cleaner.

CIMG1960.jpg

Had some luck at Savers yesterday:

Nerf N-Strike Elite pack for the Wii 9.99
Super Mario Galaxy Wii(with My Sims for Wii also in the case) 4.99
Yu-Gi-Oh! Cards(have no idea about these but for the price) 0.99...
Not in picture Grand Theft Auto San Andreas PS2(traded to someone already) 2.99

Nerf thing is sealed, goes for a decent amount on amazon, so probably going there to fund some more video game hunting. My Sims was under Super Matrio Galaxy disc, both have some scratches, hopefully they work. Yu-Gi-Oh! cards were only picked uo cause they were only .99, figured what the hell, maybe something will be worth something in the bag. Craigslist deal coming up in alittle bit...

Those nerf things were free after coupon at BB a long time ago. I still have about 8 of them. I used to know what color the gun was by the packaging, but I can't remember anymore. I think yours has the gun pictured and if it had a little sticker on the front it had and orange and yellow gun inside.

Stranger than Fiction is one of the first CDs I bought. I remember seeing them open for Pearl Jam July 11, 1995 at Soldier Field (my first major concert)...And since I am a crazy person I just checked ebay and noticed someone has their stub listed for $20. Mine is in better shape, so I need to go to my parents house to find it later and to put it in a baseball card case. :whee:

EDIT: and now you know why my brother calls me "rain man". I do have an uncanny ability to find anything I own amongst hundreds of thousands of items. (or at least narrow it to a small area). Though for some reason I can't find my CD lens cleaner.
the stranger than fiction tour was one of my first shows too! i still have my shirt, its beat to hell.

strange note - they did a "christmas" album last year, proceeds went to a charity for surviors of priest sexual abuse.

Those nerf things were free after coupon at BB a long time ago. I still have about 8 of them. I used to know what color the gun was by the packaging, but I can't remember anymore. I think yours has the gun pictured and if it had a little sticker on the front it had and orange and yellow gun inside.
Yep, I had a few and, IIRC, I flipped the games to GS and kept the Nerf guns. Good times!

Ok, first off the typical stuff I find.   :ps2: Metal Arms was $2, :ds: Contact was $7 (more than I'd like to pay, but it was worth it for a complete copy), 007 Nightfire was $2, Columns was $1, and the Atari 2600 paddles were $3 (been finding more of these lately for some reason).

med_gallery_350075_7875_19216.jpg

Then I stop by a church operated thrift I only go to once a week at most, and I found these five CIB, great shape boxed Virtual Boy games (the only box that is somewhat damaged is Pinball).  Got all of these for $40, which is by no means a steal, but how often do you find boxed VB games (or VB games period?).

med_gallery_350075_7875_29406.jpg

Of course the clerk had to crush my spirits, saying that earlier that day some guy bought the other half, which he said were more valuable.  He only remembered a Mario and a Wario game (guessing Mario Clash and Wario Land), but I didn't want to pry more.  I could of just missed out on premium boxed titles like Jack Bros, Waterworld, Nester's Bowling... too painful to think about.

These VB games are up to trade / buy, I won't ask for much over what I paid if its going to a CAG collector, so PM me if you are interested.

Never found virtual boy games before  NICE!!

------

Hit a few thrift stores today because the weather was nice and because I had to go to another area to pick up some games I bought online. Found some stuff, saw old friends/competition, found out SAVERS had Duck Tales 2 on NES and sold it for $99 within a few minutes of it being put out during my time off from thrifting. I had to hit dollar tree and SAVERS is next store and since I had had a lucky day at other stores I went in there too. My luck continued. Pics to come...

I am currently trying to work out a deal on a 3DO, but I think $100 is as low as she will go for the system and 10 games.

Never found virtual boy games before NICE!!

------

Hit a few thrift stores today because the weather was nice and because I had to go to another area to pick up some games I bought online. Found some stuff, saw old friends/competition, found out SAVERS had Duck Tales 2 on NES and sold it for $99 within a few minutes of it being put out during my time off from thrifting. I had to hit dollar tree and SAVERS is next store and since I had had a lucky day at other stores I went in there too. My luck continued. Pics to come...

I am currently trying to work out a deal on a 3DO, but I think $100 is as low as she will go for the system and 10 games.
$99 for Ducktales 2 is by no means any sort of bargain, that's about retail for that game.

$99 for Ducktales 2 is by no means any sort of bargain, that's about retail for that game.
I agree, but it just shows how quickly stuff is bought in my area. I think savers is doing their stamp cards right now, so in theory they may have payed $70 for it, but I agree not a crazy deal.

I agree, but it just shows how quickly stuff is bought in my area. I think savers is doing their stamp cards right now, so in theory they may have payed $70 for it, but I agree not a crazy deal.
Yeah, there's a retro gaming bubble going on right now, and it's about to burst, and lots of people are going to lose a lot of money.

What makes you think that this is going to happen soon?
Because it's a fad, prices are being driven up artificially high to to uneven distribution of resources, and once the fad dies down (and they all die down), there's going to be a lot of hoarders, scalpers, and resellers trying to unload the inventory they've been saving up.

Little pickup from goodwill, only store locally that does any electronics, luckily they get quite a bit in.

Purple Gamecube controller in awesome shape - 5$
Dragonball z Ultimate Battle 22R for ps1 - 2$
Ssx for ps2 with a blue memory card inside - 5$
2 cases for my phone - 1$ each

8ezy4azu.jpg

There was a rummage sale by my house. It was in a craigslist ad and there was a picture of a n64 games and controller lot. There was a lot of really good games. Goldeneye, ocarina of time, Mario party 2, Kirby, yoshi, conkers bad fur day (with a blockbuster sticker on the front) and a lot more. I didn't get there til 9:30 and it opened at 9:00. I had to wait for my girlfriend to finish getting ready and pack our son all up to go. I was half expecting it to be already gone. Of course when I get there it's gone and I ask if someone was there right when they opened. They said yes..... Of course there was. Then I asked how much they paid for it......... 50 CENTS A PIECE!!!!! You have to be fucking kidding me. I miss the sale by 20-30 minutes and someone already bought it. I know it's my fault. I made it a point that I'm going to be at any advertised sale as soon as they open. They just got the whole lot which I figured out was roughly $300 bucks for like $14 dollars. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu!

See if you dump the girlfriend, you can get all the game you want, be on time, and have extra money for stuff...Of course you will feel lonely and your games will not fill the void, no matter how many you buy.

That got dark really fast ;)

Got three wireless guitars for :360: for about $15 OTD. 2 Rock band 3 and one guitar hero 3. All three powered on and appear to be in good condition. Have been looking for a deal on a wireless guitar to complete my band games collection and was in talks with a couple CAGs. Probably would have paid $10 for one if I found it on Craigslist to tell you the truth.

Saw two drumsets one with symbols :360: and a microphone as well. Drums were $14.99. Would have got one if 1. I didnt already have one. 2. I was on foot and have been lugging three guitars on yhe bus for a couple hours now lol.

well if you ever see someone in a dark blue volkswagon GLI at either GW, HPB, The Exchange or anywhere else and they have glasses, thats me. say hi, and maybe we can game together sometime!!!!! (ps3 and xbl tags are the same as here so add me)

today, had some more luck. first, at a GW on the east side I went to I found a Gang Load of manga. I mean, like 60 volumes worth. mostly chobits and fruit basket, but if i really liked anime the last few weeks would have been fantastic. I did find resident evil 4 on ps2 for 5.99 and passed because it was too much. but in the case, i found star wars battlefront 2 on ps2 for 3 bones. picked it up because the game is great!

on the way to a meeting at my office on the north side, stopped back at community thrift because they gave me a coupon for a dollar off my purchase last time i was there. for a whole 2.18 (with tax), I got

Bad Religion Stranger than Fiction CD
Twisted Metal 4 disc only
2K college hoops 07 Xbox 360

all of it was half off, and the coupon made it worth it. Inside the 2K7game there was a disc copy of 2K9 NBA, which is why i picked it up. 2 games that cheap, why not right? well, the NBA one is cracked on the inner ring, and my xbox wont read it (makes noises i have never ever heard before either when spinning it). But, i looked up the value of college hoops and was shocked. guess march madness makes those NCAA basketball games go up. Its not bad, and my girlfriend was shocked that her school (university of north florida) was in the game, especially since her school isnt known for sports. After playing games with them, I believe her lol.
One of the reasons the 989 Sports (Sony San Diego) on PS1 & College Hoops 2K games on PS2, XBox, 360, & PS3 were so popular was that it had every Div. I school in the game. The EA games would always only have the I-A football level basketball teams in (about 1/3 of the total NCAA basketball teams.)

Sorry for the newb question but what is Savers? We have Goodwills in STL but never heard of Savers.
They are a chain thrift store. They are called value village in some areas. They have a couple in Missouri if I remember correctly.

Not a bad haul at the Goodwill today:

Wii Super Mario Galaxy 2 (CIB) - $3

GC Super Mario Sunshine (missing manual) - $3

GC Metroid Prime (missing manual) - $3

Had to laugh, these were on the floor and yet in their glass case were a bunch of PS2 titles (sports & GH) & a few N64 carts (sports)...

Question - the SMS cover says "Not for Resale", was this a pack-in when the GC came out?

No, the launch "Mario" game for Gamecube was Luigi's Mansion, plus there was no pack-in at launch.

It's likely came from this.
The first pack-in bundle I recall was the platinum Metroid Prime bundle. That's when I jumped on-board the GC bandwagon.

EDIT: Well, looks like the Sunshine Bundle hit just before Prime even came out, and the Prime bundle coincided with the Player's Choice version. Maybe I should read before I talk, since my memory obviously sucks. :lol:

Found ANOTHER Pokemon Master Trainer board game, this time for $0.50.  Box is horribly trashed, but I can use it to complete any incomplete ones I have at least. :D

Also found a sealed copy of Deer Avenger 4, also for $0.50...  Look up the price if you want a bit of a shock. :lol:

Found a few more Nerf Mavericks for .99 each.  Big find of the day goes to a brand new in package Nintendo Mini Classics Spiderman for 1.99.  Cheapest price on Amazon is $75, with other Mini Classics going for $20+.

I also found a Wall-E learning laptop for 1.99.  Not sure yet if I'm going to keep it for my kids or sell it

They are a chain thrift store. They are called value village in some areas. They have a couple in Missouri if I remember correctly.
Yeah in Missouri there are a couple Value Villages in the Springfirld area. But Yeah STL is GW only for the most part. Also there is a buy by the pound goodwill in STL. But it is kinda scary.

I'm ashamed that as a kid I thought the first Deer Avenger was hilarious (as well as Pyst and Panty Raider). Kids find some really stupid stuff funny.

In a similar vain, Chex Quest is also worth pretty good money. You'd never guess it, though.

I'm ashamed that as a kid I thought the first Deer Avenger was hilarious (as well as Pyst and Panty Raider). Kids find some really stupid stuff funny.

In a similar vain, Chex Quest is also worth pretty good money. You'd never guess it, though.
Back then, I think I played the first Deer Avenger and Pyst (or maybe just demos) and thought they were "funny" but not something I'd like to play.

But Chex Quest is boss.

hmm never heard of any of those...I remember getting a demo of "redneck rampage" and controversy when the demo came out.

That reminds me. I have a half life demo mini disc (gamecube size) that is still sealed and I can't find anything about it on the internet. Does anyone know where that came from?

Nothing huge today, unfortunately.  Got a Catchphrase Jr for .99, TMNT Mutant Nightmare :gc: for $3 and a Netgear N600 router for 2.99.  Even for being a few years old, the n600 has amazing reviews and I'm sure it's a step up from my craptastic Cisco e1000.

Yeah in Missouri there are a couple Value Villages in the Springfirld area. But Yeah STL is GW only for the most part. Also there is a but by the pound goodwill in STL. But it is kinda scary.
You ain't kidding about the scary part! I was one of two managers at the Buy-the-Pound Goodwill store in STL the first six months of opening. There were actual fist fights over the shoes nearly every day! So glad I don't work there anymore!

Although, I did get a few great finds there, some sealed Blu Rays and PC games for under $1. Doesn't happen often though, mostly junk and clothes.

hmm never heard of any of those...I remember getting a demo of "redneck rampage" and controversy when the demo came out.

That reminds me. I have a half life demo mini disc (gamecube size) that is still sealed and I can't find anything about it on the internet. Does anyone know where that came from?
Redneck Rampage is an entirely different ball of awesome. :D

Nothing huge today, unfortunately. Got a Catchphrase Jr for .99, TMNT Mutant Nightmare :gc: for $3 and a Netgear N600 router for 2.99. Even for being a few years old, the n600 has amazing reviews and I'm sure it's a step up from my craptastic Cisco e1000.
I still love finding those electronic Catchphrases, especially the Jr. version, easy seller, easily shipped.

Every time I pass by the router section I think about upgrading my current one, but I never pull the trigger (pure laziness). I'm more interested in upgrading my cable modem to one that supports DOCSIS 3.0, but again, lazy.

I still love finding those electronic Catchphrases, especially the Jr. version, easy seller, easily shipped.

Every time I pass by the router section I think about upgrading my current one, but I never pull the trigger (pure laziness). I'm more interested in upgrading my cable modem to one that supports DOCSIS 3.0, but again, lazy.
Yeah, this Jr has leaky batteries, so I'll have to clean it up first, but it should make a quick turnaround.

And my E1000 has strict/moderate NAT, which makes online gaming a bitch. But I never bothered doing anything about it until I saw this router today. I'll get it hooked up tonight and see if it's an improvement. If not, I'll throw it up on AZ and hopefully make $20-30. BTW - this is the 3700v3 model n600, not the cheaper 3400 version.

I had my best day in forever today.

At the first Goodwill I went to I found:

Star Wars Obi Wan (Xbox) $2.99 (I've heard it sucks but... its Star Wars so what the heck)

Army Men World War: Land Sea Air (PS1): $1.99

Twisted Metal 4 (PS1): $1.99

Tomb Raider III (PS1): $1.99

Silent Hill (PS1): $1.99

The only one I had was Silent Hill. That will pay for the rest and then some. All complete and in good shape. They also had a copy of Hot Shots Golf I looked at but the disc was terrible so I passed.

Then I hit a Savers and found:

Elder Scrolls III Morrowind Game of the Year Edition (Xbox): $6.99

Bad News Baseball (NES): $1.99

Super Off-Road (NES): $1.99

Sega Pico w/ Tails and the Music Maker: $4.99

The NES games I grabbed because they are cheap. Plus, Off-Road isn't bad, never heard of Bad News Baseball but it was cheap. Morrowind is to flip, more than I like to spend but since its complete I should be able to get at least 30 for it. The Pico was my 3rd, lmao, and they don't sell, plus they're expensive to ship. But when I saw Tails was in it I had to grab it, it is one of the more desirable games on the system and I didn't have it. Also saw a boxed (not complete) game boy printer for $4.99. Was going to grab it but when I opened it, the batteries had all exploded and were absolutely disgusting. They aren't that expensive so I decided I didn't want to deal with cleaning that. They also had a boxed Sears Super Video Arcade (basically an Intellivision) which was cool but $34.99 was a bit more than I wanted to spend, especially since it was missing everything but the system and the box was in awful shape.

Stopped at one more Goodwill and found:

Half Life (PS2): $3.99

Kessen II (PS2): $1.99

Scenes From a Marriage Criterion (DVD): $6.99

One of my favorite movies for way less than the normal price is awesome, though I wish it was the normal DVD price of $1.99. Half-Life and Kessen II were nice as I didn't have them. Also saw copies of Resident Evil Directors Cut and Resident Evil 2 that were missing the discs sadly.

Overall I'm very happy. Morrowind and Silent Hill will make me back more than I spent.

CIMG1962.jpg

Definitely has to be my most rediculous Savers find ever,
hopefully all of it fit in the picture.

NES Advantage Controller in box
Sega Game Gear system in box
AsciiPad for Snes in box
Gameboy Compact Carrying Case in box
Gameboy Advance SP Carrying Case
Super Bomberman Party Pak SNES in box
Mario Paint SNES in box
F1 Race with 4 player adapter for Gameboy in box
Aladdin SNES in box
Death of Superman SNES in box
Final Fight SNES in box
Stanley Cup SNES in box
BattleClash SNES in box
Super Bomberman 2 SNES in box
Populous SNES in box
Star Trek Next Generation SNES in box
Duke Nukem 64 in box
Bomberman Hero N64 in box
Quest 64 in box
Bomberman 64 in box
X-Men Game Gear in box
Hogan's Alley NES in box
Bart vs the World NES in box
Silent Service NES in box
Fester's Quest NES
Milon's Secret Castle NES
Gumshoe NES
Pinball NES

From what I've looked through so far, all games have instructions and cardboard inside,
some missing plastic around game. Total came out to alittle under 120 bucks(bought 2 toys
for about 10 bucks also), most I ever spent at a Savers in one shot. Missed out on Lethal
Enforcers SNES pack with gun which someone else grabbed while I looked at this stuff.
Also one other N64 and one NES game, neither one that I can remember, but nothing rare
that I know of.

Are dollar tree stores worth a trip? There's one on my route to savers I've been thinking about checking out. Also at the savers haul above, I have 4-5 savers within my area but mostly hit the one near me. I'm seriously considering hitting them all early on a weekend.

First good finds in a while.

Osiris Rhythm Remix Skate Shoes - 9.99

Conker Live & Reloaded Xbox-  2.99

Star Wars Battlefront 2 Xbox - 2.99

Are dollar tree stores worth a trip? There's one on my route to savers I've been thinking about checking out.
If you need bubble mailers and don't want to buy them in 100 Qty online, then you can get a two pack for a buck (smaller and larger sizes both the same price).

As far as games go, I've seen a few Rock Band Track Packs discs there, as well as some of those Burger King Xbox / 360 games, but that's about it.

Definitely has to be my most rediculous Savers find ever,
hopefully all of it fit in the picture.

NES Advantage Controller in box
Sega Game Gear system in box
AsciiPad for Snes in box
Gameboy Compact Carrying Case in box
Gameboy Advance SP Carrying Case
Super Bomberman Party Pak SNES in box
Mario Paint SNES in box
F1 Race with 4 player adapter for Gameboy in box
Aladdin SNES in box
Death of Superman SNES in box
Final Fight SNES in box
Stanley Cup SNES in box
BattleClash SNES in box
Super Bomberman 2 SNES in box
Populous SNES in box
Star Trek Next Generation SNES in box
Duke Nukem 64 in box
Bomberman Hero N64 in box
Quest 64 in box
Bomberman 64 in box
X-Men Game Gear in box
Hogan's Alley NES in box
Bart vs the World NES in box
Silent Service NES in box
Fester's Quest NES
Milon's Secret Castle NES
Gumshoe NES
Pinball NES

From what I've looked through so far, all games have instructions and cardboard inside,
some missing plastic around game. Total came out to alittle under 120 bucks(bought 2 toys
for about 10 bucks also), most I ever spent at a Savers in one shot. Missed out on Lethal
Enforcers SNES pack with gun which someone else grabbed while I looked at this stuff.
Also one other N64 and one NES game, neither one that I can remember, but nothing rare
that I know of.
I'd imagine this is what it would be like to see a star up close. Looks like that savers had a new game person ;)

bread's done
Back